Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
There is a point to that whiny statement though. The window provided by having such a great Head Coach-QB combo is slowly closing up due to how old Brady is and at times it can be frustrating seeing just how close they come to winning it again and just falling shy. So really that is more preemptive whining about missed opportunities when the Pats lose their most potent weapons and are forced to rebuild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I'd cut my awful dick off to see the Browns get to the super bowl

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hunt11 posted:

There is a point to that whiny statement though. The window provided by having such a great Head Coach-QB combo is slowly closing up due to how old Brady is and at times it can be frustrating seeing just how close they come to winning it again and just falling shy. So really that is more preemptive whining about missed opportunities when the Pats lose their most potent weapons and are forced to rebuild.

It's day one of free agency man.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Rap posted:

I'd cut my awful dick off to see the Browns get to the super bowl

A favorite team making the Super Bowl loses a lot of feeling when you cannot masturbate to it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kalli posted:

It's day one of free agency man.

I was talking about the second whinny statement about winning, not the one that says that having a less then desired outcome on the 1st day of free agency means the end of the world.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Let's play spot the dog whistle

[quote]Well, to each his own, I suppose.

It certainly seems as though attitudes are a bit different this generation. I don't remember too many players being okay with the fact that they'd be docked 10 thousand dollars because they "felt like" wearing a certain color of shoe that make them look cooler with their uniforms. 10 thousand dollars could be a lot of things to a lot of people. The disrespect alone is a bit disgusting.

"Swag" was called being tough and playing good fundamental football.

While there were always a handful of players who gambled, drank too much, smoked, etc--I also don't remember "up to 50%" of the players doing drugs according to several different former players in the past few years. Hell, they basically announce that they'll be drug tests once in year in the middle of April, and you STILL see tons of people failing them and giving up their multi-million dollar careers. How the hell you do explain that on such a scale, as opposed to the one/two players on each team that would be the bad boys in former days?

Yes...I do believe they are a bit dumber in this generation. That's my opinion, and while you may not agree, I'm sticking to it./quote]

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
It might be because I don't spend my day looking to be outraged, but I read that three times and it doesn't come off as racist or dog whistle or anything like that. Standard "back in my day" stuff there. Reserve the outrage for something which deserves it

edit

VVV It is a bad post, but not exactly full of dog whistles

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 14, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't think one needs to be outraged to find that to be a bad post from another forum on the other hand.

Back in my day they didn't test for poo poo and dudes were playing games coked out of their minds but no one got busted, now you see idiots busted all the time!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ribsauce posted:

It might be because I don't spend my day looking to be outraged, but I read that three times and it doesn't come off as racist or dog whistle or anything like that. Standard "back in my day" stuff there. Reserve the outrage for something which deserves it

edit

VVV It is a bad post, but not exactly full of dog whistles

It is definitely a "in my time" thing, but the calling out of swag in general and shoes in particular can be read as dog whistling. That said the whole "in my generation" thing is about the dumbest poo poo ever.

Luckily True Detective did a far better job of rebutting it than I ever could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeePAXG7uBw

:allears:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I know people aren't the biggest xkcd fans here, but I always liked this comic:

https://xkcd.com/1227/

Basically every generation thinks that the next one is lazy and succumbs to whatever new technology and that personal interactions are dying out. Once people reach a certain age, their generation becomes the greatest and wisest when really its just the one with the largest sense of entitlement.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

swickles posted:

Basically every generation thinks that the next one is lazy and succumbs to whatever new technology and that personal interactions are dying out. Once people reach a certain age, their generation becomes the greatest and wisest when really its just the one with the largest sense of entitlement.

I like True Detective better, less reading

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

I dunno man, I think our generation is pretty lousy at everything. Except being immature manchildren and pixie girls.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sash! posted:

I dunno man, I think our generation is pretty lousy at everything. Except being immature manchildren and pixie girls.

What is a pixie girl?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sash! posted:

Of course you do, you are the old dude who complains about the youths.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Chichevache posted:

What is a pixie girl?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Is that a meme on top of another meme?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sash! posted:

you don't count, you were born a 40 year old man

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Sash! posted:

By vast majority the most recent generation is smarter than the past ones. They have greater tools at their disposal and a larger knowledge base that they are expected to absorb. Overall this leads to a better informed more capable populace, so much so in fact that around every 5 years IQ tests need to be made more difficult because otherwise the average score would rest above 100.

At least that's what I've heard.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Grittybeard posted:

Is that a meme on top of another meme?

No clue, I just GISed Zooey Deschanel. Looks like a poorly chosen picture to meme to me.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

By vast majority the most recent generation is smarter than the past ones. They have greater tools at their disposal and a larger knowledge base that they are expected to absorb. Overall this leads to a better informed more capable populace, so much so in fact that around every 5 years IQ tests need to be made more difficult because otherwise the average score would rest above 100.

At least that's what I've heard.

That's the Flynn effect. There's some evidence it may have run out of steam over the last decade or two.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
IQ tests measure about as much as punters' bench reps

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Sash! posted:

Hopefully we're at least better at not covering up child rape

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rasczak posted:

Hopefully we're at least better at not covering up child rape

Actually, we probably are, because we understand the computer better and know that no email is safe. If every conversation in the Sandusky thing had been face to face, there'd be no evidence it ever happened.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:
A rare offseason post for this gem. The rumors of a trade that would send Schaub to the Raiders spurred this post on Texans site Battle Red Blog:

an idiot posted:

keep talking trash about Oakland....you hillbillies!!!
Its Raider Nation all The way baby….a lot of people said the same thing about Jim Plunkett years ago….then he goes to Oakland and wins two Super Bowls….you guys have no sense of loyalty….Shaub played hard for you guys….last year wasn’t all his fault…dont forget who gave you guys some good seasons….but dont any of you ever disrespect Oakland until you win something…..hillbillies

Ah yes, the famous hills of the Texas Gulf Coast. Also nobody had been talking trash about Oakland up to that point, and frankly the little buzz there was was about maybe getting a second day pick for Matt Schaub instead of just getting rid of him for cap space.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

We deserve the trash talk.

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree
TJ Ward was on Sirius NFL radio today or recently, whatever, and said

SiriusXM NFL Radio ‏@SiriusXMNFL 5m

#Broncos SS @BossWard43: I appreciate everything the #Browns did for me and their fans...but I wanted to go to a place where I could win.

How do Browns fans respond?

quote:

Really can't blame him since he couldn't win here on his own merit. TJ really needs other talent around him to be a winner, and Browns just did not have enough help on Defense to cover for his deficiencies. I have been saying it since Shurmur was here, Ward has been overrated by most everyone, at least he knows he needs help to become a winner.

Maybe that's not what he meant, but that's what it is.

Now that he has moved on to a team that can help him win, we can now start winning some games with players that already know how to win in Whitner and Dansby, we don't have to rely on guys that were drafted into a crap team and played up to that level of crapiness. The Peter Principle has been the Browns m.o. for a long time.

quote:

Guys that don't want to be part of the solution (TJ Ward) are the players who were holding us back in the first place. We will be better off going forward with the Whitners and Dansbys of the World who actually want to be here and be the catalysts for the coming resurgence of Cleveland Browns football in Northeast Ohio. And it IS coming ...

The Browns resurgence is coming as surely as the South rising again.

A guy who was both an All Pro and Pro Bowler this year really loving sucked and held back this glorious 4-12 team from, like, 10 or more wins totally.

quote:

"My 4-12 team let me walk so I took what I could get.", lol.

:laugh:

quote:

He's gonna be pretty upset when the Browns knock Denver out of the Playoffs this year then.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Just like in '89...and '87...and '86...

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

whypick1 posted:

Just like in '89...and '87...and '86...

I will cut you.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
If you dont already read the PFT comments, you should. They are... incredible.

There is one particular commentor, thevikesarebest, who comments on nearly everything Vikings and, inexplicably, Seahawks, related. I like to think that this is the persona Gendo has taken on since leaving TFF.

thevikesarebest says:
Mar 20, 2014 3:46 PM
The shehawks continue to desperately try to sign players from the Vikings.Going from the vikings to the the shehawks is like going from bill gates to working the drive thru at mcdonalds.have fun with your Ped hawks.SKOL

thevikesarebest says:
Mar 14, 2014 3:37 PM
The eagles are another laughable franchise who tries to emulate what the vikings are doing.AP>sproles/McCoy.SKOL

thevikesarebest says:
Jan 30, 2014 3:38 PM
The shehawks franchise is a joke.THE VI KINGS ARE WHERE ITS AT.the hawks will lose like usual!

thevikesarebest says:
Feb 5, 2014 3:35 PM
The carebears aren’t ready for the Viking dynasty that begins next season.#VIKINGS=2014NFCNORTH/SBCHAMPS

Anyway, this guy's posts own and really get people riled up. I love him.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 21, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

quote:

The shehawks continue to desperately try to sign players from the Vikings.Going from the vikings to the the shehawks is like going from bill gates to working the drive thru at mcdonalds.have fun with your Ped hawks.SKOL

Huh?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
It's a Harvin reference.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
What is SKOL?

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

AAA DOLFAN posted:

What is SKOL?

Back when I played WoW I think my Hunter tamed it for a pet

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

What is SKOL?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skol,_Vikings

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh ok. Thank you chiche I would have never ever guessed it was an actual thing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Oh ok. Thank you chiche I would have never ever guessed it was an actual thing.

I assumed there had to be something to it if he kept repeating it. I expected it stand for something though, like "Super 'Kings Over Lions" or some equally forced wordplay.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I always confuse it with Skoal, the chewing tobacco.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
"Skol" is a Swedish toast, not a loving acronym about the NFL

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Rap posted:

"Skol" is a Swedish toast, not a loving acronym about the NFL

Yea, that's already covered in the Wikipedia link. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Yes the defending Super Bowl team wants to emulate a team that lost a bunch of Super Bowls back in the 70s and hasn't been back since :confused:

• Locked thread