Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Wouldn't help me at all, really. Pity it's six months until I'm in the US and I can't wait that long, I'd just pick one up - I could get something cheaper by having it sent from the US, yes, but I wasn't sure whether they could handle our higher voltage, or if the UK market stuff has different internals and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Pretty sure I remember reading that Hakko irons cannot be made to work on a different voltage/frequency without replacing parts. I remember Aussies on the EEVblog complaining about that because they are getting gouged to gently caress like the UK is.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Yep. Aus distributors seem to charge $200-300 for the FX-888D compared to $80-$120 it seems to go for on US sites. I've been keeping an eye out for a reasonably priced soldering station that runs on 240v for a while now but I'm still using my old 35w stick.

Edit: On that topic, and this might not be the right place to ask, but when tapping an existing wire is it preferred to just cut the wire and solder it back together with the third wire leading off or should I somehow cut off some insulation without breaking the original wiring to solder on my tap? I'm adding a relay to control an aux power output that has it's own dedicated wiring to the battery and I want to energise the coil from an existing switched power line. I'm just gonna break and reconnect a wire since I can't see how I would be able to seal the joint without being able to get some heatshrink over it and it's going to be exposed to the elements.

ephphatha fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 12, 2014

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I don't have a ton of experience, but if I was taking a swing at it I'd cut the wire, then grab a marine butt connector and crimp one wire in one end and the other two in the other end. Marine butt connectors not only shrink just like heat shrink tubing, but there's solder inside; when the solder peeks out of both ends of the connector then the turkey has finished cooking and you should turn off the heat.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

There's a connector made to do that which I've always heard called a 'P' connector (it looks like a P and the circular part of the P hinges open and clamps down on the existing wire) but I'm not finding it under that name. I'm not sure if there is a weather tight version of it though.

e: http://www.mcmaster.com/#electrical-wire-splices/=r21b8l Select 'Narrow By: Wire Taps' There's also a multi-wire heat shrink butt splice on there if you don't select Narrow By.

Galler fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 12, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah, friend of mine has a Mercedes with iffy wiring (fancy that) and apparently the only way Mercedes will officially repair wiring is with those marine connectors that have solder inside.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

So something like these heat shrink connectors would be best? That mcmaster site wanted me to make an account to even look at the listings.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My favorite butt splices are these: http://www.mcmaster.com/#butt-splices/=r27jx1 aka http://www.posi-lock.com/
The twist-on ones. I can successfully crimp maybe 7 out of 10 times, but the twist on butt splices are so easy it's not even funny. The weatherproof ones are spendy, but I use them on the motorcycle.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ephphatha posted:

Edit: On that topic, and this might not be the right place to ask, but when tapping an existing wire is it preferred to just cut the wire and solder it back together with the third wire leading off or should I somehow cut off some insulation without breaking the original wiring to solder on my tap? I'm adding a relay to control an aux power output that has it's own dedicated wiring to the battery and I want to energise the coil from an existing switched power line. I'm just gonna break and reconnect a wire since I can't see how I would be able to seal the joint without being able to get some heatshrink over it and it's going to be exposed to the elements.

If you want to do it without a connector the best way is to strip some insulation - about an inch or so. If you have proper wire strippers (the kind with different gauges) just choose the appropriate gauge and "clamp" them on to cut the insulation at either side, then use a razor knife to slice the insulation between the cuts.

Once you have that exposed, separate the strands fo wire into two bundles - half and half. I typically use a small pick for this. Then take the wire you want to tap in with about 2" stripped off. Put it through the "hole" in the bundles and squeeze it closed up to just about the end of the insulation. Then wrap the remainder around the original wire where the insulation is stripped, a few turn on one side, a few on the other. Then tape it up properly (which is a whole different topic). This makes a good, solid mechanical connection.

If it's in a spot where it's not going to get moved too much you can also solder over this. But don't do that unless the splice/solder is somewhere you can physically tie up on either side so it doen't move (solder work hardens and will eventually break, which is why you don't want to use it in places where it going to see a lot of movement).

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Safety Dance posted:

I really need to get a sponge to use with my soldering iron, rather than just letting oxidization build up on it forever.

Skip the wet sponge, get one of these: http://www.techtoolsupply.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=900-242&gclid=CPT-kremjb0CFchZ7AodRGIA9g

Just a quick stab at the "Brillo pad" and the tip is shiny again. So much better.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I have a wet sponge and one of those, though I almost always use the sponge since its on the pencil holder.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
I still have a $50 gift card to Sears/Craftsman left over from x-mas. Is there anything they make that's super handy to have around that's better than the same tool from Harbor Freight?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Snap ring pliers ... They have a nice switchable set. It's about $20.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Individual sockets in weird sizes that don't typically come in the "standard" sets? 32 / 36mm axle nut sockets, that type of thing? That was the motivation behind the last couple times I've had to go to Sears at least.

e: or this if you deal with those infuriating spring type hose clamps often.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Black88GTA posted:

holy loving poo poo :aaaaa:

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Black88GTA posted:

Individual sockets in weird sizes that don't typically come in the "standard" sets? 32 / 36mm axle nut sockets, that type of thing? That was the motivation behind the last couple times I've had to go to Sears at least.

This was the first thing I did...

Black88GTA posted:

Holy loving poo poo why didn't I know about this when I was doing the cooling system on my brother's old Ranger. No use to me now as I replaced all of those lovely things with proper hose clamps.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Do you have a shop vac?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Uthor posted:

Do you have a shop vac?

I don't, but I've never seen a real use for them to be honest. I think my last one got sold before a move.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Viper_3000 posted:

This was the first thing I did...

Holy loving poo poo why didn't I know about this when I was doing the cooling system on my brother's old Ranger. No use to me now as I replaced all of those lovely things with proper hose clamps.

I'm done working on my cooling system, but man, they're worth it just for the possible future use. :aaaaa:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I might have to replace a radiator soon and that hose clamp tool looks super useful, thanks!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Soldering iron - I ordered the Weller WHS40 in the end, will see how I get on with it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

God drat tool shop sales!

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Nice, how much? I've been wanting a 7.25" slider as my ridgid 12" is a bear to move even with the stand.

In other news, apparently harbor freight has started enforcing the requirement of have a receipt for warranty exchange of their hand tools. My 1/2" swivel ratchet crapped out on me and the manager at my local store wouldn't exchange it without some arguing.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Last time they gave me bullshit about that, I solved it by buying another, going to do some other shopping I needed to do at another store and then coming back and "returning it" in an hour because it broke. By that I mean returning the one they gave me poo poo about, with the new receipt.

Tool companies: You gently caress around and try to weasel out of your warranty and I have absolutely no compunction about forcing you to uphold it through whatever weaselly means necessary.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Speaking of which there wasn't any warranty paperwork to send off for my ryobi so I phoned them up to ask, in the UK they don't require you to register kit, they honour off the receipt.

lovely thermal receipt photocopied & tucked away in the case for later.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

dyne posted:

Nice, how much? I've been wanting a 7.25" slider as my ridgid 12" is a bear to move even with the stand.

In other news, apparently harbor freight has started enforcing the requirement of have a receipt for warranty exchange of their hand tools. My 1/2" swivel ratchet crapped out on me and the manager at my local store wouldn't exchange it without some arguing.

$400 Australian. Should be more than big enough to build my deck and cut up the flooring for 90m2 of floating floor

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm in the market for a new corded drill (just for basic home reno projects). I'm considering the Milwaukee 0299-20 Magnum. Anyone have experience with this drill? Is there a better one that I should be looking at? The sturdier, the better.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I have that drill.

I have used it for anything from putting in drywall screws all the way up to full throttle assaults on 5 gallon pails worth of mortar mix with a mud-mixing paddle (way thicker and heavier than was intended) and running a 3/4" ship augur through 120 year old oak beams. I've run 1/2" diameter drill bits through 1/4" steel plate with it... and when the bit jammed, it shattered the bit into 3 pieces in the blink of an eye and nearly broke my wrists instead of stalling.

It kicks rear end, I can't break it (I've owned it since 2010), and you should buy one. Careful with it, it will happily wreck your wrists if the bit jams and you aren't ready/don't respect it.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got the older version of that drill (0234-6 5.5 amp) and it's boss as hell. Some reviews and comments I read while looking for a corded drill said that the 8 amp version you linked used more plastic and that the trigger felt lovely compared to the 5.5 amp one. I have no idea if that's the case or not as I've not run across the 8 amp version. I do like the detachable cord design of the 5.5 amp version though. Regardless the drill is plenty powerful but still very controllable.

e: I think Ken might have the one you linked and if he hasn't broken it yet then it's probably pretty solidly built. took too long.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
Just upgraded to a larger toolbox for work, second hand but in really good condition.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

kastein posted:

I have that drill.

I have used it for anything from putting in drywall screws all the way up to full throttle assaults on 5 gallon pails worth of mortar mix with a mud-mixing paddle (way thicker and heavier than was intended) and running a 3/4" ship augur through 120 year old oak beams. I've run 1/2" diameter drill bits through 1/4" steel plate with it... and when the bit jammed, it shattered the bit into 3 pieces in the blink of an eye and nearly broke my wrists instead of stalling.

It kicks rear end, I can't break it (I've owned it since 2010), and you should buy one. Careful with it, it will happily wreck your wrists if the bit jams and you aren't ready/don't respect it.
Well that's a glowing endorsement if I ever saw one! Thanks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

warcake posted:

Just upgraded to a larger toolbox for work, second hand but in really good condition.

Why do i get the feeling this cost more than my car.

JQADDINGMACHINE
Jan 5, 2014

recommendations on a good brake line flaring tool set?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mixing batter for dinner last night and I couldn't be arsed to faff about with the mixer.

Ryobi to the rescue, stuck the beater in the cordless drill, my 4yr old son thought this was awesome & wanted a go.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

What is everyone's favorite bench grinder?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Power drill with wire wheel chucked in it, clamped in a vise.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

CountOfNowhere posted:

Baldor 8". They're expensive as hell new, but they last forever so no problem buying used.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

CountOfNowhere posted:

Cheap option: Ryobi
Better: Dewalt
Good: Jet
Best: Metabo
10x better then all of these put together: Oldschool Baldor.

*I have a Ryobi, Jet, Metabo, and a oldschool Baldor in the shop.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

No complaints on my DeWalt 756 6" grinder. I don't use it a ton but it has a very smooth/quiet motor and enough power for me. Paid $69 for it on amazon 8 yrs ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

Powershift posted:

Why do i get the feeling this cost more than my car.

It is worth more than my car, but that should be the last tool box I buy. Now I've moved everything to that box it looks like I have no tools.

Can't beat a snap on tool box.