Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

What a Judas posted:

What? Not even close.

Then give an alternative...?

Wanderer is insanely good in multiplayer and 1v1 alike. He won't win you friends, but he won't lose you friends like dick decks (augustin) do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Mortimer posted:

Then give an alternative...?

Wanderer is insanely good in multiplayer and 1v1 alike. He won't win you friends, but he won't lose you friends like dick decks (augustin) do.

He said prize support. Screw friends.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The thing about multiplayer is you don't want to go in looking like the biggest dick at the table, otherwise you're likely to get dogpiled out of it.

You want something powerful that doesn't look particularly menacing at first.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Longshot007 posted:

Is there a website where I can find a comprehensive guide on exactly what all the special rules do and how they work? The little poster thing that comes with the start sets is astoundingly bad at teaching you anything.

The Basic Rulebook, which you can find here, is pretty good. It also has a glossary.

Applebees fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 15, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Just saw a guy pull off the no land, turn 3 ad nauseam kill in modern. Suspended Lotus Blooms are just sick.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Korak posted:

Just saw a guy pull off the no land, turn 3 ad nauseam kill in modern. Suspended Lotus Blooms are just sick.

Remand.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Was thankfully up against non-island deck.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Jabor posted:

The thing about multiplayer is you don't want to go in looking like the biggest dick at the table, otherwise you're likely to get dogpiled out of it.

You want something powerful that doesn't look particularly menacing at first.

I'm going to be playing weekly tourneys, people will know that my deck is good. I want to be the dude running Edric pre-ban in 1v1 but in multiplayer.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mortimer posted:

What's your budget? Maelstrom Wanderer is supposedly number one?

A dude at my LGS runs Maelstrom Wanderer and it is insanely good. By the end of every game he seems to have half of his deck in play or in hand, and he ALWAYS has an answer to everything. I'm sure the deck costs more than my car though so maybe you should start somewhere else. Teeg might not be a bad option if you can make it go faster, but he's probably better in 1v1.

The point about incremental strength vs putting on a show, on top of being true, makes me inclined to say Nekusar but one of the employees at my LGS runs Nekusar and people tend to gang up on him, probably because they know what's coming. I don't know if you can make a more subtle, control-y list with him but it's worth a shot. Or join the cool kids Captain Sisay club with me, that's a deck that tends to sneak up on people :getin:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Isn't Sharuum always a fine default choice for a powerful, resilient, and degenerate EDH deck?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I did this once at a GPT that was directly after a friend's wedding. All day my opponents were like :stare:, especially since these events attract the douchebag self-proclaimed "grinders" from all over the area (any time that word comes out of someone's mouth two things are true: they're a condescending dick, and they're actually terrible at this game). Made top 8, too.

I'm tempted to try organizing a "formal dress only" draft or something at my LGS for a lark. The few people I can think of off the top of my head who would be probably be down for it are all the most pleasant to play with people out of our group.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Entropic posted:

I'm tempted to try organizing a "formal dress only" draft or something at my LGS for a lark. The few people I can think of off the top of my head who would be probably be down for it are all the most pleasant to play with people out of our group.

You really don't have any guys who dress in suits and wear fedoras at your LGS? That's what I would see in spades here.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Isn't Sharuum always a fine default choice for a powerful, resilient, and degenerate EDH deck?
Yes to all three, but it also falls under "will not win you friends". Not as degenerate as Wanderer or as hated as Augustin, but from what I see it's the deck of choice for people who want to win without dropping two grand+

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I'm not trying to win friends, I'm trying to win a competitive game of magic with an entry fee and prizes. I've been considering some kind of base blue mono-brown w/ combos deck or something. Maybe U/W just because I own some pretty sweet white cards -- mostly moat, which could be good in EDH I've honestly never seen it played.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

The March Hare posted:

I'm not trying to win friends, I'm trying to win a competitive game of magic with an entry fee and prizes. I've been considering some kind of base blue mono-brown w/ combos deck or something. Maybe U/W just because I own some pretty sweet white cards -- mostly moat, which could be good in EDH I've honestly never seen it played.

Niv Mizzet (not Dracogenius) is pretty degenerate, but might get you hated out quickly.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent
On the Judge thing, how does the L1 exam work? I did pretty well on the Rules Advisor exam, but I had to consult the rules. Is that allowed or do I have to take the test without working aids?

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

standard.deviant posted:

On the Judge thing, how does the L1 exam work? I did pretty well on the Rules Advisor exam, but I had to consult the rules. Is that allowed or do I have to take the test without working aids?

During the exam you get a set of basic lands and some cards you can write on. That's it.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

The March Hare posted:

Beyond Sharuum you could also try looking at some Azami, Lady of Scrolls lists for broke-as-heck mono blue shenanigans.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Played Standard for the first time in ages tonight as Grand Prix Chicago Byes season has officially started. Here's what I learned:

- 60 card decks feel weeeeeeeeeeeeeeird, man, it's like too many cards... :v:
- Know what the ultimate price is for a Planeswalker. Don't be like me and NOT kill Kiora because you thought it was -6 and get Krakened to death.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Did some looking around and I now understand why the bird guy was banned in 1v1. Think I'm going to build something like this: http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/multiplayer-commander-decklists/527666-derevi-empyrial-warlord because it is my kind of magic and I've got a bunch of the stuff on the list already :)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Shavnir posted:

During the exam you get a set of basic lands and some cards you can write on. That's it.

Is this to check "does the potential judge write on the players' cards" because that's a newbie mistake I always see judges make.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Devor posted:

Is this to check "does the potential judge write on the players' cards" because that's a newbie mistake I always see judges make.

Huh? Who in the world writes on cards?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Is the Chandra a misprint too or is it "just" a foil russian Chandra?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

JerryLee posted:

Is the Chandra a misprint too or is it "just" a foil russian Chandra?

Just a regular Russian foil Chandra. I know, disappointing. :(

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I could usually care less about miscut/misprinted cards, but that Wheel of Fortune is a thing of beauty.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Been watching more Theros Block Constructed it seems like Prognostic Sphinx is really drat good and cheap (.05 online -- .45 paper). While it's not a guarantee that a Sphinx deck will dominate come rotation, it seems like a very low bar for people that like to speculate. It feels as though it could be a curve topper for an aggressive blue deck or wincon for a control deck, perhaps even being an unique force in Bant/BUG/RUG type of decks that people always seem to try to make. Only issue it would have is if the next meta turns out to be sweeper heavy. If they continue the trend in Theros the sweepers won't be Supreme Verdict level goodness. They'll be Anger of the Gods or Drown in Sorrow on the low end, Fated Retribution or Planar Cleansing costed.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Devor posted:

Some people have to visualize questions with cards. Personally I flicked them around in my hand while thinking about the questions, because I do that.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Just managed to go infinite (in Commander) in a pretty convoluted way:

Soon as Big P hit the board two guys conceded and the third flailed until he realized it was all over. I think it's my first time going infinite in Commander since the deck's not really built around it!

Balon fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 15, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

We were talking earlier about shocks and their prices... yeah...

I got those 30 non foils, the Kiki-Jiki, and the Cryptic for a playset of Snapcaster Mage and I got the three foils for 20 dollars.

The way these sell in my neck of the woods there is just no way the price doesn't drop. Everyone has 4 and then some. I just don't see whats going to hold up demand.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Stinky Pit posted:

I got those 30 non foils, the Kiki-Jiki, and the Cryptic for a playset of Snapcaster Mage and I got the three foils for 20 dollars.

The way these sell in my neck of the woods there is just no way the price doesn't drop. Everyone has 4 and then some. I just don't see whats going to hold up demand.

$20 for all three of them?

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000
any bot recommendations with goatbot still down for the count?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stinky Pit posted:

What is it like in bizzaro land?

The March Hare posted:

I'm not trying to win friends, I'm trying to win a competitive game of magic with an entry fee and prizes.

Here's the thing: In a multiplayer game of EDH politics is key. You don't want to be the person slapping down a commander like Augustin, you'll get ganged up on by 3 people and quickly eliminated. You want a commander that is good but doesn't send a "kill on sight" signal to every other player.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Having a multiplayer EDH tournament with prizes seems weird to me because of how heavily it relies on politics. Hell, having a multiplayer any format tournament seems weird to me.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Mortimer posted:

Here's the thing: In a multiplayer game of EDH politics is key. You don't want to be the person slapping down a commander like Augustin, you'll get ganged up on by 3 people and quickly eliminated. You want a commander that is good but doesn't send a "kill on sight" signal to every other player.

I always found Nath of the Gilt-Leaf to be a really good lay-low commander. Nothing he does is dramatic, but you're always gaining value, and then you can crush everyone with Sadistic Hypnotist if it comes up. Talrand's pretty good at that, too, though some people get so tinfoil hatted about monoblue that they let the obvious combo commanders live to kill the blue guy. Depends how savvy this thing is gonna be I guess.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Nthing that you need to remember that multiplayer=politics, even in a tournament setting. Coming in with a sick degenerate deck is great the first time, but if you plan on being a regular you're going to get ganged up on if you show up with the same degenerate deck week after week. If it's a one off thing go nuts.

Also, multiplayer introduces you to people's weird quirks about playing magical cards. A few weeks back I played in my first Sheldon points style EDH event (it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but since I wasn't familiar with how the points he assigned I ended up last in my first pod even though I was the second to last left) and an opponent spent the whole game dumping all his resources into killing me while I was stuck on lands while ignoring the other two guys who we're building up decent board states. His rationale was "that's a lot of foils you have there."

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Mortimer posted:

I just played a few games against a friends grand arbiter deck with my wort, boggart auntie goblin tribal deck. We went 2-2, I won G1 after jamming a T4 purphoros (1 of 3 non-goblin creatures in the deck) which is just a bonkers bananas card. Then in game 4 I made it through propaganda and sphere of safety (and one other card) paying 9 to attack each turn. But I did get the great Kiki-jiki + goblin bombardment + lightning crafter infinite combo.

What I'm saying is wort is a great deck, but you have to be careful or people will gang up on you.

Also goblin sharpshooter + basilisk collar + kormus bell + urborg, tomb of yawgmoth will earn you nothing but hatred, so you can only pull it off once.p

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Trip report from down under! I played midrange Selesnya goodstuff to great success. I came fifth out of ~40 people in my third FNM (not counting the ones I did six years ago).

Game 1: 2-0 against the mother of some of the other players. Nearly died to a Madcap Skills + Enlarged Regathan Firecat but I squeezed out on 1 life and beat her to death the next turn. Nice person, bad deck, decent player, I had more money.

Game 2: 2-1 against White Weenie. Wrecked them game 1, got wrecked game 2 (Glare of Heresy too strong), squeezed out a win game 3. Selesnya Charm is a great anti-Voltron card.

Game 3: 1-2 against U/W/B control running no win conditions except 'steal your win condition with Jace ult'. rear end in a top hat dragged out the first game by stealing my Ajani and endlessly cycling Sphinx's Rev "so I can kill you in fifty turns with a million cats!" :downs: Game 2 he got land screwed (with 27 land, bad luck to him). I lost game 3 after he got a Ratchet Bomb down and my 2-land 3-Mystic board backfired (he had Verdict, anyway).

Game 4: 2-1 against Boros aggro. Swamped him game 1, lost game 2 to Elspeth + Assemble the Legion, third game I Bramblecrushed his Assemble and Wurmed him to death.

Game 5: 2-0 against a more traditional Selesnya deck. I don't remember the whole thing but I got all four of my Selesnya Charms in the second game and managed to take out both his Armada Wurm and the token it produced, then swung for lethal. :allears:

Came away with a Temple of Plenty (have a playset already :saddowns:) and a Courser of Cruphix (my FNM does 1 sealed pack + 1 open pack for prizes, pick your packs in order of place). The top prize was a foil Courser (!!) + Ephara, followed by Brimaz.

All I can say is gently caress U/W control and gently caress Sphinx's Rev. Stabilizing on 1 life my rear end.

moot4king
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug
My LGS is replacing FNM Standard with Modern because it is way more popular and I am not sure how to go from Standard to Modern. Fetchlands, goyfs and that stuff I know about, but the sheer amount cards available makes it hard for me to build something. I know that my standard deck is legal in modern but it feels like I am going to have my rear end handed to me if I do that. Any help would be appreciated.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

ungulateman posted:

Nearly died to a Madcap Skills + Enlarged Regathan Firecat but I squeezed out on 1 life and beat her to death the next turn.
All I can say is gently caress U/W control and gently caress Sphinx's Rev. Stabilizing on 1 life my rear end.

Does it not count as stabilising if you kill them next turn for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenephant
Dec 31, 2009

Let's play a game: try to guess the highest and lowest community rated cards on Gatherer:

1) Best Artifact. Hint- Not power 9

Answer:

2) Worst Artifact. Hint- CMC 3
Answer:

3)Best Basic Land: Hint- There are more than 5 Basics
Answer:

4) Best Creature. Hint- Legacy Playable
Answer:

5) Worst Creature. Hint- Not Wood Elemental
Answer:

6) Best Enchantment. Hint- Green
answer:

7) Worst Enchantment. Hint- Blue
Answer:

8) Best Instant. Hint- Obvious candidate
Answer-

9) Worst instant. hint- red
Answer-

10) Best Land: Hint- It's not a dual
Answer-

11) Worst Land Hint: not Sorrow's Path
Answer:

12) Best Legendary. Hint: Not a creature
Answer-

13)Best Sorcery. Hint: Not power 9
Answer-

14)Worst Sorcery Hint: Red burn spell
Answer-

In conclusion- Surprisingly accurate,wouldn't agree with that last one though.

• Locked thread