Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Your honor the theater was too dark to determine my victims skin color and at the time I believed the wife was wearing one of those Nicki Minaj wigs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Business Gorillas posted:

I don't know anything about the guy but since I haven't seen his picture plastered everywhere I'm assuming he's white, so stand your ground probably isn't going to work anyways.

edit: Yup, its a white dude with a blonde wife and a blonde little girl.

When are these folks going to learn that you can't run around shooting white people willy-nilly?

Seriously, people: Confine your reactionary gun play to brown targets, or you run a tiny risk of actually being held responsible for your actions. Nobody wants that, right?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Counter-point: The shooter was an ex-cop and therefore America 9/11 Not Guilty.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Centripetal Horse posted:

When are these folks going to learn that you can't run around shooting white people willy-nilly?

Perhaps when one of them finally gets punished for doing so.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Some stuff from O'Reilly last night:

quote:

O'REILLY: Yes that's complete bull -- blindsided him. Simmons knew we were going to talk about the music industry. What did he think I'm going to give him six minutes on his dopey book? I mean come on we don't do that for anybody. Simmons is just too frightened to answer the questions as simple as that. He blindsided me. What do you live on Mars? I mean you know what this show is.

Except for you know...yourself or like every big pop culture guest you've ever had on the program. But please, go on Mr. O'Reilly.

quote:

O'REILLY: And that's why we have the problem because for the past 50 years who has protected kids in the United States? Who?

INGRAHAM: Right well, usually families and the entertainment industry will just throw up their hands and say well parents you have to do a better job. But I really believe they do make moral judgments Bill. They are their moral judgments. And if anyone else has a question or say gee this is not -- showing Beyonce essentially looking like a stripper throughout a lot of her video is probably not the best message to send to young girls.

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/oreilly/2014/03/14/beyonce-hip-hop-and-protecting-kids

50 years? So, 1964. The first year "The Beatles" became popular in the states, also "The Beach Boys"

Yeah, Yeah those pesky songs about Love and Tolerance were really a terrible influence on our society. Yeah all being influenced by that drat "Negro" Rock that came from down south! Elvis shaking his hips nearly caused our democracy to crumble, don't you know?!

I for one, wish that music/culture had never advanced past the "Lawrence Welk Show"!

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 14, 2014

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Counter-point: The shooter was an ex-cop and therefore America 9/11 Not Guilty.
Checkmate, liberal :smug:

edit: I don't even think a real cop could get away with shooting this guy, I mean look at him:

If he was at least lower middle class you can probably just not bother having a trial.

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 14, 2014

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

edit: I don't even think a real cop could get away with shooting this guy, I mean look at him:

If he was at least lower middle class you can probably just not bother having a trial.

Some Freeper is going to Photoshop a hoodie on this guy, turn the wife into a bottle of iced tea and the baby into a bag of skittles.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
A new challenger to The Daily Show has arrived, fair and balanced!

http://www.telcoproductions.com/Flipside.shtml

I haven't had enough to drink yet to bring myself to watch this horror show, but here is a good article about why it, and conservative comedy in general, is bad.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/03/the-plight-of-conservative-comedy-wheres-the-rights-em-daily-show-em/283937/

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

sleepingbuddha posted:

...and conservative comedy in general, is bad.

What about South Park? I would not hesitate to call it a conservative comedy show. It is raunchy yes, but its opinions and values all seem fairly center right.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

White people get openly murdered by cops too, just in far less numbers due to demographics and racism.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Madmarker posted:

What about South Park? I would not hesitate to call it a conservative comedy show. It is raunchy yes, but its opinions and values all seem fairly center right.

It also doesn't make scoring political points the centerpiece of its comedy (well ALL the time anyways).

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Madmarker posted:

Maybe in terms of other countries. By US standards it's pretty left of center other than making fun of smug liberals a lot.

Like its global warming episode was way more making fun of Al Gore and didn't really have any actual commentary on global warming.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Maybe in terms of other countries. By US standards it's pretty left of center other than making fun of smug liberals a lot.

Like its global warming episode was way more making fun of Al Gore and didn't really have any actual commentary on global warming.

Yeah I've never really gotten the vibe of South Park being particularly conservative in its message. Sure, Matt and Trey will attempt to shove in as much libertarian poo poo as possible but it's primarily an equal opportunist show as far as comedy goes and the political message of the episodes, if there ever is one, is usually "the truth is somewhere in the middle".

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Matt and Trey are starting to become two of the few super successful creators that I believe when they say they aren't conservative or liberal.

For one I doubt they've had the time between the retardo days of Cannibal and Spirit of Christmas to channel-saving TV show to starring, writing and directing HW movies, to creating the modern day broadway megahit, to working on an actually decent videogame about their show. Not to mention making brilliant music for all of those projects. Seriously, gently caress those guys. If talent was money they'd be the Koch bro's.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Yeah I've never really gotten the vibe of South Park being particularly conservative in its message. Sure, Matt and Trey will attempt to shove in as much libertarian poo poo as possible but it's primarily an equal opportunist show as far as comedy goes and the political message of the episodes, if there ever is one, is usually "the truth is somewhere in the middle".

Eh, I guess its the libertarian poo poo that makes me think of the show as primarily "conservative," I'll cede that to you guys, its probably a centrist show.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Is that the one where climate change is presented as a mythical beast completely fabricated out of whole cloth by Al Gore and absolutely does not exist?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Is that the one where climate change is presented as a mythical beast completely fabricated out of whole cloth by Al Gore and absolutely does not exist?

Yeah but it's way more about making fun of Al Gore's insistence and perceived desire for attention than being a serious commentary on the validity of climate change.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
South Park's politics are pretty much "The truth is somewhere in the middle" made flesh. The guys seem like just world libertarian shitlords, but the show itself is relentlessly centrist and an equal-opportunity offender.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
The only reason they seem middle of the road is they're utterly spineless. I haven't watched it in years but I remember the Terri Schiavo episode being the worst sort "everybody's equally to blame" garbage. They're full on right wing scum.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

bpower posted:

The only reason they seem middle of the road is they're utterly spineless. I haven't watched it in years but I remember the Terri Schiavo episode being the worst sort "everybody's equally to blame" garbage. They're full on right wing scum.

That wasn't the message of that episode, the hubbub on both sides of the debate was ramped up to maximum effect because in the end the message is No matter what their wishes were about dying, it's reasonable to assume that Kenny/Terry definitely did not wish to have their dumb vegetable face blasted across the nation for weeks on end while bumfucks from every walk of life all the way up to the U.S. Senate poked their heads into the matter, and the fact that neither side even considered that shows what assholes they are. They skewered dumb opinions that either side of the argument had but that's a rather human and nuanced take on the whole thing that made me rethink the situation.

It's basically the Judgement of Solomon story except when he offered to split the baby in half both parties said "yeah that sounds reasonable".

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 14, 2014

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

FMguru posted:

South Park's politics are pretty much "The truth is somewhere in the middle" made flesh. The guys seem like just world libertarian shitlords, but the show itself is relentlessly centrist and an equal-opportunity offender.

Is this actually true now? I haven't watched it in several years, but during the 2000's they went after the left all the time but hardly if ever went after the right, and they didn't touch George Bush at all.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FMguru posted:

They don't seem like just world libertarian shitlords, they are just world libertarian shitlords.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

beatlegs posted:

Is this actually true now? I haven't watched it in several years, but during the 2000's they went after the left all the time but hardly if ever went after the right, and they didn't touch George Bush at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That%27s_My_Bush!

Except most of the joke there was that they weren't actually making many political jokes. I guess the actual answer is Team America. If you can't find an anti-Bush message in Team America World Police just because they never actually said his name then I don't know what the gently caress. If anything I think they're contrarians at heart. If you like it, they want to poo poo on it.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 14, 2014

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That wasn't the message of that episode, the hubbub on both sides of the debate was ramped up to maximum effect because in the end the message is No matter what their wishes were about dying, it's reasonable to assume that Kenny/Terry definitely did not wish to have their dumb vegetable face blasted across the nation for weeks on end while bumfucks from every walk of life all the way up to the U.S. Senate poked their heads into the matter, and the fact that neither side even considered that shows what assholes they are. They skewered dumb opinions that either side of the argument had but that's a rather human and nuanced take on the whole thing that made me rethink the situation.

It's basically the Judgement of Solomon story except when he offered to split the baby in half both parties said "yeah that sounds reasonable".

Yeah, they took an important issue and turned it into "ew she looks gross".

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
If that's really what you got out of it then you have comprehension issues. The climax of the entire episode is a letter from Kenny that seems like it's about to answer the question of what his intentions were if he was turned into a medical vegetable but the letter actually says "whatever you do don't let them put me on TV looking retarded".

It's an important issue that should be dealt with in private, they mostly avoid engaging in earnest at all with the actual question of live or die and in the end what they pointed out was that arguing over someones wishes about life support is stupid when you're very obviously violating other wishes you could all agree Kenny/Terri probably held. Like not being beamed into every house in America while she's in a brain dead state.

Think about it this way: If Terri Schiavo really did magically recover into full health, how do you think she would feel about how her husband and family treated her during the whole ordeal? They took a private family issue and instead of settling it in private they went to dueling news networks and political parties so they could get what they wanted. No matter which side ended up being "right" they were still a firsthand reason why it turned into a national fiasco.

I can't speak for her but I would've been loving pissed too. That's the point.

Again, Judgement of Solomon: two ladies say "that's my baby" (aka I know what Terri wanted), no good evidence either way, judge says "I'm gonna split this baby in half and give you each one" (AKA "if you can't agree and no one concedes, and you decide to go to the news channels with this, it's going to turn into a national shitshow). At this point someone who actually gives a poo poo about the baby would say "Whoa poo poo, don't do that, just give it to that other lady" (AKA "I care enough about this person to have my wishes, or whatever I thought their wishes were, violated to avoid making them into a media circus and political football for millions of people").

Sorry I had a lot of emotions tied up in the Schiavo thing that all kind of shifted when that SP episode got me thinking deeper.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 14, 2014

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

bpower posted:

The only thing about them that is right wing scum is that they are willing to make a buck off anything.

Other than that, everything else about their show is offensive to anything considered conservative by American standards.

They openly mock religion. Only Mormons go to heaven, God is a Buddhist, and Satan is a sympathetic character. Rural Americans are bigots and idiots, and fall prey to pretty much any fad or con. The kids swear like truck driving sailors and get involved in all sorts of wildly inappropriate situations/discussions. They had a 'Christmas Show' with blood orgies and abortion jokes, which turned out to be a story being read in an elementary school classroom.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

bpower posted:

Or the Iraq War episode, or the voting doesn't matter episode. And they can really go gently caress themselves for the anti-writers strike episode. Really gently caress them and their Shitlord Libertarian faces forever that episode was so goddamn disingenuous over a serious issue so they could act like no money is made on the internet.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

KomradeX posted:

Or the Iraq War episode, or the voting doesn't matter episode. And they can really go gently caress themselves for the anti-writers strike episode. Really gently caress them and their Shitlord Libertarian faces forever that episode was so goddamn disingenuous over a serious issue so they could act like no money is made on the internet.

Almost as if the middle road between a libertarian shithead's strawman of a democrat and a republican is actually a conservative position.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

South Park is best when they don't get too preachy about politics/current events/fads

Lil' Crime Stoppers for example was a great episode just pretty much doing general satire on cop shows. It was "Naked Gun"-level hilarious.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sleepingbuddha posted:

That was horrible. I didn't even make it thru the promo video. I wasn't offended by it, it was just boring, not funny, not controversial and certainly not informative. And the guy hosting it, Michael Loftus, is just some obscure conservative to me. Before the Daily Show ever existed, I knew who Joh Stewart was; then, we all got to know Colbert before he got his own show. I knew who Bill Engvall and Jeff Foxworthy were before they ever had shows. Conservative producers just seem to pull some obscure nobody out of the conservative universe and expect them to be able to have the same draw as the Daily Show. The promo clip really lost me when they panned the audience and it was all old white people. I would never pay to see that poo poo in real life.

edit: I suppose everyone has heard by now that Palin is getting her very own online channel, Rouge TV.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 15, 2014

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

radical meme posted:

That was horrible. I didn't even make it thru the promo video. I wasn't offended by it, it was just boring, not funny, not controversial and certainly not informative. And the guy hosting it, Michael Loftus, is just some obscure conservative to me. Before the Daily Show ever existed, I knew who Joh Stewart was; then, we all got to know Colbert before he got his own show. I knew who Bill Engvall and Jeff Foxworthy were before they ever had shows. Conservative producers just seem to pull some obscure nobody out of the conservative universe and expect them to be able to have the same draw as the Daily Show. The promo clip really lost me when they panned the audience and it was all old white people. I would never pay to see that poo poo in real life.

edit: I suppose everyone has heard by now that Palin is getting her very own online channel, Rouge TV.

This man is very unhappy with you right now.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

A Winner is Jew posted:

This man is very unhappy with you right now.

Oh poo poo, I'm sorry Craig.

By the way, here's some comedy of that guy Michael Loftus where he calls a woman a oval office and his 1 year old yelling gently caress is hilarious.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Strawman posted:

Almost as if the middle road between a libertarian shithead's strawman of a democrat and a republican is actually a conservative position.

This, pretty much. Reminds me of that old saying the halfway point between the truth and a lie is still a lie. I've enjoyed South Park in the Past though I haven't watched in about 3 years nothing really drove me away I just stopped watching it. I was thinking about picking up the game during like a Steam Sale during the summer or maybe christmas. I just remember how bad the thread for that got in Games with people telling some of the few that were hoping they would stay away from politics in the game to get out.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Strawman posted:

In the US the Democrat position is a conservative position.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Yeah but it's way more about making fun of Al Gore's insistence and perceived desire for attention than being a serious commentary on the validity of climate change.

Climate change isn't real and Al Gore just wants attention is the message I got from that episode.

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx

sleepingbuddha posted:

I haven't had enough to drink yet to bring myself to watch this horror show, but here is a good article about why it, and conservative comedy in general, is bad.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/03/the-plight-of-conservative-comedy-wheres-the-rights-em-daily-show-em/283937/
I wonder if these guys will ever figure out Jon Stewart is funny because he's making fun of the actual poo poo they say and do and not just hauling out a bunch of tired old stereotypes to make fun of. "LOL hipsters living in a tent next to Starbucks! How relevant!"

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

In the US the Democrat position is a conservative position.

:thejoke:

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/That%27s_My_Bush!

Except most of the joke there was that they weren't actually making many political jokes. I guess the actual answer is Team America. If you can't find an anti-Bush message in Team America World Police just because they never actually said his name then I don't know what the gently caress. If anything I think they're contrarians at heart. If you like it, they want to poo poo on it.

"That's My Bush" was made pre-9/11, I believe. After that they were totally hands off.

They did take on jingoism in general in "Team America", but if they could go after Michael Moore, Alec Baldwin and Sean Penn by name then they sure as hell could've gone after Bush but they didn't.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

beatlegs posted:

"That's My Bush" was made pre-9/11, I believe. After that they were totally hands off.

They did take on jingoism in general in "Team America", but if they could go after Michael Moore, Alec Baldwin and Sean Penn by name then they sure as hell could've gone after Bush but they didn't.

Yeah prety much this. Bullshit that they created some vague "gung ho" patriot team but still went ahead with the "pussies dicks and assholes" speech that's basically "a good guy with a gun" applied to foreign policy. They're lightweights who understand pop culture, transgressive humor and can write catchy music. Their understanding of politics and application of satire related to it are shallow and often spineless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

bpower posted:

What? You're substituting your own viewpoint on them, projecting or something, because the clear message of that episode was "shame on the people making this private event a public and political spectacle. "