Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

ErichZahn posted:

A thought occurred to me. Where the gently caress are the Quiescent in all this?

Keeping their head down, like always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Right, but... Paradox should deserve equal billing with Cover. So the continued existence of the Quiescent would yeah you got me.

On a related note, the Arch Symbol denoting a Sotto Voce Cabal would be a circular depression at the center of the arch. It's an unmarked mark.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 13, 2014

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20

Ferrinus posted:

A greengrocer is not a warrior in their daily life according to Arrow philosophy. The Arrows don't afford respect to everything that could figuratively be described as a conflict. There are conflicts, notably the Duel Arcane, that Arrows regard to be childish diversions. You're not suddenly an Arrow because you bake, program, or yodel with your brow furrowed and biceps flexed. "Warrior monk" isn't an affectation you blithely apply to whatever you're doing.

In general, there is a tension between the Arrow ideal and e.g. being a typist. In fact, there is a tension between being an Arrow and being a soldier! Arrows don't aspire to be soldiers, they aspire to be mythic heroes. If you get really deep into that stuff you're not going to put up with another tour in Afghanistan or some poo poo, you've got better things to do than bleed for Mammon.

"Wars" of propaganda and enculturation are a Ladder thing. I suppose next we'll be hearing about how the Mysterium is actually full of Arrows fighting a War On Pancryptia.

Despite ideological safeguards, Arrows suffer from mission creep as much as other militant groups. SERIOUS EXAMPLE: Military operations for real hegemonic powers involve hearts and minds and infrastructure repair and boring IT stuff to keep it all together. SILLY EXAMPLE: "Real life superheroes" who realize that they can't "fight crime" apply their crime-fightyism to handing out food and blankets. Then you have Phoenix Jones, who kicked a drunk and pepper-sprayed some protesters because what else are you going to do when nobody plays the Joker?

Similarly, Ladder lictors may be nebbish lawyers, but a few of them are probably Magic Judge Dredd. Mystagogue censors . . . well, Khonsu knows how to *take* a beating. One of the things about being a mage is that you're smart enough to mas up roles and contexts, and it's ultimate the hierarchy and the symbolic gravity of your affiliations that restrict who you are. In the Arrow, they try to make sure that if you can't be Batman, you'll at least audit Batman Studies even if you're all about game theory.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

MalcolmSheppard posted:

Despite ideological safeguards, Arrows suffer from mission creep as much as other militant groups. SERIOUS EXAMPLE: Military operations for real hegemonic powers involve hearts and minds and infrastructure repair and boring IT stuff to keep it all together. SILLY EXAMPLE: "Real life superheroes" who realize that they can't "fight crime" apply their crime-fightyism to handing out food and blankets. Then you have Phoenix Jones, who kicked a drunk and pepper-sprayed some protesters because what else are you going to do when nobody plays the Joker?

Similarly, Ladder lictors may be nebbish lawyers, but a few of them are probably Magic Judge Dredd. Mystagogue censors . . . well, Khonsu knows how to *take* a beating. One of the things about being a mage is that you're smart enough to mas up roles and contexts, and it's ultimate the hierarchy and the symbolic gravity of your affiliations that restrict who you are. In the Arrow, they try to make sure that if you can't be Batman, you'll at least audit Batman Studies even if you're all about game theory.

I mean, the vagaries of this corrupt and fallen world are always going to necessitate that some Arrows learn how to work a spreadsheet or fast-talk a client. I'm just saying that that sort of stuff wouldn't really be an Arrow's thing, like it wouldn't be what they joined the Order to do or what wins them rank and respect (as opposed to gratefulness, owed favors, etc) among other Arrows.

The Praetorian Ministry definitely has dedicated propagandists, video game developers, etc because they're (sort of) actual army, but the Arrow is more like a dojo or a bizarre and ahistorical "fighter's guild". Of course, mages themselves are so rare that I assume that someone who was really gung ho about game theory tried and to join the Arrow would be welcomed in and slowly molded rather than sent away.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I've typed multiple posts explaining why Ferrinus is wrong, but none which explain how.

The Adamantine Arrow teaches game theory to it's recruits. This is a fact.

The Praetorian Ministry does not code video-games. They have a Fallen World, other Seers, captive armies, and Profane Urims for that.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Mages are valuable and there are generally fewer Seers than there are Pentacle mages and, what's worse, there are actually ten different Ministries compared to five Pentacle Orders, which means that your actual odds of finding an Awakened Praetorian who devotes their workday to video game design are slim to none.

However, the Praetorian Ministry is an organization which is not about becoming the strongest, coolest possible fighter, but rather an organization about making sure everyone keeps pointlessly fighting in non-cool ways that leave them ultimately weaker. They want abstract social capital transformed into battlecruisers and missile launchers rather than schools and hospitals. So if you want to look at an ostensibly martial Order and find that its ranks actually contain propagandists, logisticians, politicians, attorneys, etc, you want to look at the Praetorian Ministry. Of course, the cozier they are with Hegemonic, the less they'll have to bother, but there's a reason that you generally don't refer to all the Ministries together as a single geometric shape.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 15, 2014

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Yeah the Arrow is indisputably all about becoming a Tough Fighter, and not in some elementary metaphorical way either.

The Arrow does not, emphatically, try to alter Sleeper culture in general. That's a job for Cryptopolies and Labyrinths. That's not to say the Arrow doesn't act as an "advisor" to Sleeper forces they've somehow compromised, but that's a very different job from a Ladder propagandist identifying and exploiting ideological gaps in Fallen civilization.

The Arrow material is very clear about their "every Marine a rifleman" kind of attitude. Mission creep is a possibility, but it will always be with an eye towards militarizing things, in a practical way. If it doesn't help the Pentacle win battles against Seers, or anyone else, the Arrow isn't going to be very interested in it until it's properly weaponized.

An Arrow with a day job as a defense attorney makes perfect sense, but not because "the real fight is in the courtroom", it's because there's plenty of dangerous and desperate people (and their weapons, money, drugs, etc) caught up in the criminal justice system who might make good Tough Fighters (and the weapons, money, drugs, material etc doesn't hurt either!). Any concern for the Fallen justice of the matter is likely a distant second priority, because There's A War On. A real one, where victory is possible and then maybe Existence wouldn't be Struggle anymore.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
So, I brought up the issues to the before-mentioned GM. His response was something along the lines of "You have to compromise more than other members of the group" gently caress that poo poo. Then a shpiel about how I don't fit in the group.

:negative:

I just want to play some WoD goddamnit. No chantry I can deal with. Actually years of research times on rituals, sure. But goddamnit if he didnt spay and neuter my 5dot mentor merit. I wasn't even allowed to know anything about tremere history.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 16, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Abort! Abort!

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Yep, guy is a dick. That's pretty much the worst way to introduce a new player to the group. Neutering a guys character rather than working him into the narrative is the mark of a terrible gm.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
It's also pretty much a guarantee that requiring months/years of research per ritual would have been his way of saying "no, no new rituals ever" because that is the only way I have ever seen them used. It's always "this ritual takes six months to learn because Reasons. Every session is going to be one night at the most, so after 180 sessions you can buy it. Yes, I realize that's almost four years of regular weekly sessions."

Any game that enforces training times is a game you should stay far away from.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I did point that out to him several times, but he never directly admitted it. Kept avoiding the issue.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

DJ Dizzy posted:

Yeah, I did point that out to him several times, but he never directly admitted it. Kept avoiding the issue.

Why not ask him if he'd prefer you to play a vampire of a clan that he enjoys and appreciates as part of his game? I mean if he's simply not willing to compromise on letting blood-magic and their clan be a part of the player's game, but you still want to play a oWoD vampire...

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

I dont really play primarily for his enjoyment, but rather for mine. If he had said from the getgo that playing a tremere wouldnt be the greatest of ideas, sure, I could have played another clan.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Yeah that's really something that's gotta be stated before anyone makes a character. If you don't like blood magic, just say you don't like blood magic and the tremere just aren't in this city. For some reason this is really hard for people to do regardless of game and it always ends poorly because it is a guarantee someone will want to play a tremere if you hate blood magic, a paladin in D&D if you hate alignment requirements, a scorpion in L5R if you hate scheming PCs, etc.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
For example, normally I'll state which Clans aren't allowed (Normally Asamite, Giovani, and followers of Set. Ravnos are allowed but only with a really good reason.) when prepping for a game and running players through character creation. For one thing so they know what they've got to work with narrative wise. But for another so I've not got a party of Settites neutering most bad guys by having a staring contest with them. I'm willing to let a lot of stuff fly, abandoning plots at a moments notice and following players into all kinds of madness.

I once had a Nozforatu player break the masquerade by murdering a ton of people in the middle of the street screaming that he was Batman for no other reason that there was guy in a my little pony hoodie. The guy was knocked flying into a open sewer and was kidnapped by alligators and a tzimisi to become some kinda mutant unicorn thing dubbed 'killer clop'. It had started out as some kinda espionage mission but ended up as a big cartoony brawl in the middle of the street. Attaching fire works to police officers and throwing them at werewolves armed with rocket launchers while quipping one liners.

It sounds silly but that's just how we roll.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Yeah the Arrow is indisputably all about becoming a Tough Fighter, and not in some elementary metaphorical way either.

The Arrow does not, emphatically, try to alter Sleeper culture in general. That's a job for Cryptopolies and Labyrinths. That's not to say the Arrow doesn't act as an "advisor" to Sleeper forces they've somehow compromised, but that's a very different job from a Ladder propagandist identifying and exploiting ideological gaps in Fallen civilization.

The Arrow material is very clear about their "every Marine a rifleman" kind of attitude. Mission creep is a possibility, but it will always be with an eye towards militarizing things, in a practical way. If it doesn't help the Pentacle win battles against Seers, or anyone else, the Arrow isn't going to be very interested in it until it's properly weaponized.

An Arrow with a day job as a defense attorney makes perfect sense, but not because "the real fight is in the courtroom", it's because there's plenty of dangerous and desperate people (and their weapons, money, drugs, etc) caught up in the criminal justice system who might make good Tough Fighters (and the weapons, money, drugs, material etc doesn't hurt either!). Any concern for the Fallen justice of the matter is likely a distant second priority, because There's A War On. A real one, where victory is possible and then maybe Existence wouldn't be Struggle anymore.

1) Existence is always a struggle, because this is explicitly a metaphysical position, not just a description of the Fallen state. In Atlantis, existence was still a struggle. In whatever comes after, existence is still a struggle. This is ripped from microcosmic/macrocosmic practice in Taoism, but tuned to remove the complimentary nature of metaphysical forces in Taoism.

2) The order book really does tackle the "every Marine a rifleman" thing with notes that the Arrow would *like* this to be true, but not even wizards are routinely omnicompetent warrior-scholars. The only hard requirements are that you must keep your promises and be okay with violent actions. Don't keep promises or are a general poo poo? They kick you out. Can't shoot people? They kick you out. But there's a large gap between this and being an asskicker.

3) Game theory is already an innately militarized field. When it comes to being a lawyer, a metaphysical justification would work fine, but that person would be seen as less competent than a lawyer who can can also kick rear end. Similarly, an idiot who can *only* kick rear end will also stay on the ground floor. The order considers them both to be specialized tools/weapons to point at particular problems.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012

ErichZahn posted:

I've typed multiple posts explaining why Ferrinus is wrong, but none which explain how.

The Adamantine Arrow teaches game theory to it's recruits. This is a fact.

The Praetorian Ministry does not code video-games. They have a Fallen World, other Seers, captive armies, and Profane Urims for that.

Well, when I referred to "game theory" in the order book I was referring to what is also called decision theory, which I have a personal interest in. It's not really the same as academic game design, an emerging field about the intersection of technical game design, psychology and a bunch of other stuff. It's John Nash, RAND Corporation paranoiac-logic. (Nash has done some interesting recent work on delegated agents that reflect his understanding of his own psychological condition compared to his Cold War work.)

Out of all the orders, I probably designed the Arrow with the softest divisions between their mission and metaphysical stuff, precisely so that there could be a wider field for character concepts. You can develop characters that emphasize one aspect or the other, though being a conflict metaphysician who can't fight has social consequences.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The best thing about game theory is when the early game theorists had their secretaries run through their tests and got really upset and confused when the secretaries behaved like human beings and not value-maximizing machines.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
So game theory = libertarianism?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Game Theory actually changed to try and account for human factor as opposed to screaming about it with a fedora on.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Well, that answers that.

http://theonyxpath.com/mage-the-ascension-20th-anniversary-edition-faq-part-2/ posted:

Last question: So what’s up with the “Satyros” thing, anyway?

I’ve changed my name since the old days.

I never liked my birth-name to begin with, and if I’d had a better option, I would have changed my name long before I joined the White Wolf pack. As it was, I acquired the nickname “Satyr” during my days at the Wolf, thanks to my passionate temperament and my work on Changeling: The Dreaming. When I left the staff in 1999, I started going by “Satyr” in order to rebuild my identity. I founded Laughing Pan Productions and Quiet Thunder Productions under that name, and have published dozens of projects under it as well. In 2011, our beloved Greek tribe gave me the name “Satyros,” and although I go by “Satyr” in my personal life, “Satyros Phil Brucato” is now my established professional name.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Have we found out yet if he kept out paradigm information for fear of players doing real magic again?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Well, the success of the Kickstarter campaign was a work of real magick, so maybe he's softened his stance a bit.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Kellsterik posted:

Well, the success of the Kickstarter campaign was a work of real magick, so maybe he's softened his stance a bit.

Let's not go overboard- it's not like he's Grant Morrison or something.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I was jokingly referring to this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/deluxe-mage-the-ascension-20th-anniversary-edition/posts/765549

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Goddamn.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Is that like the art for the Sons of Ether or...?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kavak posted:

Is that like the art for the Sons of Ether or...?

They're the Society of Ether or something now, but I think that's art for them, yeah.

I was hoping it wouldn't go full retard steampunk, but here we are.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Swagger Dagger posted:

I was hoping it wouldn't go full retard steampunk, but here we are.

Dude, it's the SoE. There's no way they couldn't not do that.
I cannot wait to see how bad the Adepts are gonna be. So excited.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 19, 2014

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Post hot flywheels & the steampunkest pics u got

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The best part is that, thanks to the stretch goals, you can get this on a shirt.

More seriously, I thought the SonsSociety of Ether was supposed to be raygun gothic, not steampunk. I guess they accept any anachronistic, vaguely racist aesthetic style?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I always have the Sons of Ether be like Ghostbusters / Back to the Future style scientists, not this dumb poo poo

Whatev, I'm looking forward to the 100,000+ word Nephandi book :unsmigghh:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Picture single-handedly makes the Technocratic Union kicking them out of the science club an act of sound logic and good taste.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Zikan posted:

Picture single-handedly makes the Technocratic Union kicking them out of the science club an act of sound logic and good taste.

Which it always was.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Grim posted:

I always have the Sons of Ether be like Ghostbusters / Back to the Future style scientists, not this dumb poo poo

Whatev, I'm looking forward to the 100,000+ word Nephandi book :unsmigghh:

I always thought those were the Void Engineers?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Steampunk/clockworking is absolutely a pseudoscience. I just hope it's not crowding out the rest of them.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

pospysyl posted:

The best part is that, thanks to the stretch goals, you can get this on a shirt.
Of all the bad decisions I could make, this is the one I want to make the most right now.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Yawgmoth posted:

Of all the bad decisions I could make, this is the one I want to make the most right now.

This, but Virtual Adepts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Like the other Traditions, SoE groups are based primarily on aesthetics. Shame they picked the lameo steampunk group instead of The Manhattans, but that's the price you pay when you want an Etherite standing still instead of beating Hit-Marks to death with white-phosphorous robo-fists or ripping their lab-coats open to reveal that their chest is an atom bomb.

Go look up the poo poo Oppenheimer and company feared would happen when they set the Trinity device off. Radioactive lightning is the coolest idea ever. :science:

• Locked thread