Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

But...but...they're the Honda of Italy :negative:

You just loving take that back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've heard it said before, as a way of articulating how apparently reliable they are nowadays :v:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So which one of you dirty snitches told my Shiver I was seeing Triumphs behind it's back? Because it's developed an oil leak to try and emulate my bit on the side. Now instead of spending the second nice weekend of the year riding it I'll be crawling around trying to trace the source to make sure it's just "character" and not terminal.

(I spent the *first* nice weekend of the year cleaning it, which may, I admit, be the real reason it developed an oil leak, to punish my hubris)

That's the problem with cleaning your bike, you might have a wad of grimy dirt stopping up a leak

NEVER CLEAN YOUR BIKE. Dust it off with your hands, or a dustrag if you must.

Hello I am Pigpen from Peanuts comics

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Phy posted:

That's the problem with cleaning your bike, you might have a wad of grimy dirt stopping up a leak

Is't every bike just supposed to leave a little spot of oil where ever you park it? :)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Phy posted:

That's what pisses me off most about when the gas pump nozzle still has some fuel in it and it spills down the side of the tank when I go to put it in the hole. Now I have this clean bit down the side and that's no drat good! So I get a paper towel from the bins by the pump and smear it around a bit in hopes that I can make a mess of it again.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Protip: hold your leather glove under the nozzle tip till it clears your dirty-rear end tank.

Your hand smelling like gas is an added benefit

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I've heard it said before, as a way of articulating how apparently reliable they are nowadays :v:

You're missing the "of Italy" part of that phrase though, these things are relative.

Aprilia are the 90s Kawasaki of Italy, IMO. Throw loads of mad stuff at the wall, occasionally come up with utter gems, get completely ignored in favour of the others.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Protip: hold your leather glove under the nozzle tip till it clears your dirty-rear end tank.

Your hand smelling like gas is an added benefit

Pro-er tip - as a man you surely have daily experience of something that retains a small amount of liquid after you've finished using it, and should know how to deal with it. Don't worry, more than three shakes won't actually make the Baby Jesus cry.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Pro-er tip - as a man you surely have daily experience of something that retains a small amount of liquid after you've finished using it, and should know how to deal with it. Don't worry, more than three shakes won't actually make the Baby Jesus cry.

So I'm supposed to whack my dick back and forth on the sides of the urinal for a couple seconds?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

So I'm supposed to whack my dick back and forth on the sides of the urinal for a couple seconds?

You mean you can't? Goondolences.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Preferably up and down too, then quickly flick it up and away from the direction of the urinal entirely.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You're missing the "of Italy" part of that phrase though, these things are relative.

Aprilia are the 90s Kawasaki of Italy, IMO. Throw loads of mad stuff at the wall, occasionally come up with utter gems, get completely ignored in favour of the others.

This is prior to putting it in the hole, not when removing it. I make sure it's empty before I pull it out, it's when I take it off the rack and the last person (probably a woman) didn't shake the tip that it spills everywhere.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Linedance posted:

This is prior to putting it in the hole, not when removing it. I make sure it's empty before I pull it out, it's when I take it off the rack and the last person (probably a woman) didn't shake the tip that it spills everywhere.

I can't tell which you're talking about.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Do you not already do that? :stonk:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Well poo poo, don't tell the whole world.

PolishHero
Nov 11, 2005
Bob knows what to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWcZDV_NKsM

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Someone told me you shouldn't bang the nozzle because it can cause a spark, t/f?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tanbo posted:

Someone told me you shouldn't bang the nozzle because it can cause a spark, t/f?

False. For what are hopefully fairly obvious reasons nothing in the fuel tank or filling system uses ferrous metals or anything that gives off sparks.

(The tiny grain of truth is that you *can* get a static spark when the nozzle touches/get close to a metal part of the vehicle, which isn't a concern for motorbikes because they're earthed as soon as the stand touches the ground)

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

There's a parking garage I walk through for lunch that I noticed has a sign (like most) that says no motorcycles. Yet the garage has motorcycle spaces. :confused:

I'm planning to ride there sometime next week to see if anybody says something.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Tanbo posted:

These metaphors are getting confusing

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Modern vapor recovery systems make gas pump fires way less likely than people think.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

unless your old bike has a gashole that's incompatible with the vapor recovery fitting, and you have to hold the fitting back manually so it thinks it's plugged in to get the pump to start.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sagebrush posted:

unless your old bike has a gashole that's incompatible with the vapor recovery fitting, and you have to hold the fitting back manually so it thinks it's plugged in to get the pump to start.

Or you could live in the 49 states that don't require gas pump foreskins.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Small price to pay for legal splitting!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Snowdens Secret posted:

These metaphors are getting confusing

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

tranten posted:

Small price to pay for legal splitting!

I know. :negative:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Trying to sell my bike online and I want to gouge my loving eyes out. For reference, central auckland and henderson are about 20km and six or seven suburbs apart. Henderson is actually part of 'waitakere city' in an administrative sense.

"Hey where abouts are you so I can look at the bike?"
"Henderson, when did you want to have a look?"
"Are you near the CBD at all? It said in the ad central auckland"
"Nope not at all, it says in the sellers details 'waitakere city' and in my description I said bike is located in Henderson."
"Sorry man I'm looking at a bunch of bikes I must be mixed up"
"Ok"
"Dad is in Glen Eden [two or three suburbs away] are you around there lots?"
:suicide:

JUST GET OFF YOUR loving rear end AND COME TO LOOK AT THE BIKE OR gently caress OFF YOU STUPID oval office!!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Christ, the poo poo people want to trade you on craigslist is just :psyboom:

Yesterday I got an offer to trade RC toy trucks for it. Today I got an offer for 20 new in box "humanscale" lamps. I don't know what the gently caress that poo poo is, but sounds like a new-age scam.

Really??

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

OSU_Matthew posted:

Christ, the poo poo people want to trade you on craigslist is just :psyboom:

Yesterday I got an offer to trade RC toy trucks for it. Today I got an offer for 20 new in box "humanscale" lamps. I don't know what the gently caress that poo poo is, but sounds like a new-age scam.

Really??

Humanscale is a furniture design firm. You could fill your house with 20 several-hundred-dollar lamps!

When I was selling the Husky, my favorite trade offer was for a big-rear end pickup truck. Yes, my ad lists the bike as being as far in downtown Chicago as you can get. I would LOVE a gigantic pickup truck to drive around and park downtown.

A guy talked to me on Monday and offered $500 less than I was asking. The soonest he could make it out there was Thursday. On Tuesday I met up with another guy, and he handed me $400 less than I was asking in cash. Yep, OK, let's do it. I emailed the $500 less guy to tell him that the bike was sold for more than he was offering, and he got pissed at me because he had already bought an exhaust for the bike. I was apologetic, but seriously, who the hell buys an exhaust for a rare bike when the deal isn't done yet?

tjones
May 13, 2005

Safety Dance posted:

Humanscale is a furniture design firm. You could fill your house with 20 several-hundred-dollar lamps!

When I was selling the Husky, my favorite trade offer was for a big-rear end pickup truck. Yes, my ad lists the bike as being as far in downtown Chicago as you can get. I would LOVE a gigantic pickup truck to drive around and park downtown.

A guy talked to me on Monday and offered $500 less than I was asking. The soonest he could make it out there was Thursday. On Tuesday I met up with another guy, and he handed me $400 less than I was asking in cash. Yep, OK, let's do it. I emailed the $500 less guy to tell him that the bike was sold for more than he was offering, and he got pissed at me because he had already bought an exhaust for the bike. I was apologetic, but seriously, who the hell buys an exhaust for a rare bike when the deal isn't done yet?

While I have no sympathy for the $500 less guy, he probably thought the deal was done.

I normally inform anyone who is buying anything from me that has to wait for any reason that there needs to be a deposit of some sort with the deal in writing, or it may be sold to someone else if the price is right. The plus side of this being it usually tends to speed up the whole process and sometimes they will outright pay more to keep it from being sold out from under them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How about "yo do u wont to swop for my bike + cash? its a 92 fzr600 heaps of work done" verbatim? Yes, happily, I'll subtract a grand off the price and take your hosed old bike to sell as parts.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Went out to my bike this morning to find one of the mirrors broken off. Next to my bike, taking up the compact spot and part of mine, was the giant, uselessly raised truck. I hate this place.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 381 days!
I went out to my bike while running errands yesterday to find that somebody had stuck a wad of gum onto my left-hand footpeg. People can be terrible sometimes.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I haven't been on a motorcycle in a month.

The last time I went on my Bandit the mirror started buzzing so wildly that my girlfriend could hear the rattle over my unbaffled Holeshot exhaust system from 50 feet away on her Ninja.

Also my right fork seal is leaking and fixing it will be expensive and a pain in the rear end (no stand so I'd need to either take it to a shop or buy one, and the shop said they'd only do it if they did a full fork oil change as well). :geno:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Have you got a floor jack? I did my ZRX forks with a floor jack to lift and axle stands to hold the bike up on the frame slider knobs.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Armchair Calvinist posted:

A month, huh?

:smith:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Armchair Calvinist posted:

The last time I went on my Bandit the mirror started buzzing so wildly that my girlfriend could hear the rattle over my unbaffled Holeshot exhaust system from 50 feet away on her Ninja.

Also my right fork seal is leaking and fixing it will be expensive and a pain in the rear end (no stand so I'd need to either take it to a shop or buy one, and the shop said they'd only do it if they did a full fork oil change as well). :geno:

You can just put a floor jack under the exhaust or a solid part of the cases with the bike on the sidestand and get the front forks off that way. I do that quite often.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Have you got a floor jack? I did my ZRX forks with a floor jack to lift and axle stands to hold the bike up on the frame slider knobs.

Z3n posted:

You can just put a floor jack under the exhaust or a solid part of the cases with the bike on the sidestand and get the front forks off that way. I do that quite often.

:colbert:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Engine crane with a strap around the handlebars works aswell.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'll see if I can manage to do that! Gonna order the part and see if I can't get it fixed sometime next week. Thanks guys :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Or hang it from the rafters with tiedown straps. I did that all the time with ~my bandit~ at my old place. That is of course assuming you have rafters