Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
"So you say you got out of your car and left it running, and then someone got in it and drove it away?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I've seen some policies that flat out refuse coverage if your car was damaged during a high speed chase - i.e. all those cars he hit while being chased. Or if your car is used in a felony after being stolen/jacked, insurance usually won't pay out for anything except the damage to your own car.

LloydDobler posted:

Well let's turn that video into an AI PSA at least. Hey AI: Go make sure you have comprehensive coverage. It's cheap and worth it. Covers break-ins and theft, vandalism, trees falling, sinkholes opening, parking lot hit and runs, etc. Mine adds about $8 a month to my policy.

Not in all states. Here, for example, a hit and run is covered by your collision coverage - unless you have uninsured/underinsured, in which case it falls under that coverage.

Comprehensive in TX doesn't cover hit and runs - parking lot or otherwise.

Niven posted:

Also what's with all the unlocked doors? Just about every car I've driven in the last ~10 years auto locks the doors above ~5 kph, is this not a thing in the US?

On my car, it's something you have to enable by doing a dance with the keyfob and power lock buttons. Same to have it automatically unlock when you put it in park (or in the case of a manual transmission, like mine, when you shut off the car). It's off by default; when on, it locks at 5 mph.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My $40 remote start had that as a feature. I went ahead and turned it on. I kinda like it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
When some fuckhead in a snowplow left my hood and grill crushed in the parking lot at my old apartment it counted as a no fault collision :( Not having comprehensive is pretty dumb. I've found that even dropping collision isn't worth the 10 bucks a month it saves me.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

When some fuckhead in a snowplow left my hood and grill crushed in the parking lot at my old apartment it counted as a no fault collision :( Not having comprehensive is pretty dumb. I've found that even dropping collision isn't worth the 10 bucks a month it saves me.

Just hope your car never gets keyed, that'd be an expensive out of pocket depending on how big of an rear end in a top hat the key-er was.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic

xzzy posted:

It can go both ways because once you make a claim everything suddenly costs more. Depending on the fine print there's a huge class of incidents you never want to report because paying out of pocket ends up being cheaper.

Only for at-fault claims, at least for Geico. I had my car repaired from an attempted break in, and a month later stolen (I no longer live there). Neither raised my rates.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Yeah, I had somebody key big swirls down the length of my truck parked in the base PX parking lot. Base police were utterly uninterested in even taking a report. Geico paid (minus deductible) to have the entire side repainted with no change in rate.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

veedubfreak posted:

The DW is Dry Wet = sucks rear end in the snow, summer tire.
The DWS is Dry Wet Snow = all season "ok" in the snow
The Winter Extreme is exactly what it sounds like.

I used my DWS tires for the past 2 winters and there were a few occassions where I wasn't sure I was going to stop in time. Combine that with them being at about half tread, I got 15" Winter Extremes and have not had any white knuckle drives at all.

Just to add to this, I use the Extreme Contact DWS on my Si (215/40R18s) and they're usually pretty good since most of our winters here (North Central Kentucky) are pretty mild. But with this year being what it has been I've had to be really careful at times. Though they usually only give me issues at take off and low-speed turns.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So there's a guy on my street who owns a Mk4 Supra, which he just pulled out of winter storage. Only now it has gaudy as gently caress orange wheels and quite possibly the largest tire stretch I've seen in person. Gonna try to get some pictures tomorrow.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
People have successfully sued police departments for damages and injuries resulting from a police chase, which is why many departments allow people to run nowadays.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Here in NZ there is a large and vocal anti-chase movement because the media make it seem like every other chase results in death and this is the fault of the police. Pursuit policies have been scaled back drastically and the police will quite literally stop chasing you if you exceed a certain speed or it drags on for too long because of the bad PR. The reasoning being they can just track you down and arrest you later using normal police procedures.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Niven posted:

How mad were the people that managed to dodge the madman driving the wrong way down the highway towards them, only to have the police throw spike strips directly in front of their cars.

Also what's with all the unlocked doors? Just about every car I've driven in the last ~10 years auto locks the doors above ~5 kph, is this not a thing in the US?

My car from 07 does, but I turned it off. It's a manual, so the doors only unlock when you shut off the engine, which I found really annoying when I would go pick people up (kept forgetting to manually unlock). My sister's 09 mazda doesn't have this feature. Neither does my parents '11 Subaru.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Here in NZ there is a large and vocal anti-chase movement because the media make it seem like every other chase results in death and this is the fault of the police. Pursuit policies have been scaled back drastically and the police will quite literally stop chasing you if you exceed a certain speed or it drags on for too long because of the bad PR. The reasoning being they can just track you down and arrest you later using normal police procedures.

This is what happens when you retire the last of the V8 Interceptors

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

some texas redneck posted:

On my car, it's something you have to enable by doing a dance with the keyfob and power lock buttons. Same to have it automatically unlock when you put it in park (or in the case of a manual transmission, like mine, when you shut off the car). It's off by default; when on, it locks at 5 mph.

Or you could own a Volvo. Press the Menu button on the Control Panel, select Car Settings, choose Autolock On or Off. :smuggo:

Slavvy posted:

Yeah, here in Sweden that's a factoid. Everyone :airquote:knows:airquote: that this is how it works, and still we get high speed chases in the papers at regular intervals.

Two pictures of typical high speed pursuits in Sweden included.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Yes, this will definitely work.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Chinatown posted:

Yes, this will definitely work.

She's not towing the car with the horse, she's stopping a spooked horse. Why wouldn't you think that would work? I've done it from another horse.....I don't see why it wouldn't work from a car.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

My Cadillac has auto lock / unlock as a selectable option through the DIC. I have it turned off because gently caress wearing out my door lock actuators with that nonsense. Carjackings really aren't a thing around here, and even if they were, they'd probably skip my car anyways. There's plenty of much nicer / newer cars around to pick from.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Or you could own a Volvo. Press the Menu button on the Control Panel, select Car Settings, choose Autolock On or Off. :smuggo:

Yeah, here in Sweden that's a factoid. Everyone :airquote:knows:airquote: that this is how it works, and still we get high speed chases in the papers at regular intervals.

Two pictures of typical high speed pursuits in Sweden included.

I spoke to a cop once and he said that if speeds exceed 160km/h they're told to break off the pursuit, but the rules are apparently different for the highway patrol who only police the major motorways.

Motronic posted:

She's not towing the car with the horse, she's stopping a spooked horse. Why wouldn't you think that would work? I've done it from another horse.....I don't see why it wouldn't work from a car.

Aren't horses terrified of cars because they're idiot animals with no sense?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

That still looks like a terrible idea but then again I don't know much about horses!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Slavvy posted:

Aren't horses terrified of cars because they're idiot animals with no sense?

Most I've been around are pretty chill around cars and things with engines. They grow up around them enough not to care or even associate them positively with food and people.

Bicycles however freak them the gently caress out. Something about the shape, speed, and relative silence of the bike must trigger some sort of "danger! large predator!" switch in their dumb heads.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

Bicycles however freak them the gently caress out. Something about the shape, speed, and relative silence of the bike must trigger some sort of "danger! large predator!" switch in their dumb heads.

My dog always thought bicycles being ridden by people were distinct from people. She would bark furiously at a human disembarking from a bicycle but a bicycle sailing past with the same human, no problem.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Is that the same officer in both pictures?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Black88GTA posted:

My Cadillac has auto lock / unlock as a selectable option through the DIC. I have it turned off because gently caress wearing out my door lock actuators with that nonsense. Carjackings really aren't a thing around here, and even if they were, they'd probably skip my car anyways. There's plenty of much nicer / newer cars around to pick from.

I've had the auto lock sort of save my rear end once, in a previous car (aftermarket alarm, but setup to auto lock/unlock). Had a guy walk up yelling about wanting the money (I had a "free pizza and money" sign on my car) and try to open the door. He was confused when he couldn't open the door, so he reached inside and tried to unlock it.

Funny how quick someone goes from demanding money to bawling their eyes out once they get dragged across a parking lot with their arm stuck in rolled-up window. I know I've told this story before in here though.

I've been sort of carjacked once - someone demanded the car while I was topping off the radiator. Just shrugged and said the keys were in it - it was a rusted out 88 Accord with over 250k on it (this was in 1998), and I didn't have any form of insurance on it. Cops called me 2 weeks later, said they'd had the car for over a week, and I was free to pick it up (if I could pay the daily storage fee, which started the day they found it... and couldn't inspect the car before paying the impound + storage). Car was wrecked and had a roasted clutch, kind of wish I'd just let them keep it. Wound up selling it as a parts car for $100. Also found a small amount of (really lovely) coke and (equally lovely) weed in the trunk :wtc: along with a bunch of smelly clothes and several IDs.

My starter will probably wear out long before the lock actuators - I shut the engine off at every delivery. And I'm paranoid about keeping the doors locked if I'm in the car to begin with, so the doors are getting locked/unlocked as much as they would anyway. The switches are also kind of a "meh, we'll slap them where they'll fit" afterthought.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 15, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What in the gently caress.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

Is that the same officer in both pictures?

Nope, we've just got plenty of pilfs here in Sweden.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Also found a small amount of (really lovely) coke and (equally lovely) weed in the trunk :wtc:

How did you know it was lovely?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Well, the coke was warm and flat, and

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

KozmoNaut posted:

All of the coke I've done has been pretty... white. This was kind of discolored, kind of tan. It tasted like coke, sort of. More like Arm & Hammer than anything. I didn't snort it, just tasted it. I've been around enough stuff to know this was a poo poo product, anyway.

The weed... as someone who has smoked enough weed to get mainland China high for a decade.... I just knew when I saw it. It was like leaf trimmings instead of actual :420:

I'd specifically asked the cops "are you absolutely sure there's no drugs in the car?" and received several "YES!" in response. I stopped at the first dumpster I found on the way home to clean it out, there was an insane amount of paraphernalia in the car. Plus a small amount of actual drugs.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Slavvy posted:

What in the gently caress.

STR lives a very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very weird and stressful life

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

It was 1998, damnit. I have a couple of coworkers who were born that year..

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

All of the coke I've done has been pretty... white. This was kind of discolored, kind of tan. It tasted like coke, sort of. More like Arm & Hammer than anything. I didn't snort it, just tasted it. I've been around enough stuff to know this was a poo poo product, anyway.

The weed... as someone who has smoked enough weed to get mainland China high for a decade.... I just knew when I saw it. It was like leaf trimmings instead of actual :420:

I was just wondering whether you just went "eh, never look at gift horse in the mouth" and did it right off the dashboard v:v:v

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

I'd specifically asked the cops "are you absolutely sure there's no drugs in the car?"

Calling bullshit.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
A friend's dad had his explorer stolen in the mid 90s. Recovered a week later, he also asked "are you absolutely sure there are no drugs in the car?" to which the police reassured him they'd given it the once-over with the dog.

A few months later he got in a minor fender bender that dislodged the rear bumper. There was half a kilo of cocaine in it. Which he returned to the police.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I can't believe you paid a week and a half of impound fees to get a burned out Accord back. Then again you said you had access to pretty good drugs, so :v:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Panty Saluter posted:

I can't believe you paid a week and a half of impound fees to get a burned out Accord back. Then again you said you had access to pretty good drugs, so :v:

If you don't pay don't they just send you to collections?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

GutBomb posted:

No clue, I've been fortunate enough to avoid the impound yard so far.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I didn't bother taking a picture, but someone parked a dealer car next to me at work. (I work at the corporate office of a regional dealership chain)

Nitrogen tire inflation was a dealer installed option with a $299 line item on the window sticker.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

GutBomb posted:

If you don't pay you don't get the car. If you don't get they car, the impound yard sells it and keeps the money.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

A few months later he got in a minor fender bender that dislodged the rear bumper. There was half a kilo of cocaine in it. Which he returned to the police.

This probably explains why people on my commute get into accidents so often. YAY CRASH IT'S THE FEELS GOOD CLOUD YES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Network42 posted:

I didn't bother taking a picture, but someone parked a dealer car next to me at work. (I work at the corporate office of a regional dealership chain)

Nitrogen tire inflation was a dealer installed option with a $299 line item on the window sticker.

Some people in the D&D politics thread were defending the dealership model as a good thing for localities because the money doesn't go to the out-of-state car companies.

:psyduck: