Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I couldn't resist looking over the spoilers and all that stuff sounds awesome. Is the J-Drama version subbed?

MagicalDuck posted:

You're going to like the equivalent manga arc. (I'd consider it the best arc.)

No sarcasm? Looking forward to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

A Big Dark Yak posted:

(Worst being Minako's Actual Idol Singer character with her mysterious and kinda nonsensical but totally serious and super-dramatic illness.)

Really? I kinda liked that part. It was melodramatic, but so was the whole drat series, and it did a lot to differentiate Minako from the anime's "Usagi but more so" characterization.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

TK-31 posted:

I couldn't resist looking over the spoilers and all that stuff sounds awesome. Is the J-Drama version subbed?

Fansubs only, but yeah. For the love of god don't get TV-N's version though.

TK-31 posted:

No sarcasm? Looking forward to it!

The Dream arc in the manga is probably my favorite too so I have to agree with it being the best.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

aers posted:

Fansubs only, but yeah. For the love of god don't get TV-N's version though.

Are there other fansubs? At the time of it's release I could only ever find TV-Nihons.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I was gonna ask that too, but I assume the Miss Dream subs are better, since they're the only other alternative that I've found.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I'm not quite convinced Miss Dream's translators know Japanese but even then their release is still better than TV-N's, which should tell you something.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Yeah, The SuperS arc in the comic is apparently Takeuchi's favorite too. It's a main reason it feels so bizzare the show's version is such poo poo (and without the catchup excuse; apparently the comic was done when it aired) barring the little character filler bits the show's always good at; by mid-story you pretty much need to treat the comic and show as different things, since they don't really bother to keep consistent with each after that point.

In the anime, StarS feels like a weird summation of everything that happened in the show at that point themewise (handsome jerky guy befriends main character, mysterious little kid from nowhere, Outer senshi being grouchy dicks every other Monday,etc) but the comic is weird as gently caress too so its hard to compare. Apparently there was a whole production drama behind the 3 new characters too (creator didnt like them being anything but ladies in drag, and IMHO that change only happened because one of them non-jokingly horndogs pretty heavily on the main character and they didnt want it to be "weird" )

A Big Dark Yak posted:

(Worst being Minako's Actual Idol Singer character with her mysterious and kinda nonsensical but totally serious and super-dramatic illness.)

The Soap Opera Cancer thing though is profoundly J-drama lame esp since it doesn't ultimately tie into the story *at all*, so I wondered if that was an outside inclusion.

Everything else? I think the writers did the best with what they could; I was really wary about the whole deal of keeping her separate for mysterious purposes cause it sounded like more Outer Senshi style plotline bullshit, but for its part the change was handled ok; its just a What If where Venus strings out her misdirection decoy plan past her introduction, and runs with the idea that the whole Sailor V gimmick (ie, I'm going to be a kickass famous hero then regulated to the 5th One on a team) really could result in a kind of bitter Minako if you thought about it enough. Plus you have episodes explaining why she was doing it, and why the others were or weren't ok with it, so it didn't feel purely like a padding thing. I only liked the Actual Idol thing because, for as much as that seems to be Minako's dream in other versions, IRL being one is kinda actually stressful and hard and its the kind of hosed up irony PGSM seems to love.

Overall though, I think the problem is every other character, even with the changes, was so on point once the story revved up (sans Mamoru, who is neither ~dreamy~ enough nor a hilarious rear end in a top hat enough to not be dull as poo poo, sans his Childhood Friend subplot). It helps most of the changes feel plausible (e.g., Ami, as a real human being, actually being hyper emotionally clingy and passive-aggressive or the Rei, actually coming off as a bitch, could be genuinely frustrating and so on)

But Minako was so different from her other incarnations that it really didn't 'feel' like Minako.

keet fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 25, 2014

aers
Feb 15, 2012

penguinmambo posted:

Yeah, The SuperS arc in the comic is apparently Takeuchi's favorite too. It's a main reason it feels so bizzare the show's version is such poo poo (and without the catchup excuse; apparently the comic was done when it aired) barring the little character filler bits the show's always good at; by mid-story you pretty much need to treat the comic and show as different things, since they don't really bother to keep consistent with each after that point.

I don't mind the SuperS anime that much since a lot of the reason I like the show is the filler anyway. That being said it premiered in March, which is the month the 5th or 6th chapter of the arc in the manga came out, which would mean it was about halfway done. Production on the season would have started months earlier, though they still would have had just as much material to work with as they did for the other seasons (the anime went into production pretty much the month the first chapter came out).

penguinmambo posted:

In the anime, StarS feels like a weird summation of everything that happened in the show at that point themewise (handsome jerky guy befriends main character, mysterious little kid from nowhere, Outer senshi being grouchy dicks every other Monday,etc) but the comic is weird as gently caress too so its hard to compare. Apparently there was a whole production drama behind the 3 new characters too (creator didnt like them being anything but ladies in drag, and IMHO that change only happened because one of them non-jokingly horndogs pretty heavily on the main character and they didnt want it to be "weird" )

In the manga version there's way less Usagi/Seiya stuff for a couple reasons (the manga is of course way shorter than the adaptation and Usagi spends most of it pretty traumatized anyway), and its pretty clearly established that Seiya is drawn to Usagi because she reminds her of her own princess (Kakyuu). I don't know how much drama there was during production but after the fact Naoko pretty clearly stated her surprise towards and dislike of changing them from girls cross-dressing as guys to guys who transform into girls when they, well, transform. I sort of wonder what would have happened if Ikuhara hadn't quit Toei over the SuperS movie and directed Sailor Stars. S is most obviously his and he kept Uranus and Neptune's relationship intact which isn't all that surprising given what we know of him now, so I imagine Ikuhara Stars would have been a bit different.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I was looking Sailor Moon stuff on youtube and, well, I'll let this speak for itself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=358ewVY2nko

keet
Aug 20, 2005

aers posted:

I don't mind the SuperS anime that much since a lot of the reason I like the show is the filler anyway. That being said it premiered in March, which is the month the 5th or 6th chapter of the arc in the manga came out, which would mean it was about halfway done. Production on the season would have started months earlier, though they still would have had just as much material to work with as they did for the other seasons (the anime went into production pretty much the month the first chapter came out).

In the manga version there's way less Usagi/Seiya stuff for a couple reasons (the manga is of course way shorter than the adaptation and Usagi spends most of it pretty traumatized anyway), and its pretty clearly established that Seiya is drawn to Usagi because she reminds her of her own princess (Kakyuu). I don't know how much drama there was during production but after the fact Naoko pretty clearly stated her surprise towards and dislike of changing them from girls cross-dressing as guys to guys who transform into girls when they, well, transform. I sort of wonder what would have happened if Ikuhara hadn't quit Toei over the SuperS movie and directed Sailor Stars. S is most obviously his and he kept Uranus and Neptune's relationship intact which isn't all that surprising given what we know of him now, so I imagine Ikuhara Stars would have been a bit different.

U&N were also kind of training wheels for his Utena thing so I'm not surprised. AFAIK, they were still together in the comic but more of a exposition-to-the-audience thing (I always got this weird tone that Takeuchi liked Haruka better since she says Michiru is the "hardest" to write for and her ladyboner for 'Zuka stuff), which I assume got inflated a bit in the show cause filler and needing to present a friendlier side to em; apparently the musicals versions of them were really popular which borrowed a little from both versions. The funniest thing is they still go thru that weird "soft-reset of personality then highly exaggerated trait" thing side characters always seemed to do after their arc (probably moreso since apparently the original writing team was mostly gone by that point) and since the thing anyone remembers is "well they flirted", that pretty much becomes their ENTIRE thing by Stars.

Hell, with them already teasing nostalgia-merch with *all* the girls, I'd love it if they just did a big tease and included everyone in earlier than originally intended, even if it was only in playful cameos. At the very least it's not like you have to hide from the audience who these people are, just the specific plot; I don't think we've seen any new version of the post-S stuff since PGSM got canned before it could even try.

keet fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jan 26, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm not sure that it got canned so much as it told what it wanted. Sure I'd like a modern take on ChibiUsa's "searching for superman" deal but the one series was fine on its own. Ballet-fu and all.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Ah, I remember this coming onto UPN back before anyone knew what anime was and we'd be all "Ahaha, why do their mouths get so big?"

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
More staff has been announced, it seems.

I'm not really familiar with any of the names, but apparently the art folks from Gatchaman Crowds are involved. That can only be good; visually, that show popped.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

More staff has been announced, it seems.

I'm not really familiar with any of the names, but apparently the art folks from Gatchaman Crowds are involved. That can only be good; visually, that show popped.

Well as long that's all they get from that show then we'll be far better for it.

I don't want to even think of what "Sailor Moon Crowds" would entail.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I wouldn't mind a total reimagining of SM. One can always just watch the original if that's what one wants. But then, I also liked Crowds.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I wouldn't mind a total reimagining of SM. One can always just watch the original if that's what one wants. But then, I also liked Crowds.

Crowds was a pretty nice way to "reboot" a series. Sure, it was rather removed from the original, but I like seeing a reboot that has more ambition rather than just simply updating something for modern viewers. Since like you said, the original will still exist!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
To put it bluntly, I'll watch Battle of the Planets if I want to watch a "Re-imagining" of Gatchaman long before I even think of Crowds.

They didn't to do badly with Cashern Sins and that got my hopes up and then they made [C] again with vague hints of Gatchaman with a Mary Sue who makes Haruhi look reasonable.

I worry for Tatsunoko some times between [C] and Crowds.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 27, 2014

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

The composer is responsible for "second generation" Precure series (Fresh-Smile), so he's got magical girl experience.

Sample Tracks:

Leitmotif:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1E6d1cB-s0

Comedic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsimzyZ8pIY

Sentimental:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdUqwatfwNs

Battle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGoHld7hC9Q

Villains:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI_Ha7QhLWc

Henshin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykAUhgN4-9I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhX8PLExiT8

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Ok.

I really, really hope the music isn't Takanashi's generic PreCure stuff, but he has some superb OSTs on other shows.

The art directors are really good and if the BG direction (this is what they're responsible for) is anything like Mononoke and Kyousougiga it'll be wonderful.

The character designer has never done anime character designs before and she's a massive fujoshi (she's literally been credited for "BL animation" on a show before) so its pretty hard to find examples of her art that aren't dudes, but her actual animation work is extremely pretty and has some superb subtle character and hair stuff -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqimGmfiDtg&t=1265s (the entire scene where they're facing each other and talking is hers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc_hT0xn030&t=1000s (again, similar scene, this one is unconfirmed but she worked on the episode and the animation style and art is incredibly similar)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20cQ0OhGX58&t=1718s (scene up until she blacks out after being attacked)

This is important because the majority of the time the character designer is the chief animation director of a show, so the CD has a massive influence on overall look and feel.

Cautiously optimistic, I guess.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

aers posted:

This is where I'm at.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

aers posted:

The character designer has never done anime character designs before and she's a massive fujoshi (she's literally been credited for "BL animation" on a show before) so its pretty hard to find examples of her art that aren't dudes, but her actual animation work is extremely pretty and has some superb subtle character and hair stuff -

Well at leaest the Mamrou scenes might pop. That's something. Bout time he got something to do other than be set up for the final blow or the dood in distress.

Man when they get to R and he gets to pull of Tuxedo La Smoking Bomber with that sort of Gundam flare :c00lbert:

aers
Feb 15, 2012

http://sailormoon-official.com/animation/

Countdown ends on Day 1 of Anime Japan. Expecting news there.

Site launch is probably key visual.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

aers posted:

http://sailormoon-official.com/animation/

Countdown ends on Day 1 of Anime Japan. Expecting news there.

Site launch is probably key visual.

Maybe then we'll finally get some sort of art for the new series.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

oops

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Huh, so the new anime title is with Crystal. The art looks pretty if that is how the anime art will be. I'm optimistic now.

Revolver Bunker fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 14, 2014

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Time for an avatar change.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
So its going to be a more faithful adaptation of the Manga?

I'm hoping the art is at least good and not too much like Takeuchi noodle-style.

At least there won't be any Chibiusa seeing as its the Dark Kingdom plot again.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

RMZXAnarchy posted:

There's still a chance they might be doing the entire manga. Announcement synopses usually only describe the basic content of the first few episodes.

Not sure if I like the logo. It's seems busy and off balance. The original was nice and clean.

Snow Halation fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 14, 2014

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Well, I'm sold if the whole show looks as good as that promo image.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

So its going to be a more faithful adaptation of the Manga?

The production staff are billing the show as a total re-adaptation of the manga from the ground up. Whether or not it's going to get the full Brotherhood treatment is still up in the air.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I'm totally amused that somebody found that image by searching the website with anime.png

Someone actually named that image anime.png and it amuses me

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Wow! That looks gourgeous! I'm definitely going to watch this now! I just hope they don't ruin "Moonlight Densetu"

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
I sure hope it isn't NicoNico-exclusive because videos there look like poo poo.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Don't even joke.

I did not get short shifted for a year to not get more Prof. Tomoe, a proper adoption of SS (That wasn't a bizarre mishmash that somehow did worse things to ChibiUsa's profile than her Dub VA for R) and Stars (What it needed was more seven episode epics like the SS Epilogue and Galaxia arcs).

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 14, 2014

Tree Huffer
Jul 26, 2007

dude were so
high right now
hahaha
I'm more excited in seeing Sailor Mars the way she was depicted in the manga. Seriously, I don't understand why they had to make her boy-crazy.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
If the live action was any indication I hope we get to see the weapons and accessories that were in the manga. The promo still mentions nico nico but I somehow hope that crunchy roll picks it up or something.

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

Revolver Bunker posted:

If the live action was any indication I hope we get to see the weapons and accessories that were in the manga. The promo still mentions nico nico but I somehow hope that crunchy roll picks it up or something.

NicoNico is owned by Dwango, who is on the copyright for the new anime page. They've already mentioned streaming on NicoNico (obviously better for them as a company), so I doubt we'll see it licensed for streaming elsewhere as the committee will go "why bother?"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ahaha they just threw out the countdown timer altogether on the site.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

I hope they adapt the entire manga. I'd like to see the final costumes for all the senshi, especially now that Toei's animators have the multi-tiered skirts figured out (compare Eternal Sailormoon to Cure Rhythm.)

aers
Feb 15, 2012

I think Suite's designs are really awful and busy but I understand what you're getting at.

I guess it'll be fine as long as Takahashi (the Suite CD) keeps his hands off ADing SM since he's one of the worst Toei has at animation directing.

He's on HapCha though so its less likely he'll be on SM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly claris
Jan 5, 2007

M'aiq thinks deadly claris is best partner in crime.
I really don't like the art in the promo image. I guess it's pretty, but really reminiscent of run-of-the-mill Takeuchi-inspired fanart that pops up allover the place and it doesn't strike me as memorable, or as a style that would work well in animation. There is so much going wrong from the chest down that it kind of boggles my mind. I can ignore the problems with her chest, but below the waist is impossible. She literally has no rear end, and her poor legs. I just have no idea what even.

I've been so excited for this, but the anniversary CD was really underwhelming for me and this image makes the artist in me want to wring some necks and scribble all over the place.

e: After looking at this more I am totally positive this is Takeuchi's work and I'm feeling more optimistic about the anime.

deadly claris fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 15, 2014

• Locked thread