Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
I drove from Ohio to Providence RI once, and took a "scenic" detour through New Jersey and NYC via the GW Bridge. I barely made it across the bridge on fumes, and coasted into the first gas station I could find.

I pull up to the pump, and the attendant comes out to help me. As I'm getting out of my car, he sees my Boston Red Sox hat, and gives me the evil eye. My life flashed before me at that moment, as I witnessed the malice in the eyes of that small but stocky brown fellow. (I couldn't tell if he was Mexican or Indian or Pakistani or whatever, all I knew was that he saw me as his mortal enemy)

I pumped my own gas, putting in just enough to get me out of sight. I paid for my $5 of gas, took off my cap, and filled my tank half a mile down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Food Netwerk was the best twitter, shame they got shut down by the real Network.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I was someplace in Ontario after having lived in the US south and never having anyone pump my gas for me, and I must have surprised the attendant who walked up because I immediately started to treat him like he was going to ask me for money or rob me. Like, I wasn't even aware that there were people who still pumped gas for you in the 21st century, and it took him a few tries to make me understand and believe that it was his job.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Krinkle posted:

...I've never pumped my own gas...

I have a coworker who is 54 years old and never pumped her own gas until 6 months ago. Her husband always did it for her but he had to go out of town or something. I'm not sure how they got through 34 years like that in Louisiana and Kansas where you have to pump your own gas.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

My 12 year old pumps my gas for me most of the time and has since he was ten. He's never once even come close to having any sort of problem. It's not rocket surgery.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
These loving gas pump stories are awesome! Gas gas gas pump gas pump gas pump pump I live in New Jersey gas pump gas gas gas gas gas

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Vicas posted:

I live in New Jersey and I don't think I've ever seen someone tip a gas station attendant

Another New Jersey poster here. The only time I've seen someone tip an attendant was when they were working on Christmas day. Said person was already making 9.15/hr for being a gas attendant for a convenience store, and making 3x his wage for working Christmas. They tipped him another 100 for being a "poor soul working christmas".

Gas attendants here make pretty decent money usually.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Krinkle posted:

I've never pumped my own gas.

A friend of mine from Shanghai drove out to visit me here in Michigan last year, and had never pumped gas before. I was with him when he successfully prepaid at the pump and immediately pulled the pump handle, then turned to me to ask "what do I do now Ofaloaf" as gas just started pouring everywhere.

Have a kid wearing sunglasses.
e: NO WAIT I DIDN'T READ THE GRAFFITI poo poo
e2: have something else

Ofaloaf has a new favorite as of 05:02 on Mar 15, 2014

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

Maytag posted:

These loving gas pump stories are awesome! Gas gas gas pump gas pump gas pump pump I live in New Jersey gas pump gas gas gas gas gas

He looks so loving accusatory I'd have just taken them right back off.

"Hey kid, don't you believe in fairies?"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

edit: oops, big. timg'd

Looks like a good place to get your fingers caught and ripped off.

More bones for the bone playground.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

You've seen Carcosa?

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Post about pumping gas again. I dare you.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Met posted:

edit: oops, big. timg'd

And this looks like a good way to ensure your toddler never makes it through potty training.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Haha guy still has an interior in his bug.

a sexual elk has a new favorite as of 05:53 on Mar 15, 2014

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

stubblyhead posted:

And this looks like a good way to ensure your toddler never makes it through potty training.

It's John Muir!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Dewgy posted:

It's John Muir!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

I wouldn't really be surprised if these magazines (and their men's equivalent) all said the exact same thing every month but in a different color scheme.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

God drat! White girl has booty!

- Jefferson

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Your response might be historically inaccurate, umalt.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

I lived in Massachusetts where sometimes you had locking pumps, sometimes you could pump it yourself, and sometimes they pumped for you. I would regularly tip the attendant $20-$100 if it was mid blizzard and I didn't want to fill both tanks on my diesel, two tank, plow truck. I could spend that time being warm and buying smokes.

Edit: I am retarded and Awful App loads slow. Dumb gas pump derail.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

This bugged me until I remembered that lives are always coming.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

PepperSinclaire
Jan 21, 2007

But everyone's doooing it!
Meanwhile, in the baby toys section of the supermarket...

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Frostwerks posted:

This bugged me until I remembered that lives are always coming.

I believe that happens before the lives.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

There's some more. A few decent ones are mixed in.

PepperSinclaire posted:

Meanwhile, in the baby toys section of the supermarket...

Oh, this reminds me of something I saw in a grocery store's toy section a few weeks ago.

"Cutant" just didn't look right at first glance.

Zesty has a new favorite as of 16:15 on Mar 15, 2014

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

I'm pretty sure the "men" is supposed to mean "mankind" or "humanity" (implying both men and women), but, in this overly-PC, semi-educated era, you might as well be explaining quantum physics.

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

My favorite:

mediocre dad okay
Jan 9, 2007

The fascist don't like life then he break other's
BEAT BEAT THE FASCIST

Penny Paper posted:

I'm pretty sure the "men" is supposed to mean "mankind" or "humanity" (implying both men and women), but, in this overly-PC, semi-educated era, you might as well be explaining quantum physics.

Pretty sure nobody was reading that from it. The funny is in the sign directly underneath.

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Met posted:

Oh, this reminds me of something I saw in a grocery store's toy section a few weeks ago.

"Cutant" just didn't look right at first glance.

"Shinny styles"? This is a knockoff right?

Penny Paper posted:

:frogout:

This moth looks like a grilled cheese and that is hilarious to me.

Suzuki Method has a new favorite as of 17:32 on Mar 15, 2014

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Penny Paper posted:

Go to sleep grandpa.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
ed: in an abundance of caution I guess.

xxEightxx has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Mar 15, 2014

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

xxEightxx posted:

Absolutely nothing, which is funny in its own right. All gas stations near me have signs that say if you do, its like a $900 fine. Thankfully they all have breakaway lines, so its not like you are going to destroy the entire gas station if you do.

Why don't they hook up a little thing at the break away line that blares an obnoxiously loud siren when this happens so that people leaving might realise they've done something retarded?

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

dpack_1 posted:

Why don't they hook up a little thing at the break away line that blares an obnoxiously loud siren when this happens so that people leaving might realise they've done something retarded?

They would just drive away faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
Seeing a gas hose hanging out of a cop car is hilarious.

• Locked thread