Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Rodney Grosskopff is the most Mega City One name that a real-life person can have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

VincentPrice posted:

I disagree. Dredd passed her because he saw her as a full Judge when she let the hacker guy go. She realizes there's more to judging than just executing perps, it's also about protecting the innocent. She takes charge as a Judge for the first time in that scene, and that's also when he starts calling her Anderson instead of rookie.

That's a good point and I never picked up on that, and ive seen the film quite a lot. Excellent touch.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

VincentPrice posted:

I disagree. Dredd passed her because he saw her as a full Judge when she let the hacker guy go. She realizes there's more to judging than just executing perps, it's also about protecting the innocent. She takes charge as a Judge for the first time in that scene, and that's also when he starts calling her Anderson instead of rookie.

That's a good way of looking at it - but Dredd himself was in favor of executing him. So either Dredd was wrong about the perp, or Anderson was and convinced Dredd to agree with her. The secret pro answer is the entire system is wrong - everyone is made to do bad things by their situation. Some more than others of course, but the Judges ignore things like endemic poverty / the environment people are raised in and so on and treat all people as if they're completely responsible for their actions. Whenever you draw a line between 'innocent who got made into what they are' and the simple 'perpetrators' there's invariably going to always be more conflict. Like, even the Judges are corrupt at this point. Something needs to change on a level bigger than Dredd or Anderson are used to.

The scene where she doesn't shoot the guy is a reflection of the earlier scene where she does shoot him - in the form of the man whose relative we later meet. Anderson learns that criminals have families and people who they love, criminals are people too, blah blah blah...however, she incorporates this into being a Judge - I am a fascist, I shoot people who break the law even if they do it because they were led to by their situation, but there's a couple of lawbreakers on the fringes who are acceptable enough that I choose to save them from my own violence, therefore I'm the good guy.

Remember, we see Ma-Ma's story end where, for the film, it began - threats to the system (hers, then the Judges') are given a ritualistic and horrifying death to make an example to everyone else and cleanse the system. The Judges are just the bigger mob bosses. Remember Ma-Ma started out as a prostitute and rose to the top as a result of being horribly mistreated and lashing out. She is also a product of the system. Either everyone should be saved (real social change!), or everyone should be killed* - it's Anderson's suspension of really thinking about what is right that ensures the system remains corrupt and the violence perpetuates. Compare and contrast with some wartime Nazis who realised they were wrong and stood on the firing line themselves to die, or tried to assassinate Hitler, or defected and joined the Allies. Nazis who are nice to a few Jews or foreigners who they see as redeemable aren't really enough, even if they feel warm inside.

*The Dark Judges are a good expression of this. They represent the ultimate conclusion of this thinking - if you're merely led by your situation to commit a crime, then being alive is the real crime because it leads you to be a criminal. The Dark Judges are only one tiny, tiny step removed from the real ones, and probably agree with Anderson about the dangers of being alive in the world. But they both choose to fight life, rather than the world. Where are the Light Judges?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I might have to rewatch the scene, but I seem to remember from Dredd's tone that it sounded like he was trying to go all reverse psychology on her. "You sure you don't want to shoot him? It's a Judgey thing to do, and you want to be a judge, right? I'm trying to get you to make the right choice here by half-sarcastically encouraging the wrong one."

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I took it as being like an exam where the answer you give isn't as important as whether you can plausibly argue it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I kind of took it as he was making sure she was letting him go for the "right" reason. She let him go because he was a victim, not because she was going easy on a criminal.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I get the feeling that if Anderson hadn't previously impressed Dredd with her psychic abilities, he would not have hesitated to issue judgement on her.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I feel it was more to do with the fact that at that point Dredd had learned to trust Andersons psychic ability and accepted her judgement because if it was left to just his judgement he would have ISO'd him.

*EDIT* Not oonly did he accept her as a psychic, he accepted her as a 'mutie'

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

massive spider posted:

I took it as being like an exam where the answer you give isn't as important as whether you can plausibly argue it.

That's how I see it too, she's being a real Judge rather than just saying what she thinks Dredd wants her to say.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Anderson didn't care at that point what Dredd thought because she had already failed (by losing her weapon )

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

Anderson didn't care at that point what Dredd thought because she had already failed (by losing her weapon )

Although arguably she didn't lose her "primary weapon," which could be reasonably interpreted as "her head."

VincentPrice
Jun 26, 2009

Tender Bender posted:

That's how I see it too, she's being a real Judge rather than just saying what she thinks Dredd wants her to say.

That's my take on it too, though HBomberguy makes a great point.

blackguy32 posted:

To a point, but she still asserts her authority as a judge. She literally says she wants to do at least one good thing by letting him go.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

massive spider posted:

Law school exams in the real world typically function this way. The fact-patterns under analysis yield no clear answers, so the test isn't about reaching the right conclusion; instead, it's about picking a position and arguing it persuasively.

There is no definite answer to the question of whether the man Anderson freed is innocent or a criminal (and he may be innocent of some crimes, yet guilty of others). Many of his crimes were committed under extreme duress, but MaMa didn't have a knife to him at every moment of every day, and being traumatized and intimidated isn't an excuse for criminal activity in many/most real-world jurisdictions.

And, of course, there is a question of line drawing. If we agree with Anderson, how can we be sure in the future about whether a suspect's circumstances "forced" them into criminal activity, or if they should instead be held fully responsible for their actions?

The scene is set up in a way that triggers fuzzy feelings about Anderson's decision, but she is no more objectively in the right than Dredd is; she just reaches a conclusion that, given the knowledge that the audience has, seems just. Also, I personally don't think that Dredd is testing her in that scene. He really is ready to punish her for aiding a "criminal", but is dumbfounded and ultimately relents because he hadn't even considered her position, and she articulates it so forcefully that he's compelled to reconsider his.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

That's basically what I was saying. Anderson's solution - that people are led to break the law - is correct. All too correct. Letting some guy go isn't really a solution to the far deeper problem she just became aware of. How she deals with this information, or how she should deal with it, is up to the viewer.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
By the way, Dredd just won Amazon's "best movie ever" March bracket.

http://www.amazon.com/b?ref_=tsm_1_fb_s_dvd_n3b9sb&node=8846845011

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

GORDON posted:

By the way, Dredd just won Amazon's "best movie ever" March bracket.

http://www.amazon.com/b?ref_=tsm_1_fb_s_dvd_n3b9sb&node=8846845011
Gotta be an april fools day thing. But I like the exposure and I think they did it unironically.

So amazon should produce the next Dredd. Lets start a whitehouse.gov petition for that.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

KoRMaK posted:

Gotta be an april fools day thing. But I like the exposure and I think they did it unironically.

So amazon should produce the next Dredd. Lets start a whitehouse.gov petition for that.

I had been voting for about a week before. Peeps were getting PISSED when Dredd kept winning. It was finalized on 3/27/2014. Don't think it was an April Fool's.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

KoRMaK posted:

The petition for a Dredd sequel already exists through Rebellion and hit 100,000 names last week. Alex Garland has reportedly been approached about script, so someone's putting feelers out to see how much it would cost.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

KoRMaK posted:

It is definitely not an April Fools joke. I have been voting on this from the Make A Dredd Sequel FB page.

Heres a link for good Dredd info https://www.facebook.com/MakeADreddSequel?fref=ts

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 2, 2014

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

It is definitely not an April Fools joke. I have been voting on this from the Make A Dredd Sequel FB page.

Heres a link for good Dredd info https://www.facebook.com/MakeADreddSequel?fref=ts

Including a cool message from Karl Urban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-rE79vRsdU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

BreakAtmo posted:

Including a cool message from Karl Urban.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-rE79vRsdU

How did I not know he wasn't an American? :confused:

Also, cool!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Karl Urban is the celebrity I'd most want to have a beer with I think. I've never seen him come off as anything other than 100% genuine.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Basebf555 posted:

Karl Urban is the celebrity I'd most want to have a beer with I think. I've never seen him come off as anything other than 100% genuine.

You'd be drinking tequila according to him, actually. I just saw him in Seattle last weekend for Emerald City Comic Con and he seemed really enthused about a Dredd sequel, and also hopeful that Almost Human would get renewed. He's charming as hell and I have a serious boner for him.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DrNutt posted:

You'd be drinking tequila according to him, actually. I just saw him in Seattle last weekend for Emerald City Comic Con and he seemed really enthused about a Dredd sequel, and also hopeful that Almost Human would get renewed. He's charming as hell and I have a serious boner for him.

SEATTLE IS COFFEE AND DEPRESSION SURROUNDED BY DARKNESS AND RAINSTORMS.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Does that make the dry side of Washington the Cursed Earth? :v:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

GORDON posted:

SEATTLE IS COFFEE AND DEPRESSION SURROUNDED BY DARKNESS AND RAINSTORMS.

I poo poo you not he basically walked out on stage and said this in his McCoy voice. Karl Urban owns.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrNutt posted:

Goddamnit, I'm too much of a pussy to hang out with Karl Urban I guess, I'd puke all over him.

Has he ever spoken about his experience on Doom? I wonder what his thoughts are on that movie since I think he might actually give an honest answer unlike most actors.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
He got to hang out with the Rock and likely got six figures at least, he probably loving loved it.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Basebf555 posted:

Goddamnit, I'm too much of a pussy to hang out with Karl Urban I guess, I'd puke all over him.

Has he ever spoken about his experience on Doom? I wonder what his thoughts are on that movie since I think he might actually give an honest answer unlike most actors.

He spoke about it a convention I went to a while ago - basically, he said the movie that was planned and the movie that ended up in cinemas were two rather different things.

edit: Something I was curious about - have you guys found it common for people to respond to being told about Dredd with "Oh, so they did a sequel to/remake of that crappy Stallone movie?"

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 3, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BreakAtmo posted:

He spoke about it a convention I went to a while ago - basically, he said the movie that was planned and the movie that ended up in cinemas were two rather different things.

edit: Something I was curious about - have you guys found it common for people to respond to being told about Dredd with "Oh, so they did a sequel to/remake of that crappy Stallone movie?"

Only along the lines of "Well yeah at least it's probably better than the Stallone movie," even amongst the most casual moviegoers I know. People remember the 90s Dredd but the idea that the two are directly related beyond the characters doesn't seem to be a thing outside of people on internet forums assuming this is what people think. The Stallone production was horrible overall but I think the bad marketing and odd release in Europe (wasn't there some situation where the distributor chose to only have it play in a very expensive 3D version there with no 2D option which made it flop even harder than in the US?) hurt the movie more than comparisons to the 1995 adaptation.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Only along the lines of "Well yeah at least it's probably better than the Stallone movie," even amongst the most casual moviegoers I know. People remember the 90s Dredd but the idea that the two are directly related beyond the characters doesn't seem to be a thing outside of people on internet forums assuming this is what people think. The Stallone production was horrible overall but I think the bad marketing and odd release in Europe (wasn't there some situation where the distributor chose to only have it play in a very expensive 3D version there with no 2D option which made it flop even harder than in the US?) hurt the movie more than comparisons to the 1995 adaptation.

Hmm, maybe. I ask because my friend actually did, in fact, assume it was a sequel or remake when I told him about it and I had to explain its actual nature. Even then, yes, all those other issues were likely more important.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

BreakAtmo posted:

Yes, even I thought that until I watched it on a lark and realized how wrong I was.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
As much as the Stallone movie has held people back from giving Dredd a chance, if you do succeed in getting someone to sit down and watch it the comparison does nothing but work in Dredd's favor. Their expectations are so, so low and after 15 minutes when they realize this is a slick, incredibly well shot action movie that even has something to say, they usually are very pleased that they've found this hidden gem.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Yeah, agreed. I mainly asked because I was having an internet-argument elsewhere with someone who thought blaming the Stallone movie was 'a lazy excuse' because 'no one remembers it'.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Today Amazon's TV&Movie facebook page was having another poll asking peeps which was the best Indiana Jones movie. I, of course, had to answer,"Dredd."

I need to check back and see if anyone got the joke.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Basebf555 posted:

He and Keanu should be best buds.

I still don't get the hate for the Stallone Dredd, it ruled.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

effectual posted:

He and Keanu should be best buds.

I still don't get the hate for the Stallone Dredd, it ruled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glUf4PQ-vuU :colbert:

No but seriously it was great. As far as cheesy 90's action movies go Stallone Dredd is definitely in the top 10 at least.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

There's a ton of things the Stallone Dredd did right - when Stallone keeps the helmet on, he's spot-on as Dredd. The depiction of Mega City One is awesome, and the soundtrack by Alan Silvestri owns. The animatronic ABC Warbot is completely kickass, too.

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

Xenomrph posted:

There's a ton of things the Stallone Dredd did right - when Stallone keeps the helmet on, he's spot-on as Dredd. The depiction of Mega City One is awesome, and the soundtrack by Alan Silvestri owns. The animatronic ABC Warbot is completely kickass, too.

It also more than doubled Dredd's (2012) box office earnings despite inflation along without the help 3D. :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ungoal posted:

It also more than doubled Dredd's (2012) box office earnings despite inflation along without the help 3D. :smugbert:

It's just not fair. :negative:

• Locked thread