Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
So funny question - I know the common wisdom is don't buy armor on pistol round because it isn't going to save you from headshots anyway - but I'm watching Katowice replays and seeing a lot of armor buys on pistol round. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'
It saves you from body shots.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
it also reduces aim punch which can be huge. really just avoid most of the pistols, spend as much as you can, and play around with different builds to see what works for you.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013
Pretty sure most people say armor is a fine buy for pistol round. On CT side you will want a few people to buy kits, and nades are really handy for defending so armor is a little less common. T side armor is very common though.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
I wouldn't armour up on CT pistol because I find smokes/flashes/kits/5-7 more useful during those rounds but unless you have a specific plan to use bought nades effectively I'd just go with armour and a decoy on T.

You'll see pros get armour up because their teammates can throw the entry nades while they entry frag in set plays.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
CSGO MM Report: Playing mid on dust 2, calling out when people are rushing cat or when a B rush happens. This gets me muted, then kicked. Standard.

IT BEGINS fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 15, 2014

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Pretty sure you are not giving the whole picture here.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Seriously am. The only thing I can think of that would get people mad is I was rifling the other team in the warm-up in spawn. Then again, I hadn't warmed up so :iiam: I asked why I was getting muted and got no response.

Aspergeoisie
Jun 6, 2009

by R. Guyovich

IT BEGINS posted:

CSGO MM Report: Playing mid on dust 2, calling out when people are rushing cat or when a B rush happens. This gets me muted, then kicked. Standard.

Is your voice awful? Or maybe you weren't concise enough. I've played with people trying to be helpful who don't realize that they should shut the gently caress up so I can hear the drat chickensfootsteps.

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL
Grips best knife NA.

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Aspergeoisie posted:

Or maybe you weren't concise enough. I've played with people trying to be helpful who don't realize that they should shut the gently caress up so I can hear the drat chickensfootsteps.

yeah, it's the worst when someone is trying to tell me where someone is while I'm sitting there trying to listen for footsteps. If you can't say "Lobby" or "Long doors" and need 3 long sentences describing where you saw him then I'd rather you just let me figure it out for myself.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Gristley Bear posted:

Grips best knife NA.

You're wrong.

(it's astro)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The few times in the past I've tried to watch comp CS:GO it was always an embarassing one-sided stomping, usually inflicted by NiP. So this Fnatic vs. LGB match at EMSOne is awesome in comparison, they're neck-and-neck and just hit a third map.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

You're wrong.

(it's astro)

:getin:

I'll make a frag video at some point. Minineo had some sick ninja defuses yesterday too that need to get youtube'd.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

The Kins posted:

The few times in the past I've tried to watch comp CS:GO it was always an embarassing one-sided stomping, usually inflicted by NiP. So this Fnatic vs. LGB match at EMSOne is awesome in comparison, they're neck-and-neck and just hit a third map.

Great game. It's pretty odd to so see so many defuses while the terrorists are alive though.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
fnatic blew that match on those 2 not-fake defuses. Good for LGB though

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!

astr0man posted:

fnatic blew that match on those 2 not-fake defuses. Good for LGB though

Still not as bad as Swag yesterday letting a full 10 second defuse finish in a 1v1.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

BrandNew posted:

Still not as bad as Swag yesterday letting a full 10 second defuse finish in a 1v1.

Same thing happened in the fnatic/lgb match

BrandNew
May 16, 2007

Get me my BLUE WINDBREAKER!

astr0man posted:

Same thing happened in the fnatic/lgb match

Haha, only saw the 2nd one as I woke up after the first 2 maps.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

BrandNew posted:

"HE'S OFF IT" ... ... ... bomb defused

noooope, way to go sgares. Too bad there are no english teams left because the in-game comms on the POV streams are great.

mcvey fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 15, 2014

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

mcvey posted:

"HE'S OFF IT" ... ... ... bomb defused

noooope, way to go sgares. Too bad there are no english teams left because the in-game comms on the POV streams are great.

I watched them in group stage, but I couldn't watch coL in the quarters, there was too much ambient noise on stage and it made it hard to pay attention to.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

142,000 players in GO right now.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

These big events are actually helping in bringing the crowd(s).

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
It's also 75% off again.

I'd love to see some numbers about regular players over the last 12-18 months plotted against big tournaments/updates.

Stumbletron fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 15, 2014

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Why is the Deagle so bad :( I don't know about accuracy or recoil buffs, but it loses way too much damage over range. It shouldn't take 4 rounds to kill someone with .50 ammunition. If it were a 3hk at long ranges instead of 4 I would be much more content.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 15, 2014

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Stumbletron posted:

It's also 75% off again.

I'd love to see some numbers about regular players over the last 12-18 months plotted against big tournaments/updates.

NTT posted:

Why is the Deagle so bad :( I don't know about accuracy or recoil buffs, but it loses way too much damage over range. It shouldn't take 4 rounds to kill someone with .50 ammunition. If it were a 3hk at long ranges instead of 4 I would be much more content.
Unless you're toeing every shot it should(?) be 3hk even at range. The deagles alright if you can crouch, don't shoot it standing up.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

What happened in December?

Was it dreamhack that made the number go up?

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 15, 2014

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Kamrat posted:

Was it dreamhack that made the number go up?

Steam Winter Sale + Dreamhack I bet.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Unbound posted:

Steam Winter Sale + Dreamhack I bet.

And it's been rising ever since. Look out MOBAs Counter-strike is coming back.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Dreamhack added more new players than releasing the game did :lol:

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Stumbletron posted:

The game has come a long long way since release.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

astr0man posted:

Minineo had some sick ninja defuses yesterday too that need to get youtube'd.

Mini tried so hard so many times for a ninja defuse, and it was all worth it when it finally happened.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Stumbletron posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why this is surprising. Not only has, as mcvey said, the game come along way. But it's big events that get a lot of viewers and interest. Valve, to their credit, went out of their way to make DHW special, and now Katowice has given them another boost.

My ultimate goal for CS:GO and for competitive CS, is for them to standardize the leagues. Maybe 4 big majors a year, but some kind of unified point or standings system so that teams don't wind up getting left out from being invited to the big events simply because they play in a league that isn't quite as large. They'd have to standardize the map pool (which probably means 100% Valve maps), but I think it would go along way to legitimizing CS again.

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006

mcvey posted:

The game has come a long long way since release.

Yeah I wasn't being critical or anything. It's clear that we're in a period of explosive growth.

GO is my first CS game, and I'm less and less in the minority in that regard every week. It seems like a good thing to me. There are a lot of negatives attached to new players, but provided they stick around they won't be new forever. The way it's growing seems to imply that we/they are sticking around.

Are there any numbers for Source/1.6's playerbase at their respective peaks?

Go Virtus! e: :smug:

Stumbletron fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Mar 15, 2014

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

mcvey posted:

Unless you're toeing every shot it should(?) be 3hk even at range. The deagles alright if you can crouch, don't shoot it standing up.

I think I try to 1deag too much, I should spend a long afternoon DMing with it going only for body shots so I can get used to using it in a chaotic mid ranged environment.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

NTT posted:

I think I try to 1deag too much, I should spend a long afternoon DMing with it going only for body shots so I can get used to using it in a chaotic mid ranged environment.
No you should still focus on headshots with it, that's kind of the point of the Deagle, it one shots to the head. The thing you need to focus on is slowing down your rate of fire. Stop completely, fire off one shot, make sure the gun is settled before firing again. Deathmatch with the Deagle and focus on not spamming instead of focusing on body shots.

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.
Are hostage maps ever played at serious levels or in tournaments? I enjoy them

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Coleman posted:

No you should still focus on headshots with it, that's kind of the point of the Deagle, it one shots to the head. The thing you need to focus on is slowing down your rate of fire. Stop completely, fire off one shot, make sure the gun is settled before firing again. Deathmatch with the Deagle and focus on not spamming instead of focusing on body shots.

If you're already going for headshots isn't the deagle completely outperformed by the five-seven?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

RedQueen posted:

Are hostage maps ever played at serious levels or in tournaments? I enjoy them

Thankfully no.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Kamrat posted:

CSGO normally sits at $15, during the holiday sale(s) it was $3.75 which is low enough that a ton of people bought-in(myself included)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coleman
May 5, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

If you're already going for headshots isn't the deagle completely outperformed by the five-seven?
Only at point blank range. The Deagle will one hit kill a head, helmet or no, at any range. The Five-Seven has better range for a OHK than say, the P250, but not near as much as the Deagle does. (Deagle also does across the board more damage to the body for what that's worth.)

• Locked thread