Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

moot4king posted:

My LGS is replacing FNM Standard with Modern because it is way more popular and I am not sure how to go from Standard to Modern. Fetchlands, goyfs and that stuff I know about, but the sheer amount cards available makes it hard for me to build something. I know that my standard deck is legal in modern but it feels like I am going to have my rear end handed to me if I do that. Any help would be appreciated.

Monored is a good enough deck that is fairly cheap. I think only the goblin guides are expensive.

Lightning bolt
Rift bolt
Lava spike
Goblin guide
Keldon marauders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm running that worst land in an EDH deck :negative: I was actually thinking about dropping it for a different land, and you might have convinced me to do so.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Zenephant posted:

Let's play a game: try to guess the highest and lowest community rated cards on Gatherer
That is actually kind of fascinating. Not surprised about Break Open, but I am surprised that so many combo pieces won out over more generally useful cards. I'd have had Lightning Bolt as a contender for best instant, though that may just be because I'm a filthy casual who likes ending games faster than my opponent can win them.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Hey, Razor Boomerang can go infinite in a 5-7 card combo. Having even a bare capacity to go infinite is worth something, isn't it?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
There are a lot of bad lands, at least that one can kinda sorta go in a commander deck.

The only reason I bring it up is because, once, long ago, I accidentally brought home a french land card that got mixed in with some other cards I brought and got excited because it had a special ability. The only word I recognized was terria (or something like that) and I was all like, hey, maybe it can shut down land abilities or something like that. It turned out that what it did was remove a creature's landwalk ability for a turn.

It was very disappointing and I'm still bitter about it to this day.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Not really a Magic question per say; but I'm wondering what some storage solutions are for carrying around 6 decks or so worth of cards. Back in the day I used one of those ultrapro padded cases but now I'm looking for something hard, plastic and a bit more portable.

This ultra-pro box here is pretty close to what I'm looking for, just wondering if there were and other third party, possibly kick started type boxes. I used to like the fat pack boxes but I'm looking for something not made of cardboard these days.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

Not really a Magic question per say; but I'm wondering what some storage solutions are for carrying around 6 decks or so worth of cards. Back in the day I used one of those ultrapro padded cases but now I'm looking for something hard, plastic and a bit more portable.

This ultra-pro box here is pretty close to what I'm looking for, just wondering if there were and other third party, possibly kick started type boxes. I used to like the fat pack boxes but I'm looking for something not made of cardboard these days.

I think that Dragon Shield does a similar box like that, with the same 4 compartments.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

C-Euro posted:

I'm running that worst land in an EDH deck :negative: I was actually thinking about dropping it for a different land, and you might have convinced me to do so.

Is it bad or just too narrow of use?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Does it not count as stabilising if you kill them next turn for some reason?

When you get land flooded and they have Elixir + Codex Shredder + every other dumb U/W thing which means I can't kill them, it does.

It's more that somebody, somewhere in Wizards decided instant life gain and card advantage that you can play during combat is a fun interesting thing to play against, because blue totally isn't the best colour already.

(Realtalk, it's actually more that he was a smug prick who tried to go to time in game 1. I was give the sage advice of 'concede so you can go to game 2 dude' which I took. Then he :smug:ed on about how inexpensive his deck was, while running multiple Elspeths, multiple types of Jace and a playset of Sphinx's Revs. Yeah.)

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

bhsman posted:

Is it bad or just too narrow of use?

Seems like it'd be fine in a Captain Sisay deck, but ETB tapped is kinda rough for a narrow use card.

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
At GP Melbourne a couple of weeks ago, someone was playing a graveyard-based BG deck with Commune with the Gods, Satyr Wayfinder, Grisly Salvage, Nighthowler and Nemesis of Mortals.
I'm trying to throw together a similar deck on DeckStats, but I'm stuck at the above cards. Can anyone remember the list or know of a similar one?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Mondrian posted:

At GP Melbourne a couple of weeks ago, someone was playing a graveyard-based BG deck with Commune with the Gods, Satyr Wayfinder, Grisly Salvage, Nighthowler and Nemesis of Mortals.
I'm trying to throw together a similar deck on DeckStats, but I'm stuck at the above cards. Can anyone remember the list or know of a similar one?
It's called Standard Dredge and yup here's a bunch of lists. I would probably start with this recent 6-0 decklist.

There's a lot of nuance to this deck in knowing what you can top deck to just outright win the game. There's a lot of decision making to do. Sometimes it's better to NOT take a creature off a commune to power up your existing creatures. Try to watch some vids on youtube to get a feel for all the little interactions you can do.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mondrian posted:

There's been a little discussion in the deckbuilding thread - see here for a sample decklist.

It's very weak to graveyard hate (Scavenging Ooze being the big problem, but it'd also fold to Rest in Peace and probably Rakdos Charm if those start seeing play), but it completely tears up if people aren't prepared for it. I'm pretty sure I'm at zero match losses over the past few weeks at FNM, people playing RG are starting to up their Ooze count and everyone else is starting to talk about adding some graveyard hate to their sideboards. We'll see where that goes, I guess.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems
Starke of Rath for best EDH commander 2014.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

mehall posted:

Seems like it'd be fine in a Captain Sisay deck, but ETB tapped is kinda rough for a narrow use card.

C-Euro runs a Sisay EDH deck, which is why I asked. :v:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Mondrian posted:

I've been playing it pretty religiously - if you check the brewhaus for me posts you'll find a list I've tweaked and tuned.

I'd link you myself but I'm on my phone atm.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Balon posted:

I've been playing it pretty religiously - if you check the brewhaus for me posts you'll find a list I've tweaked and tuned.

I'd link you myself but I'm on my phone atm.
What do you think of the Jund version? Bloodrush does some really useful things and having up to 4 Flesh/Bloods is pretty sweet.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Korak posted:

What do you think of the Jund version? Bloodrush does some really useful things and having up to 4 Flesh/Bloods is pretty sweet.

The list is pretty tight as-is and I'd hate to go messing up a really small (20 land) mana base with a third color.

Also the reason there are only 8 spells maindeck is because you want everything else to be land or creatures - you CAN NOT afford to have spells in the deck that aren't tutors or give you a benefit in the yard.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Is there any room in the list for Desecration Demons? Or is he just the wrong kind of big idiot? (though the thought of using Jarad to chuck a countered-up Demon at the opponent's face has me slightly amused)

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

AegisP posted:

Is there any room in the list for Desecration Demons? Or is he just the wrong kind of big idiot? (though the thought of using Jarad to chuck a countered-up Demon at the opponent's face has me slightly amused)

The problem is that he's just not reliable as a threat - I would rather Nighthowler a Mystic than a DD 90% of the time.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Since DRS got banned in modern is he possibly going to hold any value after rotation? He went from $15 to $10 after the ban but he's holding decently at that value. Not a bad edh card either I guess.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Since DRS got banned in modern is he possibly going to hold any value after rotation? He went from $15 to $10 after the ban but he's holding decently at that value. Not a bad edh card either I guess.

Put like 90% of your net worth into DRS, it's a legacy machine.

Take loans out on credit if you have to.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Mulletstation posted:

Put like 90% of your net worth into DRS, it's a legacy machine.

Take loans out on credit if you have to.

This. It's a long term hold (you're probably looking at a few years to double up) since you're banking on purely Legacy value but it's a really solid one. I don't think it will see much of a post-Standard dip unless it becomes more popular in Standard since only a single tier-2 deck is running it.

And if it does somehow get unbanned in Modern it will quadruple overnight.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

It's the best 1cmc man in Legacy. And likely will continue to be for a very long time. Hold onto him.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Yeah. The fact that he stabilized at $10 even after the modern ban should tell you something. He's not going to stay banned forever. He will keep his value more so that pretty much anything else in RtR block (except maybe Abrupt Decay).

On a slightly different note, anyone else notice that Elspeth, Sun's Champion is ticking back up again? She's back to being above $20. I think I heard something about her being the Elspeth of choice for certain modern decks now, since she can nuke the field immediately after dropping, but anyone else have any specific reasons?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. The fact that he stabilized at $10 even after the modern ban should tell you something. He's not going to stay banned forever. He will keep his value more so that pretty much anything else in RtR block (except maybe Abrupt Decay).

On a slightly different note, anyone else notice that Elspeth, Sun's Champion is ticking back up again? She's back to being above $20. I think I heard something about her being the Elspeth of choice for certain modern decks now, since she can nuke the field immediately after dropping, but anyone else have any specific reasons?

She's just a really good control finisher in general. Three power per turn or nuke to deal with any of those ugly threats you don't want around. She is constantly adding to board advantage and her nuke doesn't mess with dudes you have that you may want around anyway.

She's just really solid all around.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Anyone else make it out to SCG seattle? I'm prepared to lose horribly and blame it on my hangover rather than my awful play.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

The US patent for Magic: The Gathering posted:

DETAILED DESCRIPTION

The present invention pertains to a game for two or more players wherein the players, sometimes designated as "wizards," engage in a baffle against each other in an attempt to defeat or destroy one another.

If you don't play Magic with the express purpose of bewildering your opponent to death, you're going against the spirit of the game.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

HMS Boromir posted:

If you don't play Magic with the express purpose of bewildering your opponent to death, you're going against the spirit of the game.

What do you think Perplexing Chimera is for?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

The US patent for Magic: The Gathering posted:

Creatures with first stake have the ability to hit their blockers or the creatures they are attacking before being damaged themselves.

Now I really wish they'd just quietly changed First Strike to First Stake for Elite Inquisitor.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cactrot posted:

Anyone else make it out to SCG seattle? I'm prepared to lose horribly and blame it on my hangover rather than my awful play.

I'll be there tomorrow. Good luck!

e: I wish it was still in Lynnwood rather than loving Tacoma though. Jeez.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So I tried my first commander game last night with a borrowed deck and actually enjoyed it. I was hesitant to get into commander because I tend to be a competitive personality who likes winning, and I've heard the bad stories about people that get mad if youre too aggressive or dont draw the game out, but the other two guys I played with were the same way so it was fun.

Are there any good mono-green lists out there maybe using Omnath as a commander? I thought about making a "big mana big creature" type deck. When Omnath says mana doesnt empty at the end of phases and steps, does that include end steps so you keep your mana across turns?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Yes, green mana will stay floating forever, or until Omnath leaves the battlefield in which case you have until the end of the step/phase in which he left to spend the mana in your pool or lose it.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

So I tried my first commander game last night with a borrowed deck and actually enjoyed it. I was hesitant to get into commander because I tend to be a competitive personality who likes winning, and I've heard the bad stories about people that get mad if youre too aggressive or dont draw the game out, but the other two guys I played with were the same way so it was fun.

Are there any good mono-green lists out there maybe using Omnath as a commander? I thought about making a "big mana big creature" type deck. When Omnath says mana doesnt empty at the end of phases and steps, does that include end steps so you keep your mana across turns?

quote:

You should play Omnath if:
- You like ramping into gigantic creatures or a massive army of tokens.
- You like generating an absolute boatload of mana.
- You like using that mana to beat face without having to actually spend it.
- You like casting Genesis Wave where X = 39 on turn 4.
- You like having a constant supply of readily available mana.
- You like killing people with your Commander.
- You like ignoring your opponents' threats and simply trampling over their defenses.
- You like playing a straight-forward "beat em up" style of Magic, as opposed to navigating the maze of multiplayer politics.
- You like winning.

You shouldn't play Omnath if:
- You don't like any of the reasons why you should play him.
- You prefer playing control or combo decks.
- You don't like being targeted automatically in multiplayer due to the strength of your Commander.
- You don't like being the target of most removal.
- You prefer winning by attrition, politics or subterfuge.
Seems like a fun deck.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yes to that entire list. I love bully decks for casual fun stuff. I'll have to look up some omnath decks and maybe start a commander deck to participate in games with.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

AI, I don't think you need all those Sneak Attacks.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

PrinnySquadron posted:

AI, I don't think you need all those Sneak Attacks.
Clearly it has Emrakul et al. in its (empty) hand.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Korak posted:

Seems like a fun deck.

Also, if I'm not wrong, and they don't remove him outside of your main phase, you can bring him back from your command zone with the floating mana.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mortimer posted:

Then give an alternative...?

Wanderer is insanely good in multiplayer and 1v1 alike. He won't win you friends, but he won't lose you friends like dick decks (augustin) do.

Ha ha ha.

Maelstrom Wanderer? Did I get the SA Forums and MTGS mixed up?

Unless something's changed, your ace for winning prizes in multiplayer edh is Scion of the Ur-Dragon with Hermit Druid Combo, Worldgorger Dragon Combo, and, if you are feeling super skittish about not having enough combos, Niv-Mizzet + Curiosity/Keen Sense.

I think most of that stuff is banned in French 1v1, though, since they don't have ~Sheldon~ making GBS threads up the format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

moot4king posted:

My LGS is replacing FNM Standard with Modern because it is way more popular and I am not sure how to go from Standard to Modern. Fetchlands, goyfs and that stuff I know about, but the sheer amount cards available makes it hard for me to build something. I know that my standard deck is legal in modern but it feels like I am going to have my rear end handed to me if I do that. Any help would be appreciated.

drat I wish a store around here would do modern fnm. As it is there is 1 store within like 30 miles of me that even has a weekly modern night and not enough people even show up for it usually. :(

• Locked thread