Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

In his last video, I love how he makes reference to the fact that Dwyrin says "And what do we know about the small knight?"

e: Also it's really cool that you can go to the Seattle Go centre. Tell us more about it. :allears:

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Mar 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Xom posted:

http://gogameguru.com/man-machine-match-final-results-game-commentary

Interesting commentary on Zen19 on $4000 computer vs. 2-dan amateur, written with kyū readers in mind.

TBH I find it hard to believe that Black is legitimately 2d looking at that game.

The computer plays a terrible opening and it should be easy for Black to take a solid lead, but then he plays a lot of submissive moves like he's scared of it... and even then he's doing fine until he tenukis when his group is obviously killable.

I think a lot of people are simply confused by the alien un-logic of computers' moves and freeze up because they're so used to relying on set patterns.

xopods fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 11, 2014

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Agree, you have to get a really good start with decent AI because the opening / midgame is their weak point, when the possible gamestates start closing down they will be very good at killing weak groups and own the endgame.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

KGS SDKs play some weird-rear end fusekis.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

I am a female professional baduk player from South Korea, AMA! posted:

there are two ways to study Life and death or tesuji problems. In case of tesuji, I used to memorize the possible variations in a problem instead of trying to come up with the solution myself. Still some take the way i did or some other try to solve and put more time on a particular problem , either way if you end up being like a dictionary then you succeed.
Interesting opinion.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Personally, I don't think memorising variations will help your reading skills. :shrug:

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Kheldragar posted:

Personally, I don't think memorising variations will help your reading skills. :shrug:

It will, though. It's just a bottom-up rather than top-down approach.

Compare with learning to play an instrument. You can start by learning scales and chords and keys and harmonies and all that theory, and then apply that knowledge to learn a song.

Or you can just learn to play a bunch of songs without bothering to learn why this note sounds good here and that note sounds bad.

It may be hard to see at first how learning to play one song helps you learn other songs if you haven't been taught all the general principles, but humans are good at inductive reasoning. If you learn a bunch of songs, you will eventually notice the similarities between them, that this note usually leads to this other note unless it was preceded by that one, and so on.

When I was a kyu, I couldn't understand how dan players were generally capable of remembering their games (up until the endgame, anyway) and replaying them accurately later on, without even making any special effort during the game to memorize.

When I reached that level of strength myself, however, I realized why it came naturally, which is that you're no longer thinking in terms of individual moves, but shapes and sequences. Basically, you're just remembering what the board looked like at various key moments when you gave particular thought to a move, and all the other moves that come between those moments are then easy to interpolate.

Where amateur dans tend to go wrong - both in terms of making tactical mistakes in playing, and mistakes in remembering the game afterwards - is when you get into weird, unfamiliar shapes, where the course of play is no longer natural and you're forced to improvise on the tactical level instead of reasoning on the strategic level. But the stronger you get, the fewer situations are alien to you, and I think part of being a pro is getting to the point where nothing on the tactical level really surprises you anymore.

So yeah. Knowing the answer to one tsumego might not help you much in a game, but knowing the answer to 10,000 tsumego, if you're a "dictionary" as she puts it, will help you. Because you can prune the decision tree way way down by, as a mathematician or computer scientist would put it, "reducing to a solved problem."

xopods fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 11, 2014

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

xopods posted:

So yeah. Knowing the answer to one tsumego might not help you much in a game, but knowing the answer to 10,000 tsumego, if you're a "dictionary" as she puts it, will help you. Because you can prune the decision tree way way down by, as a mathematician or computer scientist would put it, "reducing to a solved problem."

I think getting better at reading and doing tsumego is all about the reducing. You do the problems so you can reduce faster, and thereby consider more poo poo in a game. If you know the answer to a problem without having to think, you can think about something else, and all of the sudden you are, virtually speaking, reading out ten moves more than you were before. If you have to keep that consciously in mind, your ability to consider other things will suffer.

The best illustration, for me, of how tsumego works at higher level was when I was working at the go club on some problems while waiting for a game. The club heavy, who is 8d on Tygem, praised my problem book because it had a problem in there that he didn't know. Reached the answer instantly, of course - but he didn't recognize the problem itself, something noteworthy enough that he was surprised about it. I guess to get really good you will wind up Knowing All the Problems.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
What's the pronunciation of Tygem, anyhow?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Gem as in gemstone, apparently. I'm not sure if there is one.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Heh. So I just finished my first game on OGS. I'd set myself as 4d because that's what I am was and immediately regretted it when I had to give two stones to a guy calling himself 2d.

But I won. By 2.5. Crazy, crazy game. I'm sure both of us had opportunities to do better in the top left.

http://online-go.com/game/514352

xopods fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 12, 2014

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
I lost pretty convincingly to that guy, so I'm going to call him 2d

http://online-go.com/game/505244

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

Heh. So I just finished my first game on OGS. I'd set myself as 4d because that's what I am was and immediately regretted it when I had to give two stones to a guy calling himself 2d.

But I won. By 2.5. Crazy, crazy game. I'm sure both of us had opportunities to do better in the top left.

http://online-go.com/game/514352

I like the shape he forced you into on move 61.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

sensual donkey punching posted:

I lost pretty convincingly to that guy, so I'm going to call him 2d

http://online-go.com/game/505244

Yeah, I felt from the game that two stones would have been about right if I was really 100% back on my game. As it is, I was lucky to squeak through against him and would probably not win 50% of the time at two stones.

Looking at your game, it sure does seem his MO is to squeeze people into small life and build a massive central moyo eh?

Kheldragar posted:

I like the shape he forced you into on move 61.

Yeah, speaking of "dictionaries," that's a standard sequence, just one that I'd forgotten about due to my hiatus from the game. Given Black's thickness below the fight should in all fairness gone badly for me, so either B47 should have been E16 or B49 should have been F17.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

How to choose A or B?
(other than "A is usual.")
AFAICT, A or B both give White the choice between living inside or pushing at d10.

Xom fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 13, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I brought it up in KGS Teaching Ladder, and the answer is that White has monkey jump in the last variation. (Also, the Black d10 variation misses that White can cut directly at d11.)

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Also someone there said that EidoGo has slightly less misinformation (misconceptions and speculation by amateur dan) than Kogo's.

Prodigious
May 6, 2007
On an epic quest to find spiky rocks to upgrade my club

quote:

Muttley (1/31/14 1:22 PM): Hi, sorry but "weedlord" isn't an appropriate username under the KGS Terms of Service- no drug references. The picture of a joint is pretty clear. Plenty of other accounts you can use- I haven't disabled this yet in case you want to access the cat text on the user info. You probably have a copy, but in case you don't you've got the chance to do so.

Account will be disabled soon!

All the best

Muttley

rip weedlord (although the account isn't disabled yet for some reason)

Saying my profile pic looks like a joint is also kinda stretching it, tbh

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

That's the most KGS thing I've ever heard.

quote:

Better give this guy time to save his cat text, dude probably spent forever typing that out

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Just rereg as beerlord.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Register as "reefer" and claim that you're an avid snorkeling/scuba diving fan.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

xopods posted:

Register as "reefer" and claim that you're an avid snorkeling/scuba diving fan.

What, he just really likes refrigerated tractor trailers.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

(as usual) Black to play.

I don't know where this is from (but probably not dan material); is there anything more interesting going on than just c2?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Prodigious posted:

rip weedlord (although the account isn't disabled yet for some reason)

Saying my profile pic looks like a joint is also kinda stretching it, tbh

rip

That was so courteous... Had you been SDK/DDK they probably would have banned every account FOREVER

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Xom posted:

(as usual) Black to play.

I don't know where this is from (but probably not dan material); is there anything more interesting going on than just c2?

I don't even know what the goal of the problem is. Is it just endgame? It doesn't seem like you can kill, since White is connected out and I don't see any way to prevent that.

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
Probably something to do with how weak the black group is?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

sensual donkey punching posted:

Probably something to do with how weak the black group is?

Oh, okay. So it's like a joseki problem, not an L&D one. H3 seems normal but maybe there's a tesuji?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Sorry about the lack of lectures, guys. My kid (one year old today!) is going through a refusing-to-sleep-in-his-crib phase. He basically just stays awake no matter what we do until we're going to bed and then will only sleep in the bed with us.

However, I just had a pretty satisfying win in my first game with my shiny new [1d] rating. To make up for the lack of lectures I decided to comment the game for you guys. There's some valuable lessons to be learned from it about exploiting aji, refusing to be pushed around, and making exchanges. I did make some mistakes, but mostly of the form that I was playing dangerously while ahead rather than taking simplifying lines that also would have led to a win, albeit a less spectacularly bloody one.

I'm actually starting to feel like I'm stronger now than I was when I quit. Probably because I'm actually enjoying the game again. I suspect frustration was holding me back before. Weirdly, my style has changed a lot, too. I used to be more of a moyo and attacking-for-profit kind of guy, and now I find myself favoring a more Korean style approach of taking solid territory in the opening and then brutally murdering something in the late middlegame.

http://eidogo.com/#T25qbuyf

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Speaking as a high kyu barely-player, that was fantastic and really interesting to read.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Speaking as a high kyu barely-player, that was fantastic and really interesting to read.

Thanks. Reviewing one's games is of course helpful on an individual level too, so until I have the ability to do live sessions in the evenings again, I may continue commenting any of my KGS games that seem particularly interesting. A lot of them are just dumb and end because of a blunder or degenerate into a crazy fight right off the bat. I picked this one because there are a number of important strategic points to be gleaned from it (such as my sacrifices on the left, and the problems with Black's wall on the right), plus a number of pretty cool tactical sequences.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Oh, there's one thing I forgot to mention in the commentary.

At W44 I should probably first clamp at B2 as a probe. Assuming he answers at either A3 or C3, then I play D6 as in the game, happy to have forced him to make that decision first, since A3 leaves aji and C3 leaves me a big endgame move at A3.

He might resist by playing C6 instead, but then I live in the corner by capturing one stone and am okay with treating C9 lightly.

Here's what I mean: http://eidogo.com/#oHbJeP0O

xopods fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 14, 2014

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
for this game i was trying to make a point to play without thinking, just GO, you know haha. Anyway i ended up using all my time like 7 minutes before the other guy and lost terribly. Here's what happens when i play without thinking :s http://online-go.com/game/526565

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
also ive had a bit to drink which is probably the only reason im posting this horrible loss. thank you. good night.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

xopods posted:

Sorry about the lack of lectures, guys. My kid (one year old today!) is going through a refusing-to-sleep-in-his-crib phase. He basically just stays awake no matter what we do until we're going to bed and then will only sleep in the bed with us.

However, I just had a pretty satisfying win in my first game with my shiny new [1d] rating. To make up for the lack of lectures I decided to comment the game for you guys. There's some valuable lessons to be learned from it about exploiting aji, refusing to be pushed around, and making exchanges. I did make some mistakes, but mostly of the form that I was playing dangerously while ahead rather than taking simplifying lines that also would have led to a win, albeit a less spectacularly bloody one.

I'm actually starting to feel like I'm stronger now than I was when I quit. Probably because I'm actually enjoying the game again. I suspect frustration was holding me back before. Weirdly, my style has changed a lot, too. I used to be more of a moyo and attacking-for-profit kind of guy, and now I find myself favoring a more Korean style approach of taking solid territory in the opening and then brutally murdering something in the late middlegame.

http://eidogo.com/#T25qbuyf

Thanks for the great review and its inspiring to hear you're back to enjoying the game. I'm experiencing a Crisis of Enjoyment myself but the fact you feel progress even with the daily responsibilities of family life is a solid reminder that quality trumps quantity vis-à-vis improving. Woot

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

What's the best way to play on OS X? I saw the link to the server in the OP, but it requires Java, which isn't the safest thing. Hopefully there's another way?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Abel Wingnut posted:

What's the best way to play on OS X? I saw the link to the server in the OP, but it requires Java, which isn't the safest thing. Hopefully there's another way?

Besides the fact that kgs seems to be working on an html5 client, I'd say no. You could just play on ogs or Tygem instead, which aren't optimal substitutes.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006

Abel Wingnut posted:

Not if you want to play on KGS.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
virtual machine

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

uranus posted:

for this game i was trying to make a point to play without thinking, just GO, you know haha. Anyway i ended up using all my time like 7 minutes before the other guy and lost terribly. Here's what happens when i play without thinking :s http://online-go.com/game/526565

You seem to be losing the plot a lot. You start something in an area and then appear to forget what you were trying to accomplish and just go start something else. It may seem like high-level players tenuki at random, but it's never really at random. There are basically two reasons to tenuki:

(a) the local temperature has dropped because you're reached a relatively stable position, so it's now more profitable to play elsewhere, or

(b) it's not currently clear what local continuation will prove to be strategically best, so you turn elsewhere for the time being to see how the rest of the board develops before returning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

xopods posted:

You seem to be losing the plot a lot. You start something in an area and then appear to forget what you were trying to accomplish and just go start something else. It may seem like high-level players tenuki at random, but it's never really at random. There are basically two reasons to tenuki:

(a) the local temperature has dropped because you're reached a relatively stable position, so it's now more profitable to play elsewhere, or

(b) it's not currently clear what local continuation will prove to be strategically best, so you turn elsewhere for the time being to see how the rest of the board develops before returning.

(c) Pander has no idea what he's doing and just plays a stone elsewhere just cause.