Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

I don't think that's a very controversial opinion. Live at Leeds is pretty darn good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

BigFactory posted:

I don't think that's a very controversial opinion. Live at Leeds is pretty darn good.

He's not wrong.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
At Fillmore East?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Those bands are bad ergo ceterit parebius their live records are also bad.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Live records are a dumb idea for dumb people anyway so who cares :shrug:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Jerry Cotton posted:

records are a dumb idea for dumb people anyway so who cares :shrug:

This, pretty much.

Headed out to my local Sears department store today because I have some errands nearby and I'm stupidly curious about the availability of records in their stores.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cloks posted:

This, pretty much.

Headed out to my local Sears department store today because I have some errands nearby and I'm stupidly curious about the availability of records in their stores.

Unless it's an enormo sears you're going to be disappointed.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

BigFactory posted:

Unless it's an enormo sears you're going to be disappointed.

It is, it's the anchor store for a mall. I'll edit in what I find later.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Eh I guess not all live albums are terrible after all. I'm listening through the big pile of flea market records that's been sitting in my living room for like six months and it took the first round of applause for me to realize this Дейв Брубек в Москве is a live recording. (Yeah I guess the title should've made it obvious.)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Most of the live records I've bought have been major disappointments. I'm trying to think of some that don't completely suck and this is the only one that comes to mind now:

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The Name of This Band is Talking Heads is really good, especially the second disc. But I agree. Most live albums are just money grabs where you can listen to the band sound like they do on record, just a little sloppier with worse mixing and more reverb, and audience noise.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Disc 3 of the aforementioned How The West Was Won. gently caress you concertgoers, Led Zeppelin came to jam at the height of their powers.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
OK I really don't want to debate about the best live record in any genre ever, but I do just want to say that it's absurd to say that live records as a rule range from suck to mediocre. They're absolutely essential to, say, jazz, and there's plenty of artists whose best record is a live one. Thank

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Cemetry Gator posted:

The Name of This Band is Talking Heads is really good, especially the second disc. But I agree. Most live albums are just money grabs where you can listen to the band sound like they do on record, just a little sloppier with worse mixing and more reverb, and audience noise.

Mentioning a Talking Heads live album but not Stop Making Sense?

Stop Making Sense is the best. I've said it a million times before, at least once in this thread, but they really need to reissue it with ALL of the tracks on vinyl.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Johnny Cash At San Quentin?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I do know what the worst live album I have is, it's this piece of poo poo:

I was young and dumb in my defense, and had liked them on the split they did with The Last Resort.

Funny thing is, the thing seems to sell fairly well so I'll have to unload it soon. Oi records in general go up a lot in value in my experience.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Most live albums are just money grabs where you can listen to the band sound like they do on record, just a little sloppier with worse mixing and more reverb, and audience noise.

This is exactly the opposite of Live at Leeds.

3dou
Jun 17, 2013

The best kind of sex is VHS.
Are we talking about bad live albums now?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The first vinyl album I ever bought was Cheap Trick, Live at Budokan. It's alright.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
First record I bought was the Top Gun soundtrack, which beats all live albums ever :c00lbert:

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

Joyce Manor S/T

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ras Het posted:

OK I really don't want to debate about the best live record in any genre ever, but I do just want to say that it's absurd to say that live records as a rule range from suck to mediocre. They're absolutely essential to, say, jazz, and there's plenty of artists whose best record is a live one. Thank

Seriously. I guess Pearl Jam's to blame for trying to monetize every single thing they ever put on tape, but most live albums at least used to have a purpose.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
MC5's debut record would like a word with you all.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
If you're a Blink182 fan, Hot Topic is doing a limited edition splatter repressing of all of their records, including hard to find oop enema of the state and dude ranch. Right now you can order the live record (mark tom and Travis show) and then grab the other records once a month. Tentative release schedule here:

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/95358-blink-182-splatter-vinyl-series-hot-topic-exclusive-update-posted-35/

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I think I'd seriously question my friendship with someone who was excited for rare Blink 182 lp reissues.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

Well I appreciate it.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Some people like pop-punk. Some people

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like pop punk.

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

Mark tom and travis show was the CD that got me into contemporary music when I was a kid, for better or for worse.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I swear Blink albums seem to get repressed every single year. I think they're only hard to find because the same people buy every pressing. More like poop punk.

Cult Leader (Gaza with their bass player moved to vocals and a new guy on bass) EP is up for preorder over at Deathwish. The 2 Gaza LPs are 25% off if you buy the Cult Leader EP. None of them are live albums, but they're heavy as gently caress.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I'd pick up Take Off Your Pants and Jacket if it were reasonably priced.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

beergod posted:

MC5's debut record would like a word with you all.

Thank you. This exactly what I was going to post.

Also Lou Reed Rock n Roll Animal.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I dunno. Obviously there's good and bad live albums, but I end up wondering how different from the studio editions a live cut needs to be to be of interest (natch, this is basically a pop- and rock-only phenomenon; like ras said, when you get into jazz, the game changes completely.)

Also, I can way more easily tolerate a live record that's closer to the studio version (Muse comes to mind here) if I've got a live DVD or VHS tape to watch of it. But, like, I dunno. I'm easily amused by visual stimuli.

That said, Stop Making Sense is good on wax, but better on film. TNOTBITH absolutely crushes SMS without the visuals or the camera work.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Meh, Blink 182 brings back a lot of great memories of high school for me. I'm pretty stoked to get the represses.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

beergod posted:

Meh, Blink 182 brings back a lot of great memories of high school for me. I'm pretty stoked to get the represses.

They were my favorite band for a long time. They need to repress the old singles, though. Short Bus is going for $475 on Discogs.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the Mark, Tom and Travis show was one of the first albums to get me interested in music for better or worse.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This isn't quite a live album, but I have a copy of Black Sabbath Riot by Khan, a techno producer, and it's pretty cool if only because one side is the full recording of a riot that broke out at a Black Sabbath concert in 1980. The other side is electronic music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlwGpaRm44Y

(not my picture)

Double edit-
I pretty much hate pop punk, but this song is close I think- "Not Listening" by Snuff. I mention it because I like it a lot and when I was adding my vinyl to Discogs I noticed it sells for a few bucks so it's a good pick up imo. I never heard anything else about them after this, their first 7", but I see they stuck around and record for Fat Wreck Chords which pretty much means I'd hate their music so I'm just sticking with this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlj7jXx9jR0

Snowy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 16, 2014

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Are they going to press the 36 bonus tracks of them saying stupid poo poo on stage including "I'm Satan, Suck a Dog's Dick" or whatever I thought was hilarious at 13?

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

You already know the answer that question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Me in Reverse posted:

Are they going to press the 36 bonus tracks of them saying stupid poo poo on stage including "I'm Satan, Suck a Dog's Dick" or whatever I thought was hilarious at 13?

That'll be the entirety of side D.