Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

Somehow I doubt Chuck Berry fans are gonna be extolling Tool.
You're right, Tool fans mostly are into Bo Diddley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yoshifan823 posted:

Nirvana is overrated, grunge is lame, and the nineties are easily the worst decade for music.

As someone that grew up in the 90s all I remember are a whirlwind of Hootie and the Blowfish, Eagle-Eye Cherry, and Third Eye Blind. And the Space Jam soundtrack. It really was a dreadful decade.

e: remember when every band had a DJ for no reason?

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 15, 2014

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Hootie's probably just happy you remember him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Joramun posted:

So really you hate yourself for being unable to just click Close Tab.

Little bit, yeah.

I know I ask myself every week why I don't just hit that red x next to The Walking Dead thread and never look back. I must hate myself at least a little. That's the only logical explanation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hcreight posted:

Hootie's probably just happy you remember him.

Uh, excuse me, his name is Darius Rucker. Not "Hootie." :crossarms:

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Hootie's got himself a career singing country music now.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

So i watched Believe and it's total trash in every way. Like in a lot of ways.

Also some tv person read this and make a premium cable show about the wright brothers with fake drama a la amadeus.

I think that would be a good show.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
The 90s were the worst decade for music?

36 Chambers, Illmatic, Dr. Octagonecologyst, 6 Feet Deep, Ready to Die, Liquid Swords, Doggystyle, Entroducing, Fear of a Black Planet, De La Soul is Dead, Black Star, etc.. etc.. The 90s was loving incredible for rap. Same goes with rock, you had so many great mainstream records like Ok Computer, Grace, Siamese Dream etc.. and you had the indie scene producing stuff like Bee Thousands, Crooked Rain Crooked Rain, In The Aeroplane Over the Sea, If You're Feeling Sinister, and so on.

There was a lot of poo poo, but no worse than 2000-2009, or how this decade is shaping up. Also gently caress I feel old

Talking about music: what's the best cameo/short role from band or singer in a tv show?

For me it'd probably be Josh Groban as Josh Groban on Always Sunny/The Crazy Ones/Glee. He's really hilarious.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Twee as gently caress posted:

The 90s were the worst decade for music?

36 Chambers, Illmatic, Dr. Octagonecologyst, 6 Feet Deep, Ready to Die, Liquid Swords, Doggystyle, Entroducing, Fear of a Black Planet, De La Soul is Dead, Black Star, etc.. etc.. The 90s was loving incredible for rap. Same goes with rock, you had so many great mainstream records like Ok Computer, Grace, Siamese Dream etc.. and you had the indie scene producing stuff like Bee Thousands, Crooked Rain Crooked Rain, In The Aeroplane Over the Sea, If You're Feeling Sinister, and so on.

There was a lot of poo poo, but no worse than 2000-2009, or how this decade is shaping up. Also gently caress I feel old

Talking about music: what's the best cameo/short role from band or singer in a tv show?

For me it'd probably be Josh Groban as Josh Groban on Always Sunny/The Crazy Ones/Glee. He's really hilarious.

You can make giant lists of albums for any decade, doesn't make it any less the worst. Both indie and rap had much better 2000-2009 than 1990-1999. Mainstream rock took a giant dump, but pretty much everything else got much better.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yoshifan823 posted:

You can make giant lists of albums for any decade, doesn't make it any less the worst. Both indie and rap had much better 2000-2009 than 1990-1999. Mainstream rock took a giant dump, but pretty much everything else got much better.
Isn't your favorite band the Killers?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Why did I read the Parks and Rec thread?!?!

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

Isn't your favorite band the Killers?

No, but Sam's Town is my favorite album. One good album doesn't mean much. There were a few good bands putting out good mainstream rock records, but by and large it was pretty eh. Though now that I'm thinking about it, there was that good run early on in the 2000s with The Strokes, White Stripes and their ilk. That's way better than grunge. It kinda died out in the second half of the decade though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FactsAreUseless posted:

The above post is hilarious if you assume it's talking about any classic rock artist. Insert the Beatles, or the Rolling Stones, or Elvis, or Chuck Berry, or whoever, and it reads exactly the same.

:thejoke:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't think it was a joke, though. I think it was a serious post.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fooz posted:

Why did I read the Parks and Rec thread?!?!

Why are you posting this in NMD? :confused:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

It's pretty much a given that the 90s was by far the peak of hip-hop/RnB, rap music etc. How would you even argue that the 2000s were better for rap music? The 90s were the Micheal Jordan of rap music.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wandle Cax posted:

It's pretty much a given that the 90s was by far the peak of hip-hop/RnB, rap music etc. How would you even argue that the 2000s were better for rap music? The 90s were the Micheal Jordan of rap music.

You might have more stone cold classics, but as far as overall, with the way the indie rap scene has developed, all sorts of awesome people are getting noticed and getting chances they never would have gotten back in the nineties. Guys like Danny Brown or Chance the Rapper or anyone from Odd Future would never have had careers back then. So far this year we've had a great album practically every other week.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Wandle Cax posted:

I'm sorry, but the music from when I was a teenager to my early twenties is the best music that was every made. All the music from when someone else was in their teens to early twenties is objectively worse.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yoshifan823 posted:

No, but Sam's Town is my favorite album. One good album doesn't mean much. There were a few good bands putting out good mainstream rock records, but by and large it was pretty eh. Though now that I'm thinking about it, there was that good run early on in the 2000s with The Strokes, White Stripes and their ilk. That's way better than grunge. It kinda died out in the second half of the decade though.

Sam's Town is awful.

Hot Fuss, on the other hand, is amazing.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ChickenMedium posted:

I'm sorry, but the music from when I was a teenager to my early twenties is the best music that was every made. All the music from when someone else was in their teens to early twenties is objectively worse.

Yeah I saw that onion article too.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
People have been making that joke since before The Onion got to it.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

hope and vaseline posted:

Hah, that's why I love the Hannibal thread. People are just kind of morbidly impressed with the cinematography and how delicious all the meals prepared look. It's... it's only got leg in it right? I'd... I'd try that...

You spoke too soon! The forum cancer has metastasized. :(

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's true, the Hannibal thread has now descended into full theorycrafting mode.

There is no escape.

(I don't actually think it's all that bad a kind of discussion, but then I didn't watch True Detective or read the thread so maybe that was worse.)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Regy you are TVIV given flesh, as my superpoll empirically proved. Like bown before you it is not only your right but your duty to watch true detective and assimilate more.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I watched the first two episodes and didn't care for it. I've got it all recorded though so maybe I'll give it a shot if I'm sick and have nothing else to do sometime.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The thing about Hannibal is that unusually for the show, there's ambiguity as to what exactly is going on, whereas the show usually prefers to pull back the curtain. This has led to the accusation of a character of deeds that are both totally out of character and very likely physically impossible for them for the flimsiest of reasons.

e: I guess what I'm getting at is that the show has stifled pointless theories for so long that the second the opportunity for one arises people jump on it with full force.

Arist fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 16, 2014

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Irish Joe posted:

I've never heard of the Von Bondies but gently caress you for comparing them to Nirvana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFGo5cqcxP4

The 90's were the greatest time period for KidzBops. If you don't like kidzbops, why are you in this thread? :colbert:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Kidzbop you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAQKdgFZCGs

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ravane posted:

The 90's were the greatest time period for KidzBops. If you don't like kidzbops, why are you in this thread? :colbert:

Maybe I'm getting old, but I don't see the point of releasing a Kidz Bop versions of songs that are already performed by kids. Nor do I understand why people buy Glee versions of songs when they are not only objectively worse than the originals, but autotuned to the point where the singers are indistinguishable in the recordings.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Irish Joe posted:

Maybe I'm getting old, but I don't see the point of releasing a Kidz Bop versions of songs that are already performed by kids. Nor do I understand why people buy Glee versions of songs when they are not only objectively worse than the originals, but autotuned to the point where the singers are indistinguishable in the recordings.

A friend of mine once dated Carly Ray Jepson, apparently she's a total bitch.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She was also 27 when that song came out, which is like a senior citizen for pop.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

"No Music Discussion" is a joke forum title guys. You can actually talk about music in there! Just a heads up.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Deadpool posted:

"No Music Discussion" is a joke forum title guys. You can actually talk about music in there! Just a heads up.

Remember when you said this thread could always get worse like 2 days ago? Seems like some people said challenge accepted.

Now let me tell you about underground mid-90s Khazakstan rap and how it is the best music ever and all other music sucks and how horrible Nirvana is compared to whale vocalizations recorded on a Talkboy left lying on an iceberg off the coast of McMurdo Station, but only when it was first started in the 60s, after that it was all sellouts.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

IRQ posted:

Remember when you said this thread could always get worse like 2 days ago? Seems like some people said challenge accepted.

Now let me tell you about underground mid-90s Khazakstan rap and how it is the best music ever and all other music sucks and how horrible Nirvana is compared to whale vocalizations recorded on a Talkboy left lying on an iceberg off the coast of McMurdo Station, but only when it was first started in the 60s, after that it was all sellouts.

You'll hype McMurdo's but not St.Bartholomew's?

Typical :jerkbag:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Deadpool posted:

It's a forum in dire need of more diverse posters, too. Very little gets discussed aside from rap, metal and the Flaming Lips. Those are all good things, but you know, other music exists.

fake edit: the post-rock and shoegaze threads actually are pretty active and good too.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Do you guys think kids these days even know what eating shorts is about? Or what ay carumba means? They probably all have cows and don't know what to do about it. I don't think Bart has actually said any of those things in like 20 years, how will this generation know Simpsons pop culture.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 16, 2014

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy6FpoWhEO0

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Hey, I'm looking for something like Breaking Bad or Walking Dead, something with that dark, hopeless feel, any suggestions?

E:VV :thurman: drat son!

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 16, 2014

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Austrian mook posted:

Hey, I'm looking for something like Breaking Bad or Walking Dead, something with that dark, hopeless feel, any suggestions?

The last few pages of this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Austrian mook posted:

E:VV :thurman: drat son!

Six Feet Under or Sopranos? Supernatural tends to get pretty hopeless most of the time and even when they win they tend to lose. You know Spartacus is pretty hosed just by the show title. Battlestar Gallactica goes towards the soul crushing a lot. Carnivale is about the rise of evil forces around a traveling freak show during the Dust Bowl. The US Being Human seemed designed to reap as much poo poo imaginable on it so main characters.

• Locked thread