Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Powershift posted:

BMWs naming has been hosed for years. they split the 4 series off to be the 'coupe' of the 3 series, and now they're making a 4 door 4 series.

Hell, they already did that a few years back with the 6 Series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No but you see, coupé refers to the body shape, not the number of doors :spergin:

Ugh, I guess if having a billion models doesn't cost much and gives people choice than they can knock themselves out. But it seems like we're getting to the point where the brand would start to get diluted. So you have a BMW now? A 2-series? Is that the badass coupe or a lovely FWD van?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

HotCanadianChick posted:

I sat in an M235i at an auto show here recently, it's about the same size or slightly bigger than my E46, and the interior felt kinda chintzy. There's better cars for the money. Also keep in mind the cheap 228i doesn't include the sport or m-sport packages, and by the time you get a few options on it (like anything other than plain white or black paint), it's a $40,000 car. You'd be paying $5000 more than your BRZ for a car with less features than your base BRZ has (other than the more powerful engine) - stripper base model BMWs are notoriously stingy with any kind of goodies, in an attempt to upsell you on the (hugely expensive) option packages and higher trims.

I know all the M crap is expensive, but hopefully the car is good enough without it. Also my BRZ has a horribly out dated nav, horrible stereo, horrible "infotainment" all around, it doesnt have any goodies.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Stealth Like posted:

Yes, I have (and own an e92 335i). There have been plenty of complaints about how they don't drive like true BMWs and other such nonsense. I'm sure the F30 will be accepted as a BMW purist car in 30 years when they're all electric or something.
While I really don't like E36s, it's specifically E36s. I think E46s and E90s are fine cars, and they're certainly better all-round cars than what has come before. They may not feel as chuckable, but they're bigger, more comfortable cars now. I'd say the successor to the E30 325i is probably more the M135i than anything with a 3 or 4 at the start of its badge.

Linedance posted:

A few weeks ago I had to spend a week doing a 100 mile each way commute, mostly motorway, in a rental A-class. Self driving cars can't come soon enough.
Take the A and B roads instead of the motorway, and set a stopwatch going when you set off. Kill-me-now boring is turned into a fun challenge.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mobby_6kl posted:

No but you see, coupé refers to the body shape, not the number of doors :spergin:

ISO 3833-1977 posted:

The International Standard ISO 3833-1977 defines a coupé as having a closed body, usually with limited rear volume, a fixed roof of which a portion may be openable, at least two seats in at least one row, two side doors and possibly a rear opening, and at least two side windows.

Mercedes-Benz can gently caress right off. The CLS is, at the most generous, a hardtop sedan.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ahaha there's an actual ISO standard defining this :) Anyway that's certainly not my opinion, but it is what's constantly parroted by the apologists whenever another bastardized abomination to fill in some imaginary niche is introduced.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Now I'm curious about the cars with unlimited rear volume.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InitialDave posted:

While I really don't like E36s, it's specifically E36s. I think E46s and E90s are fine cars, and they're certainly better all-round cars than what has come before. They may not feel as chuckable, but they're bigger, more comfortable cars now. I'd say the successor to the E30 325i is probably more the M135i than anything with a 3 or 4 at the start of its badge.

Take the A and B roads instead of the motorway, and set a stopwatch going when you set off. Kill-me-now boring is turned into a fun challenge.

I did once I got into Gloucestershire. But the M4/A419 from London to Cheltenham via Swindon during the rainiest winter ever at 6am, when all the fun A and B roads are probably underwater... autopilot please. At least the A-Class has excellent cruise control for being non-adaptive.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I'm fairly certain there's only one reason that BMW split cars like the 3/5 series in to the 4/6 series, and it isn't to differentiate 4 door cars from 2 doors. It's so they can charge more money for a higher number :ssh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Stealth Like posted:

I'm fairly certain there's only one reason that BMW split cars like the 3/5 series in to the 4/6 series, and it isn't to differentiate 4 door cars from 2 doors. It's so they can charge more money for a higher number :ssh:

They were shamelessly charging more for the coupe before. It's probably just so coupe owners can look down on lowly sedan owners.

I sat in a 235i at the auto show and it was quite comfortable. The aluminum trim was real aluminum, unfortunately the plastic trim was real plastic.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

They were shamelessly charging more for the coupe before. It's probably just so coupe owners can look down on lowly sedan owners.
Four doors for more, er, poors?

quote:

I sat in a 235i at the auto show and it was quite comfortable. The aluminum trim was real aluminum, unfortunately the plastic trim was real plastic.
The review I read in EVO said that the US market interiors feel cheaper than the Euro ones, not sure how true that is.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Coming soon, the new BMW Pi-series crossover coupé MPV convertible!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Coming soon, the new BMW Pi-series crossover coupé MPV convertible!

they've already copied the rondo, why not copy the murano cross cabriolet

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

they've already copied the rondo, why not copy the murano cross cabriolet

X6M GranCoupe Cabriolet!

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Stealth Like posted:

How dare you enjoy your car that is both faster and more comfortable than previous generations of said car. I can't wait to hear 10 years from now people pining for the halcyon days of F30s and how the new ones are poo poo. I remember around the time I joined people would go on and on about how terrible e36s were and how the e30 was the only true 3 series anyone should ever buy. Pretty hilarious.

It's never going to stop being funny showing people their posts from 5 or 10 years ago (my own posts on various forums included), but BMW (well, all brands really) forums are especially gold for this. I've seen the sentences "if you just know how to build an engine right you don't need a turbo" and "forced induction is a crutch for manufacturers that are too lovely get it right otherwise" used unironically on the swedish BMW club forums soo many times, and from a lot of different posters. And then came the N54. (The M102/M106 is NEVER spoken of.)

I'm sorry, I can't stop myself from throwing it in their faces now!

Edit: Oh, and I'll have you know that two years ago, Mr Clarkson said of the E90 M3 "This is the best car, and always will be, and there's no point in ever thinking otherwise". :colbert:

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 16, 2014

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

fknlo posted:

X6M GranCoupe Cabriolet!

X6M GranCoup Cabriolet! xDrive420i for Windows

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

The Minneapolis Auto Show is going on this week (ends tomorrow), so I stopped by a couple times to take in the sights. Aside from the usual cars, the highlights were:

• Audi RS7 in estoril blue
• The new A3 sedan (which is sharp),
• the new Corvette in hardtop and convertible. The latter was pretty much being ignored, didn't help that it was white.
• the new GMC Canyon, which is larger than I expected it to be; no new Chevy Colorado, unfortunately.
• 2015 Tahoe and Suburban, both of which are huge.
• 2015 Mustang in silver with black wheels

I also got a chance to look inside the new Jeep Cherokee to see if I could figure out why it's been selling so well up here. The interior is really nice. I mean, a lot nicer than I expected. They also had the Jeep Experience where you could ride in a Wrangler, Cherokee or Grand Cherokee around a little circuit with a 35º ascent/descent and some other obstacles. I did it twice hoping to get a ride in the Cherokee, but ended up in a Wrangler and then in a GC. Anyway, I came away impressed by the Cherokee up close. Its looks aren't as horrible in person, and its interior is pretty nice. I'm still not buying one, but now at least I understand why it's doing well.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DropShadow posted:

The Minneapolis Auto Show is going on this week (ends tomorrow), so I stopped by a couple times to take in the sights. Aside from the usual cars, the highlights were:

• 2015 Mustang in silver with black wheels

Damnit! I heard there's only two being used for promotion, and the one that was supposed to come to the Calgary auto show (also this week) was damaged by idiots in Toronto somehow. Joke's on them, I didn't end up going once I heard there was no Mustang.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PT6A posted:

Damnit! I heard there's only two being used for promotion, and the one that was supposed to come to the Calgary auto show (also this week) was damaged by idiots in Toronto somehow. Joke's on them, I didn't end up going once I heard there was no Mustang.

There was nothing worth seeing anyways. The 2015 f-150 was roped off, and apart from that there was nothing you couldn't see on a dealers lot right now besides maybe the wrx/sti which will be out this month, and the 2015 GTI.

Nobody on the floor knew a god drat thing about any of the vehicles. half of the cars didn't have power systems energized, so electric seats was stuck in the "short motherfucker" seat position.

Noticably missing vehicles:

2015 navigator
bmw 5 series
bmw 2 series active tourer
chevy canyon/gmc colorado (not showing off the new pickup in Alberta of all places. :psyduck: )
ATS coupe

and that's just off the top of my head.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

BMW chat; the E46 coupe is probably the last BMW I really loved. It has a very timeless look in my opinion.

I do think that new Gran Coupe 4-series is pretty nice looking though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SouthLAnd posted:

BMW chat; the E46 coupe is probably the last BMW I really loved. It has a very timeless look in my opinion.

The 6 series gran coupe is probably the only modern BMW that floors me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

There was nothing worth seeing anyways. The 2015 f-150 was roped off, and apart from that there was nothing you couldn't see on a dealers lot right now besides maybe the wrx/sti which will be out this month, and the 2015 GTI.

Nobody on the floor knew a god drat thing about any of the vehicles. half of the cars didn't have power systems energized, so electric seats was stuck in the "short motherfucker" seat position.

2015 navigator
bmw 5 series
chevy canyon/gmc colorado (not showing off the new pickup in Alberta of all places. :psyduck: )
ATS coupe

and that's just off the top of my head.

Yeah, the car show really sucked last year too. Was it always this bad, or did it take a massive dive? Two or three years ago I remember it not being quite as horrible.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PT6A posted:

Yeah, the car show really sucked last year too. Was it always this bad, or did it take a massive dive? Two or three years ago I remember it not being quite as horrible.

Last year i went to the show in edmonton, was given full access to every porsche on the floor, sat in a pre-production silverado, and hooned the gently caress out of a dodge dort in the parking lot.

This year in calgary it seemed like the only purpose was to sell last year's models that are piling up on dealers lots, and signing you up for the company spamlist by offering you a 1/50000 chance of winning a $500 gas card. I would say it has absolutely gone downhill.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Powershift posted:

2015 navigator
bmw 5 series
ATS coupe

andithat's just off the top of my head.

There's already a new 5er? or a facelift? The new M5 just came out i thought.

Surely the FWD 2 series van is not going to North America, not even BMW I
is that stupid? Then again I thought the same thing when they revealed the X6 and yet here we are.

EDIT You know most Canadians live in Ontario and Quebec and only buy Mitsubishi Mirages right? I bet you vote in federal elections too. :v:

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 16, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

There's already a new 5er? or a facelift? The new M5 just came out i thought.

Surely the FWD 2 series van is not going to North America, not even BMW I
is that stupid? Then again I thought the same thing when they revealed the X6 and yet here we are.

I mean the F10. They had the M6 gran coupe(locked unless you flash your BMW key :smuggo: ) and m6 there, but no 5 series at all.

The FWD 2 series hatchvan is indeed coming to north america, and i guarantee you will see them absolutely everywhere because it will be a cheap way into The Badge

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Powershift posted:

This year in calgary it seemed like the only purpose was to sell last year's models that are piling up on dealers lots, and signing you up for the company spamlist by offering you a 1/50000 chance of winning a $500 gas card. I would say it has absolutely gone downhill.

It always pisses me off that Nissan will treat their GT-R like it's a loving Picasso painting, and yet I can just go sit in Mercedes and Jaguars that are worth more. The only car I really wanted to see was the new Corvette, and I can just walk over to GSL and do that any day of the week anyway (for free!).

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
It's pretty early days, but the head of R&D at Volvo:

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2014/medium-passenger/volvo/s60/volvo-considers-road-legal-v8-supercar-42181

quote:

When asked if more race track success could lead to the development of a V8 Supercars-inspired road car to rival the likes of the BMW M5 and Infiniti's upcoming GT-R-powered Q50 Eau Rouge, Mertens didn't mince his words.

"Yes. Wait and see," he stated.

So hopefully if their Chinese owners are dumb enough to pour more money down the rathole we will see a V8 RWd Volvo sedan and wagon.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

The 2015 f-150 was roped off

And ugly as poo poo. I wasn't sure what to think with just pictures, but in the flesh it didn't look good at all.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Throatwarbler posted:

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2014/medium-passenger/volvo/s60/volvo-considers-road-legal-v8-supercar-42181

So hopefully if their Chinese owners are dumb enough to pour more money down the rathole we will see a V8 RWd Volvo sedan and wagon.

Dear Volvo: please put the V8 into your Estate concept and release it with a 6 speed, tyia.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SouthLAnd posted:

The E46 M3 coupe, with its additional ground effects and lip spoiler, to me is the most attractive car ever produced. Especially in this slate blue color it came in, I don't know the exact name of the paint.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Atlantic Blue...or wait was that Atlantis?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

It always pisses me off that Nissan will treat their GT-R like it's a loving Picasso painting, and yet I can just go sit in Mercedes and Jaguars that are worth more. The only car I really wanted to see was the new Corvette, and I can just walk over to GSL and do that any day of the week anyway (for free!).

The GTR was open this year, first time I can remember that happening

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Mazda's 2.2 turbo diesel is still delayed, apparently to get the tune right.

The Euro-spec makes 148 hp and 280 lb-ft.

A Sport version makes 173 hp and 310 lb ft. :cmon:

(For context, the new CLA45 AMG makes 331 from a blown 2.0 litre)

Needless to say, I want one quite badly.

a primate fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 17, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Throatwarbler posted:

I would sell both my kidneys to Chinese business men if I could have such a thing. Or pledge allegiance to Mao, whichever is the least painful option.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I have a new Impala LT as a rental this week. It's quite nice, great interior, comfortable and quiet. The perfect car to eat up miles in central Illinois. I definitely like it better than the Taurus and the Charger. Not sure I like it better than the 300.

GM's multimedia/connected car interface is so much better than MFT it's laughable.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

GM's multimedia/connected car interface is so much better than MFT it's laughable.

Just to be clear you only get that system on Chevys and Buicks. The button-less CUE system in Cadillacs is hot on Ford's trail. :v:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cadillac-cue-entertainment-ix-ux,20143.html

quote:

CUE appears to still have hardware and software issues. The technology is driven by a 3-core ARM processor, two of which are reserved for voice recognition. The remaining core is not nearly as powerful enough as would be required by a user experience that would resemble the usage of an iPad. Pressing a button will result in immediate haptic, vibrating feedback, but the screen will not react without a 2- to 3-second delay. In its current version, CUE appears to be hopelessly underpowered by the underlying hardware.

The software foundation is Linux based and while the user interface is pretty, there are some bugs. Twice during our week, a bug caused to automatically increase the audio volume to its maximum level. The only resolution was to stop the car, turn it off and back on for a full restart of CUE. Thankfully, CUE can be flashed via an SD card and Cadillac may want to look into this issue.

quote:

The main screen of CUE consists of only eight items - Audio, Phone, Navigation, Settings, Pandora, Weather, Climate and OnStar. While this seems to be sufficiently simple, moving your audio output, for example, from a USB stick to a satellite radio station requires you to move to the home screen via a touch-sensitive button on the side of the dash, pressing the audio icon, then the satellite radio icon, then the browse icon, and then slide a scroll bar to the station you are looking. Moving from one radio station to another requires the driver passenger to always first move the hand toward the screen so that the proximity sensor can initiate the display of respective icons (which also happens with a delay).

This all happens, of course, most likely when you are driving and with the aforementioned reaction delays of the software. When completed, you will have removed your eyes from the road to the screen five times and you may have spent 20 to 30 seconds. In most other cars you can do the same within 5 seconds.

quote:

CUE would work much better if Cadillac was to bring back some key physical push buttons and knobs for the climate and audio controls. The reaction time of the touch interface is, at this time, unacceptable and is reminiscent of the first generation of $99 Android tablets that were equally underpowered.

Wait 5 more years and maybe they will bring back physical buttons and knobs.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Just put a drat docking station for a tablet in the dash and call it a day.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's what Apple seems to be doing with the Carplay stuff. "gently caress it you morons, now you're just going to mirror the iPhone on the dashboard."

Must be frustrating as hell to be under 60 years old and on the teams pumping out this garbage.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm sitting here wasting another hour of my life, the latest of many, trying to diagnose another bizzaro problem with my (inherited from my mother)iPhone and I dread the day that awful company find a new orfice of mine to penetrate.

But sorry about that derail, Here's some car news. Every single 991 GT3 sold so far is going back for a new engine.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/03/2014-porsche-911-gt3-engine-replacement-confirmed.html

Keep F5in summit racing for a new batch of reman GT3 engines!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Xguard86 posted:

Just put a drat docking station for a tablet in the dash and call it a day.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.honda.hondalink

Honda seems to have solved this problem. On paper at least, I've not had the chance to try it out though.