Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Sickening posted:

They paying for those certs?

Nope... I have to pay for the tests, and I lose the pay for time missed writing the exams. They used to pay for them, but with so many new people, that's a benefit they stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

blackswordca posted:

Nope... I have to pay for the tests, and I lose the pay for time missed writing the exams.

wow

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

They paying for those certs?
Are you new here?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
And then you get another meeting about you not being a team player.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

blackswordca posted:

Nope... I have to pay for the tests, and I lose the pay for time missed writing the exams.

What a douche. The vmware certs themselves are going to cost you 3k unless you get lucky with a local community college. The microsoft ones close to a grand for the tests.

Not only would the promotion still not happen, I would bet the pay wouldn't even reimburse you after the first year.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

blackswordca posted:

"The way we're growing, in a year or so we will be the next Earthlink MSP"

"If you get your MCSE-SA and your VMware certs, one day you may be able to get out of the Jr position"

"We've hired 10 new phone techs, we're just waiting for them to graduate collage."

I want to say thank you, but that seems like it would betray a flippant disregard to how insane the place you work is. I especially love that last one.

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

SolTerrasa posted:

On the other end of the spectrum... "only"??? Where are you guys? Nowhere, Idaho? Seattle's got two or three 1Gbps providers, and none of them charge much over a tenth of that ($120/mo), whether you're a business or just some dude who really loves the internet.

I've got a 30Mb link in Edmonton Alberta for $2400/mo, but that's with multiple static IPs and an SLA in place. Our Calgary office has a 15Mb link for about $1k with similar SLA, despite being downtown in one of the most business-dense cities in Canada.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Jadus posted:

I've got a 30Mb link in Edmonton Alberta for $2400/mo, but that's with multiple static IPs and an SLA in place. Our Calgary office has a 15Mb link for about $1k with similar SLA, despite being downtown in one of the most business-dense cities in Canada.

Man, that's nuts. For curiosity's sake I fired off an email to sales for the most well-known provider and asked for their pricing on that. I wonder what they'll say. Maybe they don't offer that at all?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
It's not quite :yotj: because I'm staying with the same company, but the prez wants me to transition to Helldesk Manager from my current consultant position. He wants me to take over as "team lead" during the transition period, and they've drawn up a new letter of offer/contract - but only for the team lead position. Actual factual management comes later, apparently.

I'm having someone who knows Canadian contract law take a look at the new employment contract, and then I'm gonna go negotiate my salary, and also ask for some additional vacation time.

Wish me luck, guys!

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

A ticket went out. Our imaging server was recently "upgraded". A brand spanking new image was put out. Its got the latest version of all standard software, patches, and lets us select between 32bit Win7 (some of our ancient apps wont run on x64) and the 64 bit version without needing to keep multiple images up to date. Great idea, except it doesn't work. The login always throws back a bad password or invalid network path error. Argh.

I'm in the middle of putting out fires for our Win7 deployment so I don't have time to mess with it Tuesday. I assumed maybe I was doing it wrong, it was an entirely new system and not part of our older IBM deployment process. Wednesday comes around. I go through all the documentation and no, I'm not doing it wrong. Its broken. I alert our team lead. He says he'll check it, disappears off messenger, and I don't hear back till Thursday.

Im starting to get nervous at this point because I still had 12 more PCs at the time and I have 3 more that need a reimage due to errors during the Win7 deploy. On-site management for our client is starting to get annoyed that we arent taking care of this. I put in a ticket, detail how its not working, and get a response from the guy who manages these servers. He says he'll check it. He disappears off messenger and I don't hear anything till Friday (today).

The ticket is closed, saying the server is working and I'll need to make a new boot disk. Cool. I make a new one, try it out, still broken. The guy who "fixed" it is offline so I call up team lead. He says its working, that hes using it, yay. I try again. Nothing. Team lead goes offline, stops answering his phone. gently caress. I try the old image. Doesnt work so I check the path. Its been deleted from our server as well as those at the other sites. I look for the backup. These servers aren't backed up.

:cripes:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

A ticket went out. Our imaging server was recently "upgraded". A brand spanking new image was put out. Its got the latest version of all standard software, patches, and lets us select between 32bit Win7 (some of our ancient apps wont run on x64) and the 64 bit version without needing to keep multiple images up to date. Great idea, except it doesn't work. The login always throws back a bad password or invalid network path error. Argh.

I'm in the middle of putting out fires for our Win7 deployment so I don't have time to mess with it Tuesday. I assumed maybe I was doing it wrong, it was an entirely new system and not part of our older IBM deployment process. Wednesday comes around. I go through all the documentation and no, I'm not doing it wrong. Its broken. I alert our team lead. He says he'll check it, disappears off messenger, and I don't hear back till Thursday.

Im starting to get nervous at this point because I still had 12 more PCs at the time and I have 3 more that need a reimage due to errors during the Win7 deploy. On-site management for our client is starting to get annoyed that we arent taking care of this. I put in a ticket, detail how its not working, and get a response from the guy who manages these servers. He says he'll check it. He disappears off messenger and I don't hear anything till Friday (today).

The ticket is closed, saying the server is working and I'll need to make a new boot disk. Cool. I make a new one, try it out, still broken. The guy who "fixed" it is offline so I call up team lead. He says its working, that hes using it, yay. I try again. Nothing. Team lead goes offline, stops answering his phone. gently caress. I try the old image. Doesnt work so I check the path. Its been deleted from our server as well as those at the other sites. I look for the backup. These servers aren't backed up.

:cripes:

Are you able to check the permissions on the image group or the images themselves? I'm assuming you're using WDS.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

dox posted:

He updated us in IRC but I won't go and spoil all the fun... it's coming.

Last page, but is this a thread/SA IRC or just some personal one out somewhere?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pendent posted:

Are you able to check the permissions on the image group or the images themselves? I'm assuming you're using WDS.

No I can't and no we arent. "Thinkvantage System builder" or something like that.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

No I can't and no we arent. "Thinkvantage System builder" or something like that.

If your lead has broken things thoroughly enough it may not be a bad time to suggest switching to WDS over what appears to be some sort of strange Lenovo product(?). If you're on 2008r2 or higher it has some amazing driver management tools and more importantly it is incredibly simple to configure and maintain. I'm the only one at my organization that has any interest or knowledge about using images for workstation deployment and it has been an absolute lifesaver. The school district in our area uses some sort of black magic and P2P file sharing for their WDS deployments and they work terrifyingly well.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pendent posted:

If your lead has broken things thoroughly enough it may not be a bad time to suggest switching to WDS over what appears to be some sort of strange Lenovo product(?). If you're on 2008r2 or higher it has some amazing driver management tools and more importantly it is incredibly simple to configure and maintain. I'm the only one at my organization that has any interest or knowledge about using images for workstation deployment and it has been an absolute lifesaver. The school district in our area uses some sort of black magic and P2P file sharing for their WDS deployments and they work terrifyingly well.

I work for people who seem entirely incapable of admitting theyve made a bad choice. If you point the mistake out to them, they say that they have their reasons and that this is the system they're going to use. I think they just don't want to put the effort in and I don't have the clout to convince them otherwise.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I love overtime, and any chance to get some I will grab it with both hands and maybe milk the time I spend on site - though one of the agreed perks I have is that I get paid from door to door, i.e. from the second I step out of my flat I'm on the clock until I step back in through the door. Anyway, last night we had arranged a change at 8pm to do a cache battery replacement and memory replacement, and the timetable that was laid out for me claimed, not unreasonably mind you, that I would start at around 8:10pm and be done by around 8:25pm. I duly walk into the data center at 8pm, locate the server in the enclosure, slowly withdraw it from the enclosure, pop the lid and.... what can only be described as a blind panic overcame me.

The cache battery I had in my hands in no way, shape or form resembled the one which was currently in the machine. The one I had was a covered D shaped battery with a small circuit board at one end in order to connect it to the server; the one in the machine was 2 AA batteries taped up with a four point connector attaching it to the machine. After much removal of parts and chasing of cables, I deduced that the part that I had been given was in fact the wrong one. It was now 8:25pm. Still, there was a duff memory DIMM which needed replacing, surely that couldn't be that hard, no?

Well, in this server there were 16 populated DIMMs. My notes said "Replace DIMM 7". The notes on our problem/job logging application said "Replace DIMM 7". There were four DIMMs in slots marked 7. If there was a wild sense of panic before, it escalated slowly. So I did what any decent but inexperienced engineer does. I replaced the DIMM in the first slot seven, put the server back together, placed it back in its enclosure, powered it on and... nothing. I did this three more times until the machine final decided that it was going to actually boot itself up. There was no memory test either, which is worrying me, plus at one point it seemed like the server fancied rebuilding itself from one of our deployment servers. By now it was 10:00pm, so as soon as it hit the Windows login screen, I called one of the guys in Infrastructure and called it a night.

Ha, I had something similar happen with a UPS that had a bad battery. We had a client a couple months back that kept having weird power glitches, and we traced it to a bad UPS that a switch and one of their servers was connected to. I got the make/model of the UPS, took a picture of the battery inside, and got our sales rep to order a new one since it was still under warranty.

Apparently, the company that makes said UPS makes several styles of UPS that have very similar model numbers. The battery pack for the bad one was basically 2 batteries side by side, with a connection in the middle tying them together. The one that got sent to us was 4 small batteries in a weird grid connection that wouldn't even come close to fitting into the bad unit. It got sent back and after a couple days we got a new one, but drat...what idiot at this UPS manufacturer thought it was a good idea to give the same model number to like 7 different products in their lineup? :psyduck:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Ozz81 posted:

...what idiot at this UPS manufacturer thought it was a good idea to give the same model number to like 7 different products in their lineup? :psyduck:
Every few years I get the urge to start playing with video capture stuff at home, then promptly get bored any never actually get around to riping old home movies or setting up a MythTV box or anything, but this has led me to buying several video capture cards over the years. Since I'm on Linux at home I always have to do research beforehand to figure out which models will actually work with my setup, and standard procedure for all video capture card manufacturers seems to be to change the internal components of their cards/dongles every few years while keeping the same model number. If you're lucky they'll be a little tiny "Rev. C" or something similar on the packaging, but in a lot of cases the things are completely indistinguishable until you can get it out of the package and look for a manufacturing date or see the chip itself. Doing end-user phone support for those companies must be a nightmare.

I remember the wireless networking world used to be the same way, but Linux pretty much supports all wireless chipsets flawlessly now so I haven't had to pay attention. Of course this remains the reigning champion of useless model numbers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

AT&T's automated messages are worthless. They give you the status of the repair: "we're in the process of resolving the event"

Wow, thanks! Super useful information.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

myron cope posted:

AT&T's automated messages are worthless. They give you the status of the repair: "we're in the process of resolving the event"

Wow, thanks! Super useful information.

That's all you'll ever get from any major company's support line. Those messages are just to keep people from trying to get through to an actual support guy so they can keep staffing costs low. They'll never say what the issue is because that would just confuse 95% of their customer base and then people would call up to ask what the hell it means, and the 5% who actually understand the technobabble would call and demand answers about how they could let this problem happen and what's being done to make sure it never happens ever again (and the real answer of "nothing, because it would cost us more money to implement preventative measures than we lose due to outages like this" would just piss them off more). They'll also never give an ETR, because if it's wrong they'd get a flood of support calls at the provided time from angry customers demanding to know why it's not up yet and requesting refunds.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Not an IT person here, but this is pretty related.

I work in a hospital Histotechnology lab on the night shift. When we get our specimens in, we have someone take a picture of all the plastic blocks that they come in. This is so that if we can't find one of the blocks later, we can look at the picture and make sure we actually have it in our lab. Sometimes they don't send them to us but still enter into the computer system that they did send them, so it's an extra level of covering our asses.

Well, it just so happened that we were missing a block that the system says we should have and when the lab assistants went to look at the picture, they found out that the person that took the picture stood too far back from the blocks when taking it, and as such all the identifying labels were blurry and couldn't be read. This is the night shift, so there's noone around in the IT department. So they come to me with this, as the lab's resident "computer person." They want me to "figure out how to clear up" the blurry block labels in the picture so they can read them. They helpfully show me that zooming in on the labels just makes the labels look worse. They insist that I find a way to fix this. I tell them I'm pretty sure there's nothing I can do to fix it.

An hour later they come back with the night shift manager. She says it's very important that they know whether or not the block is present, and that I should work on trying to figure out how to make the picture readable. She's not mad about it or anything, she understands that this is not my job, she just wants me to try and simply does not comprehend that this particular task is (as far as I know) nigh impossible. After insisting a bunch of times that there's nothing I can do, she drops it and leaves instructions for the assistants to take the problem down to IT right at 8:00 AM and "get it cleared up ASAP, tell them they need to drop everything and do it because the doctor is going to call at 8:30 when he doesn't have his results and he is going to be pissed off if we don't have an answer for him."

I was seriously considering waiting around 2 hours after my shift just to follow them down there and see what IT's response to this particular crisis was going to be when they all went down there and dumped it on them right as they're walking in the door.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
That is the result of loving CSI and similar shows. People believe you have some kind of magical "enhance" filter you can apply.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

guppy posted:

That is the result of loving CSI and similar shows. People believe you have some kind of magical "enhance" filter you can apply.

MSPaint. :colbert:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

guppy posted:

Should have told them this.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

spankmeister posted:

Should have told them this.

Actually, since they work in a hospital, you could have even been like "hey you know how you watch House and you laugh your rear end off at how ridiculous its portrayal of hospitals and medical procedures is? OK now apply that exact model to CSI and IT technicians".

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Potato Alley posted:

Actually, since they work in a hospital, you could have even been like "hey you know how you watch House and you laugh your rear end off at how ridiculous its portrayal of hospitals and medical procedures is? OK now apply that exact model to CSI and IT technicians".

One episode of House went way over the line even for the layperson, and almost made me watch no more.

Maybe people know what I mean already?

... The one where they use a machine to literally loving see what someone is thinking. I don't even want to think about it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

HalloKitty posted:

One episode of House went way over the line even for the layperson, and almost made me watch no more.

... The one where they use a machine to literally loving see what someone is thinking. I don't even want to think about it.

Fortunately, if you do, they'll know.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

HalloKitty posted:

I dont remember seeing this, ever.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

Me neither. The closest I can think of is a paralyzed patient using a computer to communicate (which actually happens, you know?) or maybe them looking at a brain and identifying emotions, anxiety or something like recognition, which isn't all that fictional either. Then again, it's been years since I saw that show.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Taeke posted:

Me neither. The closest I can think of is a paralyzed patient using a computer to communicate (which actually happens, you know?) or maybe them looking at a brain and identifying emotions, anxiety or something like recognition, which isn't all that fictional either. Then again, it's been years since I saw that show.

Yeah the blinkibg guy was my first thought as well.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SEKCobra posted:

Season 6 Episode 16 "Black Hole"

This shot is from 31:11.

Dialogue at this moment? "Is that her dad? He died when she was 8".

Yes, they are viewing memories in a visual way. Literally able to see an image of thoughts, not just brain patterns.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 16, 2014

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

HalloKitty posted:

Season 6 Episode 16 "Black Hole"

This shot is from 31:11.

Dialogue at this moment? "Is that her dad? He died when she was 8".

Yes, they are viewing memories in a visual way. Literally able to see an image of thoughts, not just brain patterns.

Well I did see some research where they showed people images and you could see the elephant in the image they produced afterwards, somewhat.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

SEKCobra posted:

Well I did see some research where they showed people images and you could see the elephant in the image they produced afterwards, somewhat.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124581153

Still, pretty far from /that/.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004
There are people pushing fMRI as a new method of lie detection. Pretty scary really.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

KennyTheFish posted:

There are people pushing fMRI as a new method of lie detection. Pretty scary really.

Not to derail this too much, but I'd rather have an fMRI than the known-to-be-inaccurate-and-beatable polygraph, if the accuracy level is what's been so wildly promised*. If I AM a suspect in some kind of case ('Mr. Clark had filed regular complaints about his desktop printer not working and was mysteriously strangled with a keyboard cable'), and I know I'm innocent, I'd rather take a test that if it shows me telling the truth is a much stronger argument for my defense and can counter any circumstantial evidence like "Potato Alley is missing a keyboard from his own personal stash" and "Potato Alley was found feeding the decedent's desktop printer into one of those 'Will it shred?' industrial shredders".

Basically, I don't trust cops at all and I'd rather all tests and tools they used were as scientifically sound as possible. Look at how many people DNA evidence has exonerated (and I'm sure has put away too, it's definitely both sides of the coin), people who 20 years ago were basically convicted on circumstantial evidence and the willingness of the cops/judicial system to put away someone who looked like the best candidate, sometimes twisting the existing evidence and eyewitness reports to make it fit.

*that said I keep hearing that the polygraph is not as beatable as claimed, but if the choice is between 99.8% and 99.9%, I'll take the latter.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Potato Alley posted:

Not to derail this too much, but I'd rather have an fMRI than the known-to-be-inaccurate-and-beatable polygraph, if the accuracy level is what's been so wildly promised*. If I AM a suspect in some kind of case ('Mr. Clark had filed regular complaints about his desktop printer not working and was mysteriously strangled with a keyboard cable'), and I know I'm innocent, I'd rather take a test that if it shows me telling the truth is a much stronger argument for my defense and can counter any circumstantial evidence like "Potato Alley is missing a keyboard from his own personal stash" and "Potato Alley was found feeding the decedent's desktop printer into one of those 'Will it shred?' industrial shredders".

Basically, I don't trust cops at all and I'd rather all tests and tools they used were as scientifically sound as possible. Look at how many people DNA evidence has exonerated (and I'm sure has put away too, it's definitely both sides of the coin), people who 20 years ago were basically convicted on circumstantial evidence and the willingness of the cops/judicial system to put away someone who looked like the best candidate, sometimes twisting the existing evidence and eyewitness reports to make it fit.

*that said I keep hearing that the polygraph is not as beatable as claimed, but if the choice is between 99.8% and 99.9%, I'll take the latter.

Early DNA evidence was literally done by the techs eyeballing the results and saying "Yeah, that looks pretty close" then declaring them as perfect matches.

The point is, always be careful of "perfectly accurate and dispassionate" evidence.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Polygraphs are bullshit, they're not atvall about being able to tell when you're lying. It's about the interrogation techniques used by the person administering the test.
fMRI, I dunno I don't trust it enough yet to submit to one. Maybe in 20 years.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evol262 posted:

Where is this channel?

This wasn't answered yet?

#sysadmin on SynIRC

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Potato Alley posted:

The problem is that the interrogator has a lot of power deciding how the result will go. If he wants you to fail, he can do so by acting in a threatening manner and ask questions in an ambigous way. If he wants you to pass, he can be friendly and throw you a bunch of softball questions followed by a friendly break whenever he notices you getting nervous.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Xequecal posted:

Well, it just so happened that we were missing a block that the system says we should have and when the lab assistants went to look at the picture, they found out that the person that took the picture stood too far back from the blocks when taking it, and as such all the identifying labels were blurry and couldn't be read. This is the night shift, so there's noone around in the IT department. So they come to me with this, as the lab's resident "computer person." They want me to "figure out how to clear up" the blurry block labels in the picture so they can read them. They helpfully show me that zooming in on the labels just makes the labels look worse. They insist that I find a way to fix this.
Magnify that Death Sphere!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
45 tickets came in.

I was on vacation for 2 weeks. As far as I can tell, no one looked at the queue the entire time I was gone.

There's tickets in here that were assigned the day I left that are now a week+ overdue before they even get looked at.

There's 7 people on the team. I know we have projects, but seriously assholes, I shouldn't be the only one looking at these things.

• Locked thread