Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
I don't know about you guys but I'm nerding out and watching the SCG coverage of Seattle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

bhsman posted:

Is it bad or just too narrow of use?

mehall posted:

Seems like it'd be fine in a Captain Sisay deck, but ETB tapped is kinda rough for a narrow use card.

This, from my experience. Coming into play tapped is a huge bummer since the deck is kind of slow already, and I recently put in a little more ramp so I shouldn't be too hard up on mana in most games. I'll probably never tutor for it (and I have tutor'd for lands with Sisay before), and the one time I did manage to stick it early I spent nearly half my life total casting cards with it and died to some pretty weak attackers :v: On the bright side, if I decide I want to put it back in later I doubt anyone will want to trade me for it.

E: Also when I first made the deck nearly half the cards were legendary, but I've since dialed that count back a bit so I can't use the mana from it as often.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 15, 2014

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

morning wood posted:

I don't know about you guys but I'm nerding out and watching the SCG coverage of Seattle.
I do this sometimes too, instead of randomly watching tv i watch SCG vods or starcraft. it'll be better tomorrow though, because it'll be the legacy portion of the tournament, which is way more fun to watch. You just have to stick with watching it for some time and maybe look up some cards until you get a feel for the card pool

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Oh, cool, Andrew Shrout is doing the sideboard stuff. Did SCG can that Nick Miller idiot?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
When do Journey Into Nix spoilers start?

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Gyshall posted:

When do Journey Into Nix spoilers start?

The pre-release is at the end of April, so probably the first week of April at the earliest.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I demand to see that deck Notion Thief someone on camera.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

AgentSythe posted:

Oh, cool, Andrew Shrout is doing the sideboard stuff. Did SCG can that Nick Miller idiot?

The real question is when will they can Matthias Hunt.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Matthias Hunt signed a year long contract with them I think. He's a part of the core team for 2014.

Mr. Peepers posted:

Such a fun card with UW/x being a huge part of the meta, still think it's a bit weird its usually only a 1-2 of in the sideboard.

Andrew Shrout does one deck tech and it's already better than every deck tech Nick Miller did. RIP Nick, long live Shrout.

edit: Playing with clear sleeves? Balla.

Korak fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 16, 2014

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mr. Peepers posted:

The like first or second weekend DGM came out, I saw in the Legacy open some guy Notion Thief in response to an Ancestral Visions, have that one get killed by the Shardless BUG player, then Notion Thief again in response to a Jace brainstorm :getin:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

AgentSythe posted:

The like first or second weekend DGM came out, I saw in the Legacy open some guy Notion Thief in response to an Ancestral Visions, have that one get killed by the Shardless BUG player, then Notion Thief again in response to a Jace brainstorm :getin:
Let us never forget the first on camera notion thief. You know its bad when the Judge has to laugh at your misfortune.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Zac Hill ranked 11th going into the... 8th? round at GP Montreal.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/03142014/potogold

I really should know better by now but it is still so baffling to me that WotC/the MTGO online team will come up with a wacky and random time-limited event, make it phantom only, make the prize support be almost totally valueless, and still charge $10 per entry.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Mr. Peepers posted:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/other/03142014/potogold

I really should know better by now but it is still so baffling to me that WotC/the MTGO online team will come up with a wacky and random time-limited event, make it phantom only, make the prize support be almost totally valueless, and still charge $10 per entry.

Good grief. Are they always this bad? 2-1 is a push and 3-0 is barely 150% of entry.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
It's $10 for an entry for a chance to...never win anything? No cards, no tix, no packs. You just get to keep playing if you'd like?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

AegisP posted:

It's $10 for an entry for a chance to...never win anything? No cards, no tix, no packs. You just get to keep playing if you'd like?

You can use Phantom Points for other useless events as well. The best use for them is Cube, which they never leave up long enough.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There are two uses for phantom points:

- Playing for fun
- Grinding QPs against people playing for fun

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
gently caress off with the Phantom points, Wizards.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Two 7-0 Hexproof decks at the SCG Seattle event. I've been praising that deck for months and it gets better as less devour fleshes are played.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Korak posted:

Two 7-0 Hexproof decks at the SCG Seattle event. I've been praising that deck for months and it gets better as less devour fleshes are played.

Pretty pleased with myself continuing to play Devour as a four-of.

Edit: though Key's Hexproof just lost to Monoblack Aggro.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 16, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Bought a box of RTR for shits and giggles, and I wanted to fill out my binder with the poo poo I missed before rotation takes it. Also gonna draft half of it with m'bros.

First 12 packs contained:
1 Blood Crypt
2 Hallowed Fountain
1 Precinct Captain
1 Rest in Peace
1 Pithing Needle
1 Pack Rat
1 Underworld Connections
1 Steam Vents
1 Loxodon Smiter
1 Volatile Rig
1 Angel of Serenity
:pwn: ok Wizards I guess you showed me.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

AgentSythe posted:

Best notion thief happened at my LGS. Esper Stoneblade vs High Tide. High Tide has cast some insane amount of High Tides at this point, I believe 4 or so after Snapcasting a couple. Goes to cast their first Time Spiral with no cards in hand. Esper player has 1 island, 1 swamp in play, 1 card in hand. Of course they Notion Thief the gently caress out of the high tide player. High Tide man untaps 6 lands, Esper man draws 14. High Tide player looks at their opponent. Looks at the board, scoops.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Are there any good mono-green lists out there maybe using Omnath as a commander? I thought about making a "big mana big creature" type deck. When Omnath says mana doesnt empty at the end of phases and steps, does that include end steps so you keep your mana across turns?

Omnath is SUPER loving easy. My Omnath list is a pile with some good cards in it and I crush face on the reg. Just run lots of enchantments and artifacts to increase mana output and sorceries to fetch land, and fatties that make other fatties better or get you land. Also Bear Umbra. If you want, I can send you the list that I play with that isn't optimal but still hardcasts Ulamog turn 5 and turn 6 Gen Waves for half my deck.

L0cke17 posted:

Best notion thief happened at my LGS.

No, I think it's the SCG Open where someone Notion Thiefed a Jace Brainstorm and the Jace's controller looked like someone shot his puppy.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

Snacksmaniac posted:

Good grief. Are they always this bad? 2-1 is a push and 3-0 is barely 150% of entry.

Well, 2-1 in a B/T/T swiss queues puts you down 2.58 tickets, and 2-1 in a four booster sealed puts you down 1.2 tickets, and 2-1 in a normal phantom 6 pack sealed queue puts you down 1.2 tickets, so normally it's worse!

I don't really get people complaining about bad EV when it comes to the current phantom cube payout (which this event mimics). I don't care about no "real prizes" when I (along with just about everyone on the planet) is negative EV long term in limited given current prize structures. Being able to actually re-queue with a Swiss 2-1 is much better value than anything else in MTGO limited these days.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I personally think having all 3 gold blocks fully represented in a single Sealed pool more than makes up for any whining over crappy prize support or bad EV. I can't wait to build an utterly unplayable pile of 5-color shite and pilot it to an excruciating 1-2 finish!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Literally The Worst posted:

No, I think it's the SCG Open where someone Notion Thiefed a Jace Brainstorm and the Jace's controller looked like someone shot his puppy.

It's, like, 9 posts up from you.

The best part was when they explained that even though he didn't draw the three cards, he still had to discard two.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I personally think having all 3 gold blocks fully represented in a single Sealed pool more than makes up for any whining over crappy prize support or bad EV. I can't wait to build an utterly unplayable pile of 5-color shite and pilot it to an excruciating 1-2 finish!

Same here; I think it'll be really fun to play these sets together.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Jesse Hampton getting a game loss for not desideboarding.

I guess the one upside is we might see an Esper mirror that doesn't go to time.

e: And Notion Thief stealing a Sphinx's Revelation G2. This is hilarious.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Mar 16, 2014

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Notion Thiefing a Brainstorm effect and making your opponent put 2 back on their library is probably one of the most exquisite experiences you can have in magic and it makes me sad that I'll likely never have an opportunity to do it. :(

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Notion Thief in response to a Rev in Seattle, haha. Control player immediately reads it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Mr. Peepers posted:

Notion Thiefing a Brainstorm effect and making your opponent put 2 back on their library is probably one of the most exquisite experiences you can have in magic and it makes me sad that I'll likely never have an opportunity to do it. :(

If Spirit of the Labythinth makes it into Hatebears you can vial it in in response to a Brainstorm, which is both quicker to do and uncounterable :getin:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
In the SCG Open, did that guy just bloodrush Ghor-Clan Rampager with GG mana? He had 3 forests + some other land, cast ultimate price for 1B, then bloodrushed Rampager. I think.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Devor posted:

In the SCG Open, did that guy just bloodrush Ghor-Clan Rampager with GG mana? He had 3 forests + some other land, cast ultimate price for 1B, then bloodrushed Rampager. I think.

He used his Caryatid for red, just sloppy tapping.

Hahaha --- this Timothy Chavez guy goes to one of the local shops I play at.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Starting at 14:07-ish in this video

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Not even the best part of that moment

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

The Lord of Hats posted:

Starting at 14:07-ish in this video

It's actually at 44:40

Edit: It happens at 44 minutes 40 seconds, and also at 14 hours 7 minutesish like you said

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Now he DEFINITELY just cast that 1WW banisher priest with a swamp, black/white dual land, and a mutavault, right?

Edit: It's a black looking plains

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Do you guys think I'd be better off buying one Box Set from the past 3 sets, or just find a deck I like and buy it individually for getting back into MTG?

Should also mention I have close to $300 in Amazon bucks, but it wouldn't kill me to spend whatever on singles.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

L0cke17 posted:

Best notion thief happened at my LGS. Esper Stoneblade vs High Tide. High Tide has cast some insane amount of High Tides at this point, I believe 4 or so after Snapcasting a couple. Goes to cast their first Time Spiral with no cards in hand. Esper player has 1 island, 1 swamp in play, 1 card in hand. Of course they Notion Thief the gently caress out of the high tide player. High Tide man untaps 6 lands, Esper man draws 14. High Tide player looks at their opponent. Looks at the board, scoops.

I played in a vintage tournament a few weeks ago. Almost literally every-freaking-body played BUG. I played Breakfast Burrito because I wasn't smart enough to buy Lotuses when they were $400, and also because I was 9.

The store owner was defending his Emerald with some awesome durdle forever deck with a bunch of Timetwister, Wheel of Fortune, etc. effects, plus Future Sight, which is just awesome, with the eventual goal of a lethal Kaervek's Torch. I'm not sure why it wasn't a Banefire, but whatever. To give an example of what the deck did, his one round went to time on his opponent's turn. His turn came up, and 20 minutes later the owner was still on turn 1, which he eventually won 15 minutes later.

Anyway, so he was playing one of the BUG guys and casts Wheel of Fortune, I think. BUG guy flashes in Notion Thief in response. He scooped.

But I've got one better that I did:
7-player Commander game, my friend casts Collective whatever it is 3 few turns in - the one that draws cards. Everyone taps out for like, 15 cards each. I cast Notion Thief and lose then go play Modern which I enjoy much more.

Sab669 posted:

Do you guys think I'd be better off buying one Box Set from the past 3 sets, or just find a deck I like and buy it individually for getting back into MTG?

Should also mention I have close to $300 in Amazon bucks, but it wouldn't kill me to spend whatever on singles.

If you're just getting back into it, it's probably better to find a playset of all the common/uncommons back through at least Theros then buy whatever else you need individually. From what I've seen, they're usually around $40-50. Nothing is more fun than opening packs, but the value isn't usually there.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Never buy sealed product unless you're drafting or you really like to open packs. Buying individual cards is always cheaper. To get all of the cards for something like mono black would have you opening multiple boxes of 5 different sets.

• Locked thread