Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Some douche on :foxnews: was saying that terrorists hijacked the plane and are planning to fill it with explosives and then blow up Israel with it.

how do I donate explosives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Some douche on :foxnews: was saying that terrorists hijacked the plane and are planning to fill it with explosives and then blow up Israel with it.

Not sure that model 777 would make it from anywhere it's like to be at the moment to Israel without having to refuel, not to mention that every radar facility in the world will be on alert for the appearance of an unidentified aircraft resembling a 777. Making it disappear is one thing. Flying it anywhere undetected now is another thing entirely.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I heard that someone disabled the datalink system on the plane, and then a normal "good night" message was given to flight control. Also it's apparently almost impossible to disable that system from outside the cockpit.

So the pilot is the one who took the plane.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Lolie posted:

Not sure that model 777 would make it from anywhere it's like to be at the moment to Israel without having to refuel, not to mention that every radar facility in the world will be on alert for the appearance of an unidentified aircraft resembling a 777. Making it disappear is one thing. Flying it anywhere undetected now is another thing entirely.

Can you tell what type of plane you are detecting on radar? Or is it just a blip. Because has anyone raised the possibility of the transponder on the plane being hacked to pretend it is something else entirely, in order to fly up to Kazakstan or wherever undetected? And from there the plane could even be painted to look like another airline, which they would then fly around and blend in as normal, until it is time to drop the bomb or whatever.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Sucrose posted:

I heard that someone disabled the datalink system on the plane, and then a normal "good night" message was given to flight control. Also it's apparently almost impossible to disable that system from outside the cockpit.

Nah, the best conclusion you can draw from that is that a pilot had something to do with it. It need not be one of the pilots assigned to the flight. Cockpits aren't impenetrable fortresses and an intruder who is also a pilot is going to be alert to the possibility of the crew trying to covertly send distress signals.

quote:

Can you tell what type of plane you are detecting on radar? Or is it just a blip. Because has anyone raised the possibility of the transponder on the plane being hacked to pretend it is something else entirely, in order to fly up to Kazakstan or wherever undetected? And from there the plane could even be painted to look like another airline, which they would then fly around and blend in as normal, until it is time to drop the bomb or whatever.

I'm pretty sure military radar operators are able to make educated guesses about the type of aircraft they're seeing on their radar based on characteristics like altitude and air speed - ie, a small pleasure aircraft, a commercial passenger aircraft, and a fighter jet are all going to look different to a military radar operator.

Not all flights show on general air traffic control screens. Some are intentionally blocked.

quote:

Security sensitive flights that are military, or who carry high ranking officials such as the president don't even show on our screen. The target is removed entirely from the feed.

Targets that you see marked BLOCKED are general aviation aircraft carrying celebrities, business executives, or other VIPs who have made a special request to not have their callsign published. It's a good system to protect important people so that someone cannot use a website such as ours to stalk a celebrity or VIP. If you listen carefully and watch aircraft type information, you can sometimes hear the N number callsign of a blocked aircraft. The N number can then be looked up to determine ownership.

airtrafficatlanta.com/faq.php?faq_num=2

Lolie fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 16, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lolie posted:

Nah, the best conclusion you can draw from that is that a pilot had something to do with it. It need not be one of the pilots assigned to the flight. Cockpits aren't impenetrable fortresses and an intruder who is also a pilot is going to be alert to the possibility of the crew trying to covertly send distress signals.

Yeah, the "hijack transponder code" is something you can learn by searching the internet at this point, for one thing. Aircraft operation manuals are probably harder, but not impossible, to come by as well. I used to have (probably still have somewhere) an old DC-10 manual that was given to me by my Dad's friend, who used to fly them. This would likely tell you how to disable ACARS and/or other communications systems.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.
I guess no one knows, but are there satellites (hi-res enough) monitoring the arse end of nowhere (the vector to antarctica?). As you get further from the equator sat-coverage is more expensive to establish.

Salt Fish posted:

I checked imdb.my and its apparently between 30 and 650 minutes long.
:golfclap:

hahaha

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Sucrose posted:

Also it's apparently almost impossible to disable that system from outside the cockpit.

Unless the mechanical problems were in the cockpit. It could have collided with something, could have been a fire, who knows.

It's impossible to say when there's no physical evidence yet.

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

Wandle Cax posted:

Unsure, but planes require a flight path, so there would be blips they expect to see and others they don't.
If they don't expect you, you are getting a radio message and then missiled if you don't respond

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Spiky Ooze posted:

Unless the mechanical problems were in the cockpit. It could have collided with something, could have been a fire, who knows.

It's impossible to say when there's no physical evidence yet.

So the plane collides with an object in mid-air, causing a fire in the cockpit, the pilot then calmly says good night to air traffic control, then turns around and flies in the opposite direction for seven hours. Hmmmm yes a compelling theory.

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

Wandle Cax posted:

The US shot down an airliner because they thought it was an F-14 so I'm guessing probably not. Perhaps they pulled a Con Air and switched out the transponders.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

The Biscuit posted:

Unsure, but planes require a flight path, so there would be blips they expect to see and others they don't.
If they don't expect you, you are getting a radio message and then missiled if you don't respond

Unfortunately, every time there's a major disaster of any kind it always comes out that electronic systems often show anomalies and that those monitoring them get into the habit of ignoring data which doesn't make sense and writing it off as a system glitch.

quote:

So the plane collides with an object in mid-air, causing a fire in the cockpit, the pilot then calmly says good night to air traffic control, then turns around and flies in the opposite direction for seven hours. Hmmmm yes a compelling theory.

It seems as though the pings picked up by the satellite aren't especially useful in locating the plane as no data about the aircraft was being fed back to Rolls Royce because Malaysia Airlines didn't pay for their expanded service. That it pinged for seven hours after contact was lost doesn't mean it flew for 7 hours after contact was lost.

quote:

"It depends on the data coming from the engines," McGee said. "If you have no reliable source of what information you are reading, you cannot get the range, air speed or time traveled."

He cautioned that the aircraft could continue to generate the signals, even if it had crashed, depending on any damage to the aircraft and its engines.

Mark Rosenker, a former chairman of the National Transportation Safety Board, said the aircraft would continue generating the signals even if it was on the ground, unless the system had shut down.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/13/us-malaysia-airlines-data-idUSBREA2C1NR20140313

quote:

Yeah, the "hijack transponder code" is something you can learn by searching the internet at this point, for one thing.

I was under the impression that there's no equivalent of an "armed robbery in progress" button on an aircraft which automatically sets the transponder to signal that something is wrong and that transponder codes need to be set by the pilot (or someone else).

Lolie fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 16, 2014

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
In that case, assuming they would not work underwater it would imply the plane has either flown on for hours as apparently commonly believed, or landed relatively intact on land somewhere relatively close to where it disappeared.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Wandle Cax posted:

Why not just buy a used plane and do this exact same thing without raising the entire world's alert?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Lolie posted:

It seems as though the pings picked up by the satellite aren't especially useful in locating the plane as no data about the aircraft was being fed back to Rolls Royce because Malaysia Airlines didn't pay for their expanded service. That it pinged for seven hours after contact was lost doesn't mean it flew for 7 hours after contact was lost.

I guess they could have landed the plane then blown up the engines 7 hours later.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Why not just buy a used plane and do this exact same thing without raising the entire world's alert?

maybe they didn't have the cash for a used plane, this way is much cheaper.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Wandle Cax posted:

I bet there's dozens of airports in poo poo countries where a few people with a trained pilot could just grab a plane and take off.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

The recreated part of the flight.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

PleasureKevin posted:

The recreated part of the flight.

:eyepop:

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

Dusseldorf posted:

I guess they could have landed the plane then blown up the engines 7 hours later.
what if the engines kept flying for seven hours but the rest of the plane crashed earlier

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

All of the taliban's terrorist funds are stuck in mtgox.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

has there been a joke yet about the plane flying to hitler's frozen nazi fortress

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Powershift posted:

All of the taliban's terrorist funds are stuck in mtgox.

funding the worst act of terrorism our economy has ever seen

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

has there been a joke yet about the plane flying to hitler's frozen nazi fortress

Well since Hitler lives on the moon I don't see why there would be.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well since Hitler lives on the moon I don't see why there would be.

do you think von braun was making rockets for his health

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Dusseldorf posted:

The guy who explained it said there's a possibility it could have continued pinging even if it had crashed - it would depend entirely on what damage the aircraft sustained (obviously at the point the engines stopped working - for any reason including running out of fuel - it would stop pinging).

While intuitively you'd think that there'd be no way the engines would continue pinging if the plane crashed into the ocean, history is full of events which seemed "impossible" until they actually happened.

It's way more intriguing to think of this as being a carefully planned operation where someone still has possession of an intact aircraft, but it could still turn out to be a garden variety "someone deliberately crashed it into the ocean for reasons unknown" thing.

On a related note, I used to fly from one side of Australia to the other a lot, which required flying over the Great Australian Bight (usually at night). The advice that your seat cushion could be used as a flotation device seemed rather pointless given that no-one was going to survive the impact of a commercial airliner going down in that particular stretch of water.

quote:

It's probably a wee bit hard to get huge amounts of Avgas unless you're the known owner of an aircraft, too.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 16, 2014

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I bet there's dozens of airports in poo poo countries where a few people with a trained pilot could just grab a plane and take off.

happened before N844AA

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?
CNN will be providing nonstop coverage of the missing plane all night

They will continue to cover this breaking story all night

Until 11pm EST

(cuts to commercial)

E: Instead of holograms they're using toy planes

SteveVizsla fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 16, 2014

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I finished reading the Air France Flight 447 pilot transcript. Those guys remind me of The Three Stooges.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
still looking like an arg for a reboot of :lost:

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Then they'd be tracking the plane from the outset. In any case somebody obviously wanted a plane and took it while it was flying.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't there a previous incident where a plane crashed into an island but the engines kept running to the point where the intakes were sucking in survivors

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

SteveVizsla posted:

CNN will be providing nonstop coverage of the missing plane all night

They will continue to cover this breaking story all night

Until 11pm EST

(cuts to commercial)

E: Instead of holograms they're using toy planes

This would be the same CNN which didn't cover the presser live yesterday? God bless the weekend news cycle.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Zogo posted:

I finished reading the Air France Flight 447 pilot transcript. Those guys remind me of The Three Stooges.

yeah why the hell was the copilot pulling back on the stick while they were stalled; wth anyone knows not to do that

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008
Some aviation nerd on Twitter says it's likely to have landed (not crashed) in Iran, there was a pilot involved (as in, nobody from outside stormed the secure cockpit and took over), and that all the passengers are dead.

Furthermore, it's not going to be filled with explosives, refueled and hitting the skies again—it was taken for whatever desired cargo was on board (not for hostages) and is now probably cut up (tail/wings removed) and hidden somewhere.

How come India didn't notice a plane? I don't know. But it sounds like the plane was operating relatively normally (not erratic enough to set off anyone's alarms):

"Because the pings between the satellite and the aircraft registered that the aircraft's satellite communications system was healthy and able to transmit, the data did not immediately raise any red flags in the hours after the jet's disappearance."

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wasn't there a previous incident where a plane crashed into an island but the engines kept running to the point where the intakes were sucking in survivors

I read that as "where the inmates were sucking off survivors" :catstare:

also: :lost:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

samizdat posted:

Some aviation nerd on Twitter says it's likely to have landed (not crashed) in Iran, there was a pilot involved (as in, nobody from outside stormed the secure cockpit and took over), and that all the passengers are dead.

Furthermore, it's not going to be filled with explosives, refueled and hitting the skies again—it was taken for whatever desired cargo was on board (not for hostages) and is now probably cut up (tail/wings removed) and hidden somewhere.

How come India didn't notice a plane? I don't know. But it sounds like the plane was operating relatively normally (not erratic enough to set off anyone's alarms):

"Because the pings between the satellite and the aircraft registered that the aircraft's satellite communications system was healthy and able to transmit, the data did not immediately raise any red flags in the hours after the jet's disappearance."

I would agree and say this is almost certainly true.

Edit: Based on evidence.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Wandle Cax posted:

What? Read these words again man "It's impossible to say when there's no physical evidence yet."

Tell me where I said it was my theory, again.

I think theories are loving stupid under the circumstances and lack of reliable, not to mention physical, evidence.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

samizdat posted:

The longer we go without finding any trace of this plane, the more likely I am to believe a story like this.

edit: tempted to register isMH370stillmissing.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

samizdat posted:

Would it have still had enough fuel to get to Iran after having flown west at the start of the flight?

I'm still having a hard time thinking up some highly desirable cargo which would be transported between KL and Beijing on a commercial airliner. Lithium batteries certainly don't seem reason enough to hijack an aircraft. If there was something highly desirable in the cargo hold and the pilots knew about it in advance, then at least some other airline staff would have also known about it and you'd expect information to have leaked by now.

• Locked thread