Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Rick Rickshaw posted:

The longer we go without finding any trace of this plane, the more likely I am to believe a story like this.

edit: tempted to register isMH370stillmissing.com

hijacked by persia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

samizdat posted:

Some aviation nerd on Twitter says it's likely to have landed (not crashed) in Iran, there was a pilot involved (as in, nobody from outside stormed the secure cockpit and took over), and that all the passengers are dead.

Furthermore, it's not going to be filled with explosives, refueled and hitting the skies again—it was taken for whatever desired cargo was on board (not for hostages) and is now probably cut up (tail/wings removed) and hidden somewhere.

How come India didn't notice a plane? I don't know. But it sounds like the plane was operating relatively normally (not erratic enough to set off anyone's alarms):

"Because the pings between the satellite and the aircraft registered that the aircraft's satellite communications system was healthy and able to transmit, the data did not immediately raise any red flags in the hours after the jet's disappearance."

too bad nothing unscheduled flies over the India-Pakistan border without being shot down

edit: not to mention nato airspace over afghanistan

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

Dusseldorf posted:

I would agree and say this is almost certainly true.

Edit: Based on evidence.

I feel like I am a nutjob for even considering the possibility that somebody stole a plane and took it to Iran (sure, they're embargoed but clearly they've had ways of getting things that don't involve stealing planes), but what else exactly is left? The official story is that it didn't crash, it flew for several hours with a last ping in a certain area, and the plane's sophisticated equipment was tampered with in just the right way.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

too bad nothing unscheduled flies over the India-Pakistan border without being shot down

edit: not to mention nato airspace over afghanistan

What if the flight path was actually lower and managed to cut over the ocean from India and up into Iran without hitting Pakistan or Afghanistan?

samizdat fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 16, 2014

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

samizdat posted:

I feel like I am a nutjob for even considering the possibility that somebody stole a plane and took it to Iran (sure, they're embargoed but clearly they've had ways of getting things that don't involve stealing planes), but what else exactly is left? The official story is that it didn't crash, it flew for several hours with a last ping in a certain area, and the plane's sophisticated equipment was tampered with in just the right way.

the alternative is that someone tried to take it somewhere that didn't involve crossing over multiple countries with military radars that would take note of a 777 sized object coming over unannounced

who knows if they made it, that's the fun part

Jacobeus
Jan 9, 2013
I just don't think even Iran is stupid enough to attempt something like that.

Surely if it were really hijacked it's very unlikely for it to be an operation sanctioned by an actual nation-state.

Jacobeus fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 16, 2014

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

the alternative is that someone tried to take it somewhere that didn't involve crossing over multiple countries with military radars that would take note of a 777 sized object coming over unannounced

who knows if they made it, that's the fun part

Sorry, made a slow edit to my last post and didn't hit post until now. What if the flight path was actually much lower and managed to cut over the ocean into Gulf of Oman from India and then up into Iran (without hitting the border and crossing into Pakistan or Afghanistan)?

The Biscuit
Jul 2, 2007
Half of everything is luck.

samizdat posted:

Sorry, made a slow edit to my last post and didn't hit post until now. What if the flight path was actually much lower and managed to cut over the ocean into Gulf of Oman from India and then up into Iran (without hitting the border and crossing into Pakistan or Afghanistan)?

Wouldn't that still be a hot-zone for unrelated surveillence?

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

Jacobeus posted:

I just don't think even Iran is stupid enough to attempt something like that.

Surely if it were really hijacked it's very unlikely for it to be an operation sanctioned by an actual nation-state.

Yeah, Iran as a government seems to be able to get whatever they want and don't have to resort to stealing planes. It's not that they're not stupid enough, it's just that it doesn't make sense to me. I just don't know anything about various other organizations (cartels?) that might not have the same power in that particular region.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

samizdat posted:

How come India didn't notice a plane? I don't know.

You must not read a lot of GBS threads.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

When they unplugged their transponder, maybe they plugged a different one in. So they looked like a different plane to everyone. They could then go into other airspace.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

samizdat posted:

china's entire foreign policy is based on "countries can do whatever the gently caress they want in their own borders". in the un they abstain from any symbolic action against iran, and they veto any actual action against iran. why would iran hijack a plane full of chinese citizens?

Velvet Elvis
Jul 1, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

countries with military radars that would take note of a 777 sized object coming over unannounced

Like Malaysia?

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

The Biscuit posted:

Wouldn't that still be a hot-zone for unrelated surveillence?

Yeah I'd assume so, someone has to be out there in the water.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Velvet Elvis posted:

Like Malaysia?

malaysia doesn't have a hot border and they might be stupid as gently caress but a week after the fact they did got info out of their military radar

Knight Corgi
Jan 5, 2014

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

china's entire foreign policy is based on "countries can do whatever the gently caress they want in their own borders". in the un they abstain from any symbolic action against iran, and they veto any actual action against iran. why would iran hijack a plane full of chinese citizens?

Indeed and actually, Iranians are quite welcomed in China to do business since Western countries are not allowed to export anything to them.
Also, Malaysia is pissed at Israel so they're pretty much aligned with them.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
According to cnn, US officials believe the southern scenario is more plausible than the northern scenario. If thats true, then its probably suicide.

Russell William Thorpe
Nov 18, 2004
No poo poo it's more plausuble... but why? I'm guessing the pings are red herrings, it got covered with mud on the bottom of the ocean floor just of Vietnam, and the fossilized remains of the passengers will be in a museum, along with their plane, in 50 million years when the descendants of the octopus rule the Earth.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Lolie posted:

This would be the same CNN which didn't cover the presser live yesterday? God bless the weekend news cycle.

Yep. They kept emphasizing the "all night" part, then slipped in the "ends at 11pm" part. CNN doesn't stay up late on saturday nights. They're also 100% convinced that a pilot is involved.

E: The word absconded is being heavily used

SteveVizsla fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Mar 16, 2014

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

samizdat posted:

Exactly, this complicated and deliberate plan was planned well in advance and probably even involved the pilots. There is no way such an organized plan to hijack an aircraft was done for no reason other than to fly out into the ocean, run out of fuel and crash. There simply must have been a very good reason for this to have been done and since nobody has claimed anything publicly it was obviously a secret plan. So the conclusion must be that the plane landed somewhere secretly. The alternative would be something somehow went wrong along the way and it either crashed into the ocean or somebody else realized what was going on and shot it down before the plan could be executed.

If it was suicide you have to wonder why on earth the pilot wasted so much time going in the other direction, disabling transponders etc. The other major case of pilot suicide he simply flew the plane into the ocean 12 minutes after take off. This is too complex for that.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

It seems like occasionally there's tensions between the two countries, but yeah. Jacking a plane doesn't make sense as official Iranian business.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

PleasureKevin posted:

When they unplugged their transponder, maybe they plugged a different one in. So they looked like a different plane to everyone. They could then go into other airspace.

Only problem is that you still need to account for the "new" plane. If you copy the code of a legitimate flight then there's a high chance of someone noticing.

Blocking the ID might work on a smaller aircraft but not so much on a 777 (a Lear Jet and a 777 don't look the same on radar) and it's likely to lead to requests to identify yourself with potentially nasty consequences if those requests are ignored.

Maybe you'd have a chance if you could convince various radars that you're a legitimate military flight but then you're talking about heightened levels of vigilance where anything being flagged as odd could have potentially catastrophic consequences (and where if you're not replicating the normal behaviour of military aircraft someone should notice).

You'd either need a massive conspiracy involving a hell of a lot of people looking the other way when they detect something odd or a hell of a lot of luck (just because certain locations might be known for often having their radars off or ignoring funky stuff doesn't mean you can count on that being the case at a given time).

Part of me wants this to remain unsolved, if only to remind us that technology doesn't have all the answers.

Kombotron
Aug 11, 2011
the jews did this

http://www.jta.org/2014/03/11/news-opinion/world/the-guy-who-missed-the-malaysia-airlines-flight

also

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Someone is suggesting that the plane is being controlled by remote, because some thing happened in a sub-optimal reception area for sat phones.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

Someone is suggesting that the plane is being controlled by remote, because some thing happened in a sub-optimal reception area for sat phones.

ok, NOW we have the dumbest theory

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

There simply must have been a very good reason for this to have been done and since nobody has claimed anything publicly it was obviously a secret plan.

There was a claim by some "Chinese Martyrs' Brigade" group, but no authorities are giving it any weight and it sounds like BS. However, not claiming it doesn't mean much either: "Credible perpetrators claimed responsibility for only 14 percent of the more than 45,000 terrorist acts that have occurred since 1998."

While it sounds less effective to commit an attack and then not claim it, it'd make a lot of sense to watch it all play out while remaining a free person under the radar.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Northjayhawk posted:

According to cnn, US officials believe the southern scenario is more plausible than the northern scenario. If thats true, then its probably suicide.

I bet benefits for surviving family members are better when the plane your flying mysteriously disappears than if you just plow it into the ocean. Maybe one of the pilot had financial or health problems.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Maybe the Sultan of Brunei wanted a new 777 (it looks like the leases on their 777s are expiring and the delivery schedule for 787s has slipped).

I was kind of hoping my brother would have a theory on this as he's a former military and commercial pilot and spent time in the region in both a military and civilian capacity - unfortunately, he seems to be keeping any theories he has to himself.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 16, 2014

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

Wandle Cax posted:

Can you tell what type of plane you are detecting on radar? Or is it just a blip. Because has anyone raised the possibility of the transponder on the plane being hacked to pretend it is something else entirely, in order to fly up to Kazakstan or wherever undetected? And from there the plane could even be painted to look like another airline, which they would then fly around and blend in as normal, until it is time to drop the bomb or whatever.

Saw some misinformation concerning this, I am an air traffic controller, with PRIMARY radar there is no noticeable difference between the radar return (blip) of a large commercial aircraft or a small general aviation aircraft. The SECONDARY radar (transponder) has all the information concerning the flight or aircraft number and type of aircraft. In the US since we have so many flight plans, the discreet transponder codes change quite often. Usually if a flight is not airborne within 2 hours of receiving a code the code will drop out to be used on another flight later. If you knew the specific code another flight that hadn't taken off yet was using you could change your code to theirs, but picking a random code would more often than not be useless.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
So in theory, could they have changed the transponder code when flying towards Iran, to something that would cause those monitoring radar in between to not really bat an eyelid if they were flying over a normal flight path.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the captain said good night to ground control and turned to his co-pilot, "sorry, friend, but this flight is not going to it's scheduled destination. I'm taking over." as the pilot began to turn the plan around, the controls gave out. the faint smell of burning electronics creeped over the two pilots. a device had been programmed to burn through the control wires mid-flight, taking control away from the captain patching it in through a radio control device. a voice came over the headsets, "greetings malaysian pilot men. this is iran. we are taking control over this flight by remote control. it's to do a 9/11 type thing. hahahaha." the pilot began to macguyver the strange electronic radio controls he found beneath the control panel. "hand me that bobble-head on the dash, co-pilot, i will use the spring inside it to--". the co-pilot interrupted, "no. i'm afraid the two of you aren't the only ones with plans for this plane. i'm really suicidal and i'm doing to crash it into the water to die." and with that he lunged for the captains neck, tiger-style. the cabin's door flung open amidst the scuffle. the men who came through wielded seat-belt extensions like nun-chuks, "hello irish. i'm the captain now. we go to america," said one. hardly anyone noticed as two well-tanned women in cowboy hats entered the cockpit behind them, "blow jobs, boys?"

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Zochness posted:

Saw some misinformation concerning this, I am an air traffic controller, with PRIMARY radar there is no noticeable difference between the radar return (blip) of a large commercial aircraft or a small general aviation aircraft. The SECONDARY radar (transponder) has all the information concerning the flight or aircraft number and type of aircraft. In the US since we have so many flight plans, the discreet transponder codes change quite often. Usually if a flight is not airborne within 2 hours of receiving a code the code will drop out to be used on another flight later. If you knew the specific code another flight that hadn't taken off yet was using you could change your code to theirs, but picking a random code would more often than not be useless.

Isn't military radar significantly different, though (in that it can even track birds the size of pelicans and is designed to detect flying things other than aircraft)? I realise the information from military radar mightn't seem significant in real time unless an unidentified aicraft appeared to pose a threat, but isn't it possible that military radar picked up better information than that detected by civilian radar?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

PleasureKevin posted:

the captain said good night to ground control and turned to his co-pilot, "sorry, friend, but this flight is not going to it's scheduled destination. I'm taking over." as the pilot began to turn the plan around, the controls gave out. the faint smell of burning electronics creeped over the two pilots. a device had been programmed to burn through the control wires mid-flight, taking control away from the captain patching it in through a radio control device. a voice came over the headsets, "greetings malaysian pilot men. this is iran. we are taking control over this flight by remote control. it's to do a 9/11 type thing. hahahaha." the pilot began to macguyver the strange electronic radio controls he found beneath the control panel. "hand me that bobble-head on the dash, co-pilot, i will use the spring inside it to--". the co-pilot interrupted, "no. i'm afraid the two of you aren't the only ones with plans for this plane. i'm really suicidal and i'm doing to crash it into the water to die." and with that he lunged for the captains neck, tiger-style. the cabin's door flung open amidst the scuffle. the men who came through wielded seat-belt extensions like nun-chuks, "hello irish. i'm the captain now. we go to america," said one. hardly anyone noticed as two well-tanned women in cowboy hats entered the cockpit behind them, "blow jobs, boys?"

You somehow put into words what I've been trying to in my head all along.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Rocks posted:

Why is Malaysia even allowed to have a hand in this anymore, shouldn't it be left to the big boys now? There were like 175 Chinese citizens on board you'd think China would be like ok we're running this now

China has too many people already.

New theory: china has given up on the one child policy and will focus on making airliners full of chinese people disappear.

Zochness
May 13, 2009

I AM James Bond.
Pillbug

Lolie posted:

Isn't military radar significantly different, though (in that it can even track birds the size of pelicans and is designed to detect flying things other than aircraft)? I realise the information from military radar mightn't seem significant in real time unless an unidentified aicraft appeared to pose a threat, but isn't it possible that military radar picked up better information than that detected by civilian radar?

I've only done a short web search but really haven't found anything conclusive on that, but it definitely could be possible. I know we pick up cars on the highway occasionally and at least decent sized flocks of birds. It could depend on how much processing is used to filter out smaller objects, I know we use a lot to keep the clutter off our scopes.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

PleasureKevin posted:

And that's how I met your mother.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

There's still no evidence that the ACAS and transponder were switched off. Could've just been a fire...

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Rocks posted:

Why is Malaysia even allowed to have a hand in this anymore, shouldn't it be left to the big boys now? There were like 175 Chinese citizens on board you'd think China would be like ok we're running this now

Officially, China is pissed off and Malaysia is going to be getting "assistance" from China whether it wants it or not.

quote:

After the press conference, China’s Foreign Ministry issued a stern statement demanding to know more and urging Malaysia to continue providing it with “thorough and exact information” on the missing plane.

A foreign ministry spokesman, Qin Gang, said China would send a technical team to Malaysia to assist with the search and would shift its search planes and ships to areas west of Malaysia in accordance with the new information received.

China’s official Xinhua news agency ran a blistering attack on Malaysia’s handling of the investigation: "It is undeniable that the disclosure of such vital information is painfully belated – more than seven excruciating days after the 227 passengers and 12 crew members lost contact with their beloved relatives and friends,” it said on Saturday.

“And due to the absence – or at least lack – of timely authoritative information, massive efforts have been squandered, and numerous rumors have been spawned, repeatedly racking the nerves of the awaiting families.”

https://www.smh.com.au/world/missing-malaysia-airlines-plane-police-raid-home-of-lead-pilot-zaharie-ahmad-shah-20140315-34u3n.html

Zochness posted:

I've only done a short web search but really haven't found anything conclusive on that, but it definitely could be possible. I know we pick up cars on the highway occasionally and at least decent sized flocks of birds. It could depend on how much processing is used to filter out smaller objects, I know we use a lot to keep the clutter off our scopes.

I found something on Israel and a number of other nations having this capability but nothing which indicates it's in use in SE Asian military installations.

http://www.economist.com/news/science-and-technology/21594237-radar-stops-aircraft-colliding-each-other-it-should-be-used-stop-them

Lolie fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 16, 2014

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Uri Geller has been asked to help solve plane mystery. Says Chinese monks bent plane's flight path with their minds.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-uri-3242685

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

the pilots were probably drunk as gently caress and crashed into the sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

BeefThief posted:

the pilots were probably drunk as gently caress and crashed into the sea.

that doesn't explain how their names sound muslim, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IByvYggVVlY

• Locked thread