Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Buttass posted:

My doctorate is in butts and asses. That includes covering them.
That's about the best response you could have used there. Not bad sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Mulgar posted:

There is so much wrong here, I can't even begin :psyduck:

This is surprising coming from a guy who posted this video, and later redacted it.

Funny enough when I first saw the let's play opinion video, I thought about recommending someone like Chip to him in hopes he would see the better side of LP. Kinda regret not doing that now.:smith:

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 16, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Combat Lobster posted:

This is surprising coming from a guy who posted this video, and later redacted it

His argument is completely invalid. What about sports fans? Tons of people love watching sports, but not necessarily playing them or vice versa.

One of the bullet points was Professionally made rants... really?

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

They sound like they are trying really hard to be funny.

Most of this guy's normal content is pretty good I think. But it's so obvious that they're only doing this because they know their :downs: fans will eat this up.
The backlash was quite strong though, so much so that they haven't uploaded a new part to the LPs in two months.

This guy's only started watching LPs recently (2-3 months ago) so I don't think he's trying the "DSP" angle. They said they want to transition into YouTube as a full time job (They also have a comedy skit channel as well as rant channels) and see this as another step towards that.

What's annoying is they seemed to have not given any thought into this at all. Hell, even the Game Grumps play new weird and/or obscure games that they haven't seen before. These guys just hooked up a microphone and capture card and started bullshitting for 10~ mins.

They couldn't even be bothered to start from a new save file :bang:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mulgar posted:

What's annoying is they seemed to have not given any thought into this at all. Hell, even the Game Grumps play new weird and/or obscure games that they haven't seen before. These guys just hooked up a microphone and capture card and started bullshitting for 10~ mins.

They couldn't even be bothered to start from a new save file :bang:

Yeah, and that's my point is that they didn't care.

I mean, weird/obscure game or not, its the commentary/style of lp you provide that makes it worthwhile to watch. These two just phoned it in and expected it to get views because youtube LPs are trendy as gently caress right now.

wottermelon
Mar 12, 2014

Mulgar posted:

All this talk of Game Grumps reminded me that one of my favorite channels on YouTube created this :cripes:

There is so much wrong here, I can't even begin :psyduck:

Oh, I guess they're doing a parody of LPs on YouTube by mentioning others vaguely by name in the beginning. Oh? It's not a parody? They're doing this for real? Oh. Ohhhh.

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013

Combat Lobster posted:

Funny enough when I first saw the let's play opinion video, I thought about recommending someone like Chip to him in hopes he would see the better side of LP. Kinda regret not doing that now.:smith:

I remember actually recommending the LP archive to him when he made that video. I think I also recommended Retsupurae as well, though clearly he didn't look up either of those.

When he first posted about doing LPs I was cautiously optimistic, since the video ended with a shot of the N64 controller and I thought they were going the GG route of obscure old titles.

And then my ears went deaf with that intro :suicide:

Wilkin
Mar 15, 2014

I'll'ven't used a lot of contractions in my time.

Gaz-L posted:

And, although it looks like they've obviously been doing it much less time, they've already done CAH twice? Seriously? You couldn't shell out 20 bucks for a Munchkin set?

They probably realized that slowly weeding out the other Grumps and running the show with just Barry and Suzy wasn't working as intended, and wanted to inject a strong dose of familiarity before they try it again with who knows for the next couple episodes.

Also, I haven't seen Suzy's tone-deafness in the theme song addressed. That's the biggest problem of all.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

RSCNyx posted:

The ending to this video makes me sick. Not that the rest of it is great or anything, seeing how he has absolutely nothing of value to say about anything.

The best is he messed up annotations so you can't even click the video to subscribe, view playlists, etc.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

slowbeef posted:

The best is he messed up annotations so you can't even click the video to subscribe, view playlists, etc.

Wow, you're right. That's nothing short of amazing. I mean, around 1,500 videos in, you're bound to screw up at one point or another.

Looking back at it again, I realized he doesn't call them LPs, he calls them, "This Can't Be Real!" I'm...not sure what that's supposed to mean.

EDIT: Looking at the first episode of this thing, he explains what "This Can't Be Real! is. Apparently it's a weekly thing where he plays a game for the first time. Still dunno why it's called that.

He had the nerve to ask people for likes if they didn't like his video, because, "he didn't waste too much of our time". Wow.

RSCNyx fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 18, 2014

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Isn't there some kind of monetization of likes though? Pandering for likes is p lame but at least understandable if the guy is trying to get paid for his videos.

There isn't really a good way to ask for likes

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

GNU Order posted:

Isn't there some kind of monetization of likes though? Pandering for likes is p lame but at least understandable if the guy is trying to get paid for his videos.

Actually, Mr. DJB brought up an acceptable compromise (by way of another video producer he saw, possibly TotalBiscuit), I thought: "If you liked this video, please leave a like or subscribe. If you didn't, please feel free to leave a comment letting me know why."

I sort of like this because it doesn't at least smell like shilling. Maybe it's splitting hairs, I don't know.

Anyway, Likes do help you in YouTube search results. (Interestingly, Dislikes do too.) The theory is that with two identical videos with the same title and content, the one with more views and likes/dislikes will bubble to the top in results. I don't think it's ever been made clear how much each one helps you, though I'd think views matter most, followed by the sum of your Likes/Dislikes.

Subs, to my knowledge, have no discernible advantage besides "YouTube cred". It is possible YouTube factors them in "similar channels" and YouTube does give you a prize for 100k subs and 1M subs. The prizes are commemorative silver and gold play buttons. Retsupurae should reach 100k subs in August-September, so I'll let you know what it's like and what its melt value is.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

GNU Order posted:

It's called Not Doing It. But I imagine they do get much more likes by asking people to actually do it. I know I never remember to actually like videos I like on youtube, unless I'm favoriting them too.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

GNU Order posted:

I don't know for sure, but probably not. I doubt they really give a rat's rear end about how much people liked the video as long as those people saw an ad.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

slowbeef posted:

Subs, to my knowledge, have no discernible advantage besides "YouTube cred". It is possible YouTube factors them in "similar channels" and YouTube does give you a prize for 100k subs and 1M subs. The prizes are commemorative silver and gold play buttons. Retsupurae should reach 100k subs in August-September, so I'll let you know what it's like and what its melt value is.

I'm sure there's no direct effect but I would assume subs are useful as a stable source of likes, views, favorites etc. especially for the video-a-day people. Not all subs are watching all videos sure, but you can bet the people watching every video are subs.

Does YouTube track sub likes/favorites vs non-sub likes/favorites? Or rather is that information available to channel owners

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

Personally, I think saying, "Leave a like if you enjoyed, leave a dislike if you didn't" works really well. Not really begging for likes, or trying to force them from your viewers.

As far as I know, subscriptions have zero effect on anything (aside from fancy play buttons, I guess). Of course, the more subscriptions you have, the more likely you'll have people rating on your videos, and thus the more likely you'll dominate the search function.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

GNU Order posted:

I'm sure there's no direct effect but I would assume subs are useful as a stable source of likes, views, favorites etc. especially for the video-a-day people. Not all subs are watching all videos sure, but you can bet the people watching every video are subs.

I don't know if I'll take that bet. Asking for subs gets you subs, but it doesn't get you views. A lot of people don't actually even use the subscriber feed function. If they like your video, they'll click a button if you ask but they may also shrug and never come back. Hell, I asked people to sub to MegaJose on Retsutalk and people did. I don't know how many of those became regular viewers.

The people who come back and watch day-to-day may even be wholly unfamiliar with the sub feature and just check your channel by bookmark. One of the "BEHIND THE SCENES" tips I got from the big name people we talked to on Retsutalk was to do daily content at a set time. You get people used to checking your channel as part of their daily routine (when they get into work, wake up, leave work, before sleep, etc.) It works too and you can see a lot of humor websites do this so you'll come back and check for new content without being notified.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Huh. YouTube is a weird place.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I subscribe to people I like and sometimes watch their videos when they upload a new one that interests me. I'm a corporate sell out, I know.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Amppelix posted:

It's called Not Doing It. But I imagine they do get much more likes by asking people to actually do it. I know I never remember to actually like videos I like on youtube, unless I'm favoriting them too.

In 2011 when YouTube was transitioning from "video upload place" to "replacement for TV" and they started their partner system, their award shows, they sent out emails to big partners saying "here's some cool tips to increase engagement: at the end of every video, ask your viewers to rate the video 5 stars and click the subscribe button if they liked it"

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

slowbeef posted:

I don't know if I'll take that bet. Asking for subs gets you subs, but it doesn't get you views. A lot of people don't actually even use the subscriber feed function. If they like your video, they'll click a button if you ask but they may also shrug and never come back. Hell, I asked people to sub to MegaJose on Retsutalk and people did. I don't know how many of those became regular viewers.

The people who come back and watch day-to-day may even be wholly unfamiliar with the sub feature and just check your channel by bookmark. One of the "BEHIND THE SCENES" tips I got from the big name people we talked to on Retsutalk was to do daily content at a set time. You get people used to checking your channel as part of their daily routine (when they get into work, wake up, leave work, before sleep, etc.) It works too and you can see a lot of humor websites do this so you'll come back and check for new content without being notified.

They sort of made the subscriber thing useless at least a year ago (it used to be easy to switch between all channels and a particular one with one click and you got about 12 videos on the screen at one time; now it takes a bunch to filter between channels and there's no point anyway since its pretty much identical to the front page - and it sometimes decides to not show you videos from people you've subscribed too! Like I'll use twitter and threads in the lp subforum to see if things update; the youtube subscriber thing is only useful if a video has been updated in the last few hours...

The regular timing thing is true; and if you're pushing out daily content then its easier for you to get into a routine of recording content and uploading it at certain times and its probably easier for your viewers if there was an unofficial time for video releases... I sometimes watch whatever chuggaaconroy does if its a game that I like, and his stuff is usually up at around 11pm UK Time; so because of that it means that I can check once a day rather than needing to check a bunch of times to see if something is finally up!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't like videos I like on YouTube, but like most people, I appreciate positive feedback on the things I've put effort into so I imagine having a bunch of likes on your video makes you feel like you're doing something right and makes you feel good.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
a clever thing that I've seen on youtube videos is people using the like/dislike thing as a voting thing. Because Likes/Dislikes both affect video placement in the same way; then it just puts your video higher up the search rankings. I'm sure I've seen it with LP before but I couldn't find it; the only example off hand is this guy who uploads really interesting old cricket videos who's videos aren't monetised anyway so its less of a thing...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you don't like cricket at all, that probably sucks, but that is genuinely interesting. If you don't like cricket at all, you should probably take a peek just to see the magic Warne could do with a ball. Thanks for the link.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

While we're on Like chat, I have some numbers that I found kinda interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXj7E6dFPwo
Of their 1,466 videos, Game Grumps have only ever directly asked their viewers to Like their videos three times. The first time being three minutes into the above TMNT video, and then their Yoshi's Island and Legend of Mystical Ninja videos that came out later that day. The banners didn't show up due to a loud minority of the fanbase saying they felt it was manipulative.

It worked though, because the numbers on this particular video are nuts.

For comparison, here are the view count/like ratios for Zombies Ate My Neighbour Part 6 (the video immediately before they tried out the like banner),

and Banjo-Kazooie Part 19 (the video immediately after they gave up on the banner).

The like number on the TMNT video even outweighs that of their very first video (Kirby Super Star), which is still one of their most popular.

Same with the first part of their Pokemon Emerald series.

In fact, as far as I can tell, part 20 of their Sonic 06 playthrough is their only standard Let's Play video with more likes. (Their animated videos, the video where Jon leaves and the episode where they played a bunch of Rare games with Grant Kirkhope all have more views and likes.)

TL;DR, Telling an incredibly eager fanbase to like your videos totally brings results, and I care too much about these things.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Subscribing definitely helps me find videos. If I'm kind of bored and just decide to go find something to watch, I can click subscriptions and find the latest videos from my 188 (I had no idea it was so many) subscriptions, all of which are things that I've picked out because they might interest me. Not knowing what I want to do and just clicking over to youtube because why not probably puts me in the minority of users, but people are definitely getting views they might not otherwise because I'm subscribing to them. Ideally you want to be part of someone's routine and something they actively check on, but the sort of people who'll subscribe because someone said to at the end of a video are probably the sort of people who aren't overly committed to that you, but might want to check back. Subscribing gets you on their what to watch/my subscriptions pages, which reminds them you exist. If you're really into a few people or you're following from an external source like SA, subscribing isn't going to do anything really. If you're the sort of person who isn't interested in watching all 749 and counting BoI episodes from NorthernLion but might occasionally watch one when bored, subscribing gets his videos on your youtube front page.

It's probably not a massive help, but given that it's really easy and pretty much universally accepted, it's probably worth reminding people to like and subscribe just because it's going to get your name thrown at them again every so often, which is better than them never finding you again. It's like the User Control Panel of Youtube.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

MooCowlian posted:

It's probably not a massive help, but given that it's really easy and pretty much universally accepted, it's probably worth reminding people to like and subscribe just because it's going to get your name thrown at them again every so often, which is better than them never finding you again. It's like the User Control Panel of Youtube.

It certainly helps, but for the most part I'd agree that it's pretty useless. For example, I have almost 2500 subscribers mostly due to playing Minecraft on a server run by a youtuber with a half-decent following back in 2011. He'd plug all our channels in his Minecraft videos, even if we didn't really do LP stuff. Nice of him, but it led to my subscriber number being incredibly inflated. An average non-SA video gets about 50 views, if I'm lucky. Not that I really care, it's just annoying to have such an inflated count.

The worst part about all this? I STILL loving get messages from random kids asking if I still play Minecraft.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
Just to clear up a few things - it's normal for channels to get 10-20% of their subscribers watching every video. I haven't seen any deviations outside that except for very small channels, or ones that try to switch content (e.g. a Mincraft channel trying to do normal LPs). So obviously more subscribers is a benefit, even if it isn't a one-to-one view ratio. I also think it slightly affects search rankings and how much related/random traffic YT pushes your way, but I only have anecdotal experience to support that.

Likes/dislikes/comments don't give you any money directly, but they do affect your search rankings - so indirectly they do lead to more traffic, views, and money.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

(Edited due to me being dumb and not thinking about spoilers. Thanks for the heads up, ChaosArgate!)

:siren:WARNING: The linked video contains MGS5: Ground Zeroes spoilers. If you haven't played the game yet, be wary of watching (although really with this video that's the least of your concerns).:siren:

This does just about everything wrong.

I, too, should start every video by saying, "I don't have a capture card, but maybe ya'll could donate one?" WINK WINK Also, decides to skip cutscenes and saying, "If you wanted to see it, you should of bought the game."

...Not that you could see them in the first place. It's great that he knows the quality is unacceptable, but by admitting it, it's perfectly fine! How does that even work? My favorite bit, though: He did this for a friend.

RSCNyx fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 20, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RSCNyx posted:

This does just about everything wrong. If you want to do an LP, don't do this.

I, too, should start all of my videos by saying, "I don't have a capture card, but ya'll can donate me one!" WINK WINK Also skips cutscenes and says, "If you wanted to see it, you should of bought the game." What a pro.

I can't get over the fact that people know it looks completely unacceptable by any standards, yet think that admitting it's unacceptable, suddenly makes it okay! My favorite thing, though: He did this for a friend.

There are spoilers for the new Metal Gear in this, just a heads up.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

RSCNyx posted:

It's great that he knows the quality is unacceptable, but by admitting it, it's perfectly fine!

Reminds me of tropey "parodies" where the only joke is to do everything exactly the same as normal, but mug furiously for the camera and go, "LOOK, WE'RE DOING THE THING THEY ALWAYS DO, ISN'T THAT TIRESOME?"

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Is there any good Let's Plays out for Dark Souls 2, Titanfall or Thief yet? Kinda want to check them out but I would prefer not to slog through PDP and his ilk.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

mcclay posted:

Is there any good Let's Plays out for Dark Souls 2, Titanfall or Thief yet? Kinda want to check them out but I would prefer not to slog through PDP and his ilk.

Titanfall doesn't really have a single player. I mean, there is a campaign and there are like little story cutscenes, but it really is just nine specific multiplayer maps and radio conversations.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Lazyfire posted:

Titanfall doesn't really have a single player. I mean, there is a campaign and there are like little story cutscenes, but it really is just nine specific multiplayer maps and radio conversations.

Yeah I know, multiplayer videos are fine. I just don't want to be listening to some face-cam rear end in a top hat yelling about rape and slinging racial slurs everywhere.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Seshoho Cian posted:

TL;DR, Telling an incredibly eager fanbase to like your videos totally brings results, and I care too much about these things.

Why does anyone care about 'likes'?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

mcclay posted:

Yeah I know, multiplayer videos are fine. I just don't want to be listening to some face-cam rear end in a top hat yelling about rape and slinging racial slurs everywhere.

If you just want 30 minute videos to see what the game is like and don't want to just watch the whole series check out Giant Bomb Quicklooks

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Anatharon posted:

Why does anyone care about 'likes'?

Both likes and dislikes push your video up in search results and what not.

If you're asking why I care, I don't know, I just noticed the slight discrepancy and thought it was interesting.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Any good Let's Plays for Dark Souls II? I would watch Northern Lion's but he skips all the dialogue.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

mcclay posted:

Any good Let's Plays for Dark Souls II? I would watch Northern Lion's but he skips all the dialogue.

The game has been out for not enough time for anyone other than Day 1 youtube LP'ers to have done it. I'm airing on the side of no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

mcclay posted:

Wait, what? Why? That sounds like a really lame thing to do.

• Locked thread