Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shif
Aug 12, 2013
Where is the cyber school?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Pensacola Florida!

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
There are people that fail out of the cyber warfare program, at least there's been more than a few army side.

Not that it really means much, but I suppose just don't gently caress around too much on your down time and you should be apples.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

not caring here posted:

There are people that fail out of the cyber warfare program, at least there's been more than a few army side.

Not that it really means much, but I suppose just don't gently caress around too much on your down time and you should be apples.

As an older gent, being payed to go to school is an unbelievable concept and I'd as soon nail my dick to the floor as waste that chance.

Shif
Aug 12, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

As an older gent, being payed to go to school is an unbelievable concept and I'd as soon nail my dick to the floor as waste that chance.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
If you go to the JCAC program down in Pensacola you can actually learn some useful material. You'll spend about 2 weeks per module, and learn the basics of networking, programming, operating systems, etc. It's actually taught by contractors, and as far as I could tell they understood what they were teaching as opposed to just regurgitating from a lesson plan.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Good luck Lingcodkilla. Keep me updated, dude. :)

Shif
Aug 12, 2013
Need to speak with my career planner. I think a lat-move is in order.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

You don't know how relieving this is.

The problem is, the rest of the DOD continues to treat you like a mouth-breathing moron until you wise up enough to get out. Remember the phrase "lowest common denominator."

Shif
Aug 12, 2013

Godholio posted:

The problem is, the rest of the DOD continues to treat you like a mouth-breathing moron until you wise up enough to get out. Remember the phrase "lowest common denominator."

Doesn't surprise me, must be the salary.

An Inquisitive Bean
Mar 15, 2010
I'm just gonna try asking.

24 year old female, undergraduate degree in sociology spec. social services. GPA 3.68 I've always wanted to get my Master's in Social Work but I really can't afford higher education. Long line of Navy folks so I still natively find myself thinking the military is good experience.

I just found out the Health Profession Scholarship Program includes social workers and it would be amazing to be paid to go to school and then be guaranteed a job for three years after.

What I'm wondering is if the military pays for you to go through schooling what are the chances that I would actually be working as a social worker for those three years?

Also how competitive is the HPSP? I'm just wondering if I should start volunteering at additional places or something

I have a buddy in the Navy(nuke) who says that his reasoning for joining was that he was a bad civilian.

Once he told me that something just clicked and I realized that joining the military was a now-or-never thing for me.

Is this crazy? I'm not running away from anything. I just suddenly feel like this is a very viable option for me. It's only three years, right?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

An Inquisitive Bean posted:

It's only three years, right?
Good joke, I laughed a lil.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

I'm just gonna try asking.

24 year old female, undergraduate degree in sociology spec. social services. GPA 3.68 I've always wanted to get my Master's in Social Work but I really can't afford higher education. Long line of Navy folks so I still natively find myself thinking the military is good experience.

I just found out the Health Profession Scholarship Program includes social workers and it would be amazing to be paid to go to school and then be guaranteed a job for three years after.

What I'm wondering is if the military pays for you to go through schooling what are the chances that I would actually be working as a social worker for those three years?

Also how competitive is the HPSP? I'm just wondering if I should start volunteering at additional places or something

I have a buddy in the Navy(nuke) who says that his reasoning for joining was that he was a bad civilian.

Once he told me that something just clicked and I realized that joining the military was a now-or-never thing for me.

Is this crazy? I'm not running away from anything. I just suddenly feel like this is a very viable option for me. It's only three years, right?

I have no experience (and therefore probably shouldn't be answering here) but I'd venture a guess that most goons are fairly unfamiliar with the HPSP (Fellow sociology major HI! But I'm doubling with psych and going into MFT instead.) I'm using my GI bill to go to grad school. (provided I can get in.) :ohdear:

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I was speaking to one of my docs, she was a 1LT doing her, I dunno, fuckin' internship or something, and she tried to smile about it but I gather that she was pretty unimpressed with army life and was going to jump loving ship as soon as possible. I dunno whether it was so many people coming in for the exact same, stupid, preventable injuries over and over again, the shitbags with no real injuries trying to get out of a ruck march or get a disability rating, or the army stupid with it's horribly inept information systems. She said that the HPSP was a good option, was a loving crazy schedule, but got poo poo happening and the army paid for a lot of poo poo.

It really looked like she regretted her decision pretty hard though.

I have no more details than my vague anecdote, sorry.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's not 3 years, it's 8 in one form or another (some will probably be IRR time, but you'll be active for 4-6 depending on the terms of your program).

An Inquisitive Bean
Mar 15, 2010

poopkitty posted:

I have no experience (and therefore probably shouldn't be answering here) but I'd venture a guess that most goons are fairly unfamiliar with the HPSP (Fellow sociology major HI! But I'm doubling with psych and going into MFT instead.) I'm using my GI bill to go to grad school. (provided I can get in.) :ohdear:

Counselors are always needed so that's good that you're getting your MFT.

not caring here posted:

I was speaking to one of my docs, she was a 1LT doing her, I dunno, fuckin' internship or something, and she tried to smile about it but I gather that she was pretty unimpressed with army life and was going to jump loving ship as soon as possible. I dunno whether it was so many people coming in for the exact same, stupid, preventable injuries over and over again, the shitbags with no real injuries trying to get out of a ruck march or get a disability rating, or the army stupid with it's horribly inept information systems. She said that the HPSP was a good option, was a loving crazy schedule, but got poo poo happening and the army paid for a lot of poo poo.

It really looked like she regretted her decision pretty hard though.

I have no more details than my vague anecdote, sorry.

She was probably in her residency training. I've heard that most doctors deal with the same thing (preventable injuries, repetitive uneducated patients) during civilian residency also. Most social work programs don't really give you a choice of what clinics you do your internships at anyways. Her experience doesn't sound so bad though. While MSW programs cost way less then a doctorate social workers get paid alot less too so even having a little debt while working in your field can be hard.

I guess what I'm thinking is that getting a degree in adult mental health then spending the next three years working with individuals with PTSD and drug and alcohol issues would be a great way to break into the field.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know an AF reservist who's in as a mental health counselor. He's not actually a doctor, though, so he's enlisted scum. But so far he hasn't had a bad time, and from what I've heard most medical jobs at least in the AF are fairly laid back and chill.

An Inquisitive Bean
Mar 15, 2010

Godholio posted:

It's not 3 years, it's 8 in one form or another (some will probably be IRR time, but you'll be active for 4-6 depending on the terms of your program).

Here's the break down from what I understand.

ROTC during the two year schooling for a MSW.
1 internship year at a VA
then three years of active duty where they tell you where to go and what to do.

So 6 years overall. 3 years in reserve, 3 years active.

An Inquisitive Bean
Mar 15, 2010

powerful weedlock posted:

I know an AF reservist who's in as a mental health counselor. He's not actually a doctor, though, so he's enlisted scum. But so far he hasn't had a bad time, and from what I've heard most medical jobs at least in the AF are fairly laid back and chill.

Yeah, deciding to focus on which branch is tricky.

I was thinking going AF, mostly because the idea of drone pilots getting PTSD is really interesting.

Though I believe Army has the most need for mental health social workers.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Yeah, deciding to focus on which branch is tricky.

I was thinking going AF, mostly because the idea of drone pilots getting PTSD is really interesting.

Though I believe Army has the most need for mental health social workers.

Go Navy and try to get on with a USMC billet. They need conscientious and capable mental health social workers that give a gently caress about their guys. I'm not sure if the USMC has their own Social Workers or if it's only Navy officers in USMC billets, so that's why I said navy. Double check though, obviously.

Some of the worst horror stories about how bad the military mental health system is comes out of the Army just because of it's shear size, but don't let the USMC fool you- what they lack in pure numbers they make up for in how thoroughly they gently caress up peoples lives when given an opportunity.

An Inquisitive Bean
Mar 15, 2010

Obama Africanus posted:

Go Navy and try to get on with a USMC billet. They need conscientious and capable mental health social workers that give a gently caress about their guys. I'm not sure if the USMC has their own Social Workers or if it's only Navy officers in USMC billets, so that's why I said navy. Double check though, obviously.

Some of the worst horror stories about how bad the military mental health system is comes out of the Army just because of it's shear size, but don't let the USMC fool you- what they lack in pure numbers they make up for in how thoroughly they gently caress up peoples lives when given an opportunity.

I have thought about going into the Navy just because I come from a long line of Navy folks. My one reservation about the Navy is the idea of working on the carriers though. I don’t know how I feel about being indoors for 6 months at a time.

I know it sounds lame but I would like having the option of sitting in the sun once and while.

I probably should research ship life before crossing them off completely though.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

I have thought about going into the Navy just because I come from a long line of Navy folks. My one reservation about the Navy is the idea of working on the carriers though. I don’t know how I feel about being indoors for 6 months at a time.

I know it sounds lame but I would like having the option of sitting in the sun once and while.

I probably should research ship life before crossing them off completely though.

You can go on deck when operations aren't going, plenty of port calls, even do PT sometimes on deck. If anything your fear is only valid for submarine duty, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any shrinks on subs. Though there probably should be

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Um, carriers don't submerge. You can go topside whenever flight ops aren't happening and at least look out the hanger doors at other times.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

With the Navy you'd likely also end up with a shore command or green side orders on a USMC base or something.

The way it would go is that once youre commissioned, you're Navy. We form the medical side for the Marines. You'd probably even end up working with some of the substance abuse programs too.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Quit bein' a bitch and just admit you don't want to deploy and preferably would like to get a sweet navy gig at home and be a backyard sailor.

Then nut up, join up with a degree, enlist instead of going the officer accession route (because we're obv all full of poo poo, plus you already have an OCS packet ready you just have to turn it in after boot), and hang out here.

An Inquisitive Bean
Mar 15, 2010

Booblord Zagats posted:

You can go on deck when operations aren't going, plenty of port calls, even do PT sometimes on deck.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Um, carriers don't submerge. You can go topside whenever flight ops aren't happening and at least look out the hanger doors at other times.

Good to know that my fear was unfounded.

Pandasmores posted:

With the Navy you'd likely also end up with a shore command or green side orders on a USMC base or something.

The way it would go is that once you're commissioned, you're Navy. We form the medical side for the Marines. You'd probably even end up working with some of the substance abuse programs too.

Now that sounds really interesting.
Thanks guys!

I reached out to both Navy and AF recruits a few days ago. Haven't head anything from Navy yet even though I called twice. AF already sending me paper work. I guess I have to keep in mind demand for each branch too.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Now that sounds really interesting.
Thanks guys!

I reached out to both Navy and AF recruits a few days ago. Haven't head anything from Navy yet even though I called twice. AF already sending me paper work. I guess I have to keep in mind demand for each branch too.

Are you talking to officer recruiters or enlisted recruiters? Biiiiig difference, and dont listen to the troll that said enlist because you have an OCS package lol.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Pandasmores posted:

Are you talking to officer recruiters or enlisted recruiters? Biiiiig difference, and dont listen to the troll that said enlist because you have an OCS package lol.

I'm not trolling!

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

krispykremessuck posted:

I'm not trolling!

hes an alcoholic troll dont take the trollbait...

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

genderstomper58 posted:

hes an alcoholic troll dont take the trollbait...

rude!!!!!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Pandasmores posted:

I will never forget this random drunk guy who started talking to me and a buddy at a bar. Apparently he was going to be an officer in the Air Force but his recruiter lied to him. He thought he was going to OTS until he arrived at Lackland for basic, because his degree was from an unaccredited school. :stare:

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Holy :lol:

An Inquisitive Bean
Mar 15, 2010

Pandasmores posted:

Yes I'm talking to officer recruiters. At least I know for sure for the AF. If I've been calling enlisted Naval recruiters that makes sense why they haven't called me back.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Godholio posted:

I will never forget this random drunk guy who started talking to me and a buddy at a bar. Apparently he was going to be an officer in the Air Force but his recruiter lied to him. He thought he was going to OTS until he arrived at Lackland for basic, because his degree was from an unaccredited school. :stare:

Jesus CHRIST

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

Please tell me he was old enough to have gone through back when OTS was actually at Lackland, because that would be doubly hilarious.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Heh..., no he was mid to late 20s I'd say. But he was loving retarded, we knew that before he even got to that story.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Postin' in my own thread.

Can an illegal immigrant join the military? Dude said he'd tried but they told him no. I thought service = citizenship was a thing?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

invision posted:

Postin' in my own thread.

Can an illegal immigrant join the military? Dude said he'd tried but they told him no. I thought service = citizenship was a thing?

You have to be a US citizen or a permanent resident in order to be eligible to enlist in the US Military. You must be a US citizen in order to become a commissioned officer.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Hekk posted:

You have to be a US citizen or a permanent resident in order to be eligible to enlist in the US Military. You must be a US citizen in order to become a commissioned officer.

So what makes a person a "permanent resident"? Being here on a visa or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

invision posted:

So what makes a person a "permanent resident"? Being here on a visa or something?

It's an immigration status. Permanent residents have green cards and are entitled to most rights a citizen has except voting, being elected to office, working federal jobs (except military), or sponsoring family members for immigration.

• Locked thread