Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Bulma also was the only person in the entire universe to crack the secret of time travel. That includes God.

Glass ceiling or not, being the smartest person EVER is a good accomplishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Mister Roboto posted:

Bulma also was the only person in the entire universe to crack the secret of time travel. That includes God.

Glass ceiling or not, being the smartest person EVER is a good accomplishment.

Honestly Bulma saved the universe's collective asses more often than people give her credit for.

I mean it's not like Krillin and Gohan could have made it to Namek by themselves.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Silver2195 posted:

[*]The way the "water of the gods" is described makes it sound like it made Goku as strong as he could ever be, but his training with God almost immediately afterwards made him stronger than that. Am I missing something here?
[*]Chi-Chi lost to Goku quite decisively, but she was strong enough to make it through the preliminaries. Somehow I suspect that's as cool as Toriyama will ever allow her to be.[/list]

Shonen fighting manga never stop having more and more made up powerups, so that's normal. Also, a unique trait of the Saiyans is that they CAN keep getting stronger and stronger, which is what gives them the edge.

Toriyama has admitted he can't write relationships or female characters. So Chi-Chi becoming a nagging housewife is a bit of a cliche, but honestly isn't far off from what was probably his personal experiences in Japanese culture. And, this is not an attempt to be sexist, but young women changing their interests when they get married and raise a family is...pretty normal. Think about all your nerd friends who probably married a nerd girl, and the days of playing X video game together when you were 19/20 start to become way less of a priority to the adult world of raising kids.

crankdatbatman posted:

I've never seen Cooler's Revenge, but his fifth form kind of irks me. It's established that Freeza's fourth form is his 'true' form, right? Unlike the rest of the villains in DBZ, it's established Freeza's transformations are power downs instead of power ups. So why does Cooler have a fifth form that is more powerful than his fourth? Is he basically a super Cooler in the fifth form? I'm asking because I've never seen it and maybe they explain it in the movie, but that tidbit never really sat well with me since it's a direct contradiction to Freeza's tranformations.

It IS a contradiction, but it isn't as well. Toriyama designed Cooler 5:

The idea probably came from the director who didn't really understand that Frieza's transformations were actually the reverse of the norm.

However, since the author himself approved it, this means it's legit. Which means the fans have to accept it. So Shonen Jump came up with the explanation that Cooler doesn't NEED the earlier forms as he can control his power, unlike Freeza. This meant that he was able to focus his race's morphing powers into something greater.

Not a contradiction if you look at it that way.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I've always looked at it that Freeza's race doesn't have a "natural" or "true" form. Rather they mutate across a spectrum based on what it needed in a given scenario or environment. Meaning numbering their forms one through final wouldn't be entirely necessary. If that is the case then it's not weird that Cooler had a form beyond Freeza's "final" form and that form likely isn't even the "final" form of their race. They may not even have a "final" form. They aren't transformations like the Super Saiyan, they're mutations to adapt to higher and lower power levels.

That's just my head-canon though. I think way too hard about this sort of thing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Much better-written shounen than Dragon Ball have had weak female casts. (looking at you, Rurouni Kenshin) DBZ's lack of female fighters isn't a huge problem for me.

We'll always have that time Eighteen broke Vegeta's arm. Come on guys, don't lie, it was the best thing ever.

Vegeta has cried like a bitch and eaten more dirt than Yamcha ever did.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

NikkolasKing posted:

Much better-written shounen than Dragon Ball have had weak female casts. (looking at you, Rurouni Kenshin) DBZ's lack of female fighters isn't a huge problem for me.

We'll always have that time Eighteen broke Vegeta's arm. Come on guys, don't lie, it was the best thing ever.

Vegeta has cried like a bitch and eaten more dirt than Yamcha ever did.

Yea, that was definitely the "oh poo poo" moment in the series story wise.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mister Roboto posted:

Toriyama has admitted he can't write relationships or female characters. So Chi-Chi becoming a nagging housewife is a bit of a cliche, but honestly isn't far off from what was probably his personal experiences in Japanese culture. And, this is not an attempt to be sexist, but young women changing their interests when they get married and raise a family is...pretty normal. Think about all your nerd friends who probably married a nerd girl, and the days of playing X video game together when you were 19/20 start to become way less of a priority to the adult world of raising kids.

I'm only 21, so I can't really relate. I think I understand what you're getting at, though.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

NikkolasKing posted:

Much better-written shounen than Dragon Ball have had weak female casts. (looking at you, Rurouni Kenshin)

Hey Kaoru did a cool thing one time and uhhh oh I can't even try to defend this poo poo. Kenshin is my favorite shounen but man oh man did it suck at that. :smith:

It got a little better in Watsuki's next manga, at least.

Esroc posted:

I've always looked at it that Freeza's race doesn't have a "natural" or "true" form. Rather they mutate across a spectrum based on what it needed in a given scenario or environment. Meaning numbering their forms one through final wouldn't be entirely necessary. If that is the case then it's not weird that Cooler had a form beyond Freeza's "final" form and that form likely isn't even the "final" form of their race. They may not even have a "final" form. They aren't transformations like the Super Saiyan, they're mutations to adapt to higher and lower power levels.

That's just my head-canon though. I think way too hard about this sort of thing.

I like calling him Super Cooler better. :colbert:

So does that mean Cooler was the most badass one in his family? He certainly seemed capable of putting up more of a fight against Goku than his dad or brother did against Trunks. :v:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

VJeff posted:

Hey Kaoru did a cool thing one time and uhhh oh I can't even try to defend this poo poo. Kenshin is my favorite shounen but man oh man did it suck at that. :smith:

Aw, man, Ruroni Kenshin. That poo poo was so good in some ways and so bad in others.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

VJeff posted:

So does that mean Cooler was the most badass one in his family? He certainly seemed capable of putting up more of a fight against Goku than his dad or brother did against Trunks. :v:

Nah. If anything, before his robot upgrade, Cooler was weaker than Freeza. Even in his new form. Regardless of what official literature claims.

The series established that Freeza's 4th form at 100% power, while still no real match against a Super Saiyan, could still at least put up a fight. Cooler in his own 4th form fought Base Goku to a draw and had to transform to a new 5th form to gain the upper hand. But then Goku goes SSj and just destroys him.

Even if we accept that Goku was just messing around during the 100% 4th Form Freeza fight, and could have ended Freeza anytime he wanted, that still places Cooler's 5th form roughly in the same league as Freeza's 4th.

Thus, based on what we actually witness in the show and movie, at best Cooler is equal to 4th Form Freeza while using his 5th Form. Meaning he had to "discover a new form" just to match Freeza. And even then some evidence suggests Freeza still had the edge. This is based on what is actually seen, not what is claimed via dialogue.

In the end, it's pretty obvious to me that Freeza was stronger and if he had achieved his own 5th Form he'd of walked all over Cooler like it wasn't no thang.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 16, 2014

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Well, there's also the possibility that Goku got way stronger than he was when he fought Freeza. It was a year or two after that, and Goku manages to train even when he's lost in space.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Mister Roboto posted:

Well, there's also the possibility that Goku got way stronger than he was when he fought Freeza. It was a year or two after that, and Goku manages to train even when he's lost in space.

There's also the fact that despite the rear end-beating he was delivering to Frieza, he seemed pretty hosed up when he got to Yardrat so he probably got a zenkai out of the ordeal.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

WhiffleballDude posted:

There's also the fact that despite the rear end-beating he was delivering to Frieza, he seemed pretty hosed up when he got to Yardrat so he probably got a zenkai out of the ordeal.

Yeah, one thing about Goku is that he'll seemingly go full-strength all the way to the end and then, when he can stop, he'll pretty much collapse.

When he beat Coola, he pretty much was helpless--Salza would have killed all three of them if not for Piccolo.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

WhiffleballDude posted:

Doesn't he get a zenkai during the movie where Cooler shows up too?

Hahaha, what a scam that ability is. Even as kid I remember noticing how much they exploited that in the Namek saga.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

You know, I've always wondered why and how they would genetically evolve the ability to become stronger after almost dying.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

You know, I've always wondered why and how they would genetically evolve the ability to become stronger after almost dying.

As opposed to evolving the ability to generate 300 tonnes of ape mass?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

VJeff posted:

Doesn't he get a zenkai during the movie where Cooler shows up too?

Hahaha, what a scam that ability is. Even as kid I remember noticing how much they exploited that in the Namek saga.

I thought it was great how vegeta thought to exploit dende's healing ability to try and get a power up.

Although the wound couldn't be self inflicted, I guess the Sayian body could somehow tell the difference :shrug:

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Monaghan posted:

I thought it was great how vegeta thought to exploit dende's healing ability to try and get a power up.

Although the wound couldn't be self inflicted, I guess the Sayian body could somehow tell the difference :shrug:

Same reason why it's hard to tickle yourself or give yourself a massage.

becrumbac
Apr 25, 2012
I always liked to imagine the Sayians were actually mutant humans created by aliens :tinfoil:. It makes more sense than anything else.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Mister Roboto posted:

Moon magic, obviously.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

It really irks me that beside Vegeta's little exploit of that trait on Namek, no one really tried to do this whole almost-die-to-gain-more-power thing. When they first heard Future Trunks' story, the most sensible thing to do was for Vegeta and Goku just bash each other in the head and then eat senzu beans till they can no longer fit through the doors.

It COULD be explained by saiyans' arrogance and thirst for challenge but at least someone could've proposed that idea.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Mister Roboto posted:

Evolution is a liberal lie created by evil atheists who deny the gods in the Dragonball universe.

Clearly special creation is the origin of all the species.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

PiedPiper posted:

It really irks me that beside Vegeta's little exploit of that trait on Namek, no one really tried to do this whole almost-die-to-gain-more-power thing. When they first heard Future Trunks' story, the most sensible thing to do was for Vegeta and Goku just bash each other in the head and then eat senzu beans till they can no longer fit through the doors.

It COULD be explained by saiyans' arrogance and thirst for challenge but at least someone could've proposed that idea.

See there are a couple of problems with that theory. Vegeta was doing this on Namek because he was still a ruthless, cold-blooded killer with ambitions for immortality and absolute power. The Ginyus and Frieza were stronger than him and he wasn't trying to prove anything so he had no shame in making full use of zenkais to scrape by and deal with the assholes standing between him and immortality. Once Goku becomes a Super Saiyan, his motivations change to just surpassing Goku, and since Goku got to that level mostly on his own merits, it's possible Vegeta decided to try and do the same. It's also possible zenkais give diminishing returns and once you get to Super Saiyan level the boost isn't significant enough to be worth nearly dying over and over.

Goku's too much of a good sport to resort to that kind of tactic and Vegeta's too proud after Namek. The half-saiyans just don't care enough.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

WhiffleballDude posted:

Goku's too much of a good sport to resort to that kind of tactic and Vegeta's too proud after Namek. The half-saiyans just don't care enough.

Does it even work on the half saiyans?

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

There was a fan theory that zenkai doesn't even work after attaining SSJ status. And don't get me wrong, it'd be very boring to see our protagonist abusing their natural traits to gain an easy upper hand, it's just that it doesn't even get mentioned, much less outright proposed.

Vegeta's crazy training is still my favourite bit from anime so I can't be mad it all happened the way it did.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like how the dragonball wiki points out Vegeta's power level "strangely" went from 30,000 to 530,000 due to zenkai

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

VJeff posted:

When I was reading the manga of Rurouni Kenshin, it struck me that he saw Kaoru as a really strong female character, just that she was vastly outshined by the rest of the cast who were the protagonists and their anti-thesis, but he also felt remorse at not being able to show just how strong she was when writing it originally.

He did allow her to completely disable her opponent with just the hilt of her blade though, which is really badass.

It was a lot worse with the anime-only content I guess most of you mean when you reference Kenshin, where she was basically a damsel in distress.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

PiedPiper posted:

It went by the wayside along with the Giant Monkey form. Toriyama got bored of the idea and moved on, let the fans/Shonen Jump explain why it no longer was used.

Caros
May 14, 2008

PiedPiper posted:

There was a fan theory that zenkai doesn't even work after attaining SSJ status. And don't get me wrong, it'd be very boring to see our protagonist abusing their natural traits to gain an easy upper hand, it's just that it doesn't even get mentioned, much less outright proposed.

Vegeta's crazy training is still my favourite bit from anime so I can't be mad it all happened the way it did.

The only Zenkai I can remember happening after Vegeta's healing abuse (or Goku's heal tank depending on your point of view) was actually to Cell who came back stronger after his self destruct.

quote:

When I was reading the manga of Rurouni Kenshin, it struck me that he saw Kaoru as a really strong female character, just that she was vastly outshined by the rest of the cast who were the protagonists and their anti-thesis, but he also felt remorse at not being able to show just how strong she was when writing it originally.

He did allow her to completely disable her opponent with just the hilt of her blade though, which is really badass.

Yeah, the problem with Kaoru and women in general in Rurouni Kenshin is that the author had a habit of introducing 'strong' female characters who were powerful in comparison to regular people, but massively underpowered compared to the shonen villains they faced.

When fighting someone who wasn't a superpowered burn victim, legendary assassin or 25 foot giant Kaoru did pretty good. She straight up kneecapped one of the sub villains, which was harsh.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Caros posted:

The only Zenkai I can remember happening after Vegeta's healing abuse (or Goku's heal tank depending on your point of view) was actually to Cell who came back stronger after his self destruct.

Yeah, and he learned Instant Transmission, too! Plus he regenerated from basically nothing, that was a huge BS moment.

I remember that one fan once proposed that Cell saga should have taken place after Buu saga - then Cell's uncanny regeneration could've been explained by having his DNA spliced with Buu's. There would be quite a lot of logistical problems, sure, but hey, a man can dream.

Speaking of which, I know there is some vitriol for Buu saga, but what do you personally make of it? What would you want to be altered? What scenes/characters were your (least) favourite?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Mordaedil posted:

It was a lot worse with the anime-only content I guess most of you mean when you reference Kenshin, where she was basically a damsel in distress.

Yeah, he outright said in the liner notes once that Kaoru was supposed to be one of the strongest swordsman in Japan or something but compared to dudes like Kenshin and Shishio...yeah.

She did get to break a giant loving scythe with a wooden sword and then kneecap a dude with what was left of it though, that was the best. :swoon:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

PiedPiper posted:

Speaking of which, I know there is some vitriol for Buu saga, but what do you personally make of it? What would you want to be altered? What scenes/characters were your (least) favourite?

Removing the entire scene where Gohan can't catch an earring even though he is one of the strongest and fastest people I. The world?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Removing the entire scene where Gohan can't catch an earring even though he is one of the strongest and fastest people I. The world?

At that point he is the strongest in the world and doesn't do crap.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Boo Saga is pretty cool, imo. The only things I'd probably change:

-Change Goten's hair so that it doesn't look exactly like Goku's.
-Make it so that neither Goten nor Trunks can become Super Saiyans; they can only become a Super Saiyan as Gotenks
-Give Piccolo a slightly larger role as a fighter, allow him to make one more good account of himself before the series ends
-Change Boo's character so that he doesn't have such insane regeneration powers and he doesn't absorb people. He's too much like Cell in that sense. He's just a rubbery magic monster that turns people into candy and is scarily childlike.

But other than that I love the Boo Saga. I like how it brings back a lot of the humor and zany wackiness, since the Cell Saga was so super serial and melodramatic. I also like all of the mystical fantasy elements with the Kaioshin, the allusions to the "demon realm" that Dabura comes from, Babidi's magic, etc.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'd switch it around so Goku didn't come back at all, but then we'd lose out on the Goku vs Majin Vegeta fight and that would sort of suck.

Along with the "Buu is just rubbery and not a super absorbing regeneration monster" thing, I'd want it to go like this: Gotenks keeps Buu held down for awhile, going super saiyan 3 to defeat Super Buu, and then Mystic Gohan comes to help fight when Super Buu somehow transforms into Kid Buu.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Kid Buu is way weaker than Super Buu though.

The only change I'd want is Gohan being the Great Saiyaman the entire time.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

Kid Buu is way weaker than Super Buu though.

I think Kid Buu is about on par with original Super Buu but weaker than the versions that absorbed Gotenks and Gohan.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think Kid Buu is stronger just because he has absolute no limits and is infinitely more aggressive.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

WhiffleballDude posted:

I think Kid Buu is about on par with original Super Buu but weaker than the versions that absorbed Gotenks and Gohan.

He isn't even close. Kid Buu is Buu before he absorbed anyone at all. Super Buu is Buu after absorbing hundreds of things over time. This is kind of basic math.

The danger with Kid Buu was that it was mindless, world-destroyingly powerful chaos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Kid Buu is considerably weaker, but far more dangerous simply because he gives no fucks and just exists to destroy everything in his path.

• Locked thread