Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

PleasureKevin posted:

the captain said good night to ground control and turned to his co-pilot, "sorry, friend, but this flight is not going to it's scheduled destination. I'm taking over." as the pilot began to turn the plan around, the controls gave out. the faint smell of burning electronics creeped over the two pilots. a device had been programmed to burn through the control wires mid-flight, taking control away from the captain patching it in through a radio control device. a voice came over the headsets, "greetings malaysian pilot men. this is iran. we are taking control over this flight by remote control. it's to do a 9/11 type thing. hahahaha." the pilot began to macguyver the strange electronic radio controls he found beneath the control panel. "hand me that bobble-head on the dash, co-pilot, i will use the spring inside it to--". the co-pilot interrupted, "no. i'm afraid the two of you aren't the only ones with plans for this plane. i'm really suicidal and i'm doing to crash it into the water to die." and with that he lunged for the captains neck, tiger-style. the cabin's door flung open amidst the scuffle. the men who came through wielded seat-belt extensions like nun-chuks, "hello irish. i'm the captain now. we go to america," said one. hardly anyone noticed as two well-tanned women in cowboy hats entered the cockpit behind them, "blow jobs, boys?"

another case solved - good job guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL ON PZONES
Oct 13, 2013

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

China has too many people already.

New theory: china has given up on the one child policy and will focus on making airliners full of chinese people disappear.

Chinese use a van to disappear people.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

My best guess is a hijacking in which one of the pilots are in all likelihood killed in the takeover. The remaining pilot is demanded to reroute to whatever place the hijackers want to go to. In the middle of the night however, you can't exactly determine where you are by looking out the window so the pilot just turned back and headed south hoping to come up with an idea of what to do and to try to stay close to Malaysia. Eventually the hijackers figure out what he's doing, take over and attempt to fly the plane to wherever they want to go. It runs out of fuel and crashes into the Indian Ocean.

I don't know, I haven't followed the story that closely, how stupid is this theory?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Macintosh posted:

My best guess is a hijacking in which one of the pilots are in all likelihood killed in the takeover. The remaining pilot is demanded to reroute to whatever place the hijackers want to go to. In the middle of the night however, you can't exactly determine where you are so the pilot just turned back and headed south hoping to come up with an idea of what to do and to try to stay close to Malaysia. Eventually the hijackers figure out what he's doing, take over and attempt to fly the plane to wherever they want to go. It runs out of fuel and crashes into the Indian Ocean.

I don't know, I haven't followed the story that closely, how stupid is this theory?

I think you can determine where you are going using the plane's navigational equipment, even at night, I could be wrong.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

I think you can determine where you are going using the plane's navigational equipment, even at night, I could be wrong.

I'm just assuming that the hijackers are inexperienced in aviation and just assume he's doing as told.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I want to read a good, like, ten thousand or twenty thousand word article when this is all over about all the good that came out of this. GQ or Esquire or something. Hopefully written by Tom Junod about like, a Chinese boy who makes it big because his boss got wiped out, or a man at Boeing who realizes what exactly went wrong on the plane and helps figure out where it is is given a bonus and buys a house for his mama or malaysian woman who throws off the shackles of extremism after her husband hijacked the plane and starts a movement that really loving rocks and rolls creating like a beautiful world change back to those photos you see of Afghanistan and Iran in the '70's with ladies in baggy pants and track tops looking sleek and sexy and fully educated. Or the one guy who makes up conspiracies, this white bearded Merlin fucker, climbs finally into his womb and that's it, like, there's a few conspiracies hanging around, JFK and 911 but that's it, no more, and the world is without poor hypothesis forever. I dunno, but I would definitely save the article to pocket and read it in a public toilet somewhere with my headphones in so I don't have to listen to the guy next door give in & go w/ his flatulence.

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

China has too many people already.

New theory: china has given up on the one child policy and will focus on making airliners full of chinese people disappear.

but these are middle class Chinese who are valuable to the country not poor, dirt encrusted peasants

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

There's still no evidence that the ACAS and transponder were switched off. Could've just been a fire...

You've got a heap of people reaching different conclusions based on the same information, which is fairly predictable.

The assumption that the communications equipment was deliberately turned off is based partly on the confirmed (by radar) behaviour of the plane - the course changes and the altitude changes.

There's no logical reason why a 777 would climb to 45,000 feet (I assume alarms would be going off everywhere as it's not approved to fly at that altitude).

If the pilots changed course because of some problem with the aircraft, then the absence of any indication from the pilots that something was wrong makes little sense.

Any one thing on it's own doesn't count for a lot in this case. It's the combination of unexplained things which are leading to weird and wonderful theories. That no evidence has yet been found which establishes this is a simple airline crash or pilot suicide doesn't mean it isn't.

Perfect storms of circumstance suggesting intentional acts have happened in the past (Union Carbide disaster in Bhopal is a good example - it was a perfect storm of negligence, even though you'd expect such an event to be the result of sabotage) and will happen again, but until the truth is established conspiracy theories will flourish.

Things which appear incredibly significant right now may turn out to be nothing more than coincidence.

quote:

If you're equipment isn't working, though, you can't even tell whether or not the plane is upside down at night if you're over water away from visual cues. From what the "experts" have said, there's no way to know whether or not the plane's Flight Management System was working.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 16, 2014

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

things i've learned from this thread so far:

don't get on a plane with a malaysian pilot

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

samizdat posted:

I feel like I am a nutjob for even considering the possibility that somebody stole a plane and took it to Iran (sure, they're embargoed but clearly they've had ways of getting things that don't involve stealing planes), but what else exactly is left? The official story is that it didn't crash, it flew for several hours with a last ping in a certain area, and the plane's sophisticated equipment was tampered with in just the right way.

What if the flight path was actually lower and managed to cut over the ocean from India and up into Iran without hitting Pakistan or Afghanistan?

Do you have a source that says the plane didn't crash? All I've seen so far says that the prime minister says the actions of the plane were deliberate. That doesn't mean it was hijacked and it doesn't rule out pilot error and/or instrument malfunction resulting in a crash.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Macintosh posted:

I'm just assuming that the hijackers are inexperienced in aviation and just assume he's doing as told.

Why would he turn off the transponders then. He could have just pretended to do that, left them on and just told them he turned it all off. They wouldn't know if they aren't experts.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011

Zochness posted:

Saw some misinformation concerning this, I am an air traffic controller, with PRIMARY radar there is no noticeable difference between the radar return (blip) of a large commercial aircraft or a small general aviation aircraft.

Maybe this is true in terms of information displayed to ATC. But I guarantee the people looking at military radar are looking at the radar cross section. A 777 and a Cessna look nothing alike in terms of the actual radar return. This is probably how they concluded that what was being picked up on primary radar was in fact MH370

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The Rage posted:

things i've learned from this thread so far:

don't get on a plane with a malaysian pilot

what if he was born and raised in malaysia but looks like he wasnt

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

what if he was born and raised in malaysia but looks like he wasnt

thats racist

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Wandle Cax posted:

Why would he turn off the transponders then. He could have just pretended to do that, left them on and just told them he turned it all off. They wouldn't know if they aren't experts.

You don't need to be an expert. You'd only need to know what the control looks like. They showed the cockpit of a 777 on last night's news and it's very obvious when the transponder is switched off (probably because you want pilot's to notice if it's turned off accidentally).

The 9/11 hijackers weren't aviation experts, but they knew how to turn off transponders.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 16, 2014

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?
Have they actually released the cargo manifest anywhere? At this point I'm expecting to see <REDACTED> somewhere in it.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the pilot is spelling out "anwar ibrahim 4 prez" in chem-trails.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
I found the plane

edit: it wasn't the plane

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Edward Snowden was on that plane and was subsequently shot out of the sky. RIP passengers.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Wandle Cax posted:

Back when I was a junior sailor we used to have a running bet that the helmsman (steering guy) could turn the ship around 360 degrees in the middle of the night without the officer of the deck knowing. Obviously the quartermaster had to be either in on it, asleep or really really dumb. Sometimes it happened, sometimes the Officer of the Deck would realize "hey, we're like, 170 degrees off course".

What I'm saying is that if a dumb loving squid could fool an officer who was trained to see what was going on, a couple of experienced pilots could certainly do the same.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
It doesn't matter anyway because the pilot was probably in on it.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I get that. Was just sayin'.

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)

BlueChocolate
Jan 4, 2014

SweetKarma posted:

Edward Snowden was on that plane and was subsequently shot out of the sky. RIP passengers.

he already released everything he knows, what would they gain by killing him other than martyring him

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Aha..

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Disconnecticus posted:

Have they actually released the cargo manifest anywhere? At this point I'm expecting to see <REDACTED> somewhere in it.

The only thing Iran would want/need would be these (B61's). Slightly more likely than the meteor theory.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Ahahaha, the daily express is saying it may have been hijacked using a cellphone.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Malaysian police say the pilot had no terror ties.

http://themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/report-police-clears-mh370-pilot-of-terror-links

EDIT: India has put the search on hold at the request of Malyasia.

quote:

"It's more of a pause," said Commander Babu, a spokesman for the country's Eastern Naval Command.

"The Malaysian authorities are reassessing the situation. They will figure whether they need to shift the area of search."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/16/malaysia-airlines-india-idUSL6N0MD00X20140316

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 16, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Two decades of Islamophobia driven by the false flag of the century, the opiate in the mix is seductively obvious - ‘pilot suicide.’ Observation. A basic design principle:- A workable design comprise elements that relate or are logically positioned to form a working structure. Therefore, an element alien to the equation must follow a failed design. It leaves no other route. A bicycle is a case in point. The working structure fails if, say, a rope replaces the chain. Using the bicycle analogy, ‘pilot suicide’ only works if there were medical records to show that the pilot was suicidal or if there is indication that he is radicalized by dogma and, notwithstanding the home-made simulator he indulges at home, if one element is found wanting, you have a failed design.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Lolie posted:

The assumption that the communications equipment was deliberately turned off is based partly on the confirmed (by radar) behaviour of the plane - the course changes and the altitude changes.

If the pilots changed course because of some problem with the aircraft, then the absence of any indication from the pilots that something was wrong makes little sense.

According to CNN (I haven't checked any other sources), some of the equipment was turned off before the pilot said goodnight to Malaysia and that everything was fine.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

PleasureKevin posted:

the captain said good night to ground control and turned to his co-pilot, "sorry, friend, but this flight is not going to it's scheduled destination. I'm taking over." as the pilot began to turn the plan around, the controls gave out. the faint smell of burning electronics creeped over the two pilots. a device had been programmed to burn through the control wires mid-flight, taking control away from the captain patching it in through a radio control device. a voice came over the headsets, "greetings malaysian pilot men. this is iran. we are taking control over this flight by remote control. it's to do a 9/11 type thing. hahahaha." the pilot began to macguyver the strange electronic radio controls he found beneath the control panel. "hand me that bobble-head on the dash, co-pilot, i will use the spring inside it to--". the co-pilot interrupted, "no. i'm afraid the two of you aren't the only ones with plans for this plane. i'm really suicidal and i'm doing to crash it into the water to die." and with that he lunged for the captains neck, tiger-style. the cabin's door flung open amidst the scuffle. the men who came through wielded seat-belt extensions like nun-chuks, "hello irish. i'm the captain now. we go to america," said one. hardly anyone noticed as two well-tanned women in cowboy hats entered the cockpit behind them, "blow jobs, boys?"

I KNEW blowjobs were involved.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The plane is not in Iran. That would be suicide for them. Iran's game is funding outside terrorist organizations to do their dirty work for them, not to do it themselves.

No.44
Dec 14, 2012

This is all just an elaborate set up for the second season of True Detective.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Can't read this link in any other way than The Maily Mail

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So what you're saying is we need to look for Godzilla?

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Spaced God posted:

So what you're saying is we need to look for Godzilla?

Not quite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I16_8l0yS-g

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

cctv of the captain and first officer going through metal detectors and getting pat downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpL1i63lsas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

cctv of the captain and first officer going through metal detectors and getting pat downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpL1i63lsas

This changes everything.

• Locked thread