Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Do you guys think I'd be better off buying one Box Set from the past 3 sets, or just find a deck I like and buy it individually for getting back into MTG?

Should also mention I have close to $300 in Amazon bucks, but it wouldn't kill me to spend whatever on singles.

Grsb plsysets of theros block uncommon/commons, then buy singles to create whatever decks fit your fancy.

Don't open packs unless you are playing limited formats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magicalblender
Sep 29, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

But I've got one better that I did:
7-player Commander game, my friend casts Collective whatever it is 3 few turns in - the one that draws cards. Everyone taps out for like, 15 cards each. I cast Notion Thief and lose then go play Modern which I enjoy much more.

Do you mean Minds Aglow? Just so you know, by the time players are paying mana for it, the spell is resolving and it's too late to cast spells in response. You could cast the Thief before it resolves, but then everyone could just pay 0. (this is in opposition to ordinary X spells like Prosperity, where the X gets locked in when the player casts it, and then the other player can play their Thief)

Or was the Thief on the battlefield before anyone paid? I guess instead of paying 0, it makes sense for them to agree to pay enough to deck you.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Sab669 posted:

Do you guys think I'd be better off buying one Box Set from the past 3 sets, or just find a deck I like and buy it individually for getting back into MTG?

Should also mention I have close to $300 in Amazon bucks, but it wouldn't kill me to spend whatever on singles.
Don't bother with constructed and just play a bunch of limited forever.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I was at SCGSea, had a great time. Ended up 4-3, losing two straight and dropping in round 7.

There are a lot of fun decks, and I was able to live the dream by Eye Gouging the poo poo out of things.

Mutavault!

That BotG satyrs that do damage base on instants or sorceries.

Mana dorks.

My own Agent of the Fates!

Spiteful Returned is also hilarious. Everyone had to stop and read it.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

What deck were you running that played Spiteful Returned?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Talking about notion thief stories:

I once had someone brainstorm with Jace when there was an onboard Notion Thief. He will never live it down.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

magicalblender posted:

Do you mean Minds Aglow? Just so you know, by the time players are paying mana for it, the spell is resolving and it's too late to cast spells in response. You could cast the Thief before it resolves, but then everyone could just pay 0. (this is in opposition to ordinary X spells like Prosperity, where the X gets locked in when the player casts it, and then the other player can play their Thief)

Or was the Thief on the battlefield before anyone paid? I guess instead of paying 0, it makes sense for them to agree to pay enough to deck you.

Yup. I flashed him in response to the spell because I didn't want to play in the first place. I agreed to play because it was only a few people, then suddenly 3 more people joined after we took our first turn so I "quit" before the 20 minutes between my 20 second turns crap started. I don't like big games unless there's someone else who doesn't actually care playing with us to keep it fun. Seriously, why do people take a format as awful as Commander seriously?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

...I didn't want to play in the first place.

Why didn't you just say "No thank you, I'm not interested."?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Froghammer posted:

Judging from that and Agent of Fates, his take on mono black aggro.

edit:

ScarletBrother posted:

His "thing" is not being able to say "no" to playing games of commander he doesn't want to participate in

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 16, 2014

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

His "thing" is not being able to say "no" to playing games of commander he doesn't want to participate in

I don't know about his history offhand but tbf he posted that the game of commander changed after he sat down to play it, and scooping up from a game in progress is more awkward than saying no to sitting down in the first place.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

JerryLee posted:

I don't know about his history offhand but tbf he posted that the game of commander changed after he sat down to play it, and scooping up from a game in progress is more awkward than saying no to sitting down in the first place.

I'm mostly just giving him a hard time, but it stems from an argument in this thread over this post from like a month ago.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 16, 2014

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Froghammer posted:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/mono-b-heroic-1/

I like to call it SpitefulPants

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

JerryLee posted:

I've scooped Talrand before because peopel kept boardwiping every other turn and I basically said "gently caress it, I'm getting mana hosed, it takes too long to set up at this point, I'm going to go play a different game and have some fun, peace" and gotten weird looks from people.

gently caress them, though, I play EDH to have stupid fun.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

suicidesteve posted:

But I've got one better that I did:
7-player Commander game, my friend casts Collective whatever it is 3 few turns in - the one that draws cards. Everyone taps out for like, 15 cards each. I cast Notion Thief and lose then go play Modern which I enjoy much more.

My main wincon in one of my EDH decks is Laboratory Maniac (with a bunch of self-mill, reanimator sub-themes). I don't play EDH very often, but the foil Notion Thief in that deck dreams of the day I kill myself/win the game when someone tries to cast a Wheel of Fortune effect.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Some people get really mad if you concede because you think you have a negligible chance of winning. Including the people who could easily kill you, but are just stringing you along until they get whatever combo they want active.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

JerryLee posted:

Alternatively, "I don't actually have any EDH decks on me, sorry."

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Speaking of EDH, I just got done running with the initial runs of Xenagod as my commander. Good lord, he does work. Due to the composition of people who I play EDH with, and most people who play EDH in general, there is very little enchantment and creature exiling, making Xenagod stick around for the most part.

More importantly is that after hitting a certain point in mana, everything in the deck is just pure, endless value. Deus of Calamity in particular just guarantees 18 damage out the hand and break a land. In a five person game, I ended up being the guy who took out three different people, including the Orzhov player who had managed to grab up to 80 life throughout the game. Lost to the one guy playing Karametra, but eh, he had a really well placed Fog.

And Hunter's Insight? Freaking amazing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

logis posted:

My main wincon in one of my EDH decks is Laboratory Maniac (with a bunch of self-mill, reanimator sub-themes). I don't play EDH very often, but the foil Notion Thief in that deck dreams of the day I kill myself/win the game when someone tries to cast a Wheel of Fortune effect.

I still dream of the day I fire off my Talrand combo that goes Omniscience, Enter the Infinite, Lab Maniac, cantrip cantrip I win.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Elysiume posted:

Some people get really mad if you concede because you think you have a negligible chance of winning. Including the people who could easily kill you, but are just stringing you along until they get whatever combo they want active.

"No no don't leave you gotta see what's going to happen next! (please let me go off just this once)"

They're like the people who when you beat them they throw down their hand and start flipping cards off their deck saying "SEE! If I had just gotten to THIS ONE CARD you'd be DEAD" Yeah okay bud, you didn't though, so gg.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ScarletBrother posted:

1. The next sentence kinda explains that. I didn't mind a small game until the one guy invited everyone else who had just finished a game to join, and at that point it was either stay in that game or sit there waiting for people to get back from dinner, which they did just in time for me to quit.

2. Without getting into another 3 page derail about how I'm a terrible person for not liking Commander, the one guy at the store is an entitled man-child who never used to care if I didn't want to play because he wanted to play and that's what's important in life. He's also an employee of the store, so there's not much I can do about it. So I finally modified my deck to basically do nothing but board wipe, and eventually got to play Kingmaker by giving my friend, who was playing such high impact cards as Woodlot Crawler ("It was in arm's reach.") the game over him. I haven't been hassled to play since.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 16, 2014

Mondrian
Jan 8, 2011
I've managed to crack a couple of Felhide spirit binders in some sealed boosters, and I'd love to use them in a BG or BUG monsters deck.
As an inspired enabler, I would use Karametra's favour, which also helps mana ramping on smaller creatures or with Pheres-band trompers I guess - in addition to the usual Mystics and/or Caryatids
Then, just put in a bunch of big tribute monsters like Golden Grove Snake, Pharagax Giant or Thunder Brute to copy and profit? Maybe a few Nylea or Xenagod, as well.

Does this seem legit or should I just be boring and stick with Domri+Courser and the rest of the usual suite?

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

My friend opened a foil unravel the aether and i traded for and put it straight into my only green EDH deck because i knew people would be wanting to play God EDH. That and i like instant speed cheep removal cards!

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Big Nothing posted:

My friend opened a foil unravel the aether and i traded for and put it straight into my only green EDH deck because i knew people would be wanting to play God EDH. That and i like instant speed cheep removal cards!

Doesn't Unravel the aether have a destroy, not exile effect? So... it doesn't work against gods who all have indestructible.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Doesn't Unravel the aether have a destroy, not exile effect? So... it doesn't work against gods who all have indestructible.

It's shuffle. The god will be tucked away to who knows where in their library.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Mondrian posted:

Should I just be boring and stick with Domri+Courser and the rest of the usual suite?

Yes

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Magic stream is up. Solebush vs Hayne. Streamer vs guy that has ran :supaburn: levels of hot the past 6 months + Captain Canada.

Kabanaw posted:

It's shuffle. The god will be tucked away to who knows where in their library.
You know I wonder if we see more shuffle into library effects if people will start running tutors again in standard?

Korak fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 16, 2014

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Oh, I guess I mixed it up with some similarily named card. There's some green card that destroys instants (not fade into antiquity) that I was thinking about.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Just wondering but do your stores not have demo copies of board games? All of my LGS's and the other nerd stores I've visited in the past year have all had board games for people to play with. I cannot comprehend a store not having some nowadays. They are all, with the exception of munchkin, mansion of madness, betrayal on the hill, and flux, much better suited to 5-6 player multiplayer games than EDH - and aren't godawful 3-hour slogs. I always try to persuade people to play them instead of EDH when I'm able. You'll find most people are willing to try light games like Carcassone or Boss Monster since "playing EDH" is an ingrained pastime like playing monopoly or risk. Fit nicely in your backpack too.

E: if you or they are not into board games tough luck. In my experience everyone but the most die-hard must-play-magic grognards are up for board games. However, you did say manchildren were involved and a lot of times EDH is an excuse to show off your ~alpha dual land~ or ~foil Russian stoneforge mystic~ so YMMV.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 16, 2014

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Korak posted:

Magic stream is up. Solebush vs Hayne. Streamer vs guy that has ran :supaburn: levels of hot the past 6 months + Captain Canada.
You know I wonder if we see more shuffle into library effects if people will start running tutors again in standard?

What happened with that match? I missed it.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Samael posted:

What happened with that match? I missed it.
Solebush drafted a 4 color deck with WG base. He picked up an Elspeth so he was playing for the late game. Unfortunately Hayne drafted a sick UB Phenax deck and you just can't win against that. 2-0 Hayne.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Wow. Geoff Risi almost won from a mulligan to 4. He's playing BG and his opponent is on WR weenies. He gets a turn 3 or 4 Drown in Sorrow off while at 12 hp. Topdecks some Caverns and some more walls. Drops Merchant down for some life gain. Unfortunately he gets low off of a loyal pegasus smacking him and WR guy has an act of treason effect to get the last 2 damage in.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Speaking of EDH, I just got done running with the initial runs of Xenagod as my commander. Good lord, he does work. Due to the composition of people who I play EDH with, and most people who play EDH in general, there is very little enchantment and creature exiling, making Xenagod stick around for the most part.

More importantly is that after hitting a certain point in mana, everything in the deck is just pure, endless value. Deus of Calamity in particular just guarantees 18 damage out the hand and break a land. In a five person game, I ended up being the guy who took out three different people, including the Orzhov player who had managed to grab up to 80 life throughout the game. Lost to the one guy playing Karametra, but eh, he had a really well placed Fog.

And Hunter's Insight? Freaking amazing.

Is your list online? Mine's at http://deck.tk/1QM770SU

The infect dudes really do work, I've surprise-killed many people with them. Some troubles with the deck itself I've had is that I need to run all these utility creatures, which are tiny and I can't really win with. Drawing a Vexing Shusher when there's no one countering spells, or a Scavenging Ooze when no one's reanimating anything, etc. really sucks.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
suicidesteve, I don't think you're a bad person for not liking EDH. I loving hate it myself. I just think you're a passive aggressive dick for joining EDH games that you don't want to play in the first place and then doing thing with the sole intention of ruining everyone else's day. What difference does it make if one of the players is a store employee? Are they going to kick you out for not bowing to his wishes? gently caress that store if that's the case. Just be an adult and tell them you don't want to/are unable to play. Don't be a huge jerk and then come here to bitch about it.

tl;dr don't play formats you don't enjoy.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

BJPaskoff posted:

Is your list online? Mine's at http://deck.tk/1QM770SU

The infect dudes really do work, I've surprise-killed many people with them. Some troubles with the deck itself I've had is that I need to run all these utility creatures, which are tiny and I can't really win with. Drawing a Vexing Shusher when there's no one countering spells, or a Scavenging Ooze when no one's reanimating anything, etc. really sucks.
How does infect work in Commander? 20 poison counters for a kill?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Is the hate for edh because a lot of people like to drag games on to show off combos and cards, as opposed to going for kills? I've seen some horror stories in this thread and elsewhere. That would drive me crazy if someone was doing that or if that was how the local crowd played if so. When I borrowed a deck to try it this week I went straight for the kills, we all laughed it off and played again until another guy killed everyone and it was fun.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Korak posted:

How does infect work in Commander? 20 poison counters for a kill?

Nope, 10, like any other format.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mikujin posted:

Nope, 10, like any other format.

I thought it was 15, like 2HG (the other 40-starting-life format)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Is the hate for edh because a lot of people like to drag games on to show off combos and cards, as opposed to going for kills? I've seen some horror stories in this thread and elsewhere. That would drive me crazy if someone was doing that or if that was how the local crowd played if so. When I borrowed a deck to try it this week I went straight for the kills, we all laughed it off and played again until another guy killed everyone and it was fun.

I think wanting to show off is part of it. EDH has its roots in being a fun casual multiplayer format, but tryhards are always going to pop up in this game especially when prizes are on the line. Luckily, when my store has prizes events the guys who play Azami or GW Rhys or Krenko game 1 will switch to a different deck game 2, just so they aren't dictating the entire dynamic both games (except the Maelstrom Wanderer guy, but we let him know how obnoxious that deck is)

Also at least at my LGS, for one kind of EDH "competitive" event you get prizes based on how many people you KO, which encourages being aggressive. But with 12-16 people at the table games can still go three hours depending on who's playing what.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Tharizdun posted:

I thought it was 15, like 2HG (the other 40-starting-life format)

Nope, not even in the duel commander variant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

C-Euro posted:

I think wanting to show off is part of it. EDH has its roots in being a fun casual multiplayer format, but tryhards are always going to pop up in this game especially when prizes are on the line. Luckily, when my store has prizes events the guys who play Azami or GW Rhys or Krenko game 1 will switch to a different deck game 2, just so they aren't dictating the entire dynamic both games (except the Maelstrom Wanderer guy, but we let him know how obnoxious that deck is)

Also at least at my LGS, for one kind of EDH "competitive" event you get prizes based on how many people you KO, which encourages being aggressive. But with 12-16 people at the table games can still go three hours depending on who's playing what.

Not picking on you personally, but this is why I hate EDH. It's the awful awful argument of cards being "fun" or "unfun" given structure. Every Magic player has heard the argument from someone who is so adamantly against Counterspells and LD and anything else that ruins their 20-card combo, and EDH is all of those people getting together in one game. If someone plays it to win, they are "a tryhard." If someone builds a deck that fucks with people's cards, they're "a huge dick."

I have no problem with Magic being played for fun in whatever way you want to play it, but just because someone has a deck that is going to beat yours doesn't make them a tryhard or a dick or anything of that sort, it makes them someone who has fun a different way than you do.

• Locked thread