Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pillow Fort Squire
Jun 29, 2013
I haven't really scratched the surface here but I'm looking for two opposed sounds. Can anybody recommend me anything brooding, jarring, and unsettling like Ligeti - Requiem, Penderecki - Hiroshima or Olivier Messiaen's Complete Organ. On the flipside, I'm also looking for stuff that is light, breezy, and maybe a touch melodramatic. Eminence Symphony Orchestra doing songs from Shinkai movies is the only reference point I can give to that end. Any help would be appreciated, I find classical intensely inaccessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Pillow Fort Squire posted:

I haven't really scratched the surface here but I'm looking for two opposed sounds. Can anybody recommend me anything brooding, jarring, and unsettling like Ligeti - Requiem, Penderecki - Hiroshima or Olivier Messiaen's Complete Organ. On the flipside, I'm also looking for stuff that is light, breezy, and maybe a touch melodramatic. Eminence Symphony Orchestra doing songs from Shinkai movies is the only reference point I can give to that end. Any help would be appreciated, I find classical intensely inaccessible.

Penderecki's next two orchestral works: Polymorphia and Fluorescences are pretty good for your first category. Pretty much all of Penderecki's music that has been used in films fits that bill.

Light, breezy, melodramatic? Maybe Arvo Part?

nyquil
May 1, 2003

Pillow Fort Squire posted:

Matthias Pintscher's music is fantastic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuhMARYSnho

For lighter stuff...maybe like Nico Muhly and those kind of downtown-y composers? It's unsubstantial, bordering on gimmicky, to my ears but in any case:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on6ebe-pQ_g

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Man, did mahler understand sorrow and the struggle that is life. http://open.spotify.com/track/42NBwr3NQPOsOGSNsJNyN2

Mahler 7 - first movement - when it reaches its highest peak 13 minutes in and then it all drops away to reveal the same brooding theme of oars rowing across a placid lake at night. Worth a listen.

As much as a strange puzzle as the 7th is, it's just as full of universal emotion and power as all the others.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I don't think this has been linked to yet. Let me know if it has. This is a beautiful example of some of the earliest polyphony from the 13th century:

Pérotin: Viderunt Omnes

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 2, 2014

Shif
Aug 12, 2013
I'm trying to find something to pass the time on long road trips. Couple of my friends have been steering me towards the Mahler compilations. Are there any other long duration (45+ minutes), primarily minor/sad/downer as a whole?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Shif posted:

I'm trying to find something to pass the time on long road trips. Couple of my friends have been steering me towards the Mahler compilations. Are there any other long duration (45+ minutes), primarily minor/sad/downer as a whole?

One of the sadder works in classical music is the song cycle Winterreise (Winter journey) by Franz Schubert. The wikipedia article is a good read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winterreise

I personally like the interpretations by Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau most, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8UDOmUcxCk

Honj Steak fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 3, 2014

Shif
Aug 12, 2013

Faber posted:

One of the sadder works in classical music is the song cycle Winterreise (Winter journey) by Franz Schubert... I personally like the interpretations by Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau most, e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8UDOmUcxCk

Wow, I love the tone/feel of that piece. Is there anything else along those lines that is strictly symphonic/orchestral?

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Shif posted:

Wow, I love the tone/feel of that piece. Is there anything else along those lines that is strictly symphonic/orchestral?

Generally, orchestral music is rarely written in order to create these intimately melancholic images you can often find in classical/romantic chamber music. Mahler and Schubert are actually two composers whose symphonic works sometimes also are able to evoke these "silent" emotions, but of course a large orchestra is not necessarily most suited for this task.

An obvious recommendation regarding orchestral music by Schubert is his 8th, "Unfinished" Symphony: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t2VUFN6dyQ

diddy kongs feet
Dec 11, 2012

wanna lick the dirt out between ur chimp toes
I'm the kind of piece of poo poo who talks a big classical music game without knowing anything about it. I've had nothing but Yasushi Akutagawa on loop lately and I want more (similar or otherwise) up-beat, motivational classical music. That's really the best I can articulate it, that's how bad I am.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

diddy kongs feet posted:

I'm the kind of piece of poo poo who talks a big classical music game without knowing anything about it. I've had nothing but Yasushi Akutagawa on loop lately and I want more (similar or otherwise) up-beat, motivational classical music. That's really the best I can articulate it, that's how bad I am.

Akutagawa seems to be influenced both by Russian film music and ballet, so you obviously should first look up names like Shostakovich, Tchaikovsky or Kabalevsky. Maybe it could also be worth listening to program music of the romantic period, e.g. Mussorgsky, Borodin, Rimsky-Korsakov, Grieg or Smetana. Another genre suited for your "needs" could be light Operetta music, most notably Johann Strauß II.

Honj Steak fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 5, 2014

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

diddy kongs feet posted:

Honestly? That's good enough for anyone who does know classical music, too.

Take my uncle, for example- goes to see Chicago/New York/Royal Concertgebouw/Berlin multiple times every year, especially if they're doing Mahler/Verdi/Bruckner. Doesn't know a thing about music or music theory (I remember I bought him a book about Mahler, his favorite composer, for Christmas one year and he spent the next year asking every musician in the family what the hell a "rising third" is supposed to be). Nobody begrudges him this, he does his part to keep classical music alive, as does the gamer who downloads Holst's Mars to put on top of his Call of Duty frag videos. Symphonic music really is the most texturally, rhythmically and harmonically complex music there is, and I'd argue that anyone can appreciate it.

Listening to the top Yasushi Akutagawa selection on youtube (Trinità Sinfonica), not being familiar with his body of work, I can think of a few things you might appreciate. Strauss's Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks is a fairly obvious one, as is Holst's Mercury (though short, at only 4 minutes). You'd probably also enjoy John Adams's Chairman Dances.

I think you might also get something out of Respighi's Roma series of tone poems, especially Pines of Rome, and maybe Fountains, as well as Copland's Outdoor Overture, at the very least.

EDIT: For my money, I find Brahms 1 to be the most cathartic motivational orchestral piece I've ever heard, but many others disagree.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 5, 2014

diddy kongs feet
Dec 11, 2012

wanna lick the dirt out between ur chimp toes
Whoa thanks so much for the great responses, plenty to work with here. I actually studied musicianship all through highschool but I feel like it was kinda of squandered in that I only recently learned how to appreciate the kinds of music I studied back then.

Shif
Aug 12, 2013
About half way through Mahler's works and I'm loving most of it. Pretty partial to the first movement so far.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I've never liked violin concertos much but I can't stop listening to Sibelius's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsbrRAgv1b4

I can't really pick out why I love it so, but it definitely has a lot to do with the really sad little motif that starts showing up in the second half of the first movement, and the trombones getting to just yell it. Just awesome.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hawkgirl posted:

I've never liked violin concertos much but I can't stop listening to Sibelius's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsbrRAgv1b4

I can't really pick out why I love it so, but it definitely has a lot to do with the really sad little motif that starts showing up in the second half of the first movement, and the trombones getting to just yell it. Just awesome.
Call me a backpacker if you have to, but Sibelius has been a favourite of mine for a decade now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX_J7ZSUmts

There's a lot of space in his music, and beauty.
It's as if Shostakovich hadn't been horribly depressed and suffering under Stalinism.

The link isn't necessarily to the best version of it, I like it a bit slower and with more dynamical range.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
You know... I've never been in the school of "Only Russians are allowed to conduct Russians".

But I'll be damned if Mravinsky doesn't knock it out of the park on this recording of Tchaik 5:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPpaJML_EP8

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

oilcheck my rear end posted:

Chopin wrote ALOT of piano music. I'd suggest staying away from the etudes initially. There are some that are very listenable, but they're primarily technical studies (Mastering the etudes is a good way of surmounting most of the problems with performing Chopin's music. It's not completely the case, but they go a long way. They're required learning in any conservatory worth its salt. This often leads to swearing and frazzled pianists as they are both quite challenging and also typically taken on in a relatively early phase of advanced development :) )

I would say that the pre-eminent Chopin interpreter recently has probably been Rubinstein. (I personally think Agerich is wonderful, but she's criticized, and perhaps rightly so, for taking liberties with the music.) Some good beginning listening for his music is probably more of a mish-mash, rather than a full set of either the etudes, nocturnes, etc.

This is probably your best bet: http://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Collection-Box-Set/dp/B000026OW3/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297284239&sr=8-1

It's got all of the big pieces. The Polonaise Fantaisie is a personal favorite of mine both to listen and play. (I probably say this with too much gravitas. Any pianist worth his/her salt has likely had a crack at it, even if its not necessarily up to performance standards in their repertoire.) It's an excellent example of the sweeping Romantic epic.
I've begun making my way through this collection, and it's fantastic so far. I figure it will take me about 2 months to properly listen to it all. :psyduck:

There is so much content to sample in this thread that I'm finding myself a bit overwhelmed. I tend to lean toward solo piano style classical music and one of my favorites is Vladimir Ashkenazy's - Chopin: Favorite Piano Works. I would consider it a nice "mish-mash" as suggested by Oilcheck.

http://www.amazon.com/Favorite-Piano-Works-Vladimir-Ashkenazy/dp/B00000427J

I believe that my playlists are going to be much more diverse after finding this thread, though.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
So is Cameron Carpenter the glam-organist?

His video is pretentious as heck, but his actual music is pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLzgFkouSmc

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Wow this video is hilariously over the top. :allears:

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Tezzeract posted:

I managed to make it through the entire video. He seems like the Vanilla Ice of the organ community, but there is very obviously talent there.

Edit: How about those boots? :psyduck:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shif posted:

About half way through Mahler's works and I'm loving most of it. Pretty partial to the first movement so far.

To really plumb the depths of his symphonies I recommend you take symphonies 1-5 as a suite of sorts - a number of important themes, especially the "fate" theme that begins the trauermarsch of symphony no. 5, are developed throughout the first four. Mahler 1 is a programmatic imagining of Titan (the Wikipedia page can tell you more about this) and has a dark, tense, emotional string crescendo in the first movement that is the shadow of a mountain falling on the idyllic morning countryside; this shadow returns in the fifth movement, which ends with a grand brass chorale that should move any living soul to tears with its strident profundity. This idea of the shadow of a great threat or mountain being cast over the beginning of life persists throughout the first 5 symphonies. In Mahler 3, we hear the first hints of the triplet fate theme(modeled off of beethoven's fifth "dadada dummmm" fate theme, cast in a dark, violent first movement that foretells the crushing inevitability of death and struggle. Other themes are also developed within the fist four, but this one is important above all, and appears fully realized to open the fifth: a lone trumpeter, set against the most massive orchestral forces used at that time in history, begins to opine about fate with massive ff swells overshadowing his already dark , minor beginnings. The harsh c# key is foreign to the ear and is an immediate clue that this journey will not be easy ; there will be sorrow, loss, and strife from start to finish. Movement two follows the funeral march, a violent maelstrom of harsh motifs, with instrumental choices such as the c clarinet instead of a or Bb to make the shrill, piercing quality even more so. The movement goes on and on, wearing down the listener with unending pain until suddenly, with no warning at all, a grand D major chorale breaks apart the swirling maelstrom - the first sign of hope and victory in the symphony. Ultimately it is swallowed by the previous violence, and is seemingly defeated at the movement's end.

Movement three is a grotesquely long ländler , coming in at nearly 20 minutes - this could only have been meant to ridiculous the excess of Viennese culture, the airs they put on, and the people Mahler likely despised and envied for the same reasons. In the midst of the despair of movements one and two - a funeral march and intense inner struggle - Mahler must be social and live amongst the rich, influential fools of his world. His hatred of this is evident from start to finish - the movement keeps going and going, threatening to stop at any moment but refusing to, taunting the listener.

Movement four is a passionate tone poem of love to his beloved wife Alma(who is herself a fascinating figure in history), a stunning departure from the rest of the symphony. Here Mahler has reached his salvation , a purpose for all this suffering: his wife and his beloved daughters. The winds and percussion sit mute as the strings play one of the most heartfelt and moving movements of any symphony in the world. Mahler's heart is transfixed by Alma, totally forgetting his previous pains.

Recharged on his journey by finding his love, the drama continues. Movement five is a fitting finale, with struggle and strife building up until suddenly the d major chorale returns in fully realized glory, obliterating the sadness and dolorous nature of the previous moments. Mahler's orchestral essay on life and death completes itself with this chorale, the lone man trumpeter's question answered. Love and hope have triumphed.

The saddest part of this is perhaps that only a few years later Mahler was faced with a trifecta of personal tragedy: his second daughter died unexpectedly(Mahler was said to say that after having gone through this, he could never write a piece such as kindertotenlieder - songs on the death of children - again. The pain was too personal.), his wife alma cheated on him, and he was diagnosed with a terminal heart condition that would end his conducting career and ultimately his life while he was still sketching his unfinished tenth symphony. The ninth, his last work, is full of references to every other work; it is full of remorse, a farewell to a world that has been unkind.

Kudos to anyone who reads all that, I'm just such a big fuckin Mahler nerd and his symphonies have such meaning to me. I could go on all drat day. I just went to a performance of Mahler 8, his setting of Veni, Creator Spiritus and Goethe's Faust's ascent into heaven - he was such a master as the world had never before known, in my opinion dwarfing Beethoven and Mozart in his ability to write symphonies. Every symphony is packed with structure, form, emotion, meaning, allegory, and programmatic emotional moments; at one point we see Mahler as Faust , begging god to end his suffering, and at another he sets a soprano singing "oh, I love this world so much....".

gently caress yeah Mahler :getin:

empty whippet box fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 26, 2014

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I made a map for the politically-loaded maps thread.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
The map owns. Thanks!

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Warchicken posted:

gently caress yeah Mahler :getin:
I think my favorite of his works is probably Das Lied von der Erde. If you're able to find the recording by the Dresden Staatskapelle under Sinopoli, definitely grab it: great singing, incredibly rich orchestral sound. Also thank you. :cool:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mahler posted:

I think my favorite of his works is probably Das Lied von der Erde. If you're able to find the recording by the Dresden Staatskapelle under Sinopoli, definitely grab it: great singing, incredibly rich orchestral sound. Also thank you. :cool:

Haha wow. I'm kind of surprised to hear anyone name that as their favorite, though . What do you like so much about it over his other works? Also just seeing "Dresden" and "Mahler" in the same place makes me a sad fanboy. Thanks for bombing the loving Dresden archives, us Air Force , nope the world won't miss out on anything as a result of that no way

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Warchicken posted:

Haha wow. I'm kind of surprised to hear anyone name that as their favorite, though . What do you like so much about it over his other works? Also just seeing "Dresden" and "Mahler" in the same place makes me a sad fanboy. Thanks for bombing the loving Dresden archives, us Air Force , nope the world won't miss out on anything as a result of that no way

I really, really like a lot of his work (an obvious statement). Symphony 5 is really strong. First movement of 7 is sooooo good. Symphony no. 9 is so dense and rewarding... It's not that DLvdE stands head and shoulders above the rest, but for me, at this one point in time, it's the most emotionally charged and satisfying to listen to (especially the specific recording I mentioned). I'd find it really hard to try and objectively 'rank' the symphonies from best to worst. At the moment, however, DLvdE is my go-to Mahler fix. This is my non-answer to your question.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Warchicken posted:

for what it's worth, Shostakovich thought like the last 5 minutes or so of DLvDE was the best thing ever written.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Mahler posted:

I really, really like a lot of his work (an obvious statement). Symphony 5 is really strong. First movement of 7 is sooooo good. Symphony no. 9 is so dense and rewarding... It's not that DLvdE stands head and shoulders above the rest, but for me, at this one point in time, it's the most emotionally charged and satisfying to listen to (especially the specific recording I mentioned). I'd find it really hard to try and objectively 'rank' the symphonies from best to worst. At the moment, however, DLvdE is my go-to Mahler fix. This is my non-answer to your question.

I am with you on this. DLvdE is the piece I own the most recordings of, somewhere around a dozen, and one I have seen in concert three times, including an amazing chamber version. My favorite recording is easily Kubelik's with Kmentt and Baker as soloists, available on Audite. I also really like Peter Schreier as the male soloist, with a great recording conducted by Kurt Sanderling.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It really is hard to "rank" any composer's works, even an output as relatively small as Mahler's. The more I listen to it all, the more it sounds as one continuous arc of stylistic development - Symphony no 1 seems so nakedly theatrical and programmatic in comparison to the others. I wish we could have seen his four early symphonies unintended for publication just to more fully understand how it all came to be.

Movement 1of 7...fuckin' yes. And movement one of 9 - those two especially seem especially great to me. Iwigger wonnerbrand in 8 is my favorite vocal section, the grand brass chorales of 5 and the finale of 1 for brass, movement 1 of 1 for French horn.

After seeing no. 8 live recently with just shy of 400 performers, I have decided that if I had a time machine, I would go back to the first performance of 8 before anything else. Killing hitler can wait, I have to see Mahler's greatest triumph in his own lifetime. If all western music had a single "point", that was it. Shut her down boys, we're done here.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
There is some serious cult of genius in this thread. :getin:

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

There are some very good insights here, agreed. Very early on in the thread Rimsky Korsakov's : Scheherazade was mentioned, and quickly became my favorite classical piece to listen to shortly after. My favorite version is the following by Gergiev · Vienna Philharmonic · Salzburg Festival 2005. (Link below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQNymNaTr-Y

That being said, could anyone point me in the direction of anything similar?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Tezzeract posted:

Goddamn I am laughing at every aspect of this video. Really, though, I posted a link previously in this thread featuring his interpretation of Bach at the BBC Proms and it was just outstanding. I have never heard an organ played like in that performance.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

DisMafugga posted:

There are some very good insights here, agreed. Very early on in the thread Rimsky Korsakov's : Scheherazade was mentioned, and quickly became my favorite classical piece to listen to shortly after. My favorite version is the following by Gergiev · Vienna Philharmonic · Salzburg Festival 2005.

That being said, could anyone point me in the direction of anything similar?

Well, within Rimsky-Korsakov's own output, you have other really accomplished orchestral pieces like Capriccio Espagnol and Russian Easter Festival Overture which were both written within a year of Scheherezade. Maybe check out some of his ballet suites as well; "The Golden Cockerel" and "The Tale of Tsar Sultan" come to mind. Looking up his wiki, I realize that I have not listened to so much of his stuff!

If you're into the whole early exploration of the exoticism of Persia/"The East", I'd recommend Carl Nielsen's Aladdin Suite (youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJOEdlTYJQ8 ).

Another recent discovery of mine is the massive and incredible ballet "Gayaneh" by Khachaturian. Probably the most famous pieces from it are the Sabre Dance (ever since folded into the core Circus Repertoire) and the Adagio which was put to great use in 2001: A Space Odyssey. But really, the whole ballet contains material which outshines both of those excerpts. Here's a balls out rendition by a Russian orchestra (w/o the Adagio, unfortunately): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JlGS1m1PL4

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Mahler posted:

Well, within Rimsky-Korsakov's own output, you have other really accomplished orchestral pieces like Capriccio Espagnol and Russian Easter Festival Overture which were both written within a year of Scheherezade. Maybe check out some of his ballet suites as well; "The Golden Cockerel" and "The Tale of Tsar Sultan" come to mind. Looking up his wiki, I realize that I have not listened to so much of his stuff!

If you're into the whole early exploration of the exoticism of Persia/"The East", I'd recommend Carl Nielsen's Aladdin Suite (youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJOEdlTYJQ8 ).

Exactly the flavor I was looking for. Thank you very much. There's even an excellent video of Gergiev conducting Capriccio Espagnol with a toothpick.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Does anyone have any recs for a good recording of the complete Schubert piano sonatas? The Brendel set looks good, but it's not all the sonatas, so I was thinking of going for the Wilhelm Kempff set. I'm not familiar with most of them if that is important.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

david crosby posted:

Does anyone have any recs for a good recording of the complete Schubert piano sonatas? The Brendel set looks good, but it's not all the sonatas, so I was thinking of going for the Wilhelm Kempff set. I'm not familiar with most of them if that is important.
I'm pretty satisfied with the price and quality of the Kempff DG set. Schubert is a boss.

Stay away from Naxos. I started looking at what they have and before I know it, I bought $500 of music.:v:

One guy I've really been enjoying is Gabriel Fauré. His piano and chamber works are pretty amazing.

James The 1st fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 16, 2014

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What's the best recording/performance of the Carmina Burana? I'm looking for a copy.

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014
I just want to drop a favorite of mine here. Prokofiev's Dance of the Knights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUmq1cpcglQ
It's unsettling and beautiful, I absolutely adore it.

I heard it for the first time in the intro of "Caligula", gave me chills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arak0r
Feb 10, 2006

The Ugly

PRADA SLUT posted:

What's the best recording/performance of the Carmina Burana? I'm looking for a copy.

Not sure where you could purchase this, but I personally LOVE this recording. I am biased though, Seiji Ozawa is the poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-DgS75lfmw