Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

windsor posted:

Could a 777 be flown under 200 feet if no turns are made?

It would burn at least 50% more fuel and fly considerably slower (at approx 300 knots as opposed to its cruising speed of 484 knots). If the pilot makes a mistake at 35,000 feet then chances are he has time to correct it; if he makes a mistake at 200 feet he might not. He would also need to be making altitude adjustments constantly in anticipation of the terrain ahead of him and keeping an eye on the altitude reading, so he would need good maps.

An experienced pilot would struggle to do it for an extended period of time and would almost certainly need a co-pilots help. Obviously going slightly higher would make it safer.

Things like thermals aren't going to effect an aircraft of this size and power, except make it a bumpy ride, so it's certainly possible.

An Argentinian 737 doing a fly by. 50 feet maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

So is this the fault of those two Aussie tarts, or what?

South african.

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://twitter.com/Angela_Stalcup/statuses/442812277494788097

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

What if it was Schrödinger's Plane: It existed, but it didn't actually exist?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Admiral Heklar posted:

Didnt work out so well for the airbus, so im going to say no....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9gELPxPG8Q

Worked out well for the Airbus A310.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

From elsewhere on her Tweeter:

quote:

US and China are joining forces to attack Iran and rescue Malaysia Airlines hostages. WH will have an announcement very soon.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

:catstare:

myshl0ng
Feb 19, 2011

ooh, i've been a bad little poster!

windsor posted:

Could a 777 be flown under 200 feet if no turns are made?
Yeah. Just keep your eyes on the plane's shadow. That's how I do it.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
this should be put at the top of the list 'things that aren't worth dying for'

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

I prefer a quiet station,
thank you.

myshl0ng posted:

Yeah. Just keep your eyes on the plane's shadow. That's how I do it.

couldn't you just throw a length of weighted string out of the window?

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
china :tinfoil:

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

yeah

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Christ on a bike, I'd have sharted me Doogie Howsers if I saw that coming at me.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Suicide really makes the most sense. It's highly unlikely there's any cargo worth all this trouble. It's even more unlikely there's a terrorist group with an secret airfield capable of landing and refueling a 777. A down on his luck pilot conspiring to make his own plane vanish so his family can collect survivor benefits? Now that makes sense and it fits with what we know. I can't think of any other theory that fits nearly as well.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

Just checked out the rest of the Twitter postings... Schizophrenia is a bitch.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Suicide really makes the most sense. It's highly unlikely there's any cargo worth all this trouble. It's even more unlikely there's a terrorist group with an secret airfield capable of landing and refueling a 777. A down on his luck pilot conspiring to make his own plane vanish so his family can collect survivor benefits? Now that makes sense and it fits with what we know. I can't think of any other theory that fits nearly as well.

Why fly west if you're just going to kill yourself?

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
If the pilot/copilot was going to all the length of committing suicide, why bother going through all the shenanigans of shutting down the transponder, saying goodbye to control, shutting down other various transponders or whatever changing course/altitude and heading on a different flight route.

Why not just ditch the plane into the sea on your current route? If the plane had crashed why were they receiving pings from the aircraft for 5 hours or so after it had?

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

Why fly west if you're just going to kill yourself?

Because you probably don't get the benefits if they figure out you crashed on purpose. But if you do everything in your power to avoid detection as you fly to the middle of the third deepest ocean in the world you might just get away with it.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Because if the plane is never ever found then there is less chance of a suicide verdict.

Those shenanigans are to make the plane disappear without a trace.

^^efb like I owed him money

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

AKA Pseudonym posted:

But why not just crash the damned thing in that case - there's at least a chance that they won't be able to establish whether you crashed it intentionally or due to pilot error. Hell some of the data we have could just as easily indicate the pilot trying to simulate equipment problems prior to intentionally crashing the plane as a hijacking.

The plane "disappearing" focuses suspicion on him immediately and his family isn't going to be getting survivor benefits while that suspicion remains. You can get insurance policies which pay out if you commit suicide. I'd say there's little chance of your family getting any payment at all if you're suspected of having kidnapped/murdered 200 people, though.

With no evidence of the plane having crashed and no demands from "hijackers", he seems to have created the worst possible situation for his family in terms of getting any kind of compensation. Did he somehow get "too clever by half" and unintentionally create a complete mystery which can't be resolved unless the plane is found?

Lolie fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 16, 2014

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
All this instead of just stalling the plane on takeoff or something and dying that way?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
The only issue with the suicide theory is that he isn't flying that plane alone.

Edit: Blackboxes on these planes are good enough to spot accidental gently caress ups etc so that's why he would try to make sure the blackboxes are never found.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Because you probably don't get the benefits if they figure out you crashed on purpose. But if you do everything in your power to avoid detection as you fly to the middle of the third deepest ocean in the world you might just get away with it.

There are a lot more easier ways of faking your death for an insurance payout than this...

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

AKA Pseudonym posted:

In the map showing the arcs where the plan (theoretically) should be the top arc goes over the entirety of Kyrgyzstan which has at least 57 abandoned airports. There are at least 5 in Laos and on the lower arc probably a couple in Java. There are presumably plenty where the arc goes over China as well.

I can't speak for countries like Kyrgyzstan or Laos but I have lived in Cambodia for over a year and expect they're pretty similar in the way some things work. Entire Cambodian army divisions simply go missing every now and then because the Generals march them into the countryside to do illegal logging and land clearing; the Royal Cambodian Air Force sent 8 Mig-21s to Israel for upgrades a few years ago and 4 of them disappeared. Just disappeared off the face of the planet.

You wouldn't need a terrorist organisation and a top secret base in Cambodia - just be friends with a General and have a lot of money. Give him a few thousand bucks and all his soldiers an extra $5/day and they won't tell anyone what they're up to. And if they do, the police will come to investigate and you just pay them off as well.

I'm not saying the plane is in some secret base (I mean it was clearly aliens anyway) but the idea that some groups are running private airbases for people trafficking or drug smuggling or whatever isn't as outlandish as you'd think.

duckmaster fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 16, 2014

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

He also only made it over Malaysia because the military wasn't [ayning attention to radar at 2am. If they saw that, they would've sent fighter jets to investigate and his whole plan would be hosed

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

I prefer a quiet station,
thank you.
Everything about this is so unlikely it has to be building up to something on April 1st.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
If they find the cockpit voice recorder and the flight data recorder (which records all pilot inputs), it will be really obvious if it were suicide. To stage a suicidal crash that no one knows is one, you would have to do so in a way that they can't be recovered. Far fetched, but about the same level as the secret terror airstrip in the mountains/jungle that accommodates airliner heavies.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

duckmaster posted:

In the map showing the arcs where the plan (theoretically) should be the top arc goes over the entirety of Kyrgyzstan which has at least 57 abandoned airports. There are at least 5 in Laos and on the lower arc probably a couple in Java. There are presumably plenty where the arc goes over China as well.

I can't speak for countries like Kyrgyzstan or Laos but I have lived in Cambodia for over a year and expect they're pretty similar in the way some things work. Entire Cambodian army divisions simply go missing every now and then because the Generals march them into the countryside to do illegal logging and land clearing; the Royal Cambodian Air Force sent 8 Mig-21s to Israel for upgrades a few years ago and 4 of them disappeared. Just disappeared off the face of the planet.

You wouldn't need a terrorist organisation and a top secret base in Cambodia - just be friends with a General and have a lot of money. Give him a few thousand bucks and all his soldiers an extra $5/day and they won't tell anyone what they're up to. And if they do, the police will come to investigate and you just pay them off as well.

I'm not saying the plane is in some secret base (I mean it was clearly aliens anyway) but the idea that some groups are running private airbases for people trafficking or drug smuggling or whatever isn't as outlandish as you'd think.

Yeah, the possibility that the pilot was paid enormous amounts of money to make the aircraft "disappear" can't be discounted. Even if pulling it off was a long shot which relied on a lot of things going right, it's possible someone dangled a big enough carrot to make it an attractive proposition.

Hell, you could dangle two carrots. Lots of money for you if you can pull this off. If you can't pull it off then crash the fucker to avoid people suspecting what you were trying to do and we'll make sure your family is well taken care of.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now

WastedJoker posted:

Because if the plane is never ever found then there is less chance of a suicide verdict.

Those shenanigans are to make the plane disappear without a trace.

^^efb like I owed him money

But you run the likely risk of the plane and black box being recovered and not only are you discovered as committing suicide, you're now also responsible for killing 200 odd passengers.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

mr_jolly posted:

But you run the likely risk of the plane and black box being recovered and not only are you discovered as committing suicide, you're now also responsible for killing 200 odd passengers.

yeah but you're dead at that point so whatever

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Doflamingo posted:

yeah but you're dead at that point so whatever

Hypothetical dude wants to covertly murder 200 people so his family can get a pension, jeez.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

KennyLoggins posted:

I remember watching it when it aired. It is pretty terrible. At least Mr Toomey is amusing.

Posting this again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPqML9D4n1g
This is literally what happened to MH370

Well drat, all I remember about the Langoliers is that we were watching while visiting my Auntie and Uncles farm but halfway through the movie my uncle kicked the loving living room door open screaming for us to get the poo poo out because the Tumble Dryer had set fire to the kitchen. I'm starting to think this was an act of God as I've not finished it since.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Lolie posted:

Yeah, the possibility that the pilot was paid enormous amounts of money to make the aircraft "disappear" can't be discounted. Even if pulling it off was a long shot which relied on a lot of things going right, it's possible someone dangled a big enough carrot to make it an attractive proposition.

Hell, you could dangle two carrots. Lots of money for you if you can pull this off. If you can't pull it off then crash the fucker to avoid people suspecting what you were trying to do and we'll make sure your family is well taken care of.

A second hand 777-200ER goes for between $35-55million. Even just for parts it could be worth $20million.

Kyrgyzstan is on the EU banned airlines list which means their airlines can't use EU airspace. So obviously their airlines are a bit dodgy. Now they don't operate 777s themselves, but Russias Aeroflot flies there regularly... and they do :tinfoil:

New theories

• Russia

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
My theory:

2014 Hide and Seek world champions

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
What if Philip Seymour Hoffman faked his death to partake in the planned disappearance of a 777 jumbo jet?

And worse, what if famed character actor Fred Ward put him up to it, in a convoluted, insane, desperate attempt to get Hollywood to greenlight a new Tremors sequel?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm not surprised the airlines lost a giant plane, everytime I fly to Florida my luggage winds up in Albuquerque! :suicide:

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I'm aware the source is Daily mail, but the timeline actually makes it the most plausible theory so far.

"The Mail on Sunday has learned that Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah was an ‘obsessive’ supporter of Malaysia’s opposition leader, Anwar Ibrahim. And hours before the doomed flight left Kuala Lumpur it is understood 53-year-old Shah attended a controversial trial in which Ibrahim was jailed for five years"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-sodomite.html

So basically, his hero got sentenced to jail for probably ridiculous and fabricated malaysian-style reasons (just assuming without knowing the case), pilot goes nuts and takes the plane on a wild ride before crashing it on land or sea.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
How does doing this to make a political point make any sense without a message or, well, any sort of point?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Was he also a single mother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Elukka posted:

How does doing this to make a political point make any sense without a message or, well, any sort of point?

At least my assumption isn't that he was trying to have any "point" or message whatsoever, simply that he was so loving pissed that his reaction was this. Basically an amok run, just with an airbus instead of the usual gun or knife.

• Locked thread