Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

That isn't what unrealistic means. Since your reasoning seems to be "because they don't want too.", which is fine but its kind of dooming itself to failure.

It's unrealistic to think Hemsworth, RDJ, Evans etc. were going to do TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
Is it unrealistic to expect the show to engaging and entertaining?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Anyone attending the Indianapolis Comic-Con? I'm hearing from lots of people that it's an incredible clusterfuck.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

sleepingbuddha posted:

Is it unrealistic to expect the show to engaging and entertaining?

No. I'm just saying let's call a spade a spade and say that this is why the show fails, not because RDJ or whomever doesn't show up in an episode.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Aphrodite posted:

It's unrealistic to think Hemsworth, RDJ, Evans etc. were going to do TV.

You probably could for like an arc or maybe a one and done.

Depending on the budget which I don't know

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rhyno posted:

Anyone attending the Indianapolis Comic-Con? I'm hearing from lots of people that it's an incredible clusterfuck.

What's going on? I've been around for some con cluserfucks so I'm curious if it's as bad as Origins not getting the badge holders in until two days into the con.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Len posted:

What's going on? I've been around for some con cluserfucks so I'm curious if it's as bad as Origins not getting the badge holders in until two days into the con.

lovely dealer room, guests showing up and having no space in artist's alley, insanely long lines that aren't being capped. A buddy of mine waited 4 hours for a George Perez signature. They were turning people away from entry because the hall was so crowded at one point, even if you had tickets.

Edit: Just heard they Fire Marshall shut them down for an hour or so due to them being like 200 people beyond legal capacity.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 16, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Hakkesshu posted:

No. I'm just saying let's call a spade a spade and say that this is why the show fails, not because RDJ or whomever doesn't show up in an episode.

Who cares, they could at least FEEL like they're part of the superhero universe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Which one of you guys did this to me? :(

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Lurdiak posted:

Which one of you guys did this to me? :(

Yeah, that misplaced apostrophe is a tragedy.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
edit: oops wrong thread

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Do you think Batman is a competent figure skater? I don't mean that he could be if he wanted to, and I know he can iceskate. But do you think in his training he learned to do like triple axles and poo poo just in case it came up?

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Have you seen Batman and Robin?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's the best question and answer I've ever seen on here.

Poopinstein
Apr 1, 2003

Yeah you did it!

Rhyno posted:

lovely dealer room, guests showing up and having no space in artist's alley, insanely long lines that aren't being capped. A buddy of mine waited 4 hours for a George Perez signature. They were turning people away from entry because the hall was so crowded at one point, even if you had tickets.

Edit: Just heard they Fire Marshall shut them down for an hour or so due to them being like 200 people beyond legal capacity.

Don't know about the Fire Marshall and the space problems in artist's alley, but I wouldn't be surprised. It was downright miserable in the dealer room. Couldn't look at anything without fighting through a wall of people. Could barely talk to creators in artist's alley either not due to lines but due to...throngs of people milling about because they had no place else to go. What a poo poo use of space.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Some people just aren't that good at running cons. There's a crew in Australia who keep trying to run mini-cons based on scifi shows and their drawcard is getting actors from the shows to fly to Australia, and from what I can gather they've had to cancel roughly 50% of their cons and refund everyone's ticket purchase when key actors have dropped out. I strongly suspect these guys are fans who organise these events so they get to hang out with their favourite actors.

See that promotion on their homepage for the Whoniverse con featuring Matt Smith? Yeah that got cancelled back in February when Matt and Karen Gillan pulled out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

Do you think Batman is a competent figure skater? I don't mean that he could be if he wanted to, and I know he can iceskate. But do you think in his training he learned to do like triple axles and poo poo just in case it came up?
If nothing else, he is not dumb enough to try ice skating uphill.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Mimir posted:

Have you seen Batman and Robin?
He was playing ice hockey, yo. That's different. I want to know if Batman can ice skate, jump, twirl in the air while tossing batarangs, and then catch Batgirl and hold her above his head while she throws smoke bombs at people.

I do like that Batman & Robin suggests to me that Batman potentially journeyed to Canada and trained with Wayne Gretzky on his quest to eradicate crime.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Timeless Appeal posted:

He was playing ice hockey, yo. That's different. I want to know if Batman can ice skate, jump, twirl in the air while tossing batarangs, and then catch Batgirl and hold her above his head while she throws smoke bombs at people.

I'm gonna go ahead and bet that you telling us why you want to know about Batman's figure skating ability is more interesting than any answer you're going to get on the topic.

Also, for what it's worth (and because I appreciate that you've put this image in my head), I vote no. No, Batman can't figure skate. Nightwing, possibly.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Sarchasm posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and bet that you telling us why you want to know about Batman's figure skating ability is more interesting than any answer you're going to get on the topic.

Also, for what it's worth (and because I appreciate that you've put this image in my head), I vote no. No, Batman can't figure skate. Nightwing, possibly.

I would bet that this would be a Robin job if it came up, and Bats would be his mean manager.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

While I don't dedicate any time to fan fiction, I sometimes do fantasize about stories I'd like to write for my favorite superheroes. I had this idea for this small sequence that shows a flashback to a young Bruce getting ballet lessons, and then flashes to Batman fighting this huge group of thugs, and keeps going back and forth between young Bruce learning ballet and Batman using those skills to handle this huge group without seriously hurting anyone. It just seemed like it would be a neat sequence.

And then the idea of Batman, for whatever reason, ice skating and then doing like a jump where he's throwing batarangs in all directions seemed both really cool and funny to me. And then it made me wonder if that was really in his wheelhouse.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Timeless Appeal posted:

While I don't dedicate any time to fan fiction, I sometimes do fantasize about stories I'd like to write for my favorite superheroes. I had this idea for this small sequence that shows a flashback to a young Bruce getting ballet lessons, and then flashes to Batman fighting this huge group of thugs, and keeps going back and forth between young Bruce learning ballet and Batman using those skills to handle this huge group without seriously hurting anyone. It just seemed like it would be a neat sequence.

And then the idea of Batman, for whatever reason, ice skating and then doing like a jump where he's throwing batarangs in all directions seemed both really cool and funny to me. And then it made me wonder if that was really in his wheelhouse.

Well Batman does prepare for anything.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Was Taters posted:

I would bet that this would be a Robin job if it came up, and Bats would be his mean manager.

The mean manager who gets his comeuppance!

Also the iceskating battle from the movie totally happened in the comics:

Batman 268 (October 1975)

Timeless Appeal posted:

While I don't dedicate any time to fan fiction, I sometimes do fantasize about stories I'd like to write for my favorite superheroes.

You don't have to dream it, you can totally recreate that scene in real life with these official iceskating Batman and Robin action figures:

They even have Bruce for the flashback ice skating training montage!

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 16, 2014

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
I'm sort of having the itch to buy some marvel or dc cards again. Is there a place aside for, eBay I can get my fix for good price?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Don't do it, man. We're here for you if you need to talk.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Soonmot posted:

Don't do it, man. We're here for you if you need to talk.

This, but it's not like those cards have any value whatsoever in 2014.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
But the smell of a freshly opened pack man. Those hastily written character bios. The sound of the foil wrapper....

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Jet Ready Go posted:

But the smell of a freshly opened pack man. Those hastily written character bios. The sound of the foil wrapper....

You can't buy sealed packs of Topps Series 2/3 Marvel cards anymore. Your argument is invalid.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

CzarChasm posted:

You can't buy sealed packs of Topps Series 2/3 Marvel cards anymore. Your argument is invalid.

Don't give up the dream! Scour the dollar stores. You never know what cast away cards end up there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Len posted:

Don't give up the dream! Scour the dollar stores. You never know what cast away cards end up there.

Thanks, but I really don't need assistance pissing away more of my cash. (Seriously, I just checked ebay and was disappointed with how few cards I saw there.)

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

CzarChasm posted:

Thanks, but I really don't need assistance pissing away more of my cash. (Seriously, I just checked ebay and was disappointed with how few cards I saw there.)

You want about 100 of the 90s Marvel cards? Opened and all but. Free?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I used to make awesome collages out of my old comicbook cards so they aren't completely useless. Follow your dreams man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
About 5-6 years ago I went loving nuts on ebay and bought about 20 sealed boxes of various cards. The only cards I felt like were worth holding onto were the Fleer Spider-man series by Mark Bagley and the Kingdom Come series. I think I dumped everything else into the store's cheap bins.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
Can anyone tell me anything interesting about or have any thoughts on a series called "Cholly & Flytrap"? It appears to be from Epic comics (I can't see to confirm if it's the same one as the Marvel imprint or not). I bought Book 1 on a whim last week and started reading it and I quite like the setting, the wrtier/artist Arthur Suydam seems to have a distinctly British sensibility, like I feel like I'm reading a 2000 AD story of an American character as written by a Brit, despite Suydam being American. I know that's a weird thing to take away from the book but I enjoy it all the more for it just because I have be on a big 2000 AD binge lately.

Regardless, I can't seem to find anything too elaborate online other than it appears someone pulled a lovely trick on the Image (reprint?) version of the story by completely warping a previously effiminate and gay character into a seemingly heterosexual girl. Really weird but I'm not reading that version, I just saw an article on Bleeding Cool.

I love the setting and wild character designs in the art and I'm curious if there's anything else in the series worth reading.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sundowner posted:

It appears to be from Epic comics (I can't see to confirm if it's the same one as the Marvel imprint or not).

Yeah it started out in Epic Illustrated which was Marvel's experiment to do their own version of Heavy Metal in the early-to-mid 80s. They had people like Barry Windsor-Smith, Bernie Wrightson, P. Craig Russell, Dave Sim and Wendy Pini contributing stories and Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta, The Brothers Hildebrandt and Boris Vallejo doing some of the covers.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Epic Comics was also a way for Marvel to experiment with publishing creator-owned content, though it also published some Marvel material (mainly for material they wanted to publish outside of the Comics Code Authority).

I admit I don't know much about the stories themselves in Epic Illustrated, though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

From the Spider-Man thread:

Edge & Christian posted:

It looks due for a cancelation/relaunch, given the fate of all of the other Marvel books that sold under 30,000 in December (January sales figures are out but Superior Foes didn't have an issue that shipped in January)
code:
Nova 11				$3.99	Marvel	27,982 
Cable And X-Force 17		$3.99	Marvel	27,712	(canceled/relaunched with new team)
Fantastic Four 15		$2.99	Marvel	27,610	(canceled/relaunched with new team)
Uncanny X-Force	15		$3.99	Marvel	27,567	(canceled/relaunched with new team)
Savage Wolverine 13		$3.99	Marvel	27,490	
Superior Spider-Man Team Up 7	$3.99	Marvel	25,514	(canceled)
Thunderbolts 19			$2.99	Marvel	24,959	
Superior Spider-Man Team Up 8	$3.99	Marvel	24,296	(canceled)
Avengers Assemble 22.INH	$3.99	Marvel	24,168	(canceled)
Secret Avengers 12		$3.99	Marvel	23,863	(canceled/relaunched with new team)
Secret Avengers 13		$3.99	Marvel	23,172	(canceled/relaunched with new team)
Young Avengers 13		$2.99	Marvel	23,019	(canceled/ended as planned?)
Young Avengers 14		$2.99	Marvel	22,692	(canceled/ended as planned?)
FF 15				$2.99	Marvel	22,034	(canceled)
Scarlet Spider 25		$3.99	Marvel	21,627	(canceled/relaunched as New Warriors)
Superior Foes of Spider-Man 6	$2.99	Marvel	21,367
Superior Foes of Spider-Man 7	$2.99	Marvel	20,858
Avengers Ai 7.INH		$2.99	Marvel	19,879	(canceled)
A Plus X 15			$3.99	Marvel	18,648	(canceled)
X-Men Legacy 21			$2.99	Marvel	18,574	(canceled)
Fearless Defenders 12		$3.99	Marvel	14,252	(canceled)

It's loving criminal that X-Men Legacy's sales dipped below 20k before it finished. It was one of the best books on the shelves for the entire run.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

irlZaphod posted:

It's loving criminal that X-Men Legacy's sales dipped below 20k before it finished. It was one of the best books on the shelves for the entire run.

Though well-written, it is fair to mention it was a book about Legion with frankly embarrassing art at times. The fact that a Legion series kept on for longer than four issues was a goddamn triumph in today's comic market.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Though well-written, it is fair to mention it was a book about Legion with frankly embarrassing art at times.

Awww, I like the art. It's skewed and distorted, but so is Legion's perception of things. I thought it was an intentional stylistic choice and one that I really liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yeah I liked the Legacy art too.

Also given that Bleeding COol aren't the source I am a bit more likely to believe it but DC are in talks to buy Dynamite.

• Locked thread