Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Xenomrph posted:

Nope, that stuff is never referenced or explained in anything else, which I think is partly for the best. A big part of what made 'Alien' scary was that the Alien was weird and hosed up and did a lot of disturbing poo poo we didn't understand, and it was that fear of the unknown/unknowable that made it extra scary.
Labyrinth understood that, so it introduced a bunch of crazy poo poo and didn't bother explaining it beyond "it's hosed up".

So it was basically Prometheus' "black goo" a decade and a half before Prometheus existed. :v:

The antagonist even states this himself: The Aliens act completely different than what he's been told they're known to do with humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
We still not have an Isolation thread yet?

Hm, well they released a developer diary spotlighting their design for the Xenomorph:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0yxWcY3LDM

Evidently the Alien works more off reactionary decisions than movement paths. They do have a point; the monsters in Amnesia became less scary once you could predict their pathing. They mention the gun noise drawing the alien again, which really does make me think that if you encounter human/android mooks then shooting will draw the alien out. Apart from that, a couple new screens and footage, but nothing major.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

THE BAR posted:

Some of the elements weren't explained, which I'd really like to read up on sometime, like the maggot goop they're force feeding people, where'd that come from? Also, is the "people being turned into wall-goop"-thing based on the cut scenes from the original Alien film?

That comic sure has something with goop in general. And I probably shouldn't have read Labyrinth first, as Steve Perry's trilogy came off as pretty lame in comparison. The Female War was especially bad, dull even!

Not everything in the flashback was necessarily truthful. Remember that it was a story being told by a guy who was definitely quite insane in order to garner sympathy from people who just saw his awful human experiments. Since very little of what was in his story lines up with Aliens lore then I'd expect that it was highly suspect.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BattleMaster posted:

Not everything in the flashback was necessarily truthful. Remember that it was a story being told by a guy who was definitely quite insane in order to garner sympathy from people who just saw his awful human experiments. Since very little of what was in his story lines up with Aliens lore then I'd expect that it was highly suspect.
I disagree, while he was morally unhinged I think he was very much mentally in control, and I think everything he said he saw while an Alien captive actually happened the way he saw it. He wasn't just torturing people just because it got him off, he was using really immoral methodology to recreate what he saw in the hopes of better controlling and understanding the Aliens.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Xenomrph posted:

I disagree, while he was morally unhinged I think he was very much mentally in control, and I think everything he said he saw while an Alien captive actually happened the way he saw it. He wasn't just torturing people just because it got him off, he was using really immoral methodology to recreate what he saw in the hopes of better controlling and understanding the Aliens.

I'm not so sure on his story being completely accurate - I guess it depends on whether you take the novel(la, really) as true or not - in it, Church thinks to himself (by way of the narration) that he has lied to Crespi and McGuinness after telling his story.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

IrvingWashington posted:

I'm not so sure on his story being completely accurate - I guess it depends on whether you take the novel(la, really) as true or not - in it, Church thinks to himself (by way of the narration) that he has lied to Crespi and McGuinness after telling his story.
I don't even remember that from the novel - I read the comic first, and I've always preferred the comic over the novel. I don't think I've read the novel version in the last decade, come to think of it.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/23/preview-alien-isolation-horror-game/

Ah boy, we're getting our first news of potentially massive problems. Guess the Total War guys haven't figured out how to do AI yet.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Spaceking posted:

Hm, well they released a developer diary spotlighting their design for the Xenomorph:

Evidently the Alien works more off reactionary decisions than movement paths. They do have a point; the monsters in Amnesia became less scary once you could predict their pathing. They mention the gun noise drawing the alien again, which really does make me think that if you encounter human/android mooks then shooting will draw the alien out. Apart from that, a couple new screens and footage, but nothing major.

Isolation sounds cool and all but god loving drat it why does it have to be Ripley's daughter? Spoiler alert: she lives. I just hate this need for franchises (Alien, Star Trek, Star Wars, etc) to be so self-referential. It was cool in Call of Duty 4 with the prologue mission having all sorts of little nods to Alien and Aliens. It's just eye rolling when A:CM felt the need to jam in every little thing from the movie and basically scream at you "HEY rear end in a top hat, REMEMBER THIS?!"

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

But how else would you know it's alien(s)? :confused:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Spaceking posted:

Ah boy, we're getting our first news of potentially massive problems. Guess the Total War guys haven't figured out how to do AI yet.

After actually reading this it seems the writer's issue was that the Alien is unpredictable and that he personally no longer finds the creature scary. The predictability (or lack thereof) is something I do hope they can balance before release. I felt like Miasmata did a great job of having its beast seem just on edge enough that you were always guessing even when you were doing everything right. Hopefully the developers study or studied it.

RPS posted:

Is it the Alien game we want? Is it the Alien game we deserve?

I love The Dark Knight but I can never forgive it for unleashing this phrasing into the nerd vernacular.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 26, 2014

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Neo Rasa posted:

I love The Dark Knight but I can never forgive it for unleashing this phrasing into the nerd vernacular.
You either ship a GOTY or get stuck in development long enough to become a DNF

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Spaceking posted:

Is there a reason they don't have the classic blip motion detector from the movies? That sound is creepy as gently caress and make everything more tense.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MrOnBicycle posted:

Is there a reason they don't have the classic blip motion detector from the movies? That sound is creepy as gently caress and make everything more tense.

I think they do? I watched that video and the motion detector didn't ever detect anything so we never got to hear the sound one way or the other.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Spaceking posted:

That was a terribly written article and the writer didn't seem to make any worthwhile, objective statements that could be construed as negative

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

This part of the article stood out to me the most.

Rock Paper Shotgun posted:

And I haven’t even mentioned the fact that there is, despite initial expectations, combat in the game. You can’t kill the alien, but you will have to fight an assortment of robots and other dumb bullshit because of course this is a video game and video games have to have combat.

I'm disappointed that players will be expected to fight robots, much like Colonial Marines threw so many human enemies at the player. Do they not have confidence in making a game solely about the aliens? I'd have thought that if they cared enough to make a game using the license, they'd care enough to make good use of the creature.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

You guys actually thought they were going to make Amnesia but with aliens, that's cute.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

You guys actually thought they were going to make Amnesia but with aliens, that's cute.

I've heard this mentioned before in regards to Alien but I've never played the game. Could you give a brief summary of how it compares and what the gameplay mechanics are like? I might check it out.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Organs posted:

I've heard this mentioned before in regards to Alien but I've never played the game. Could you give a brief summary of how it compares and what the gameplay mechanics are like? I might check it out.

You're in a big scary castle and there are monsters around, and absolutely no combat mechanics. If you get spotted, you have to run and hide and it is absolutely terrifying because you can't just shoot them with your plasma rifle.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The main point being that it's the least likely thing to be adopted as a game style by a major developer, especially for something that has gone beyond fanboyism and back again like Alien. Although "purist" horror games are gaining steam as a thing, especially with LPers putting on a show by constantly mugging for the camera while playing them.

Amnesia is pretty cheap on Steam, should run on just about anything, and got a sequel recently (that wasn't received that well? Can't remember).

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Are the monster appearances in Amnesia scripted, or is it completely random where and when you run into them?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Organs posted:

Are the monster appearances in Amnesia scripted, or is it completely random where and when you run into them?

It's generally a combination of scripted things and free-wheeling monsters. You have to hide a lot, but staying in shadows makes you lose your mind.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

You're in a big scary castle and there are monsters around, and absolutely no combat mechanics. If you get spotted, you have to run and hide and it is absolutely terrifying because you can't just shoot them with your plasma rifle.

You also can't even look at the monsters because there's a sanity mechanic and looking at the monsters damages that and if he gets too low you start making too much noise to stay hidden in the shadows. So you hide in a corner or behind a box, staring at the wall or panel, taking quick glances out or behind you every now and then, hoping the thing isn't shambling right toward you.

In practice its actually pretty easy to avoid the monsters but at the time it certainly doesn't feel like it.

This also doesn't apply to its quasi-sequel, A Machine For Pigs, which was mostly done by a different developer and removed a lot from the original game, including the sanity effect.

Organs posted:

I want to say its kind of a "randomly scripted" type thing. There are definitely parts where you will always run into a "surprise" monster, whereas others are always there but have random patrol paths, and others may or may not actually show up.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.
Amnesia was horribly on rails scripted in the second game while the first was just lightly sprinkled with scripting and a monster that shows up at certain junctions in hallways depending on player positions.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

That was a terribly written article and the writer didn't seem to make any worthwhile, objective statements that could be construed as negative

I thought it did a good job at describing the problem wrong with the game at this stage. I mean, I really don't know how you would make an objective statement about a "hands-on" experience about a game especially with regards to AI.

He basically described what I find annoying about a lot of games that aren't really made for stealth, and that is where you can do one thing and have someone spot you over and over again, and then do the same drat thing another time and have it mysteriously work.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Thanks for the information, I'll give Amnesia a go. The AI sounds like it's handled really well if they alternate to random appearances and patrol paths, while still keeping some specifically designed scare moments in there as well. Going back to what sparked this discussion though, what do people want out of a modern Alien game at this point? I'm sure nobody wants guns and robot/human enemies, but what would make for a great Alien game in the first place?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Organs posted:

Thanks for the information, I'll give Amnesia a go. The AI sounds like it's handled really well if they alternate to random appearances and patrol paths, while still keeping some specifically designed scare moments in there as well. Going back to what sparked this discussion though, what do people want out of a modern Alien game at this point? I'm sure nobody wants guns and robot/human enemies, but what would make for a great Alien game in the first place?

Just give me something like the marine campaign from the new AvP. I don't mind human enemies as long as fighting them isn't a chore. I like my enemies to react when they are shot, not soak up bullets before losing their health and finally dying.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think they do? I watched that video and the motion detector didn't ever detect anything so we never got to hear the sound one way or the other.

The motion detector in the movies made a thumping sound every time it sent out a ~motion detection wave~. Added a lot to the suspense in my opinion.

VVV: Thanks, that was the answer I was looking for. Makes sense then.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 28, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The one in Alien didn't do that. It was a loud *beep beep beep* whenever the Alien was near. That's the Aliens one you're thinking of. A device that exists 50 years into the future from when this game takes place.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
We've known for a while now the game had weapons and combat against non-Xeno enemies, so I have no idea why that article mentions expectations that there wouldn't be. I also don't see why that has to be a bad thing, plenty of great horror games have had combat, and from the sound of the article it looks like its problems are actually because it's implementing the Amnesia style of horror game really badly.

The two big problems I saw in the article are 1) inconsistent AI which makes the game feel less like sneaking past an unstoppable monster and more like just brute forcing a section until the AI decides not to spot you, and 2) once the Xeno spots you, there's no frantic scramble to escape, no Hail Mary shots, no frantically thinking of what you did wrong that could have bought you more time now, just 'Oh darn, I moved out of cover a bit too early :/'. It was an early demo so those might be fixed still but the article didn't sound like the game was in a state that was ready to show off.

Also, for recommendations to games similar to Amnesia, Penumbra: Overture and Black Plague are made by the same team that made Amnesia, and are very similar but on an arctic research base instead of a castle. The first game has combat but I felt it was well done and still kept the game scary (and I personally feel it was scarier than the second). There is also Penumbra: Requiem, but that game was very poorly received.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 29, 2014

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

If they're going to make a fps version of Aliens, it should be more like Rainbow Six 3 and less like COD. Not necessarily a cover shooter, but something where it actually matters who is holding what ground. Combine that with some elements of survival horror and it's not hard to imagine a decent game.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I seem to recall the Isolation devs outright saying that there's one Alien in the entire game and you can't kill it. If the AI truly is as unpredictable as they're touting, and if the Alien is equally hostile to other enemies (like it should be), I think it could lead to some really fun encounters.

You'd have to pick your fights for fear of the Alien dropping in and murdering everyone, or perhaps try to use enemies as (unwitting) bait to divert the Alien's attention, etc.

There's a lot of possibilities in my opinion.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Xenomrph posted:

I seem to recall the Isolation devs outright saying that there's one Alien in the entire game and you can't kill it. If the AI truly is as unpredictable as they're touting, and if the Alien is equally hostile to other enemies (like it should be), I think it could lead to some really fun encounters.

You'd have to pick your fights for fear of the Alien dropping in and murdering everyone, or perhaps try to use enemies as (unwitting) bait to divert the Alien's attention, etc.

There's a lot of possibilities in my opinion.
You're basing the entire chain of predictions on the idea that the Alien and robot enemies AI will be able to interact. We don't know that and the most probable scenario even from the ease of development point of view is that the hiding-from-the-Alien sections and shooting-the-enemies sections will be separate interwined levels and both AIs will only interact during scripted sequences/cutscenes. I'd like the other possibility to be true but it's incredibly complicated and risky to implement from the devlopers' side.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Palpek posted:

You're basing the entire chain of predictions on the idea that the Alien and robot enemies AI will be able to interact. We don't know that and the most probable scenario even from the ease of development point of view is that the hiding-from-the-Alien sections and shooting-the-enemies sections will be separate interwined levels and both AIs will only interact during scripted sequences/cutscenes. I'd like the other possibility to be true but it's incredibly complicated and risky to implement from the devlopers' side.

The developers have already said that the game is designed in a way where you are hesitant to use any gun you may find because the sound could attract the alien so unless they're being completely bullshit there's going to be interaction.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Palpek posted:

I remember even the original Quake had AI that was capable of fighting each other, so I'd be disappointed if something like that was considered too difficult for a development studio to implement in 2014.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How can you guys possibly give this new game that much credence when you're posting in the Aliens: Colonial Marines thread.

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi2613444633

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Creative Assembly is doing the game. So expect the AI to be broken at the very, very best. Hell, even expecting the game to run at release is hoping for a lot knowing how busted the Total War games launch.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Organs posted:

I remember even the original Quake had AI that was capable of fighting each other, so I'd be disappointed if something like that was considered too difficult for a development studio to implement in 2014.
This isn't a bunch of grunts shooting at one another though which is the point. We're talking about extremely asymmetric AI - a lot of weak guys on one side and one invincible alien on the other. Balancing that in a way that makes the game not scripted and still making sense is difficult.

If you let the Alien just be completely dynamic you'll have the player shoot a bullet and hide in a corner while he clears the room making it completely chaotic/broken and unfun. On the other hand if you allow for the player to shoot with no consequences - the threat will be gone and the interactions will only be possible in specific circumstances and scripted events (most probable scenario, open combat is being thrown into the game to make it 'fun' according to the publisher after all).

I'd really like this game to have big levels with enemies roaming freely and an alien with a true AI that messes with all that while the gameplay remains fun and challenging (say stealth gameplay from Dishonored with an addition of an AI monster) but I really doubt this will be the case.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Organs posted:

This part of the article stood out to me the most.

I'm disappointed that players will be expected to fight robots, much like Colonial Marines threw so many human enemies at the player. Do they not have confidence in making a game solely about the aliens? I'd have thought that if they cared enough to make a game using the license, they'd care enough to make good use of the creature.

I just lost all hope for this game but I'm still going to buy it day one like a dumb-rear end.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Even before the game was announced early leaks clearly stated it was a game where you fought predominately human enemies while a single Alien, mostly scripted, stalked you.

Why is anyone surprised?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Just let Obsidian go and make the Aliens RPG, SEGA. :(

• Locked thread