Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Bolivar posted:

I'm aware the source is Daily mail, but the timeline actually makes it the most plausible theory so far.

"The Mail on Sunday has learned that Captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah was an ‘obsessive’ supporter of Malaysia’s opposition leader, Anwar Ibrahim. And hours before the doomed flight left Kuala Lumpur it is understood 53-year-old Shah attended a controversial trial in which Ibrahim was jailed for five years"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-sodomite.html

So basically, his hero got sentenced to jail for probably ridiculous and fabricated malaysian-style reasons (just assuming without knowing the case), pilot goes nuts and takes the plane on a wild ride before crashing it on land or sea.

He wasn't jailed though - he remains free on bail whilst he appeals to the Court of Appeal. Then he can appeal to the Federal Court, who overturned his last conviction.

If he crashed the plane as some sort of political protest why didn't he tell anyone? Leave a note at least? He hasn't made his point at all. Unless he just went crazy for no apparent reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Bolivar posted:

I'm aware the source is Daily mail, but the timeline actually makes it the most plausible theory so far.

Nah

Skipjack
Sep 11, 2007

I prefer a quiet station,
thank you.
All the passengers were chatting and were like ugh Beijing sucks why dont we go someplace else instead and then they tried but ran out fuel

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Imagine if they flew through a temporary wormhole and arrived in Earth 1BC.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

from the captain's facebook, supposedly

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
was that the one who loved dick dorkins

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Bold Robot posted:

That looks like raw pork. Looks like the Jihadist theory has a few holes in it.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.
Possibly a stupid question, but why is it an option to turn the transponder off on a commercial jet?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

they need (or at least want to) be able to turn things off if they start on fire or whatever. so everything gets switches/breakers

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

R.A. Dickey posted:

Possibly a stupid question, but why is it an option to turn the transponder off on a commercial jet?

It's in case it malfunctions and starts to overheat or something. You want to be able to cut power to it to avoid a fire.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

You know, Top Gun took place in an unknown location in the middle of the Indian Ocean. That would put this plane right in the

Danger Zone.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

WastedJoker posted:

guys, I think we found something:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
its practically a confession

get teh dogs

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Bold Robot posted:

I feel like we may have lost a goon. :rip:

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

WastedJoker posted:

guys, I think we found something:

Is that photoshopped? That's not a Boeing 777. Malaysia so incompetent they can't even get their disappearing airplanes right.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

That can't be real. It isn't even a picture of a 777.

E: beaten like the ocean when a plane hits it

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 16, 2014

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

The Casualty posted:

That can't be real. It isn't even a picture of a 777.

that's what sells it for me.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Lots of people are starting to ask questions about Diego Garcia, which is a theory that popped up in this thread within a couple days :o: If the US military has radar of practically the whole Indian Ocean (which I assume you would want if you're hosting a secret Naval base there), why aren't they sharing it or even talking about it?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Roargasm posted:

Lots of people are starting to ask questions about Diego Garcia, which is a theory that popped up in this thread within a couple days :o: If the US military has radar of practically the whole Indian Ocean (which I assume you would want if you're hosting a secret Naval base there), why aren't they sharing it or even talking about it?

They wouldn't necessarily. Radar radius around DG wouldn't cover beyond the line of sight for the antenna, and we have no idea if/when/where airborne radar or ships were operating in the area.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

In the absence of any kind of real evidence, here is my theory:

No one on the plane had any intention of committing suicide when the plane took off, but some time during the flight, the pilot and first officer got into some kind of argument and a physical fight broke out in the cockpit. One of them is killed, and the other, who would be looking at either the death penalty or life in prison, freaks the gently caress out and locks himself in the cockpit alone.

He then decides that he doesn't want to go down in history as a murder or leave his family destitute, so he switches off the transponder and all the other communication sources he can think of, but forgets/doesn't know about the engine diagnostics, and puts the plane on a course to crash somewhere way the gently caress away from where anyone would look for it, and hopes that he can create enough doubt about what occurred that it will look like either equipment failure or a hijacking gone wrong.

Edit: In keeping with thread tradition, let's also say that the argument started when one of the pilots got jizz on the other during some kind of in-flight orgy in the cockpit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That's dumber than saying the plane went through a stargate to Planet X

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

You know that semi-schizo conspiracy theory that people have where literally everything that happens to them is done by design?
Traffic patterns, people at the store eyeing them the wrong way etc? Gang stalking, it's called.

Every passenger and the entire airline was in on it for one dude on this plane who always knew it.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
So lets assume only the pilots knew about switching off the transmitters-- what would they achieve by this? They probably assumed most countries were competent enough to track them with radar so they knew that wouldn't necessarily work to disappear, right? (except it did, but what are the odds really?)

What would it have achieved? If it's suicide-- what, you made a mystery of yourself and get to die knowing you'll be remembered that way?

If it's terrorism, what was the point? Just kill everybody, don't turn off the transmitters

If it's a hijacking, where the hell did they think they could land without being intercepted by said country's military?

I dont see how anybody who is smart enough to take over a plane is dumb enough to think they can truly hide a plane with so much radar out there. I mean isnt it seriously just pure chance they "disappeared"?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Azathoth posted:

Edit: In keeping with thread tradition, let's also say that the argument started when one of the pilots got jizz on the other during some kind of in-flight orgy in the cockpit.

Obviously only one blonde Australian showed up in the cockpit, and the pilots didn't want to go fingercuffs.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Azathoth posted:

In the absence of any kind of real evidence, here is my theory:

Your theory is stupid as hell. Also, I thought of it first and posted it a few pages ago.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

jscolon2.0 posted:

That looks like raw pork. Looks like the Jihadist theory has a few holes in it.
:stare: But what if instead it's raw Chinese person he's holding in the bowl?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Ok, time to close the thread; CBS has wrapped up the situation for everyone:

"CBS" posted:

Even with new information about the fate of Malaysian Airlines Flight 370 coming to light Sunday, experts say that the plane's disappearance is still shrouded in mystery and might never be found.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/malaysia-airlines-flight-370-post-disappearance-moves-suggest-sophisticated-handling-experts-say/

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a theory thought up by a Danish engineer, Poul-Henning Kamp.

http://ing.dk/blog/smarte-flykaprere-167056

You may know him from the D-Link-NTP fiasco:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060409135145/http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/dlink/

Short summary: The plane had parts bound for Iran and their nuclear reactor, the plane went undetected because flight controllers don't investigate planes coming from unregulated airspace (the middle of the ocean) too closely, and it's sitting in some hangar in Kyrgystan while the parts were driven over land to Iran.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Reddit saw a thing and there are "reports" of luggage in the water.

http://www.bigbreakingnews.com/2014/03/did-reddit-find-malaysian-airlines.html?m=1#.UyXmnNS9LCQ

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

brylcreem posted:

Here's a theory thought up by a Danish engineer, Poul-Henning Kamp.

http://ing.dk/blog/smarte-flykaprere-167056

You may know him from the D-Link-NTP fiasco:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060409135145/http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/dlink/

Short summary: The plane had parts bound for Iran and their nuclear reactor, the plane went undetected because flight controllers don't investigate planes coming from unregulated airspace (the middle of the ocean) too closely, and it's sitting in some hangar in Kyrgystan while the parts were driven over land to Iran.

So what about the poeple on board?

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo
Of course Malaysia Airlines is still running the same callsign on their daily KUL-PEK trip.

"Now boarding flight 370 to Beijing."

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/MAS370

:stare:

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

They , must havr some insane patterm recognition software becaue I cant tell what the gently caress is in those pictures. Or if there is anything at all.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

maybe....?
idk ask that greek ship how long ago was this reported

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vladimir Putin posted:

So what about the poeple on board?

Oh right, sorry.

The short climb to 45.000 feet was to knock out the passengers. That way you can save fuel by not having to run the air conditioning or having to keep the cabin pressurised.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
So, if the southern route is more likely - what are the candidate islands out there that could suggest a sort of :lost:-type scenario?

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

I don't even need to click on that link to reply that the answer to the question in the headline - "Did Reddit find Malaysian Airlines 370?" - is "No they loving didn't".

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Vladimir Putin posted:

They , must havr some insane patterm recognition software becaue I cant tell what the gently caress is in those pictures. Or if there is anything at all.

That photo was taken on Wednesday. That's a pretty dense debris field for 4 days of ocean currents.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Reddit also "found" the Boston bomber five times in some random crowd shots.

Edit: to clarify, five different dudes who had no connection whatsoever to the bombings.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

For some reason reddit is obsessed with combing random stretches of sea on that tomnod site even though at this point it really really doesn't look like it crashed in the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
Cause they want the fame, i mean imagine if you did find it

Problem is, for them,is they like pics of little naked kids

• Locked thread