Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I finally upgraded to 9, anything in particular I need to watch out for?

Also I see a bunch of people in here talking about the virtues of Push. It looks cool but I already use an APC40 controller that seems like it covers a lot of the same territory, and it's worked out great. Would Push offer any major advantage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Playing in a set scale, step sequencing, looking badass.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Earwicker posted:

Also I see a bunch of people in here talking about the virtues of Push. It looks cool but I already use an APC40 controller that seems like it covers a lot of the same territory, and it's worked out great. Would Push offer any major advantage?

I really like the Glue compressor, it's a lot of fun to play with as a bus.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know what you mean as a bus but the glue compressor owns. It makes regular, less sticky compressor, sound like raw rear end

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

echinopsis posted:

I don't know what you mean as a bus but the glue compressor owns. It makes regular, less sticky compressor, sound like raw rear end

Well it's a bus compressor, so the idea is to put it on a separate bus (like a return rack) and then compress the other instruments into it. It rubberbands them together.

It's music though so there are really no rules!

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

echinopsis posted:

Does anyone else tend to find instructional videos frustrating as gently caress because they take 30 minutes to explain 1 or 2 ideas that could have been written down and subsequently read in 5 minutes?

What I really need to learn is how to actually have musical talent and how to force myself to spend more than an hour on a track.

It's maddening to me that I often have no idea how to search on Google for the exact specific fact I need, and I end up watching 10 tangentially-related videos until I finally get it, mostly while thinking TALK FASTER ARRRGH. I hope this goes away, once I'm not a beginner anymore and I know more of the words for things.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Griff Lee posted:

I really like the Glue compressor, it's a lot of fun to play with as a bus.

Yeah, me too. I A-B'd it against the SSL Bus Compressor VST that runs off of my Duende (SSL DSP box with a suite of plugins), and for the purposes I most often use a bus compressor (back-bus stuff to crush the gently caress out of drums) I think it actually sounds a lot better. I'm finding it handy for basslines as well; it 'glues' the sub bass to the mids nicely.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah, me too. I A-B'd it against the SSL Bus Compressor VST that runs off of my Duende (SSL DSP box with a suite of plugins), and for the purposes I most often use a bus compressor (back-bus stuff to crush the gently caress out of drums) I think it actually sounds a lot better. I'm finding it handy for basslines as well; it 'glues' the sub bass to the mids nicely.

There is a fascinating article for anyone interested in the Glue Compressor that talks about it's design and creation.

Digi_Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 22, 2014

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

Griff Lee posted:

There is a fascinating article for anyone interested in the Glue Compressor that talks about it's design and creation.

Nice. This guy's code sounds amazing. He made DCAM's Synth Squad as well.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

renderful posted:

Nice. This guy's code sounds amazing. He made DCAM's Synth Squad as well.

Nothing but respect for him and the Valhalla dude.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Radiapathy posted:

Nothing but respect for him and the Valhalla dude.

Agreed, Sean is top notch. Do not forget Randy of Madrona Labs.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

BigWig is out for those that are interested. $400

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/03/26/bitwig-studio-now-available-for-linux-mac-windows/#more-55957

EAB
Jan 18, 2011

Been following Bitwig for a while, still waiting for a torrent to play with it. Most likely gonna buy it.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Anybody have a breakdown between BitWig and Live feature-wise? I have been doing a little reading but haven't followed closely. Live seems much more established having been developed for years, though I'm always curious when someone new enters the arena.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

I made some fun things with it today. Would be nice to save, like Live's demo. Guess I'll route the audio and record it.

renderful fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 27, 2014

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I think it has some nice features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-OOWwLJSdM

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

In Bitwig the delay has a killer thing called FB FX, where you can host devices inside of the feedback loop of the delay itself. I've gotten some killer sounds out of it(filter and frequency shifter inside the feedback loop pfffft). Many devices also have WET FX which only process the wet portion of the effect and mixes the effect into the output.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Reso bank, freqshifter, and chorus in the TankFX of a hall reverb are kinda fun too.

I like it so far but quite a few nontrivial bugs.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Oh poo poo, there are TankFX? I keep getting surprised by little hidden features and realizations of possibilities. So far this demo is dangerous for my wallet. Not quite ready to drop 4 bills, but it is quite the inspiring tool. A few of the modulation relationships that I've realized are about to be translated to my Numerology<->Live workflow. The ease of modulation and nesting of effects leads me to do things that I may not have gone to the trouble of trying otherwise. It actually makes me appreciate the fact that Live implemented a lot of this stuff via M4L years ago, and reminds me of how lazy I've been in using it to its potential.

What bugs have you run into? None here so far, so I'm curious. I know they're in there.

Also digging the caps lock computer keyboard MIDI activation/deactivation.

renderful fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 27, 2014

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
KVR brings us this thread: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=259&t=406913

Wherein Live detractors who spite-bought Bitwig introduce decadent amounts of plugin latency in their projects, ready to blast a glorious delay-compensated gently caress YOU to Ableton over the Internet only to discover similar PDC issues in Bitwig. Weeping and teeth-gnashing does ensue.

Just make some goddam music you dumb motherfuckers.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Yeah the PDC thing is one, but the thread is very mistitled, it does seem to just be a bug and not the apparently unfixable clusterfuck that's going on in Ableton.

Another one was that I have gotten the nested FX into a state where none of them can be removed a couple times, when moving things around a lot (including between tracks, etc). Haven't really noticed a way to reproduce it reliably.

There is also some weird poo poo going on with automation in clips, where sometimes a clip with no automation will retain the value that another automated clip ended on, and sometimes it will revert to the knob position. This one is really a pain in the rear end for me since I use a shitload of automation.

But anyway I think it's just the usual v1.0 stuff, there's bound to be bugs, I'm sure they'll sort it out. Lot of great things about Bitwig. I definitely recommend trying it. The people who expect it to be exactly like Live but with all the stuff they personally don't like changed are obviously going to be disappointed, but it is a real solid start in terms of workflow and concept.

breaks fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 27, 2014

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'm getting persistent crashes with bigwigs demo.

Been thinking about buying live but I'm wondering if the release of bigwig will drive the price down some.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Radiapathy posted:

Just make some goddam music you dumb motherfuckers.

Thread title

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

DAWs and plugins are like videogames and downloadable content to the folks at KVR. They're not for making music, they're for benchmarking computers and wasting time.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

re: Bitwig - Does anyone know how to use the built-in LFOs to modulate 3rd party VST parameters? Is it even possible?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

So I'm still working on this.....

- 40x2 character LCD
- 16 RGB buttons
- 10 encoders

All open source, built on Teensy (arduino clone), shows up as a standard MIDI device, which you can even rename in the Teensy library.

I'm in the near final stages of PCB design, I just need to make sure the hardware in this config doesn't bog down the software. The encoders have to be very responsive. I've also made the acceleration variables easy to adjust so if you're really into tweaking how your knobs feel, there's going to be nothing on the market as customizable as this.

I'm doing a limited pilot run of 25, shipping later this year. Anyone interested?

RivensBitch fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 27, 2014

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

Kilmers Elbow posted:

re: Bitwig - Does anyone know how to use the built-in LFOs to modulate 3rd party VST parameters? Is it even possible?

Yes, it works in the same way as modulating any other device.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

renderful posted:

Yes, it works in the same way as modulating any other device.

That is, as far as I understand it; You place the VST *inside* the LFO/whatever kind of. It took me a few minutes to get it (it was the first thing I tried) but it works wonderfully.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Your Computer posted:

That is, as far as I understand it; You place the VST *inside* the LFO/whatever kind of. It took me a few minutes to get it (it was the first thing I tried) but it works wonderfully.

That's it, thanks.

I was creating an LFO, then a VST, and then attempting to drag the LFO 'thing' to the parameter list.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
Why is this in the Ableton thread

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

RivensBitch posted:

So I'm still working on this.....

What is the intent exactly? Just a general midi controller, or is there an application in mind? (Feel free to link to previous posts or something if I missed them)

I'm interested primarily because I'm also an engineer nerd playing with arduino midi/audio control.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Griff Lee posted:

Specifically to annoy you.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

What is the intent exactly? Just a general midi controller, or is there an application in mind? (Feel free to link to previous posts or something if I missed them)

I'm interested primarily because I'm also an engineer nerd playing with arduino midi/audio control.

I'll be making arduino sketches for this that will allow it to control the ableton mixer, the currently selected device rack, step sequencers, and more. But ultimately I want to create a larger sketch that encompasses those functions and lets you create layers based on color coding. Got lots of synths that you want to control? They can be different shades of purple. Vocal FX? Greens. Mixing can be blue or red. The group of four buttons on the left and their encoder could be for navigating these layers, select a preset with the encoder and then the four buttons represent control layers. Press the red button and now all the buttons change to red, and you're controlling those parameters.

But those are just my ideas. The key is that since it's open source, you can make it control whatever you want. Do you want it to be a Mackie Control? I've already programmed a Max patch that emulates the protocol, so one of my tasks will be to make an Arduino sketch for it. If I could get my hands on a push controller I might even be able to emulate a lot of it's functions, but in a much smaller footprint (currently 10" wide by 4" tall).

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I honestly can't think of a use that I would really have for it (mostly because I already have a Push and a few midi controllers) but I am interested in supporting your work just because I like the idea of an open-source controller.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Griff Lee posted:

Because it's a DAW that's designed with a very similar feature set to ableton.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I'm probably being stupid and missing something but I have an annoying issue in 9's file browser where all my instruments from 8 are "buried" like so:

You'd think you'd be able to just drag them over to the "Places" area to turn them into shortcuts, but nope. I can't make a new folder shortcut and navigate to them because they are in some weirdly hidden folder even though I can get there in a normal finder window :confused: Also there seems to be no way to navigate to these instruments or add them in the normal upper "instruments" area which is also annoying. Does anyone know how to make this easier?

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Earwicker posted:

I'm probably being stupid and missing something but I have an annoying issue in 9's file browser where all my instruments from 8 are "buried" like so:

You'd think you'd be able to just drag them over to the "Places" area to turn them into shortcuts, but nope. I can't make a new folder shortcut and navigate to them because they are in some weirdly hidden folder even though I can get there in a normal finder window :confused: Also there seems to be no way to navigate to these instruments or add them in the normal upper "instruments" area which is also annoying. Does anyone know how to make this easier?

You can only put folders in Places. So create folders that organize the things you want over there and drag the folders over.

grafyte
Jul 12, 2006

Earwicker posted:

It's actually a different feel - I own both an APC40 and Push - aside from obvious layout differences there are a few advantages to both.

The APC40
- easy to map everything and the addition of sliders makes certain things more simple if you're keen to get in to the nitty gritty of midi mapping.
- there's a nice array of nobs and faders

The Push
- It's smaller, but actually not lighter
- Strong construction - built like a tank. A 4Kg tank.
- Really awesome to use though - the motion on all the nobs and stuff is great
- has all the colours that Ableton has, so the pads will change accordingly
- It's built with creation in mind, as opposed to strictly playback or performance - so it's got lots of nifty tools for putting sounds and sequences together

Disadvantages:

The APC40
- Not great build construction
- No lovely colours
- Kinda big

The Push
- Lack of faders might pose a problem if you're using it for live performance
- Takes a bit of getting used to in terms of switching between views, and getting things working well. There are videos on Abletons site - but it's a lot to take in - will take you a while to get used to it.

To be honest - I was going to sell my APC40 - but I'm reconsidering now, since I'd like to have it for live performance, in addition to the Push.

Also - APC is bringing out a new bunch of controllers, so they might address some of the APC issues, making it a pretty formidable piece of kit.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
Does anyone know if it's possible to have the rotary encoders on the Akai MPK25 send relative motion to Ableton instead of absolute position? When I saw they were endlessly rotating instead of potentiometer-style, I assumed that they'd work like the ones on the APC40 or whatever, except without the fancy LED rings that tell you the controlled parameter's current state. Turns out the MPK25 converts the encoders' motion to absolute positions from 0-127 internally, and transmits that value to the host. The manual describes a configuration procedure for switching the encoders from regular MIDI CC to increment/decrement NRPN, but it's not clear if there's any way to command Ableton to take that information and do what I want with it. Is anybody familiar with this sort of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I got a TR-8 but it's my first piece of hardware so I'm not really sure how to hook it up with Ableton. I'm pretty new to the software to begin with and I've only found instructions that assume I already know how to hook hardware up. I have the drivers and it's in my settings but I really have no clue how to set up all the channels. I'm using Live 8 if it makes a difference. Any advice for a beginner would be great!