Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Kavak posted:

The core problem is that since a nuclear war has never happened

Haha take a look at this idiot. Wake up sheeple, how do you think the Cold War was won?

Patter Song posted:

I'm not even sure why this happened. I had 4k men to Holstein's 3k and Holstein had a better general.

Have you looked at your discipline? Maybe it's STAGGERING and Holstein's is only ACCEPTABLE.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Spiderfist Island posted:

That's a still from EUIV showing that the CK2->EUIV converter now includes the new regions and Jainism when porting over.

Wow, I can't believe I missed that. Oops.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Patter Song posted:

Missed good old World Stage, so I decided to play around as Lubeck for a bit.

Check out the section "One of the following must be true:" on that decision.

EDIT:

Um...good for you, Thuringia?

What is the difference between a regular old diplomat and a Jewish diplomat?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The last pic in that DD has Tibet in it, so I dunno if they changed their mind.

While this is from EU4, it does make me wonder how/whether Paradox will model the Mongols and Timurids once Rajas of India comes out. The Timurids, especially, will suddenly no longer be forming an empire off-map but will be doing it right there in areas the player can see. Does that mean they won't exist in their current form, of a giant horse archer horde, and Paradox will rely on procedural generation of some kind of empire at some point in the game to fill the same role, instead? Or will there still be an event that spawns Timur and 100,000 horse archers in Samarkand, but no guarantee which way they'll go?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

vyelkin posted:

While this is from EU4, it does make me wonder how/whether Paradox will model the Mongols and Timurids once Rajas of India comes out. The Timurids, especially, will suddenly no longer be forming an empire off-map but will be doing it right there in areas the player can see. Does that mean they won't exist in their current form, of a giant horse archer horde, and Paradox will rely on procedural generation of some kind of empire at some point in the game to fill the same role, instead? Or will there still be an event that spawns Timur and 100,000 horse archers in Samarkand, but no guarantee which way they'll go?

Paradox already addressed this. Tamerlane will start in the court of someone in Uzbekistan, before wandering off to become an adventurer and smash in some heads.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

vyelkin posted:

Jewish diplomats have MEGA DIASPORA POWERS that make them many orders of magnitude more effective, but also make your populace of mega antisemites extremely pissed off. Apparently civil wars started over over reliance on Jews.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

RabidWeasel posted:

Jewish diplomats have MEGA DIASPORA POWERS that make them many orders of magnitude more effective, but also make your populace of mega antisemites extremely pissed off. Apparently civil wars started over over reliance on Jews.
Orders of magnitude might be exaggerating a bit, but yeah, that's pretty much it. It balances more powerful (and slightly different) bonuses against a significant increase in revolt risk. (like +1RR per rank.) It also allows certain events to fire, good or bad. I never found them particularly useful in the mod, but having a lot of provinces with Jewish settlement was loving amazing, since they were pretty eager to donate stuff when you were at war. (Which gave you either ducats, a general, or a reduction in war exhaustion.)

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 14, 2014

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Hey guys, for DH what is the difference between putting down an event as random and putting a higher offset than the time between the date and deathdate? Wouldn't putting 90 Offset and 30 days between date and deathdate effectively make it random?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ThePutty posted:

No wonder Paradox isn't licensing their engine anymore.

Paradox has a problem with the way they license their stuff. The Paradox Interative and Paradox Development Studio difference is lost on most people. When a poo poo game gets released they take a double whammy because it's often confused to mean PDS itself.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

YouTuber posted:

Paradox has a problem with the way they license their stuff. The Paradox Interative and Paradox Development Studio difference is lost on most people. When a poo poo game gets released they take a double whammy because it's often confused to mean PDS itself.

Yeah, unfortunately they probably should change their publishing name so that the status of their dev studio isn't tanked every time they publish a third party bomb. Bethesda vs Zenimax is a good example there.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

YouTuber posted:

Not to mention both Magna Mundi and East vs West look and feel like Paradox games. When I played World Stage, I instinctively assumed that F11 would be the screenshot button and of course it was, or that I could raise regiments by right-clicking on a province like one did in EU3, and of course it worked. Hopefully East vs West feels more distinct from HOI3 than Magna Mundi did EU3, but there's a similar effect. In a lot of ways, Magna Mundi/World Stage feels like a poor knockoff of Europa Universalis that you'd get at an outdoor market in Hong Kong.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Hopefully East vs West feels more distinct from HOI3 than Magna Mundi did EU3,

Uhhhh, yeah, about that...

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Cantorsdust posted:

Yeah, unfortunately they probably should change their publishing name so that the status of their dev studio isn't tanked every time they publish a third party bomb. Bethesda vs Zenimax is a good example there.

Yeah, I've felt this way for a while. It's needlessly confusing. I think the Publishing arm should change it's name, personally, as I think 'Paradox' is most strongly associated with the internal studios games, not Sword of the Stars 2 and Gettysburg: Armored Warfare or whatever else the publishing arm throws out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cantorsdust posted:

You still see Bethesda's name pop up on games like Dishonored. In their case, Zenimax sees Bethesda as a popular brand and want to attach that name to as many games as possible.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

ArchangeI posted:

Uhhhh, yeah, about that...

Yeah, it's never getting released, I mean the EvW that's sitting on some guy's harddrive. It's continued existence justifies present verb tense...just because we don't get it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
On that note, did the Paradox forums ever acknowledge that the released/leaked version of Magna Mundi was terrible or are there diehards still claiming that it would have sold well and was worthy of a release?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
So I was taking a peek through some EUIV mods on Steam Workshop when I came across something that was as fantastic sounding as it was unexpected.

quote:

So this is a project I started to make the Netherlands area a bit more interesting to play in, but launched into an complete overhaul of all area on the map.

Some of the Features now:
- Redone Coasts
- Redone Borders (Netherlands, HRE, PLC, Britain,and many other places)
- More History
- Fixed cities positions.
- Straits

quote:

- Straits

The noble work of EvW lives on

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I was actually looking at that mod earlier. The artistic style is pretty nice, and some of the changes are good! But then I discovered that he'd started removing vanilla provinces (New Zealand's North Island is only one province now, for instance) and also, look at this:

Argh.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Alikchi posted:

I was actually looking at that mod earlier. The artistic style is pretty nice, and some of the changes are good! But then I discovered that he'd started removing vanilla provinces (New Zealand's North Island is only one province now, for instance) and also, look at this:

Argh.

Yeah, I hope he releases a mod with only the textures rather than the changed provinces et al, because it is drat pretty.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I hope his map includes those three little dots in Southern Germany as one province, the way one other popular map mod for EU3 did. That's the real test of whether the person cares more about historical accuracy or gameplay.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

vyelkin posted:

I hope his map includes those three little dots in Southern Germany as one province, the way one other popular map mod for EU3 did. That's the real test of whether the person cares more about historical accuracy or gameplay.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Honestly I can live with East Prussia's funky shape because that's what Prussia ended up looking like for some time IRL (suck it pretty borders), but there's no excuse for that stupid bullshit in Lorraine.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BBJoey posted:

Honestly I can live with East Prussia's funky shape because that's what Prussia ended up looking like for some time IRL (suck it pretty borders), but there's no excuse for that stupid bullshit in Lorraine.
Splitting the province in two would make a lot of sense in terms of gameplay though, while still retaining the overall shape of East Prussia.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

BBJoey posted:

Here's the problem: Historical province borders for a game that isn't gonna turn like history. The result is an eyesore that adds nothing to the game besides the ability for a few people with detailed knowledge of historical geography to say "yep, that sure is how it was".

Good-looking provinces that work well regardless of where the border between two countries ends up are far superior to 'historical' province shapes.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
Even if the game did turn out like history, bizarre non-contiguous provinces still wouldn't make sense. The fact that several disjoint areas were historically part of the same administrative unit did not give armies the ability to be simultaneously located in all of them at once.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Even if the game did turn out like history, bizarre non-contiguous provinces still wouldn't make sense. The fact that several disjoint areas were historically part of the same administrative unit did not give armies the ability to be simultaneously located in all of them at once.

But it's more realistic that way! I guess that is somewhat defensible if the province lies within another province entirely, and an army would not get any advantage from being in three places at the same time and yet also concentrated in one spot (I call them quantum armies).

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Early modern had a very high understanding of quantum mechanics, but the knowledge was lost during the 30 Years War.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Early modern had a very high understanding of quantum mechanics, but the knowledge was lost during the 30 Years War.

Huh, I would never have thought quantum mechanics counts as military tech.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Wiz posted:

Here's the problem: Historical province borders for a game that isn't gonna turn like history. The result is an eyesore that adds nothing to the game besides the ability for a few people with detailed knowledge of historical geography to say "yep, that sure is how it was".

Good-looking provinces that work well regardless of where the border between two countries ends up are far superior to 'historical' province shapes.

Counterpoint: if the goal is believable worlds your games need to support borders at least as lovely as those IRL. :colbert:

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Wiz posted:

So explain Olonets, Wiz. Explain Olonets. :colbert:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

YF-23 posted:

Counterpoint: if the goal is believable worlds your games need to support borders at least as lovely as those IRL. :colbert:

Look, I deal with lovely borders everyday of my life; when I unwind I just want to live in a fantasy world where maps make sense.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
And this is where the discussion turns into a lengthy debate on how to create dynamic borders.

Do it.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Westminster System posted:

And this is where the discussion turns into a lengthy debate on how to create dynamic borders.

Do it.

The technical challenges of that would be massive. Dynamic borders in a province-based system would absolutely murder the hundreds of pre-baked computation lookups the Clausewitz engine uses to not grind to a halt when calculating things like travel times, army paths, etc.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

nutranurse posted:

Look, I deal with lovely borders everyday of my life; when I unwind I just want to live in a fantasy world where maps make sense.

Please elaborate.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Drink Cheerwine posted:

Please elaborate.

Yes-- would you happen to be working on international relations between India and Bangladesh or something similar?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Maybe he is the city planner of Baarle-Nassau.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Random question, but after having played EU4's Extended Timeline mod (and showed it off for some friends) I've been wondering: is there anywhere the demo for World Stage still exists? I'd love to show off what a mess that was, but shockingly the official site is dead.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Space Bat posted:

Random question, but after having played EU4's Extended Timeline mod (and showed it off for some friends) I've been wondering: is there anywhere the demo for World Stage still exists? I'd love to show off what a mess that was, but shockingly the official site is dead.

I have it, and I'm sure others do. I don't want to put it up on Dropbox or something because I'm not looking to get PI's legal department upset at me.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Wiz posted:

Do you know what the reason was for Asian and African provinces to have the size of about 10 european provinces? Was it because paradox considered Europe to be more important and so spent more manpower fleshing out Europe's landschape; or because of performance reasons (# provinces bogging the game down)?

edit: MY EYES! THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING! :eyepop: :eyepop::eyepop:

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

double nine posted:

Do you know what the reason was for Asian and African provinces to have the size of about 10 european provinces? Was it because paradox considered Europe to be more important and so spent more manpower fleshing out Europe's landschape; or because of performance reasons (# provinces bogging the game down)?

It's very clearly both. I haven't heard word on African DLC, but the maps are quite changable and West Africa was fleshed out a little in CK2, so it wouldn't be ridiculous for later development on that front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

double nine posted:

Its because literally every member of Paradox is a racist, eurocentric rear end in a top hat who thinks that Europeans are naturally superior to all other peoples.

• Locked thread