Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Understeer
Sep 14, 2004

Now with more front end grip.
Could someone give me an E46 price check? There's a used car dealer near me with a 2004 330xi 6 speed with the premium package, maintenance history, and 70k miles for $15.9k. This place specializes in clean BMWs, so I know they're expecting a premium, but KBB, NADA, Edmunds, and eBay all say the price is as much as 4 grand high. Is this car worth that much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
gently caress no.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

My E90 is flashing the yellow overtemp warning for several seconds about once every other drive or so. It will come on, then go back off several seconds later. I know these have the electric coolant pump which is prone to making GBS threads itself, but I hate taking cars in with issues like this, because they will just want to replace random poo poo until the problem goes away. Is there a possibility it could be a temp sensor or something, and not the coolant pump?

Also, in cold weather, other sensors occasionally wig out, like the seatbelt indicator and trunk closed indicator.

Edit: and sometimes I've got to try the engine start button twice before it will turn over :sigh: I wonder what that could be...

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 16, 2014

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Damnit... Snapped the strut housing to sway bar link bolt on the drivers side during the coilover install. Those drat sway bar links are horrible and give me no end of troubles. Got the front done today and other than that it seems solid. Hopefully can get the rear done tomorrow morning so I can take the car home.

doogle
May 24, 2003

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

My E90 is flashing the yellow overtemp warning for several seconds about once every other drive or so. It will come on, then go back off several seconds later. I know these have the electric coolant pump which is prone to making GBS threads itself, but I hate taking cars in with issues like this, because they will just want to replace random poo poo until the problem goes away. Is there a possibility it could be a temp sensor or something, and not the coolant pump?

Also, in cold weather, other sensors occasionally wig out, like the seatbelt indicator and trunk closed indicator.

Edit: and sometimes I've got to try the engine start button twice before it will turn over :sigh: I wonder what that could be...

The water pump usually fails catastrophically, giving you a yellow overtemp warning followed by a red overtemp warning a few minutes later. Check to see if you thermostat is working (upper radiator hose test), that is another part that is known to fail.

If you have a access to a BT cable I would pull the codes and then reset the ECU, it sounds like that might actually be the problem. What year is your car?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I'm starting to look for a solid E46 touring & a wrecked E46 M3. This is a stupid idea.

:getin:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'm starting to look for a solid E46 touring & a wrecked E46 M3. This is a stupid idea.

The stupidest idea.

You have my full support.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

doogle posted:

The water pump usually fails catastrophically, giving you a yellow overtemp warning followed by a red overtemp warning a few minutes later. Check to see if you thermostat is working (upper radiator hose test), that is another part that is known to fail.

If you have a access to a BT cable I would pull the codes and then reset the ECU, it sounds like that might actually be the problem. What year is your car?
It's an 09 335. I'll look around for a cable or bluetooth module to get the codes.

Mattress Man
Apr 3, 2009

:dukedog:
Well after 2 months of waiting, my f31 is here. Can't wait for summer to get here so I can actually show the car some corners.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

It's not that bad of a swap if you've got a full donor.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BlackMK4 posted:

It's not that bad of a swap if you've got a full donor.

It's a bolt up, but there is still the matter of the electrical - he'll need to learn INPA or find someone who knows their poo poo. Not a big hurdle.

BlackMK4 is right though, you'll want a complete parts car. S54, harness, ECU, brakes, complete rear end (subframe, axles, spindles, suspension arms, brakes, etc), 6speed trans, driveshaft. You'll also want 330i front brakes...you can use the M3 fronts but you need to machine the carrier.

You could do just the S54 but that would be stupid in a 325.

Realistically, you're going to be in for more than the price of an actual M3. RWD tourings tend to demand a small premium (even autos) and complete wrecked M3s are hard to find and get parted very quickly. Once you have everything apart there will a bunch of stuff to do "while you're in there".

That said, do it. The reward will be worth the cost and if you do it properly you can actually sell it for a decent price down the road.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I'm this close to buying a leftover stripper 2013 128i convertible (literally no options); I understand the engine is pretty solid but are there any major reliability issues or foibles that I should be aware of? I've never owned a BMW but I can't imagine they're that finicky

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Admirable Gusto posted:

I'm this close to buying a leftover stripper 2013 128i convertible (literally no options); I understand the engine is pretty solid but are there any major reliability issues or foibles that I should be aware of? I've never owned a BMW but I can't imagine they're that finicky

The new ones are not exactly throw gas and oil and it will run forever, but, keep on top of repairs and they will last quite a long time.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Admirable Gusto posted:

I'm not sure what you are driving right now/have driven before, but the big caveat for me going Nissan -> BMW was parts cost. I can do brakes on either car myself, but with the BMW having larger brakes parts were more expensive. Same with stuff like oil changes (more oil, full synthetic), tires (larger and lower profile) and more expensive suspension components. Just budget a little more for maintenance items and you should be fine.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Crustashio posted:

It's a bolt up, but there is still the matter of the electrical - he'll need to learn INPA or find someone who knows their poo poo. Not a big hurdle.

BlackMK4 is right though, you'll want a complete parts car. S54, harness, ECU, brakes, complete rear end (subframe, axles, spindles, suspension arms, brakes, etc), 6speed trans, driveshaft. You'll also want 330i front brakes...you can use the M3 fronts but you need to machine the carrier.

You could do just the S54 but that would be stupid in a 325.

Realistically, you're going to be in for more than the price of an actual M3. RWD tourings tend to demand a small premium (even autos) and complete wrecked M3s are hard to find and get parted very quickly. Once you have everything apart there will a bunch of stuff to do "while you're in there".

That said, do it. The reward will be worth the cost and if you do it properly you can actually sell it for a decent price down the road.

If I planned on doing front and rear subframes would I need to stick with a RWD touring, or would I be able to use an AWD? I'll grab the wagon first, then hunt for the donor. I absolutely plan on grabbing a complete wrecked car - fortunately there seem to be plenty of those here in the Bay Area.

An "actual" M3, while awesome, is just not useable for me. I need four doors for my dogs and a rear hatch for my music gear. I also live in a city with very limited parking, so I can't have a bunch of cars to satisfy different niche needs - I get one car and one motorcycle.

I want something that is awesome but not "precious," as it'll need to survive parallel parking and the other perils of city life without giving me an aneurism. My other thoughts were an S4 Avant, which is so rare and so expensive still that by the time I got the one I wanted it would have taken just as long and cost just as much to build as the M3 touring, and I'd be sad every time I had to street park it. The only other real option would be an STI hatch, and those are all still more expensive than either with questionable reliability.

So, since BMW makes a 3-series wagon that I love the look and utility of, and an M3 with every single performance-related box checked I could want...

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I love my E46 touring. The only thing I would change is I kinda wish it was a manual and the previous owner lowered it a bit for some reason, but the wagon can't help that it was born an automatic and was kneecapped, so I love it anyway.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

So, since BMW makes a 3-series wagon that I love the look and utility of, and an M3 with every single performance-related box checked I could want...

Where are you located? I know of a nice looking 2002 325 manual wagon with a bad motor nearby. I've been toying with the idea of picking it up myself, but like you I should contain myself to one car and one motorcycle - and I don't have an extra garage for it.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

TacoHavoc posted:

I'm not sure what you are driving right now/have driven before, but the big caveat for me going Nissan -> BMW was parts cost. I can do brakes on either car myself, but with the BMW having larger brakes parts were more expensive. Same with stuff like oil changes (more oil, full synthetic), tires (larger and lower profile) and more expensive suspension components. Just budget a little more for maintenance items and you should be fine.

This is pretty much it.

The N52 engine in the 128i really only has the "god drat cooling system" somewhere between 80k and 120k miles, and if you do the work yourself, I believe it's about $450 or something in parts.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

If I planned on doing front and rear subframes would I need to stick with a RWD touring, or would I be able to use an AWD? I'll grab the wagon first, then hunt for the donor. I absolutely plan on grabbing a complete wrecked car - fortunately there seem to be plenty of those here in the Bay Area.

An "actual" M3, while awesome, is just not useable for me. I need four doors for my dogs and a rear hatch for my music gear. I also live in a city with very limited parking, so I can't have a bunch of cars to satisfy different niche needs - I get one car and one motorcycle.

I want something that is awesome but not "precious," as it'll need to survive parallel parking and the other perils of city life without giving me an aneurism. My other thoughts were an S4 Avant, which is so rare and so expensive still that by the time I got the one I wanted it would have taken just as long and cost just as much to build as the M3 touring, and I'd be sad every time I had to street park it. The only other real option would be an STI hatch, and those are all still more expensive than either with questionable reliability.

AWD E46 cars have different front subframes and engine mounts - they don't have the same transmission/front subframe mounting pickup points as the RWD cars so it will be a giant pain in the rear end compared to a RWD car. I've been (partially) down that road before.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Perfect, good to narrow it down. If I could find a wagon that already has a blown motor that would be just fantastic, but I should be able to get a high-mileage wagon need some maintenance for fairly cheap regardless.

I'm in San Francisco.

It seems like the swap into sedans is a fairly easy and well documented thing, and the wiring doesn't look that bad. I know that the stock shocks & springs are spec'd different on the touring vs. the sedan but I think everything is compatible across all versions and the entire M3 rear subframe should bolt up to the touring.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here's some family photos from the trip home, the e30 being my winter ride. My dad's newly acquired e46 touring. He has been having an odd issue during low acceleration where it makes an almost buzzing or humming noise occasionally. Then the M3 during coilover installation.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Well I ended up buying it. Got a reasonably good deal (20% off MSRP) on a leftover 128i convertible with some niceties (tech package, leather, park sensors). It's not out and out sporty esp by today's standards, but I really like the engine and the car feels very buttoned up on the highway. And there's a lot less wind noise & buffeting than I was expecting.

I know BMW doesn't recommend an early oil change for non-M cars but is it worth doing one anyway at ~1,500 miles? Is this the sort of thing that only matters if you want to keep the car for 100,000+ miles?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of great swaps, one of you should buy this: http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4375640562.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Das Volk posted:

Speaking of great swaps, one of you should buy this: http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4375640562.html

Why do all of that work and not show a shot of the motor in the ad? I'd be skeptical. Color was changed, so maybe the engine compartment is functional, but looks terrible?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Does that mean he changed the type of steering rack as well?

3.0s had racks. Everything bigger... didn't.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The best stupid idea. I almost picked up a wrecked E36 M3 a couple months ago to do a similar swap. I still may once I get other projects taken care of.

Other projects like this that showed up this morning around 6:30am all the way from Wisconsin, 1986 524TD. Thermostat recently replaced as well as some bad wiring which was causing issues. Still needs a bit of work then lots of test driving before it's 'reliable'. Once it's deemed reliable my brother will be driving it so he can park his E30 so he can catch up on all the maintenance he's been putting off.

Sorry for the lovely cell phone picture but 6:30am and raining.
see garage for other project 1980 Porsche 928

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 17, 2014

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Ziploc posted:

Does that mean he changed the type of steering rack as well?

3.0s had racks. Everything bigger... didn't.

Are you sure about this for the E34? The 530i is a V8 just like the 540, it's just lower displacement, afaik the blocks are the same so they would use the same reticulating ball setup the 540i would.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
E34s only came with recirculating ball set up.

E39 6 bangers were the first deck and pinion on 5 series.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Oopsie. Yes. You are all correct. I don't know why I instantly thought that was an E39.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know how to fix sagging of the bumper on the drivers side? There is a smallish gap on that side ~1" I thought I found a guide for fixing sag on the rear bumper but I'm not sure if it's the save for the front.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Do you want to read a ridiculously detailed document about E36 ODBC and cluster functions? No?

Too bad!

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/BMW_docs/part1driverino.pdf

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

stump posted:

Started doing my shocks today, got the pass. side apart and discovered the strut top bearing is shot. Put it back together with the new shock but left the other 4 till I have new strut tops. Bugger, at least I'm going to be very familiar with my front suspension by the end of this!

Edit: Quick question: does the bump stop just sit on the shock without any other attachment?

Yes, the bumpstop doesn't need anything to hold it on the shock shaft.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Ziploc posted:

Do you want to read a ridiculously detailed document about E36 ODBC and cluster functions? No?

Too bad!

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/BMW_docs/part1driverino.pdf

That's the most comprehensive reference I've seen so far, nice find.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I went Googling to see what it actually could warn you about. Slightly disappointing it doesn't warn oil level.

Though, I learned what the CODE button does. :v:

People say, like other security systems on the E36, it is easily defeated though.

But I get to pretend that I'm Jason Statham in the Transporter. So that's cool.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah my understanding is that you can reach under and pull the OBC out of the dash and then disconnect it to disable CODE. Of course, it's not likely a car thief would know that.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Popete posted:

Here's some family photos from the trip home, the e30 being my winter ride. My dad's newly acquired e46 touring. He has been having an odd issue during low acceleration where it makes an almost buzzing or humming noise occasionally. Then the M3 during coilover installation.

Sup, nearly identical BMW family buddy? :tipshat:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's a great trio to have around :3:

That touring is beautiful, I'm trying to convince the old man to do something similar with his.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
When I briefly had my german e34, I was messing with the OBC and didn't realize I typed in a code that disabled it. Wish I had realized that you could unplug the OBC, I sat there for 15 minutes waiting for the reset sequence. The fun part is the alarm sounds the entire loving time and it isn't on any relay I could find. Got some weird looks that day.

meatpimp posted:

Why do all of that work and not show a shot of the motor in the ad? I'd be skeptical. Color was changed, so maybe the engine compartment is functional, but looks terrible?

But it's the very last picture?

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 17, 2014

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

My touring is that deep red color, which is nice, but I can't shake the desire to wrap it in some kind of matte color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM :argh:

I got the new wheel and tire on, and took it out to make sure the suspension was still solid, but now I think my coolant temp sensor is fuckered. Cruising a long on a dead flat road, the gauge went from dead noon where it almost always sits into the red(but not up to the line), and i got a coolant temp warning, and by the time i reacted by getting off the throttle, it dropped back to noon. It did it again on the way back as well.