Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Splicer posted:

Pretty sure she'll be wearing a thin layer of Mort.
Oh ok and then she pulls him off and that's where the bed sheet look comes from. I get it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones

Kikas posted:

Can't wait till she tests out if she can withstand the Coyote Tooth blade.

Holy poo poo, imagine the implications of Coyote's Tooth could actually damage Jones.

That'd be neat-o. And would emphasize that this isn't your average kitchen knife.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Nettle Soup posted:

It's the sound of planes, I think.

This is what it sounded like to die in the forties

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Splicer posted:

I was thinking this myself, but I'm fairly sure indestructible non-matter can't be rendered radioactive. She'd just need a good shower and a lung-scrub.

I'm fairly certain that turning any part of Jones into a radioactive isotope wound count as "marking or damaging".

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Technogeek posted:

I'm fairly certain that turning any part of Jones into a radioactive isotope wound count as "marking or damaging".

I'm sure she can get coated in radioactive fallout. She also obviously breathes since that's how she talks, and she'll have fallout in her lungs too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Technogeek posted:

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm sure she can get coated in radioactive fallout. She also obviously breathes since that's how she talks, and she'll have fallout in her lungs too.
I think this a case of everyone agreeing with each other, but yeah both of these are what I'm thinking.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Nitrousoxide posted:

So ask her to take a shower and try not to cough on you. Problem solved.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Tom just tweeted that he will be putting Annie In The Forest Part 2 up on the site on Monday. Also:

Gunnerkrigg Twitter posted:

I'd like to do Paz's story next, yeah. I've been slow getting to it due to moving.

Just thought you'd all like to know! Personally I'd love to see more small side stories like Annie in the Forest. :3:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm really looking forward to reading about Paz cause for some reason she still sort of feels like an outside character yknow.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Man that last line hit pretty hard. I wonder if the slight sympathetic (?) look on Jones is intentional, or just reading into things.

Parts Kit posted:

Oh ok and then she pulls him off and that's where the bed sheet look comes from. I get it now.

Oh god, that just makes me think of the bed sheet appearance being a comical cover to hide what he actually looks like after being caught up in a bombing :stonk:

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

BattleCake posted:

Tom just tweeted that he will be putting Annie In The Forest Part 2 up on the site on Monday. Also:

Wow, that seems pretty fast. How long was it between when part 1 was first available in print and online? Can't complain about more content though!

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

Thanks Internet posted:

Wow, that seems pretty fast. How long was it between when part 1 was first available in print and online? Can't complain about more content though!

Yeah, I was originally thinking of buying the comics since I enjoy having a paper copy and I wouldn't mind supporting Tom, but I can't really justify the shipping costs to Canada, especially if only one of them is in stock and I can't at least order them both at the same time to ship together. :sigh:

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Splicer posted:

I think this a case of everyone agreeing with each other, but yeah both of these are what I'm thinking.

Yeah, I was trying to agree with Slicer in that quote. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Battle Pigeon posted:

Man that last line hit pretty hard. I wonder if the slight sympathetic (?) look on Jones is intentional, or just reading into things.

Trying to ascribe emotions to Jones is like our human propensity to see faces in inanimate objects. We want her to be sympathetic for Mort's plight so we project it onto her face.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Breathing seems to just be for the purpose of talking or fitting in better with humans for Jones. She hung out in lava and under the sea for thousands of years. She could probably just wash her lungs out at the same time as the rest of her.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

BattleCake posted:

Tom just tweeted that he will be putting Annie In The Forest Part 2 up on the site on Monday.

He didn't wait until Monday: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/extracomics/

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Always drink responsibly, kids!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Love the "BOYS I KNOW" slide. "Well... Err... Hmm... Jack?"

Achewater has to be an Achewood reference.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I was not aware that part of the site existed. Thanks!

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Well if it isn't Annie the Hangover Ham

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Man, Kamlen's mum can give one helluva slap.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Ah, so that's the infamous BOYS I KNOW page people were alluding do.

It is great.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Hey! After reading Part 2, going back to Chapter 34 after that sheds new light on Annie and Jack's interactions.

Click the link... do it... re-read everything!

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
The way she instantly thought of Kat was so sweet :)

Also I really like elf fashion. They seem like cool dudes to hang out with. Much more pleasant than certain other jabronis, anyway.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Fecha posted:

Also I really like elf fashion. They seem like cool dudes to hang out with. Much more pleasant than certain other jabronis, anyway.

Well, the whole getting you absolutely wasted part might put some people off. Not me though!

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Shieldhill posted:

Hey! After reading Part 2, going back to Chapter 34 after that sheds new light on Annie and Jack's interactions.

Click the link... do it... re-read everything!

Chibisoma was right the whole time! :gonk:

Between the current chapter in the main comic and Mort popping up under "Boys I Know," I'm sadly remembering this whole fiasco. I hope this chapter calls back to his little crush on her one last time.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fecha posted:

I find it funny and interesting that Annie associates love more with philia than with eros.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tollymain posted:

I find it funny and interesting that Annie associates love more with philia than with eros.

Her father's influence, perhaps.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tenebrais posted:

Her father's influence, perhaps.

Nod

edit: Reading part 2 of Annie in the Forest now. Just got to the "boys I know" panel and cannot stop laughing

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 17, 2014

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Morty! Stop wake up and stop dreaming about bombs! Your helmet's falling off!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Welp, there's your clear answer about the bomb type.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Then Mort's remains land on someone's laundry line. "MY SHEETS!" :ms:

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
This page seems largely unnecessary.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's a high-brow attempt to tell you this machine killed this little boy without actually drawing fire and smoke.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Chronojam posted:

It's a high-brow attempt to tell you this machine killed this little boy without actually drawing fire and smoke.

It also illustrates the incomprehensible cruelty of war by contrasting the fate of Mort with the blueprints of the bomb. Reality breaks down, as if the bomb is trying to explain its own origin and nature to justify what it has done.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
The flash of a burning cigarette and then there was nothing :(

Tom you magnificent bastard. Even when taking the diplomatic path to the graphic interpretation of killing off someone we already knew was dead, you knew your limitations and ask for expert advice. Someone in GiP or TFR might know. That said, kudos to you.

edit: oh, and I see that page as a way of showing the way Mortimer died without any gore. Plates and fins and fuses and ports were carefully designed and then Mort died.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 17, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
It also specifically shows the way that Mort's death was mediated by technology! Because the relationship between technology, life, and death is kind of a thing in Gunnerkrigg Court.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Huh, I didn't know it's a "fuze". Figured it was the same spelling as a regular fuse v:v:v

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Why do I have a terrible feeling his body looks intact because we're looking at his ghost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol
The out of place militaria is really jarring and almost insultingly meaningless, and therefore I think makes this update quite meaningful and powerful.

Pretty good cartooning!