Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Acrylic resin, and getting it to set up without air bubbles while not melting the model you're entombing is some kind of witchcraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Holy poo poo, that's cool.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Tamiya "British Infantry Tank MkII Matilda"

This is a 70s kit, but unlike the T-34, it's not a "70s masterpiece". Not hard to figure out why. There is no internal detail at all this time around, the suspension springs are just textureless tubes, and it comes with barely any accessories. But hey, Matilda!

Most important part: the log. It didn't come with the kit, but the T-34 I did earlier came with two.

The rear. I had some fun with the rust on the exhaust system, I think it turned out well.

The kit bears no mention of Lend-Lease service. The combat history blurb cuts out in 1941, and there are no Red Army decals. I had to take matters into my own hands!

It's slightly off. I probably should have mounted the pry bar after putting on the phrase and not before. Oh well, live and learn. The identification decals are from the T-34 kit too.

While the suspension springs are really primitive, the road wheels are in order. All 11 of them. Per side.

The tracks are, of course, rubber. The driver's hatch slides open, but why? There are no internals, nor is there a driver's figure included. The cupola rotates. Or at least it did before I primed it. The kit also comes with an early gun mantlet, but I put together the later one.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I made a van!

$2.99, bargain.

The mould is older now than the car was when they made it.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

That label is loving vile. I love it.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Nice. Did it come with the sign or did you make it?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I am just curious on what you plan to use it for. Apart from delivering tiny vials of whale semen that is.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

Nice. Did it come with the sign or did you make it?

Printable decal paper is awesome (although it's still got a few wrinkles in).

No Pun Intended posted:

I am just curious on what you plan to use it for. Apart from delivering tiny vials of whale semen that is.

I'm using it to fill up my 32nd/35th shelf which currently looks like this

but will soon be be fuller.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Oh yeah, I remember that graffittied APC from earlier in this thread. I should look into this decal paper.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Ensign Expendable posted:

Oh yeah, I remember that graffittied APC from earlier in this thread. I should look into this decal paper.

The problem with this is printer ink generally wants to put black or color over a light background. There's no white inkjet ink (apparently its technically difficult) and printers that can print white are generally really expensive large format sign printers. So it kind of depends on the model's color scheme.

(I looked into this a few years ago for making cheap front panels for electronics and a quick web search suggests things haven't changed that much.)

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
They make white decal paper, just have to be more careful when you cut it out.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

MasterSlowPoke posted:

They make white decal paper, just have to be more careful when you cut it out.

This
stuff has a white background and also claims not to need any waterproofing for inkjets, which is nice. Haven't tried it though.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Some samples and guidelines for American camouflage.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.

Unkempt posted:

Printable decal paper is awesome (although it's still got a few wrinkles in).

I'm using it to fill up my 32nd/35th shelf which currently looks like this

Wow, is that the seaplane from Tintin's The Shooting Star?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

Morgenthau posted:

Wow, is that the seaplane from Tintin's The Shooting Star?

Yep, it's the Revell Arado 196 with more custom decals. A good kit.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Finally had some time this week to finish off the KV-2! Oh how I love that derpy looking thing :allears:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Baby's first decal job.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Someone decided to have fun with leftover plastic.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's clearly a Maus.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ha! 'Maus', love it.

I recently finished some stuff as well:

The green Beetle was the most fun to do, and the tank would look much better in a scene with some figures over it. If I get more tanks I'll look at getting modern figures to sit on or stand next to them. I have an A-10 as well but really not happy with how the camo turned out, I'm tempted to strip it and start over.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Nice work! Is that the Revell Germany Beatle kit?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks :) these were my first scale models in ages! That's the 1951/52 1/16th Revell kit, yeah.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Is that Leopard 2 1/72?

And I'm guessing the dirt on the beetle is the good ol' hairspray technique?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah that's a 2 A4, another Revell kit. I'm a child of the 80's and a former Army brat so all of the late Cold War stuff really floats my boat. Sadly for my bank account I'm also into Formula 1, MotoGP bikes, LeMans racers and sports cars.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Baby's first decal job.

Oh god I just saw this on nscale.net
Worlds loving colliding.

Might as well post my latest n scale poo poo.

Made a teeny tiny staircase

to go inside a tiny building

Also bonus tiny cars.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

krushgroove posted:

The green Beetle was the most fun to do, and the tank would look much better in a scene with some figures over it.

Looks really good! What do you use for chrome - Alclad?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Baronjutter posted:

Worlds loving colliding.

Might as well post my latest n scale poo poo.

Made a teeny tiny staircase

to go inside a tiny building

Also bonus tiny cars.

If you are not an actual urban planner or an architect, you should consider becoming one. Skillz could pay the bills(z)?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Wow, krushgroove, I absolutely love the patina on that first Beetle! especially way that you did the faded paintwork and the rusty hubcaps. Between that, the N scale stuff and the huge scale model directory posted a few pages back I really want to get back into scale modelling. As if I didn't already spend enough of my spare time on solitary activities...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nebakenezzer posted:

If you are not an actual urban planner or an architect, you should consider becoming one. Skillz could pay the bills(z)?

Architecture is the worst way to pay the billz and architectural modeling is super hard and pays poo poo too. Yeah that $10,000 model the developer is using to sell his new condo tower sounds expensive but when you add up the hours and materials that went into making it you're lucky to be making minimum wage. Also urban planning is super hard to get into, it's like wanting to be a successful game dev because you have so many good ideas :(

But, I have a tiny model city and that's good enough for me.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

tunah posted:

Looks really good! What do you use for chrome - Alclad?

Thanks! I can't take credit for the chrome, that's just the kit pieces straight off the sprue and spattered with a dark brown from an airbrush. I just used a really low pressure to get the spatter and did it on all the chrome pieces. It's hard to tell from the pictures but one of the chrome trims is loose as well.

Jaguars! posted:

Wow, krushgroove, I absolutely love the patina on that first Beetle! especially way that you did the faded paintwork and the rusty hubcaps. Between that, the N scale stuff and the huge scale model directory posted a few pages back I really want to get back into scale modelling. As if I didn't already spend enough of my spare time on solitary activities...

Thanks, I explained how I did the rust effect above, very easy.

The rust & fading was basically this: prime, paint brown or any rusty color and let dry for an hour or so. Then spritz with water and sprinkle with salt of various types (kosher, ground, table, etc.), let dry, then hairspray, blue, wait 30 minutes, hairspray, green. Wait another half an hour and use a wet brush to soften and gently scrape away the paint until you get the effect you want. Where the salt was I used the brush to completely remove it to get down to the rust color. I used a toothpick as well to get scratches where a roof rack may have gone. Then follow up with a dusting of light brown like you would on a tank model. Really simple and something I'll be doing with lots of my wargaming models.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

This is some of the best and most realistic weathering I've ever seen. Fantastic job!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Baronjutter posted:

Worlds loving colliding.

I post both places, usually one for pointers the other is... easy copy paste action.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

SkunkDuster posted:

This is some of the best and most realistic weathering I've ever seen. Fantastic job!

Wow, thanks - I'm really humbled by that, after seeing some of the efforts in here...

The funny thing is, I'm not into WW2 tanks, really, and cold war tanks don't mix with a heavily weathered look, so I might have to look at stuff like Mak or imaginary conflicts (is anyone familiar with the old role-playing game Twilight 2000?) to get my kicks :P

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

krushgroove posted:

(is anyone familiar with the old role-playing game Twilight 2000?)
Please tell me you're making a T2000 diorama :swoon:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ha! Actually I think it'd be pretty cool, but I have a ways to go before I get comfortable enough to try a diorama at 1/72 scale. It's good for me that my wargaming interests allow modeling skills from tabletop to scale models to intersect in many places. And apart from the size of the grasses and buildings there's not much more I'd need to buy for supplies. Maybe I'll try a general photoshoot setting that can fit a couple of (removable) tanks? I dunno.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Remember reading about someone wanting to make a World in Conflict diorama involving an Abrams, a Sheridan and a Bradley. Now that would've been kinda sweet since that's one of my favourite RTS games.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

krushgroove posted:

Wow, thanks - I'm really humbled by that, after seeing some of the efforts in here...

The funny thing is, I'm not into WW2 tanks, really, and cold war tanks don't mix with a heavily weathered look, so I might have to look at stuff like Mak or imaginary conflicts (is anyone familiar with the old role-playing game Twilight 2000?) to get my kicks :P

Get a T-34-85, paint DPRK insignia on it, and dump it in a ditch. Put a Patton next to it or something.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Always remember that for any given item of Cold War material there's some buttfuck edge of nowhere tinpot dictator who has exactly one that he rides around in as the "Presidential Limo" to show how badass he is, but can't afford to keep it painted.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

Always remember that for any given item of Cold War material there's some buttfuck edge of nowhere tinpot dictator who has exactly one that he rides around in as the "Presidential Limo" to show how badass he is, but can't afford to keep it painted.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
See? There's only so many parking tickets you can collect in that thing before keeping it fueled is uneconomical and you just have to give up.