Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Is the hate for edh because a lot of people like to drag games on to show off combos and cards, as opposed to going for kills? I've seen some horror stories in this thread and elsewhere. That would drive me crazy if someone was doing that or if that was how the local crowd played if so. When I borrowed a deck to try it this week I went straight for the kills, we all laughed it off and played again until another guy killed everyone and it was fun.

Magic is not designed to be a multiplayer game. It is awful and it shouldn't take 10 minutes in between turns. This is why I urge people to play board games instead where 4-6 players is the designated audience but people insist on playing magic because ????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Is the hate for edh because a lot of people like to drag games on to show off combos and cards, as opposed to going for kills? I've seen some horror stories in this thread and elsewhere. That would drive me crazy if someone was doing that or if that was how the local crowd played if so. When I borrowed a deck to try it this week I went straight for the kills, we all laughed it off and played again until another guy killed everyone and it was fun.

The hate for EDH is because there's a bunch of different ways to play it and people play with people who play it for different reasons and to accomplish different things and they hate that. Play EDH with your friends. Don't play with randos or people you don't like. If everyone's playing with the same intent, there's no "ugh this guy was a dick/this guy was a durdling rear end in a top hat who just wanted to set up a combo/ugh grouphbug" poo poo. Problem solved.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Fox of Stone posted:

Magic is not designed to be a multiplayer game. It is awful and it shouldn't take 10 minutes in between turns. This is why I urge people to play board games instead where 4-6 players is the designated audience but people insist on playing magic because ????

I get that side of the argument too. I enjoy 1v1 more than anything, and played fighting games competitively for years. I do also see the draw in "deck of singletons" part of EDH because it lets you use cards that would never be used otherwise. What I dont get personally is the idea that drawing games way out just to show off is fun. I don't see the difference in that and just showing your buddy cards when you arent playing and saying "wouldn't this be neat". I'm pretty hesitant to get into edh because I like competition. I don't have any qualms about making people upset by winning or whatever either so I might do it anyways.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fox of Stone posted:

Because they'd rather play a multiplayer game where the buy-in is often multiple hundreds/thousands of dollars :shrug:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Fox of Stone posted:

Because I can't pack a board game into a small box that I can fit three of in my bag with the rest of my work stuff.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

Because I can't pack a board game into a small box that I can fit three of in my bag with the rest of my work stuff.

That's just wrong though, there are a ton of games that take up less room than a single sleeved edh deck, let alone 3 of them.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
suicidesteve, I came across really harshly and I'm sorry for that. You do whatever you want and if I don't like it, I'll just ignore it in the future. :)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Mortimer posted:

That's just wrong though, there are a ton of games that take up less room than a single sleeved edh deck, let alone 3 of them.

And they don't offer the "This is MY deck" like a single-sleeved EDH deck does.
Don't get me wrong, I love board games, but people sometimes want to play with Magic cards. And EDH offers a good set of restrictions to provide for fun deckbuilding and creativity.

Also, the kind of person who generally likes Magic a lot is more into 'deeper' board games (in my experience) which aren't as compact as something like Mow for example.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Carcassone and boss monster have tiny boxes, which is why I used them as examples.

Mortimer posted:

Because they'd rather play a multiplayer game where the buy-in is often multiple hundreds/thousands of dollars :shrug:

One day I will play Carcassone with gold tiles with platinum etchings. I will use diamond figures for meeples.

E: Nevermind that. I will play twilight imperium with orphan tears, the most precious element of all.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 16, 2014

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
EDH sucks because Magic: The Gathering: A Wizard Poker Experience is a game designed to have a winner and a loser and the minute you start playing with your primary goal as something other than being on the correct side of that divide, you start making GBS threads things up for everyone because you've decided to play a different game without regard for everyone else's time.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Burn took down SCG Seattle, crushing Black decks to win. Bring your maindeck Heroes' Reunion deck to FNM next week!

I think I would like a competitive 1v1 100-card singleton format to see what people create but that's not what EDH is.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

Is your list online? Mine's at http://deck.tk/1QM770SU

The infect dudes really do work, I've surprise-killed many people with them. Some troubles with the deck itself I've had is that I need to run all these utility creatures, which are tiny and I can't really win with. Drawing a Vexing Shusher when there's no one countering spells, or a Scavenging Ooze when no one's reanimating anything, etc. really sucks.

Nah, I don't have a list online, but I will say my group is a lot lower power than your group. In particular, no one really runs with infect, nor do I. As far as my deck is concerned, I have very few non-ramp utility creatures. Everything is either big, a land, find lands, or draw more cards, with a few exceptions like one blasphemous act. It is purely aggro as a deck.

The few creatures that are utility tend to also fall into the big category, such as Conquering Manticore, Crater Hellion, Molten Primordial, Wrecking Ogre, Archetype of Endurance, etc. The point is not to waste time being concerned about what enchantment is being played or whatever. If it's in the way, I can steal it for a turn and kill faster. Everything else is just one big fatty drop after another, since the goal is to hit five mana and then take off.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Korak posted:

Burn took down SCG Seattle, crushing Black decks to win. Bring your maindeck Heroes' Reunion deck to FNM next week!

I've been playing the RW Burn variant for about a week now. It's more like RW Splash Black for Toil and Trouble.

I should slot in some Reckoners and move the Firedancers to the side.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Both of the r/w burn decks on display were a bit different too, with one running only 9 creatures (one being a single stormbreath) and the other running zealots/phoenixes along with boros reckoners and chandra, pyromasters. Pretty neat to see. Ive been having success with the zealots/phoenixes and running 3 satyr firedancers main/1 side but now I'm wondering if these other options are more effecient. I was also doing 4 chains on the side and both the guys at Seattle had 4 in the main, they seemed more tempo/midrange than the fast burns we were initially seeing when BotG came out.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Fox of Stone posted:

Magic is not designed to be a multiplayer game.

Even if EDH didn't have the obnoxious and retarded "social contract" bullshit attached to it, it would still be miserable.

I don't understand why people are so excited to spend 15 minutes doing gently caress all just so that occasionally they get to play a couple of mediocre and bad cards that are only interesting in the context of some silly "theme"

Of all the games you could be playing with friends in a big group, Magic is one of the worst choices.

That's not even true, there are tons of excellent board games that are made in super portable packaging, certainly more portable than a 100 card deck box, tokens, and whatever bullshit other accouterments people lug around for Commander.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Limited GP day 2 coverage should be all draft commentary all the time.

And now we're going to get get two draft videos from the Top 8, focusing on the two players to be covered in the Quarterfinals? :allears:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BW Midrange Crushed, BW Burn Takes 1st, and Anarchy Reigns.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Pinwiz11 posted:

Limited GP day 2 coverage should be all draft commentary all the time.

And now we're going to get get two draft videos from the Top 8, focusing on the two players to be covered in the Quarterfinals? :allears:

Opened the stream to a green window slowly loading the Magic website, mouse visible, with Chrome asking if it wanted to translate the page. Never change Magic coverage (no actually please change it's embarrassing you have a lot of money).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Toshimo posted:

EDH sucks because Magic: The Gathering: A Wizard Poker Experience is a game designed to have a winner and a loser and the minute you start playing with your primary goal as something other than being on the correct side of that divide, you start making GBS threads things up for everyone because you've decided to play a different game without regard for everyone else's time.

What if everyone is playing with the same goal in mind mand is there for the same purpose?

Fox of Stone posted:

Carcassone and boss monster have tiny boxes, which is why I used them as examples.

You actually didn't name anything as examples until this post.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Weird. Using the iPhone to respond so it might've eaten that part of the reply while editing.

I can fit the first 3 expansions into the original Carcassone box. That's enough variety for ~15-20 EDH decks assuming max 5 players per game and each expansion changing the experience enough to be equal to a new EDH deck per player.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 16, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also Carcassone is hardly a tiny box, especially once you figure in the expansions, double especially compared to this:

Two decks, tokens, dice bag. And that's if I actually decide to be prepared and don't just throw one of the decks in my bag on my way out the door.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

What if everyone is playing with the same goal in mind mand is there for the same purpose?

:black101: EDH is loving awesome. Too bad it never happens. :negative:

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

GonSmithe posted:

Opened the stream to a green window slowly loading the Magic website, mouse visible, with Chrome asking if it wanted to translate the page. Never change Magic coverage (no actually please change it's embarrassing you have a lot of money).

That didn't bother me at all, but when the computer you're loading your interstitial videos on lags, I cringe.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

Other good group games with small packaging:
Coup, The Resistance, Glory to Rome, Love Letter, Hanabi, Colossal Arena

I have the opposite problem where I can never get anyone to stop playing board games to play Magic with me

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Nah, I don't have a list online, but I will say my group is a lot lower power than your group. In particular, no one really runs with infect, nor do I. As far as my deck is concerned, I have very few non-ramp utility creatures. Everything is either big, a land, find lands, or draw more cards, with a few exceptions like one blasphemous act. It is purely aggro as a deck.

The few creatures that are utility tend to also fall into the big category, such as Conquering Manticore, Crater Hellion, Molten Primordial, Wrecking Ogre, Archetype of Endurance, etc. The point is not to waste time being concerned about what enchantment is being played or whatever. If it's in the way, I can steal it for a turn and kill faster. Everything else is just one big fatty drop after another, since the goal is to hit five mana and then take off.

This is my low power deck compared to my others. All my others involve blue and a solid amount of control (not a shitload of counters), so I wanted a more aggro-y deck. Sometimes while playing it I'll feel kind of open, because there's no disruption really.

No one seems to mind the infect plan, because it's something they're not used to losing to. It gets a big laugh when it happens, actually, because no one expects sudden poisoning from a red/green deck.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Kenji doing the new subscriber dance on stream. :glomp::blush:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

So uh how about those basic wardrobe requirements that have been proposed since Crackling Perimeter Gate? I think only in Seattle could you see someone that looks like a train hopping club kid show up to play Legacy.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Chapin's stories are magical.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Cedrics deck looked cool so I looked up the cards since I was unfamiliar with it, checked the price Imperial Recuiter and what the gently caress man, why is that so high

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

AegisP posted:

Chapin's stories are magical.

I love this Finkel story.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Cedrics deck looked cool so I looked up the cards since I was unfamiliar with it, checked the price Imperial Recuiter and what the gently caress man, why is that so high

Its from Portal 3 Kingdoms one of the lowest printed sets outside of ABU

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
These are some pretty brutal Simian Spirit Guide blowouts, though I'm not entirely sure if the Delver player should have exiled that daze to force.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

AegisP posted:

These are some pretty brutal Simian Spirit Guide blowouts, though I'm not entirely sure if the Delver player should have exiled that daze to force.

Delver player is bad.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Korak posted:

So uh how about those basic wardrobe requirements that have been proposed since Crackling Perimeter Gate? I think only in Seattle could you see someone that looks like a train hopping club kid show up to play Legacy.

Way to call a guy on looking unique. Go back to your hole.

Played Henry yesterday. Smart, polite, plays quick and was a great guy.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
MTGO crashed and down, yet again. What an embarrassing product.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Gyshall posted:

MTGO crashed and down, yet again. What an embarrassing product.

Oh so that's why Gatherer is also down.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Whoa dude you can't move cards around in the graveyard in Legacy. I mean its rare someone actually uses something that needs to check for gy order but still.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

En Fuego posted:

Way to call a guy on looking unique. Go back to your hole.

I dunno, I think that wearing a shirt that doesn't cover your armpits is pretty weird.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

AegisP posted:

Oh so that's why Gatherer is also down.

Huh and it's giving the exact same server error page that I get when I try to play the PC version of MM:DoC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

What a Judas posted:

I love this Finkel story.

Can you paraphrase?

• Locked thread