Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

suddenlyissoon posted:

Gotham just hit beta. Who is going to be the hero we need to sacrifice their library to test it for us all?

http://xbmc.org/xbmc-13-0-gotham-beta1-rises/
I've been using nightly versions for the past month. Audio engine improvements are much appreciated. Minor skin issues appear with the implementation changing. Youtube plugin stopped being able to download videos. Beyond that no major issues, but I don't use the library function a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
So I've offloaded my HD to a Raspberry Pi and use that for downloading via the Usenet suite. My HTPC no longer needs to be on 24/7. The problem is, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS doesn't have a functioning standby mode without some hacking. Something I'm not too interested in doing.

Anyone using OpenElec able to tell me if it has standby? After the kids finish using the HTPC to watch their disney movies I want it to go into standby after an hour. OpenElec is a plus since I don't have to worry about the underlying OS causing grief by minimizing XBMC. I've tried XBMCuntu and that didn't even make it past the install screen so I had to just install Ubuntu 12.04 and make XBMC launch on startup.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Just S3 Sleep? Yeah it does. In the XBMC settings just set "shutdown" to "suspend" and then in the power savings menu I believe you can set auto-off.

Although it's oddly not present in the Gotham build of OpenElec I'm using but I definitely remember it being there in 3.2.4 stable.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

The Gunslinger posted:

Just S3 Sleep? Yeah it does. In the XBMC settings just set "shutdown" to "suspend" and then in the power savings menu I believe you can set auto-off.

Although it's oddly not present in the Gotham build of OpenElec I'm using but I definitely remember it being there in 3.2.4 stable.

XBMC shows the option in my current Ubuntu 12.04 setup but when I tell it to suspend it just essentially locks the program up with that circular hourglass type thing spinning. I'll avoid the Gotham build if that is the case.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

YouTuber posted:

XBMC shows the option in my current Ubuntu 12.04 setup but when I tell it to suspend it just essentially locks the program up with that circular hourglass type thing spinning. I'll avoid the Gotham build if that is the case.

Well in any case S3 Sleep is usually supported in OpenElec and I've used it in the past. I'll look into why it's not showing tonight, it could just be the generic build image I'm using. You can always just flash an extra USB stick and try it out.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

The Gunslinger posted:

Did you set your settings display level to advanced?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Keito posted:

Did you set your settings display level to advanced?

That would probably be it, I didn't even notice they added that thanks dude. I'll set it to Expert when I get home.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

XBMC posted:

Improved UPnP capabilities

gotham-upnp_play_usingInstances of XBMC throughout the house can now “speak” with each other and with other UPnP devices. Support now includes more advanced library browsing as well as “Play using…” functions, allowing XBMC to tell another device on the network to play a certain media file.

So you can browse the UPnP library on your tablet and send a video from that library straight to you main XBMC HTPC, similar to Apple’s Airplay and Google’s casting features.

Additionally when watching videos from the XBMC UPnP server, watch status will be updated so you don’t have to remember what shows you’ve already watched.

It looks like we might finally be able to use UPnP sharing instead of SQL library sharing with fewer caveats.

edit: Looks like the "client" XBMC box still does not treat it like a Library, but supposedly that is coming. Guess it has to wait to 14.0

Still, I am glad to see that it is still being worked on.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 4, 2014

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I'm really depressed no one seemed to call me on my pun.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
Actually I was about to :goonsay: about userdata backups and how the database gets copied and version bumped anyway, before I noticed what you'd done and took my hands off the keyboard.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

suddenlyissoon posted:

I don't think it would be against the rules to have a thread for Shared Libraries in Plex. I know there's one on reddit at r/shareplex. I'm really shocked at how easy and well done the library shares are.

I don't feel we need a whole new thread but feel free to PM me and I can add you.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

kri kri posted:

I don't feel we need a whole new thread but feel free to PM me and I can add you.

I don't either but since I think this forum is public viewable it'd be best to handle everything through PM's. That being said, anyone who wants to share their plex library just PM me.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVR1m6viAHE with a way to fix the Youtube addon login issues, seems to be working for people.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

amitlu posted:

Found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVR1m6viAHE with a way to fix the Youtube addon login issues, seems to be working for people.
Source: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=79487&pid=1613551#pid1613551

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Geeze, that's a doozie of a workaround. Still, I'll give it a try later on, thank you both.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
How does one get a Raspberry Pi with OpenELEC to recognize a thumb drive that's plugged into it? A message pops up that says it sees it but then I can't find it in my files view. Any ideas?

Draup
Jun 19, 2008
Do the UPnP changes eliminate the need to use a sql server for your library?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Draup posted:

Do the UPnP changes eliminate the need to use a sql server for your library?

I haven't tried it personally, but the new stuff will sync watched marks but clients don't treat dnla servers like a library. The ui is different.

But it is coming in a future version they say.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

wolfbiker posted:

How does one get a Raspberry Pi with OpenELEC to recognize a thumb drive that's plugged into it? A message pops up that says it sees it but then I can't find it in my files view. Any ideas?

Add source from the File Browser?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

YouTuber posted:

Add source from the File Browser?

Doesn't show up there. It's confusing.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

wolfbiker posted:

Is the thumb drive formatted? If it isn't format it to NTFS using a different computer. OpenElec is designed to automount removable drives like that. Also I logged in to my open Rpi OpenElec and found I can't use fdisk -l or anything to list poo poo so mounting it by hand and editing the fstab in the Command Line is probably out of the question.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

YouTuber posted:

I logged in to my open Rpi OpenElec and found I can't use fdisk -l or anything to list poo poo so mounting it by hand and editing the fstab in the Command Line is probably out of the question.

fdisk is a disk partitioning tool, you can't expect that to be included as part of a minimal special-purpose OS like OpenELEC.

If the thing actually gets mounted you can see its location with df -h. If it's not listed there, you will want to run dmesg to find out why.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

YouTuber posted:

Is the thumb drive formatted? If it isn't format it to NTFS using a different computer. OpenElec is designed to automount removable drives like that. Also I logged in to my open Rpi OpenElec and found I can't use fdisk -l or anything to list poo poo so mounting it by hand and editing the fstab in the Command Line is probably out of the question.

It was formatted NTFS and had videos on it. I fortmatted it as FAT32 and loaded the movies back on and same thing: when I plug it in, I get a system message showing that it recognizes it, but I can't find it!

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

wolfbiker posted:

It was formatted NTFS and had videos on it. I fortmatted it as FAT32 and loaded the movies back on and same thing: when I plug it in, I get a system message showing that it recognizes it, but I can't find it!

What may be happening is that it's not automatically mounting it, even though it sees that the drive's plugged in. You may need to add mounting it to the autostart script that runs at boot time, or manually mount it when you plug it in.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've just added a second screen to my iMac (OSX Mavericks) and wondering if anyone has any tips for getting XBMC to play a bit nicer.

The screen is hooked up to two machines, so it's not permanently displaying the iMac, so I'd like to leave XBMC on Screen 1 for the majority and use my '\' key as normal to full screen it to the primary display. However, when I have the 2nd screen running, I'd like to be able to press a different key (or the same one with a modifier perhaps) and have it fullscreen to Screen 2 instead (preferably without the 'Do You Want To Keep This Resolution?' message, as they run at different res'). Anyone got any hints for this?

At the moment I'm having to dive into the System Settings menu each time, which is pretty annoying.

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"
Is there a plugin/Youtube playlist that plays random Dog/Puppy videos for xbmc? Ideally one click plays endless videos like a screensaver. I had a quick look but couldn't see anything that really fit the bill.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

wolfbiker posted:

Doesn't show up there. It's confusing.

I had issues making OpenElec see things using my Raspberry Pi too so I switched over to RaspBMC and I've had zero problems since then. I know that OpenElec uses less overhead and all that, but RaspBMC works well and needed far less work on my end in my experience.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Mujaji posted:

Is there a plugin/Youtube playlist that plays random Dog/Puppy videos for xbmc? Ideally one click plays endless videos like a screensaver. I had a quick look but couldn't see anything that really fit the bill.
This is possibly the only idea more absurdly brilliant than what I am about to ask.

This is a bit of a half formed thought but is there either an add on, or just a way of approaching things, that lets me mark movies/TV shows watched in one way if I've watched them, another way if I've watched with my wife? It goes without saying there's going to be an element of manual intervention, but I like the idea of being able to do both.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

This is a bit of a half formed thought but is there either an add on, or just a way of approaching things, that lets me mark movies/TV shows watched in one way if I've watched them, another way if I've watched with my wife? It goes without saying there's going to be an element of manual intervention, but I like the idea of being able to do both.

Probably not unless you made two XBMC users and swapped between them, one for solo one for duo.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The beta version seems to break the 3D interface and detection of 3D movies. I reverted back to a late February nightly and it was fixed. I'll probably go to the latest nightly and retest.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
My XBMC has suddenly started locking up whenever I go to the Video Addons screen. It just comes up blank. I noticed this after my Android XMBC remote stopped beaming YouTube videos to my HTPC. Whenever I click "Play on XBMC" it takes me to the XBMC Remote app and just shows a blank screen instead of the usual "Play on XBMC?" confirmation.

I tried the above YouTube plugin fix to see if that had anything to do with it and it didn't fix the problem. I also uninstalled/reinstalled the remote app on my phone and also reinstalled the YouTube app in XBMC. Google is failing me. Any suggestions?

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

speedtek posted:

My XBMC has suddenly started locking up whenever I go to the Video Addons screen. It just comes up blank. I noticed this after my Android XMBC remote stopped beaming YouTube videos to my HTPC. Whenever I click "Play on XBMC" it takes me to the XBMC Remote app and just shows a blank screen instead of the usual "Play on XBMC?" confirmation.

I tried the above YouTube plugin fix to see if that had anything to do with it and it didn't fix the problem. I also uninstalled/reinstalled the remote app on my phone and also reinstalled the YouTube app in XBMC. Google is failing me. Any suggestions?

Try Yatse? (If your not already using that) Best Android remote by far that Ive used. I even bought the pro licence for it.

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?
Beta 2 is out: http://xbmc.org/xbmc-13-0-gotham-the-beta-2-we-deserve/

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just FYI naming convention was changed starting beta 1 for tagging 3D content. 3dhsbs and 3dhou don't work anymore. Its now "3D SBS" and "3D TAB" (top and bottom) and variants of the above.

Can anyone tell me how to make a main menu item for 3D movies ? I have all my 3D titles in a separate directory. I'm using beta 2 and aeon NOx as a skin. Not sure if a custom main menu item is how to do it or a smart list.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

jonathan posted:

Just FYI naming convention was changed starting beta 1 for tagging 3D content. 3dhsbs and 3dhou don't work anymore. Its now "3D SBS" and "3D TAB" (top and bottom) and variants of the above.

Can anyone tell me how to make a main menu item for 3D movies ? I have all my 3D titles in a separate directory. I'm using beta 2 and aeon NOx as a skin. Not sure if a custom main menu item is how to do it or a smart list.

I don't do 3d movies nor am I at my computer to try it, but I would assume you could add your movies in a separate folder and point a smart playlist to that folder. Be sure to add the 3d folder as a source and scan/clean.

edit: If Aeon Nox allows for xbmc functions as menu items, supposedly ActivateWindow(VideoFiles,Sourcename) will work too.

redhalo fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 18, 2014

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

jonathan posted:

Should be very easy if you have all the 3D titles in a separate directory. Make a new smart playlist for movies where the condition is "path contains /3DMOVIES/", then add that playlist to the main menu in one of Nox's custom entry slots.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

jonathan posted:

So how does that work, I'll have to rename my folders as Whatever.Movie.2014.3D SBS.BluRay.1080p.x264-WHATEVER or will Whatever.Movie.2014.3D.SBS.BluRay.1080p.x264-WHATEVER work too?

Do you process meta data manually or just have XBMC scrape it? I use EMM and just created a 3D genre tag for my 3D movie so I just browse by genres then choose 3D.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

wolfbiker posted:

So how does that work, I'll have to rename my folders as Whatever.Movie.2014.3D SBS.BluRay.1080p.x264-WHATEVER or will Whatever.Movie.2014.3D.SBS.BluRay.1080p.x264-WHATEVER work too?

Do you process meta data manually or just have XBMC scrape it? I use EMM and just created a 3D genre tag for my 3D movie so I just browse by genres then choose 3D.

Mine don't have metadata so I require xbmc to scrape it. In this case the folder name doesn't matter, the file name needs 3D and the type separated by dash, period, space etc. If you have the metadata for the mkv tagged as 3d, that will take priority. On my phone right now but the official xbmc wiki explains it in the 3D detection section.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I'm getting OpenElec working on a Raspberry Pi, just to handle music. It's going well, but is there a way I can stream audio to it when I'm watching a movie on my laptop? Windows 8 system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I can't figure out how to get this Logitech Harmony smart remote to work with Plex and a Mac Mini running mavericks.

Anyone have any experience setting this up? I've set up everything in Plex (Apple Remote - Multi (Harmony)) but it doesn't want to work at all.