Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Are you feeling ok Austrian mook? I'm concerned about your desire for bleak and hopeless TV. I think you should try watching something more light and happy, like Hannibal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Edit: Ugh, never mind, appears to be a hoax. Stupid Facebook.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 16, 2014

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Austrian mook posted:

Hey, I'm looking for something like Breaking Bad or Walking Dead, something with that dark, hopeless feel, any suggestions?

E:VV :thurman: drat son!

You ever watch Deadwood? Just 3 seasons, 36 episodes, but the final season was pretty bleak and soul crushing. Ripper Street, a british show on BBC American and the first season is on Netflix, is ok for dark and sinister stuff.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Austrian mook posted:

Hey, I'm looking for something like Breaking Bad or Walking Dead, something with that dark, hopeless feel, any suggestions?

Top of the Lake and The Returned are on Netflix. They're both pretty dark, and excellent.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Austrian mook posted:

True Detective, Person of Interest, The Bridge, The Americans, Game of Thrones

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

True Detective. Hannibal. If you're okay with comedy, Wilfred. Also have you ever watched the movie Begotten?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wouldn't say The Americans is "dark" or "hopeless" but it is on course to become as good as Breaking Bad so yes watch that.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

precision posted:

I wouldn't say The Americans is "dark" or "hopeless" but it is on course to become as good as Breaking Bad so yes watch that.

If you know literally anything about how the Cold War turned out I would say it's a pretty hopeless show yeah

Also it's pretty dark in the sense of it being about good people being screwed over by their entire chain of command from doing what they feel is right

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Occupation posted:

True Detective, Person of Interest, The Bridge, The Americans, Game of Thrones

I think your av is Elias from Person of Interest, but is it ok if I pretend it's Elliot from Just Shoot Me who is now (and probably was during the show) a serial killer?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Americans has so many wigs though. Really fun wigs.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The Americans has so many wigs though. Really fun wigs.

More or less than Alias?

This is important.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Occupation posted:

If you know literally anything about how the Cold War turned out I would say it's a pretty hopeless show yeah

It's a character drama, just because the ending of the War is known doesn't mean we have any idea how the show will end for the characters. FX said they're committed to "several years" of the show, so we could end up going some pretty wild places and people could switch sides.

Also, I am holding out hope they surprise everyone and go Alternate History with it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Didn't they just recently find some spies that have been living here for decades? You'd think at this point it would just be easier to do computer hacking from Russia.

Wigs wigs wigs wigs wigs

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Didn't they just recently find some spies that have been living here for decades?

Yep, and when they got sent back to Russia, Putin gave them medals and a nice retirement package.

At least, that's what they say he did to them. :tinfoil:

Also, I just noticed that one wig looks like Phillip is doing a Rust Chole impersonation.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The Americans was pretty underwhelming last season*. Have things improved this season, or is it more of the same?

*contemporary shows and movies actually handled the Cold War better and with less wankiness than The Americans.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
As good as it was last year, yes, so far it seems like this season is a jump up in quality.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
TV IV March Madness brackets are up. Check 'em out; I'm proud of a few of the preliminaries that I thought up.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Irish Joe posted:

The Americans was pretty underwhelming last season*. Have things improved this season, or is it more of the same?

*contemporary shows and movies actually handled the Cold War better and with less wankiness than The Americans.

Well opinions seem to be split between better and worse, so the show has changed enough I guess that people don't feel it's more of the same.

For me it definitely feels like a step down so far, but we're only 3 episodes in so I'm not exactly worried or thinking the sky is falling.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

TV IV March Madness brackets are up. Check 'em out; I'm proud of a few of the preliminaries that I thought up.

Prediction: every woman will lose in the first round.

I'm thinking of changing my username to Negative Nancy.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Be fair, bro: Selina's got a good chance, as does Patty Hewes because, seriously, who the gently caress watched Rubicon? Also, I can't imagine anyone voting Mallory over Kenny Powers, but there are a lot more Archer fanboys on this forum than Eastbound and Down viewers, so she's a pretty firm lock.

If we're going to whine, I don't know who Kara Stanton is or why she was included over the First Apostle of the Church of The Machine :colbert:

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

as does Patty Hewes because, seriously, who the gently caress watched Rubicon?

Way to rub salt in old wounds. :(

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Irish Joe posted:

because, seriously, who the gently caress watched Rubicon?

I did, and loved every short second of it :smith:

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Twee as gently caress posted:

Well opinions seem to be split between better and worse, so the show has changed enough I guess that people don't feel it's more of the same.

For me it definitely feels like a step down so far, but we're only 3 episodes in so I'm not exactly worried or thinking the sky is falling.

Ohgod don't bring Falling Skies into any discussion that involves possibly "good" television.

I started re-watching The Walking Dead with a friend and it's the funniest experience. He's one of those types that doesn't suffer fools easily, and hearing him voice Every. Single. Gripe. I mentally had with the show the first time I watched it with the characters and plot, and boneheaded decisions that are made as a result of the interactions of said C&P is something cathartic and amazing. I may even have him watch Falling Skies next just for the shits and giggles but I fear exposing him to too much Bad Television for short term amusement gains will cost me a viewing buddy in the long term.

I'm sure this exists: is there an internet culture in TV viewing similar to that of the Let's Plays you get for videogames, where someone watches a TV show "blind" - either with or without a sitter there that may have seen the show before, and they just record their commentary and reactions to the various events, plot twists and character beats that happen, for us to watch along with and vicariously re-live our first-watches of that show?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cactus posted:

I'm sure this exists: is there an internet culture in TV viewing similar to that of the Let's Plays you get for videogames, where someone watches a TV show "blind" - either with or without a sitter there that may have seen the show before, and they just record their commentary and reactions to the various events, plot twists and character beats that happen, for us to watch along with and vicariously re-live our first-watches of that show?

Kind of. A lot of people post up post-episode recaps of first viewings, but no one really does it as a watch along commentary. With video games you can do that because it's easier to pause the action while you muse about the camel toe modelling on Princess Cumfantasy or whatever but with TV you'd just miss out on poo poo.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Cactus posted:

Ohgod don't bring Falling Skies into any discussion that involves possibly "good" television.

I started re-watching The Walking Dead with a friend and it's the funniest experience. He's one of those types that doesn't suffer fools easily, and hearing him voice Every. Single. Gripe. I mentally had with the show the first time I watched it with the characters and plot, and boneheaded decisions that are made as a result of the interactions of said C&P is something cathartic and amazing. I may even have him watch Falling Skies next just for the shits and giggles but I fear exposing him to too much Bad Television for short term amusement gains will cost me a viewing buddy in the long term.

It wouldn't be the worst idea I guess, I do really love DVD commentaries for that reason, though those aren't usually people who are going in blind, but then they're usually professional comedic writers so it turns out better.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cactus posted:

There's a channel on Youtube called What The Flick? and they will be streaming themselves watching Game of Thrones live. It's a bunch of movie critics from AP, Rotten Tomatoes, The Wrap, and others.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

Be fair, bro: Selina's got a good chance, as does Patty Hewes because, seriously, who the gently caress watched Rubicon? Also, I can't imagine anyone voting Mallory over Kenny Powers, but there are a lot more Archer fanboys on this forum than Eastbound and Down viewers, so she's a pretty firm lock.

I don't know, I think I've seen more talk about Rubicon on this forum than I've seen about Damages, even though Damages had a much longer run.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Not that it'll change a goddamn thing, but you might like to know that Fred Phelps is near death in a Kansas hospice. Courtesy @MiahSaint:

EDIT: Previous version may have broken tables. Fixed.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 16, 2014

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Is anyone else getting the current forum font/colour fuckery I'm getting? :stare:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Zoom to 90%, it'll temporarily fix some of the problem. i think somebody botched the site update. :downsgun:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know someone in this thread hosed the site up. Fess up!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Cactus posted:

I kind of miss Falling Skies, and Defiance. God what I wouldn't give for actual good sci-fi on tv that those are shows I miss.

Also The Americans is fine this season so far, but I don't care about the family drama and want more spy stuff which I guess has been less prominent this season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think it's a little early to say if the spy stuff will be much less prominent in The Americans this year, but even within the first 3 episodes there is plenty of spy stuff being done and set up, with more players than before and existing players having much more important roles (ie Nina Room For Spoilers ).

But it is probably important to not expect it to be more than a character drama with a very unique premise as a bonus, which is good. I wouldn't want it to turn into Homeland (not even "good Homeland") because that already exists.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Deadpool posted:

I know someone in this thread hosed the site up. Fess up!

Godammit IRQ

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yoshifan823 posted:

You might have more stone cold classics, but as far as overall, with the way the indie rap scene has developed, all sorts of awesome people are getting noticed and getting chances they never would have gotten back in the nineties. Guys like Danny Brown or Chance the Rapper or anyone from Odd Future would never have had careers back then. So far this year we've had a great album practically every other week.

Aren't you the guy who proclaimed himself to be TV IV's authority on sitcoms despite being like 20 at the time?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

Aren't you the guy who proclaimed himself to be TV IV's authority on sitcoms despite being like 20 at the time?

No, Yoshi is the guy who likes literally every sitcom that exists.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

Godammit IRQ

Oh right go blaming me again, jerk. You're the ones responsible for Piers Morgan, never forget that!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It's something to do with the forums.css element. If you can block or disable it you should get a readable, if still bent, version of the forum.

By the by, you can apparently read text through spoiler bars while the super blurry text is on, so be careful.

Edit: Seems to be back to normal.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I like it better this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm totally not seeing anything different.

Edit: and I wasn't a couple of hours ago when people were saying it started.

• Locked thread