Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

En Fuego posted:

Way to call a guy on looking unique. Go back to your hole.

It's probably not that kid's fault, he's from the Pacific Northwest and so basically mentally handicapped but if you make specific choices to look like a tool people are going to assume you are a tool.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

vOv posted:

I dunno, I think that wearing a shirt that doesn't cover your armpits is pretty weird.

Well some of us play magic and have arms worth showing off in a beater or a cut off shirt.

Seriously though, someone already said he was a nice guy and with hair like that he is weird all over the place so what is so scandalous about his shirt?

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

En Fuego posted:

Way to call a guy on looking unique. Go back to your hole.

Played Henry yesterday. Smart, polite, plays quick and was a great guy.

Sorry but I have to agree with Korak on this one. Good for him for being polite/smart but he still looks like an idiot. I think there should be a dress code as well. Last thing I want to see is half of someone's body (be it armpit, stomach, rear end) hanging out of their clothes when I'm playing MTG. Also people dressed like slobs at tournaments present a negative image of the MTG player base.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Can we shut up about boring poo poo for a second and discuss that Henry responded to a Painter's Servant with a Fact or Fiction that revealed an actual Counterspell in the Year of Our Lord Two-thousand and Fourteen?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Korak posted:

So uh how about those basic wardrobe requirements that have been proposed since Crackling Perimeter Gate? I think only in Seattle could you see someone that looks like a train hopping club kid show up to play Legacy.

Really? Muscle shirts are kind of niche, but really a part of standard fare, definitely not comparable to baring your butt in public. I live on the other side of the country and wouldn't bat an eye at a muscle shirt, so it's definitely not Seattle.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

AgentSythe posted:

Can we shut up about boring poo poo for a second and discuss that Henry responded to a Painter's Servant with a Fact or Fiction that revealed an actual Counterspell in the Year of Our Lord Two-thousand and Fourteen?

Then fateseals the Top away, Cedric's last turn draws an Imperial Recruiter, and Henry crushes his dreams with a Snapcaster :(

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

AgentSythe posted:

The Fact or Fiction itself surprised me more.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

http://manadeprived.com/crouching-magus-hidden-strings

So uh... :stare: trying this deck next FNM. It looks so bad it's almost good. Except that it isn't. If I get one win off it I will be a very happy man.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Stinky Pit posted:

It's probably not that kid's fault, he's from the Pacific Northwest and so basically mentally handicapped but if you make specific choices to look like a tool people are going to assume you are a tool.

Hey gently caress you and wherever you come from too.

Guess goons have to hate on something all the time, no matter how insignificant.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Yeah guy I'm 100% serious and totally want to bomb Cascadia. You can be sure of this because I would never post a comically ridiculous opinion, here in the Games Subforum, of the Something Awful comedy website.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

MrBling posted:

The Fact or Fiction itself surprised me more.

Chapin and Sullivan's sleep-deprived reactions were hilarious.

"This'll be five lands if there's any justice in the world."

"Ah, a tough guy, eh?"

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Samael posted:

http://manadeprived.com/crouching-magus-hidden-strings

So uh... :stare: trying this deck next FNM. It looks so bad it's almost good. Except that it isn't. If I get one win off it I will be a very happy man.
:ssh: There are more consistent hidden strings dot decks out there right now. Watched Greg Hatch play it on stream a week or two ago and it just isn't as powerful as other decks I've seen abusing Hidden Strings. Just straight UW Heroic is better.

Chapin-Finkel story tldr: Finkel knocks on the hotel door of Chapin and few other guys that had just played in the 96-97 PT Paris event. Finkel had been up gambling for money on mtg games. He zombies his way in, climbs into bed with one of the guys and curls up to pass out. It wasn't even his room.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Stinky Pit posted:

How have you not choked on all that cock you suck yet?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Stinky Pit posted:

Yeah guy I'm 100% serious and totally want to bomb Cascadia. You can be sure of this because I would never post a comically ridiculous opinion, here in the Games Subforum, of the Something Awful comedy website.

Your sense of humor is pretty thoroughly poo poo. It might be a good idea to check to make sure you've actually got a halfway decent sense of humor before running around and assuming an insult would be funny.

Korak posted:

:ssh: There are more consistent hidden strings dot decks out there right now. Watched Greg Hatch play it on stream a week or two ago and it just isn't as powerful as other decks I've seen abusing Hidden Strings. Just straight UW Heroic is better.

Have any links to such decks? I've had a friend who's been complaining about managing to pull a four set of Trait Doctoring and needs a new casual deck to dick around with.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Is the hate for edh because a lot of people like to drag games on to show off combos and cards, as opposed to going for kills?

Yes. This. I don't necessarily hate the format, which is why I haven't just taken my decks apart. I hate the 2-hour circle jerk that the games always end up being. Everyone sits around being worthless until someone (me) dares to attack, then it becomes a game of everyone kill Steve because he's not using an infinite combo to kill people. I've seen a guy with enough damage to be lethal to any one player not attack when I was the only other one with creatures because he thought I'd attack him, even though he could kill me in 1 shot if I did. So I Wrathed and killed him with Commander damage.

Scarletbrother: We're cool. Have you ever tried telling a preschooler you don't want to play with them? It's kinda like that. It turns into a game of how long you can listen to "come oooonnnnn" before you play or leave.

Tl;dr: Nerds are the worst people.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Korak posted:

A friend of mine was (is?) running UW Heroic with Hidden Strings, and considering the budget he was on the deck was surprisingly good. Hidden Strings cipher'd onto Fabled Hero is gross.

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Ramos posted:

Your sense of humor is pretty thoroughly poo poo. It might be a good idea to check to make sure you've actually got a halfway decent sense of humor before running around and assuming an insult would be funny.

Yeah, what anime said.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I mean, I don't think my joke was great or anything, but I didn't think mocking sacred Cascadia was so offensive goddamn.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Apparently a player at SCG Seattle lost a game 3 because his Delver sleeve wasn't opaque enough. :( That's twice in a month that someone lost a game due to "not opaque enough sleeves", and the first was in a Standard event where it really shouldn't have mattered.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It's a good reminder to use the check cards for your Delvers and Huntmasters.

I really want to get a play-set altered to look cool but, that's so pricey.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Stinky Pit posted:

It's a good reminder to use the check cards for your Delvers and Huntmasters.

I really want to get a play-set altered to look cool but, that's so pricey.
Sad part is he still would have got a game loss just like the Standard guy got.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Korak posted:

Apparently a player at SCG Seattle lost a game 3 because his Delver sleeve wasn't opaque enough. :( That's twice in a month that someone lost a game due to "not opaque enough sleeves", and the first was in a Standard event where it really shouldn't have mattered.

I've noticed some of my lighter Ultrapro Matte sleeves, orange in particular, are pretty see-through. I can easily see the back of the cards if I look. I don't actually play any flip cards, so it doesn't matter, though. That's why almost all of my decks I actually play are in black. Plus it makes it a lot easier to switch cards between decks.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Korak posted:

Sad part is he still would have got a game loss just like the Standard guy got.

The guy yesterday might not have been penalized for his sleeves not being opaque enough.

MTR 3.9 posted:

The judge may disallow the card sleeves if he or she believes they are marked, worn, or otherwise in a condition or of a design that interferes with shuffling or game play. In the interest of efficiency, the judge may choose to delay any change of sleeves until the end of the match.

You could theoretically play all clear sleeves as long as they are all indistinguishable and the back of your cards are as well. The judge yesterday could have made a mistake, or he could have assessed the penalty for other reasons.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 16, 2014

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Can you paraphrase?

I'd not mind a telling of the Finkel story myself, if it's not too much trouble for folks.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Explanation of what happened for the game loss at SCG Seattle. Wow that was fast.

steve a player at the GP in Australia got a game loss for his not opaque enough sleeves playing Standard just a few weeks ago. Player is a CFB guy and had the match won in hand sitting at 20 life. It was devestating for him and he ended up not cashing I think after almost going 10-0.

Korak fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 16, 2014

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Aluren going off on SCG. So refreshing to see.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Stinky Pit posted:

50 pounds of bread posted:

How have you not choked on all that cock you suck yet?

I know this thread runs to the chatty, but please stop being insufferable fucks if at all humanly possible. If you find yourself making a post that is a pointless jab at another poster, just close the post window. Hit the report button. Go outside.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

suicidesteve posted:

Yes. This. I don't necessarily hate the format, which is why I haven't just taken my decks apart. I hate the 2-hour circle jerk that the games always end up being. Everyone sits around being worthless until someone (me) dares to attack, then it becomes a game of everyone kill Steve because he's not using an infinite combo to kill people. I've seen a guy with enough damage to be lethal to any one player not attack when I was the only other one with creatures because he thought I'd attack him, even though he could kill me in 1 shot if I did. So I Wrathed and killed him with Commander damage.

Scarletbrother: We're cool. Have you ever tried telling a preschooler you don't want to play with them? It's kinda like that. It turns into a game of how long you can listen to "come oooonnnnn" before you play or leave.

Tl;dr: Nerds are the worst people.

So play with other people who don't want to play a two hour circlejerk, don't play with people who do, don't reward their whining by giving in, and if you do give in don't be an rear end in a top hat just because you couldn't keep saying "no."

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
I need some deck advice once again. I'm playing the below deck and was thinking about removing 2 Satyr Firedancer, 1 Fanatic of Mogis, and 1 Chandra's Phoenix so that 1 can add 4 Firefist Striker. Someone else told me to cut the 4 Boros Reckoner but I feel like he is too strong to remove. Any input would be appreciated.

Creatures (30)
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Rakdos Cackler
2 Satyr Firedancer

Spells (10)
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Shock

Lands (20)
20 Mountain

Sideboard (14)
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
4 Searing Blood
4 Skullcrack
4 Mizzium Mortars

morning wood fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 17, 2014

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Shardless Agent is fantastic addition to Aluren and I am glad to see the deck win.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

meanolmrcloud posted:

Aluren going off on SCG. So refreshing to see.

Bugsy posted:

Shardless Agent is fantastic addition to Aluren and I am glad to see the deck win.
What round + record was the Aluren player? Cedric was joking about playing it this weekend but I opted for Painter combo.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

morning wood posted:

I need some deck advice once again. I'm playing the below deck and was thinking about removing 2 Satyr Firedancer, 1 Fanatic of Mogis, and 1 Chandra's Phoenix so that 1 can add 4 Firefist Striker. Someone else told me to cut the 4 Boros Reckoner but I feel like he is too strong to remove. Any input would be appreciated.

Creatures (30)
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Rakdos Cackler
2 Satyr Firedancer

Spells (10)
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Shock

Lands (20)
20 Mountain

Sideboard (14)
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
4 Searing Blood
4 Skullcrack
4 Mizzium Mortars

I would cut the firedancers but I wouldnt cut the other stuff. Do you ever get mana drought with only 20 land? Might go up to 22 land personally but thats all I would do.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Wow. Daniel Fournier undefeated for the weekend going into game 3 of his quarter finals at GP Montreal. He wisely took some draws for the last few games but who knows if he had pushed it for a record? Gfab vs Daniel for an insane finals?

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I would cut the firedancers but I wouldnt cut the other stuff. Do you ever get mana drought with only 20 land? Might go up to 22 land personally but thats all I would do.

I haven't done an FNM yet with 20 lands but after losing 3 games at FNM the other night in game 3 from having too much mana and nothing to use them for I wanted to try 20 (instead of 22). Did some play testing at home with my GF since she's awesome and plays MTG too, and didn't feel short on mana.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Korak posted:

What round + record was the Aluren player? Cedric was joking about playing it this weekend but I opted for Painter combo.

As of round 6 he was 5-0 and then beat jund, and he is on camera right now in round 7 and is against a bug delver deck right now.

http://www.twitch.tv/scglive

e - cabAl therapy, not cabel therapy Shrout

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 17, 2014

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

clamiam45 posted:

Really? Muscle shirts are kind of niche, but really a part of standard fare, definitely not comparable to baring your butt in public. I live on the other side of the country and wouldn't bat an eye at a muscle shirt, so it's definitely not Seattle.

I always wear a tank top to PTQs and the like. None of the venues in this area have sufficient AC to deal with the attendance they get. Not gonna deny that I look like a "train hopping club kid," but it's way better than sweating the whole day! Every event, I get a few people telling me they wished they'd thought of it.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Bugsy posted:

As of round 6 he was 5-0 and then beat jund, and he is on camera right now in round 7 and is against a bug delver deck right now.

http://www.twitch.tv/scglive

e - cabAl therapy, not cabel therapy Shrout
Watching now. Hoping he can combo off.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

does anyone have the list for the mono blue delver deck that weird-looking kid was playing?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Bonus posted:

does anyone have the list for the mono blue delver deck that weird-looking kid was playing?

I saw that he did a deck tech, but it doesnt look like it is up yet. The coverage team said that the Aluren player also did a deck tech as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

morning wood posted:

I haven't done an FNM yet with 20 lands but after losing 3 games at FNM the other night in game 3 from having too much mana and nothing to use them for I wanted to try 20 (instead of 22). Did some play testing at home with my GF since she's awesome and plays MTG too, and didn't feel short on mana.

It might work out for you then. I dont know that I wouldnt try cutting satyrs for 22 land and cut the two shocks for 2 chandra, pyromasters. If you get her out lategame she definitely solves your flooding/card advantage problems. Either way I dont think the satyrs will be taken advantage of enough with the small amount of burn youre running.

• Locked thread