Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The odds of Magikarp starter could be 1/386 or it could be 0 if the ROM is set up to select only 'Mons with 2 evolutions for starters.

Or the creator could have selected any 3 specific 'Mons they wanted to be our choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Cernunnos posted:

The odds of Magikarp starter could be 1/386 or it could be 0 if the ROM is set up to select only 'Mons with 2 evolutions for starters.

Or the creator could have selected any 3 specific 'Mons they wanted to be our choices.

Watch it be three Kabutos and the chat literally implodes.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
One of the randomizer's option for starter is limiting it to pokemon with three-stage evolution, so nothing on the list would be bad... Right?

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Nyaa posted:

One of the randomizer's option for starter is limiting it to pokemon with three-stage evolution, so nothing on the list would be bad... Right?

Well there is the Pidove line... but that's not until Black/White. Of the Gen 3 Pokemon, maybe the Slaking line? Since with it's turn wasting ability every time we pick a wrong move it's two turns down the drain.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nyaa posted:

I think Ralts has no attacks at level 5. Of course, that was Wally's starter.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008
What would be incredible is if the streamer does the "Metronome Only" setting.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I think Ralts has no attacks at level 5. Of course, that was Wally's starter.

Abra doesn't learn anything via level up until it evolves either.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I really want metronome to be one of the four attacks. Maybe not, only since whiffing the ball is part of the enjoyment of the game, but having the occasional sacred fire or Aeroblast isn't a bad thing either.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Nyaa posted:

Bug pokemon.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Houle posted:

I really want metronome to be one of the four attacks. Maybe not, only since whiffing the ball is part of the enjoyment of the game, but having the occasional sacred fire or Aeroblast isn't a bad thing either.

I just want a Smeargle starter to see what amazing things we'd sketch.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

Eh, most bug mons would be good at the start if they actually get to evolve, so it'd be more of a gamble than outright disadvantage.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Axle_Stukov posted:

Well there is the Pidove line... but that's not until Black/White. Of the Gen 3 Pokemon, maybe the Slaking line? Since with it's turn wasting ability every time we pick a wrong move it's two turns down the drain.
Keep in mind that they can randomize abilities as well. In theory, we could get a Slakoth with Huge Power or Speed Boost. :getin:

... or a caterpie with Truant. :frogbon:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I hope at least some of the Pokemon the gym leaders have end up with WonderGuard.

masam
May 27, 2010
Do any of the trainers have ghost dark pokemon? Because what happens if one of those ends up with wonder guard?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Leofish posted:

I hope at least some of the Pokemon the gym leaders have end up with WonderGuard.

Sabeleye with wonderguard. :getin:

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

masam posted:

Do any of the trainers have ghost dark pokemon? Because what happens if one of those ends up with wonder guard?

Poison, burn

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Leofish posted:

There's an option to turn off Wonder Guard.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

masam posted:

Then it'll be invincible to everything but Struggle. That's why Wonder Guard is an option for randomizing abilities.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Cernunnos posted:

Then it'll be invincible to everything but Struggle. That's why Wonder Guard is an option for randomizing abilities.

Any direct status effect attacks still go through, so Poisonpowder, Toxic, Will-o-Wisp, Confuse Ray, Sandstorm, Hail, etc. work just fine there.

And Twitch has no real way to pull this off, but technically Odor Sleuth allows you to hit a Wonder Guard Sableye with Fighting-type attacks.

masam
May 27, 2010
It isn't like the entirety of twitch plays pokemon has been a struggle. So we could do it. All it takes is loving up so much it wraps back around to success .

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

What if one of them start with surf? We could break the plot's script. :getin:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Not by much, HM overworld use is still limited by your badges, and I think the Surf badge is the 5th (Norman's).

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Oh, that's good to know. :gbsmith:

Blackajack
Aug 5, 2012

Ottakringer Helles

Leofish posted:

Nah, they'll all have a Shedinja with Sturdy. :twisted:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Spretznaz posted:

Shedinja always has Wonder Guard. And I don't think Sturdy would work in that situation.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Cernunnos posted:

Shedinja always has Wonder Guard. And I don't think Sturdy would work in that situation.

We're talking about a utility that modifies the games, and one of its options is randomizing abilities.

And yes, Sturdy Shedinja in Generations 5 and 6 is in fact immune to all direct damage. You can test this with some Skill Swap shenanigans in the official games.

edit: spelling

Zoran fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 16, 2014

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Spretznaz posted:

Sturdy just stops OHKO moves (Guillotine, Sheer Cold, etc.) from working. The "Can't be killed in one hit" effect wasn't added until gen 5.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Zoran posted:

We're talking about a utility that modifies the games, and one of its options is randomizing abilities.

I know. All my randomized ROMs have Shedinja with Wonder Guard. Just whip one up and search the log for Shedinja. Always 1 HP always Wonder Guard.

Zoran posted:

And yes, Sturdy Shedinja in Generations 5 and 6 is in fact immune to all direct damage. You can test this with some Skill Swap shenanigans in the official games.

This on the other hand is both news to me and also pretty cool.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Even if you hack/Skill Swap Sturdy onto Shedinja, it's still pretty useless. Weather, burn/poison, confusion damage, and entry hazards all ignore Sturdy, and anything with Mold Breaker still just doesn't even care.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Cernunnos posted:

I know. All my randomized ROMs have Shedinja with Wonder Guard. Just whip one up and search the log for Shedinja. Always 1 HP always Wonder Guard.

This on the other hand is both news to me and also pretty cool.

It's hell to set up, though. You need to Worry Seed away Wonder Guard, then Skill Swap the resulting Insomnia with Sturdy. Pretty much impossible in Singles, and still takes a good two turns in Doubles. Good luck keeping Shedinja alive for those two turns.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Eh, most bug mons would be good at the start if they actually get to evolve, so it'd be more of a gamble than outright disadvantage.

With the exception of Butterfree learning confusion, they are all terrible early on. Of the ones I am talking about are Butterfree, Beedrill, Dustox, and Beautifly. They are slow, fragile, and generally don't have good natural movepools for this format. And like you said, they have to evolve. They all just run out of steam too quickly because they just have terrible typing for Gen3 and even worse statlines.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

The Bee posted:

It's hell to set up, though. You need to Worry Seed away Wonder Guard, then Skill Swap the resulting Insomnia with Sturdy. Pretty much impossible in Singles, and still takes a good two turns in Doubles. Good luck keeping Shedinja alive for those two turns.

I said it was cool I never said I thought it was practical. Or that I didn't know how to accomplish it. :v:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgsHyPSoX-Y

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zoran posted:

You wanna see someone win with Final Gambit Shedinja? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciuAcwbny6w

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Sonic Advance is going better than I would have expected.

I mean, it did. What is this.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Twitch Plays Watching The Pokemon Cartoon. Including somehow controlling pause/rewind/???.

Singh Long
Oct 9, 2012
It's like watching the editing process of youtube poop.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
This owns

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Haifisch posted:

Twitch Plays Watching The Pokemon Cartoon. Including somehow controlling pause/rewind/???.

I think it's one of those stupid GBA video things. They had a few of them with old Pokemon episodes on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
This is amazing.

• Locked thread