Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Sampatrick posted:

Its because literally every member of Paradox is a racist, eurocentric rear end in a top hat who thinks that Europeans are naturally superior to all other peoples.

Yes. Okay, you got me. It was a loaded question. The better question (that I wanted to ask but phrased poorly) is "Europe more fleshed out than rest of world: because of performance issues, or because of time/budget/manpower constraints?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dibujante posted:

The technical challenges of that would be massive. Dynamic borders in a province-based system would absolutely murder the hundreds of pre-baked computation lookups the Clausewitz engine uses to not grind to a halt when calculating things like travel times, army paths, etc.
I'm looking forward to the day when Paradox finally gives up on this old-fashioned approach to their map and gets with the times. I don't think my expectations are out of line, but I'll let people be the judge of that themselves.

1. Provinces still exist, but their borders are dynamic. Think how cities and hexes work in the Civilization series, except the player can adjust them for provinces they control or when making peace deals.
    2. Additional cities can be built, which allows the splitting of a province. A minimum square pixel size ensures that provinces do not get too small to click, and prevents cities from being built if they would break this rule. The cache for neighboring provinces is rebuilt when a city is added.
    3. A new map is added to the map folder, tradegoods.bmp. This defines the starting trade good produced in each pixel. This is used to define the province trade goods. The same is done for tax, culture, religion, and other relevant statistics.
    4. The terrain can change over time, alongside tradegoods, cultures, tax, and so on, so we can finally have dynamic changes to the world.

I think these are all rather sensible suggestions, and I hope the fine people at Paradox will take them to heart.

E: If completely dynamic cities are too difficult, perhaps a cities.bmp, defining potential city locations could be a compromise?

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 16, 2014

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm looking forward to the day when Paradox finally gives up on this old-fashioned approach to their map and gets with the times. I don't think my expectations are out of line, but I'll let people be the judge of that themselves.

1. Provinces still exist, but their borders are dynamic. Think how cities and hexes work in the Civilization series, except the player can adjust them for provinces they control or when making peace deals.
    2. Additional cities can be built, which allows the splitting of a province. A minimum square pixel size ensures that provinces do not get too small to click, and prevents cities from being built if they would break this rule. The cache for neighboring provinces is rebuilt when a city is added.
    3. A new map is added to the map folder, tradegoods.bmp. This defines the starting trade good produced in each pixel. This is used to define the province trade goods. The same is done for tax, culture, religion, and other relevant statistics.
    4. The terrain can change over time, alongside tradegoods, cultures, tax, and so on, so we can finally have dynamic changes to the world.

I think these are all rather sensible suggestions, and I hope the fine people at Paradox will take them to heart.

E: If completely dynamic cities are too difficult, perhaps a cities.bmp, defining potential city locations could be a compromise?

I'm thinking about how clausewitz games are made and how they run and I think about your suggestions and I'm 90% certain the games would run slow as hell and take up way too much RAM if they got that kind of redesign.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

YF-23 posted:

I'm thinking about how clausewitz games are made and how they run and I think about your suggestions and I'm 90% certain the games would run slow as hell and take up way too much RAM if they got that kind of redesign.

What if instead of bothering with abstractions like "provinces" or "trade goods", Paradox just made the game a 100% accurate simulation of every individual person and object in the world?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It's time... time for hexes!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Rincewind posted:

What if instead of bothering with abstractions like "provinces" or "trade goods", Paradox just made the game a 100% accurate simulation of every individual person and object in the world?
Well, I was thinking my solution was a stepping stone towards that. It is kind of a joke that I can't step into the shoes of my ruler and go beat up some stable boy in a fully fleshed-out personal combat simulator though. Maybe integrate Mount & Blade?

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Patter Song posted:

I have it, and I'm sure others do. I don't want to put it up on Dropbox or something because I'm not looking to get PI's legal department upset at me.

Ah, I figured as much! Oh well, the LP shall live on forever :allears:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Integrate Mount and Blade, Total War, Real Lives, and Paradox games into one megagame that simulates every single person in every country in the world and lets you take command of every one of them. Implement Oblivion's dynamic AI too, so that I can really get immersed in playing a random Aztec peasant who dies of smallpox at age 17.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Video games are not modular additions to generic code. I don't even understand what "integrate Mount and Blade" would mean in gameplay terms.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

In gameplay terms it means that people are joking :spergin:

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Video games are not modular additions to generic code. I don't even understand what "integrate Mount and Blade" would mean in gameplay terms.

You hold the left mouse button as you swipe left, right, up or down and when you release it your nation will conquer in that general direction.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Agean90 posted:

In gameplay terms it means that people are joking :spergin:

Oh, good, someone knows what's going on.

lullelulle posted:

You hold the left mouse button as you swipe left, right, up or down and when you release it your nation will conquer in that general direction.

So, like, the HOI4 system? :v:

Never stop being the craziest mapcrazy, Butters :allears:

Alikchi posted:

I was actually looking at that mod earlier. The artistic style is pretty nice, and some of the changes are good! But then I discovered that he'd started removing vanilla provinces (New Zealand's North Island is only one province now, for instance) and also, look at this:

Argh.

Alright, serious question time. If this is too autistic for you guys, how would you feel about something like this:

?

I've simplified most of the really complicated provinces from DAOLITE/V2, but I didn't think Prussia was super problematic on that score.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

:v:

Alright, serious question time. If this is too autistic for you guys, how would you feel about something like this:

?

I've simplified most of the really complicated provinces from DAOLITE/V2, but I didn't think Prussia was super problematic on that score.
Masuria is kinda long, perhaps split it into Marienburg and Masuria near the Wizna/Plock border? The most direct path from the corner would probably look best, roughly where the last line in the M in Masuria is. Otherwise it looks good to me, but then, I don't mind slightly weird borders as long as they're not Trois-Évêchés. stupid.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
You should combine Warmia's weird extremity with Memel so it looks better.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Integrate Mount and Blade, Total War, Real Lives, and Paradox games into one megagame that simulates every single person in every country in the world and lets you take command of every one of them. Implement Oblivion's dynamic AI too, so that I can really get immersed in playing a random Aztec peasant who dies of smallpox at age 17.

One year after game start, 90% of the characters won't be able to swing a sword due to gout.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

You should combine Warmia's weird extremity with Memel Danzig so it looks better.
I assume this is what you meant?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Masuria's definitely too long. That province borders 9 other provinces-- taking Masuria is a prime opportunity to gently caress up a lot of the Baltic, with that layout.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Oh, good, someone knows what's going on.

So, like, the HOI4 system? :v:

?

Ah, just make it all one province, then challenge Polish and German nationalists to make heads or tails of it. In the same thread.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dibujante posted:

Ah, just make it all one province, then challenge Polish and German nationalists to make heads or tails of it. In the same thread.

Plus the Lithuanians and the Russians.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Kavak posted:

Plus the Lithuanians and the Russians.

You just said "Polish" twice but that's fair, because I said "German" twice in my post up there :getin:

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

vyelkin posted:

In all seriousness this is my loving dream game

It's mankind's ultimate goal

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 17, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Farecoal posted:

In all seriousness this is my loving dream game

It's mankind's ultimate goal

You may as well wish for a Holodeck, that case!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'd love this, which should be a huge flashing warning sign to you that you are a :siren:huge sperg:siren: I also doubt it would be remotely feasible, sadly.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

vyelkin posted:

Someone get Chris Roberts on the phone.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

double nine posted:

Do you know what the reason was for Asian and African provinces to have the size of about 10 european provinces? Was it because paradox considered Europe to be more important and so spent more manpower fleshing out Europe's landschape; or because of performance reasons (# provinces bogging the game down)?

The only thing Africa needs is some provinces bordering all of the lakes so you can actually discover them and get the achievement for discovering everything :(

I didn't get achievement because by 1790, 300 years after I took over the east African coast Lake Victoria (?) and an other lake there are still terra incognita

forkis
Sep 15, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

The only thing Africa needs is some provinces bordering all of the lakes so you can actually discover them and get the achievement for discovering everything :(

I didn't get achievement because by 1790, 300 years after I took over the east African coast Lake Victoria (?) and an other lake there are still terra incognita

I just got the achievement a couple days ago with several African lakes still under TI. Are you sure you didn't forget an ocean province, probably one of the useless ones in the far south Indian ocean?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Going back two pages someone posted screenshots from World Stage (old Magna Mundi) what's the actual status on that? Will they actually be able to release without any legal wrangles and is it any good at all?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
It will never be released both because its unfinished and nobody is working on it, and because they have no rights to distribute it.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

jsoh posted:

It will never be released both because its unfinished and nobody is working on it, and because they have no rights to distribute it.

Ubik could still be working on it, in his secret laboratory deep below ground

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

forkis posted:

I just got the achievement a couple days ago with several African lakes still under TI. Are you sure you didn't forget an ocean province, probably one of the useless ones in the far south Indian ocean?

It was my Najd game where I finally got my Jihad achievement (Note it's 500+ provinces and 100 religious unity while being Sunni, not 500 Sunni provinces) and I don't see any other TI, even all the small islands have been discovered. I can't find any TI'd small sea province that random world keeps making either. Maybe it's the random new world breaking the achievement somehow?

Doing a Castile game now so I'll see if I can get the achievement there.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Going back two pages someone posted screenshots from World Stage (old Magna Mundi) what's the actual status on that? Will they actually be able to release without any legal wrangles and is it any good at all?
Let me put it this way: I LOVED Magna Mundi the Mod, but I couldn't even deal with playing a single decade of World Stage. It's awful gameplay wrapped in awful interface.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Let me put it this way: I LOVED Magna Mundi the Mod, but I couldn't even deal with playing a single decade of World Stage. It's awful gameplay wrapped in awful interface.

Yeah, Magan Mundi was a legit good mod for EU3, even with framing pirates.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'd really like Paradox to move into some fantasy or sci fi games. History is cool and everything but the engine can be used to create some incredible colonization games.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I'd love to see a Paradox version of Civilization.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gort posted:

I'd love to see a Paradox version of Civilization Master of Orion.
:colbert:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Demiurge4 posted:

I'd really like Paradox to move into some fantasy or sci fi games. History is cool and everything but the engine can be used to create some incredible colonization games.

Paradox is one of the only companies out there making nerdy history games, whereas every loving game made by everyone else is fantasy/sci fi poo poo. Let the history weirdos have one thing...

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

double nine posted:

I'd love to see a Paradox version of Civilization Master of Orion.

My liege, an Elerian ambassador has proposed an alliance between our mighty Empires!

- Tell her that we will accept the proposal, let the bad blood between us wash away like a river under a bridge!

- Tell her that we must decline the proposal, and send her head away to deliver our response to the Queen!

- Give her a good tumble

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Disco Infiva posted:

My liege, an Elerian ambassador has proposed an alliance between our mighty Empires!

- Tell her that we will accept the proposal, let the bad blood between us wash away like a river under a bridge!

- Tell her that we must decline the proposal, and send her head away to deliver our response to the Queen!

- Give her a good tumble
The only game where this would be somewhat sensible:

Comet Sighted posted:

Peasants are always superstitious, and the appearance of a comet in the sky has caused panic among our people. They are convinced that this is a sign that the end of times is near or that something bad is going to happen in the near future.

- Stop looking at the sky!

- Give it a good tumble

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Paradox is one of the only companies out there making nerdy history games, whereas every loving game made by everyone else is fantasy/sci fi poo poo. Let the history weirdos have one thing...
Paradox games are fantasy too. :reject:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

On the other hand, if they actually manage to export Crusader Kings II's style of emergent storytelling to RPGs with Runemaster, it could be revolutionary. Either way, I doubt they'll abandon their old franchises.

• Locked thread