Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So, do any of the heroes actually wonder why Homs are piloting Face Mechon like robo-suits or is it all "Fiora is alive" awe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

C-Euro posted:

Yeah, robo-suits is probably the safest direction they could have taken to explain those things but I still haven't gotten tired of robo-suits in my media.

One other thing I really like about that whole sequence is the shot-for-shot callbacks to all of Shulk's visions since the Ether Mines. Of course it makes sense that things would play out like he had seen them in visions, but having that very precise payoff makes it all the more sweeter due to seeing it in bits and pieces repeatedly. And there's probably some final lesson in this game about how trying to change the future makes it come to pass anyway, but again I haven't gotten that far.

Isn't that the opposite of what the rest of the game so far has been showing, though?

At this point, "the future didn't refuse to change!" kind of comes as a breath of fresh air; it'd be a pity if the writing abandoned that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DOOP posted:

So, do any of the heroes actually wonder why Homs are piloting Face Mechon like robo-suits or is it all "Fiora is alive" awe?

Isn't it the fact that they are immune to the Monado? Gives the Mechon a pretty sweet tactical advantage.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Isn't it the fact that they are immune to the Monado? Gives the Mechon a pretty sweet tactical advantage.

Well, not any more, at least now that Zanza went on Grafh on it and turned it into a super-Monado. Now Shulk gets to see if he can balance "gently caress I HATE MECHON :byodood:" with "I don't want to hurt Fiora :smith:".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JT Jag posted:

I assumed that the Faces were machines with the spirits of humans in them, or they were fully integrated with humans like a cyborg deal. And I thought the red liquid on their surfaces was literally blood, probably from the body of the human that inhabited the Face. I didn't expect them to just be robo-suits.

I honestly wonder if it was meant to be a double-fakeout. The blood pumping through idea seems like an easy logical deduction for the player to make (I thought the same thing - they eat Homs and circulate it around the outer shell of the Face Mechon as a kind of shield), so when the FACE MECHON ARE PEOPLE! :supaburn: reveal comes it's still a surprise.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Kinda puts that "women in refrigerators" argument earlier off a bit, doesn't it. :v:

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

alcharagia posted:

Kinda puts that "women in refrigerators" argument earlier off a bit, doesn't it. :v:

I may have spent a lot of that conversation sniggering.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

alcharagia posted:

Well strictly speaking her corpse was probably refrigerated for preservation until they could mechonize her! :v:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

PleasingFungus posted:

Isn't that the opposite of what the rest of the game so far has been showing, though?

At this point, "the future didn't refuse to change!" kind of comes as a breath of fresh air; it'd be a pity if the writing abandoned that.

Now that I think about it, I don't think Shulk was trying to change what he saw in his visions of Prison Island. In fact, I like to think that there's some small unwritten implication that he wanted things to play out this way- "sure the Emperor dies, but I saw that in my vision right before I saw myself cutting down Metal Face, so if I let him die then I get my shot at revenge!" It would really drive home the vengeance at any cost angle, right before that vengeful side shrivels up.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I really really like how entirely reasonable the High Entia rulers are. The Emperor was the entire time, Melia is a party member, and Kallian offers Shulk an ambassador position and when he declines, still helps him out. It's really refreshing to see the jrpg "ancient advanced race" to actually be diplomatic and respectful even through their alleged xenophobia. It's just a small faction that are a bunch of jerks, the rest are cool people.

Seconding this. I mean an elf analogue just admitted that hiding behind their defences and letting everyone else fend for themselves was kinda a dick move. I mean holy poo poo they actually apologized, that almost never happens.

Behold the standard elf leader -
"Oh the world is in peril? Well we, the Elves, knew all about this danger right from the start :smuggo:... but with our great intelligence and wisdom we bravely decided to ignore the problem. :downs: But now things have escalated to terrible proportions we'd very much like it if you foolish ignorant humans could bail us out. Chumps"

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

FYI I am just taking a week off everything to finish up a screenplay and some painting commissions post exam period, so expect an update near the end of the week/start of next week.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Have you been doing the Colony 6 stuff? You should be able to get everything up to level 3 about this point.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I had to redo this a few times because I was losing my voice, and I kept sounding like satan doing an LP.

Edit: Commentary does start about 7 minutes in. I was too busy being VERY confused by flat escalators.

That is pretty much how I take them in real life.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 3, 2014

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Lethemonster posted:

I had to redo this a few times because I was losing my voice, and I kept sounding like satan doing an LP.

I don't see what's wrong with Satan dabbling in LPs, really, but I think you might have uploaded a version without commentary.

Edit: Oh, it starts up 7 minutes in. Sorry, nevermind.

mdct fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 3, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Somewhere between level 43-45, Melia gets “Starlight Kick”. :getin:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I pretty much blitzed through this area because, after seeing that Fiora was alive, I really wanted to see her again. She was my favorite character, you see.

I think at this point I started rolling with Melia, Riki, and Dunban and never looked back... well at least for a long time. Those three were the first I got to max Affinity.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Valak really is best when you first get there during the day and then get to see everything start to light up at night.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

Valak really is best when you first get there during the day and then get to see everything start to light up at night.

I much prefer being introduced to yellow snow mountain.

Guessing lots of Nopon has wandered through recently.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Silver Falcon posted:

I pretty much blitzed through this area because, after seeing that Fiora was alive, I really wanted to see her again. She was my favorite character, you see.

This area is pretty well designed to let you speed through it if you choose. Satorl marsh had that 4-item fetch quest towards the end, but this one only has one item you need to fetch (for the obligatory mini-boss), and it doesn't take that long.

I keep picking this game up thinking I'll make some progress on the main plot, but all I end up doing is finishing up collection and sidequests.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This is interesting. It seems like Fiora's been overwritten by whatever Mechon personality is in her, but is that the case for the Homs in Metal Face? Or is the clawing a memory the Mechon can access like Fiora's love for Shulk?

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I'm sorry about the persistent delays guys. Unfortunately I am still quite ill. My doctors have managed to kill pretty much everything in me apart from the drat infection I've had for two months! It's in my ear and jaw. I've been sat on a bundle of updates but talking for any period of time is just too drat painful.

To give you something more interesting I would like people still ready to post a couple of their favourite characters. I will do some background running around and prepare a host of the heart to hearts and interesting side quests since Dug and the Minions commentate those!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Dunban is the most handsome man in video games, so why not him?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I like Melia, for some reason her unusual combat style really clicks with me. She the fragile mage actually has one of the most reliable and easiest single-person Topple combos in the game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Reyn for the party banter, but Dunban was the most fun playable character.

Glazius posted:

This is interesting. It seems like Fiora's been overwritten by whatever Mechon personality is in her, but is that the case for the Homs in Metal Face? Or is the clawing a memory the Mechon can access like Fiora's love for Shulk?

I'm pretty sure this gets somewhat explained later on, so I'm hesitant to spoil stuff now.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Lethemonster posted:

I'm sorry about the persistent delays guys. Unfortunately I am still quite ill. My doctors have managed to kill pretty much everything in me apart from the drat infection I've had for two months! It's in my ear and jaw. I've been sat on a bundle of updates but talking for any period of time is just too drat painful.

Your health comes first! Focus on getting better first! A healthy Lethemonster is a happy Lethemonster, and a happy Lethemonster makes a better LP. We understand.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Lethemonster posted:

infection I've had for two months!
:stare: I hope your situation improves, because good lord that's one hell of a bug.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

C-Euro posted:

Dunban is the most handsome man in video games, so why not him?
Hell yes
I also have a soft spot for Melia, she's a pretty great character :3:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

How is that you have not unanimously voted for the mighty Heropon? :saddowns:

Lethemonster, please take your time and rest up as much as you need to. Any infection that sticks around for two months is far more important than an LP.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
This is actually a pretty difficult question, because the entire party was so drat likeable. I've also found that to be surprisingly rare in RPGs. There's usually three or four party members who I rotate through while I ignore the rest.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

This is actually a pretty difficult question, because the entire party was so drat likeable. I've also found that to be surprisingly rare in RPGs. There's usually three or four party members who I rotate through while I ignore the rest.

^^^^ Pretty much this. The character I really avoided playing as was Melia because I just couldn't wrap my head around her playstyle, yet she saw about as much party time as everyone else did by the end of the game.

I didn't really play as Sharla that much either because her cool downs were far too slow for me, but the AI handled her great, so I can't complain.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 17, 2014

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
For the love of me, I cannot find Agile Albatro in Makna Forest.

The brief says it's in the Barren Moor area but I've swept the area up and down and not found it, and I'm *PRETTY* sure I didn't already hunt it down before.

Weirdly, I *did* find a unique lizardman farther north that I hadn't already seen before. :psyduck:

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 18, 2014

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

InfiniteJesters posted:

The brief says it's in the Barren Moor area but I've swept the area up and down and not found it, and I'm *PRETTY* sure I didn't already hunt it down before.

Weirdly, I *did* find a unique lizardman farther north that I hadn't already seen before. :psyduck:

Clear or hot weather. More to the point, not raining.

If you're concerned you're in the wrong place, I've circled the (Japanese) name and location of it, in red, on this map:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

InfiniteJesters posted:

Jump off the bridge. It flies around down near the river.

For me, Breezy Zelos near Windmill Pavillion is the one I can't ever seem to find.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

Vil posted:

Clear or hot weather. More to the point, not raining.

If you're concerned you're in the wrong place, I've circled the (Japanese) name and location of it, in red, on this map:

Well gently caress me, I really *WAS* looking in the wrong place then. I was clear in the wrong half of the map!

The Nopon NPC who gave me that quest gave me the impression the beasty would be in the middle section of the swamps area, not the river/lake area!

Thanks to both of you! Now I can sleep easy.

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 18, 2014

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Jump off the bridge. It flies around down near the river.

For me, Breezy Zelos near Windmill Pavillion is the one I can't ever seem to find.

Breezy Zelos's spawn point is the purple label at X 1527, Y -64, on that map. In other words, a short ways north of Windmill Pavilion.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
I AM A DOOFUS! :suicide: I meant Sunlight Schvaik in Satorl Marsh, not Agile Albatro in Makna Forest.

EDIT: GameFAQs guide says it's near Silent Obelisk, sooo...The in-game information was close but no cigar. Well now I finally know!

InfiniteJesters fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 18, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

InfiniteJesters posted:

I AM A DOOFUS! :suicide: I meant Sunlight Schvaik in Satorl Marsh, not Agile Albatro in Makna Forest.

EDIT: GameFAQs guide says it's near Silent Obelisk, sooo...The in-game information was close but no cigar. Well now I finally know!

That guy's a huge pain too. Sometimes he's very hard to find, I spent a whole bunch of time advancing time by an hour looking for him. I'd head away from Silent Obelisk towards crown tree slightly.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

InfiniteJesters posted:

Morning to evening, not out at night. I think he might have a relatively wide roaming area, but don't hold me to that. Spawn location is circled in red again:

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

I thought this was the regular Xenoblade thread for a minute :psyduck:

A word of warning about Breezy Zelos - he spawns right in the path of a roaming t-rex enemy, so you have to gib him as fast as humanly possible if you don't want to get your face chewed off by a dinosaur in the middle of the fight.

I never had a problem finding Sunlight Schvaik, he always managed to find me first. I couldn't go two seconds in that part of the zone during daytime without a screaming eagle divebombing my head. He somehow manages to be everywhere at once

vaguely fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
GOT THE FUCKER! I just had to spawn at Silent Obelisk once and wait 10 seconds for him.

I think I was searching too far North, initially.

• Locked thread