Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I dunno, when they first showed him, I was like "man, this guy looks like a flying monkey." Something about his hair.

His niceness just seemed to good to be true! Emma can't be actually happy, come on now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Gnossiennes posted:

I dunno, when they first showed him, I was like "man, this guy looks like a flying monkey." Something about his hair.

His niceness just seemed to good to be true! Emma can't be actually happy, come on now.

Yeah I just found it ridiculous that even with Emma's super power she (and Henry) didn't sense anything wrong at all until the moment he changed into a monkey.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Gnossiennes posted:

Emma can't be actually happy, come on now.
Based on what she says after Hook comes running up to the roof Emma agrees with this :v:

I'm glad Robin Hood is part of the cast now but sad because I don't want to see his very soul crushed, which is basically the fate of everyone on this show :(

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

dog kisser posted:

I enjoyed Snow's "K Regina I know you're going to whine about this but come with us and hang out I'm not going to be a bitch about it this time, promise"

That boggles my mind: "hey Regina, the townspeople will be comforted if we put on a united front".

Uh huh. Regina may not quite be literally Hitler, but she's about Genghis Khan levels of evil. Mass murder, individual murder, patricide, slavery, rape, and that's just off the top of my head. Sure the writing kind of forces you to root for her, but sometimes the whiplash strains credulity even by the standards of this show.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Gnossiennes posted:

His niceness just seemed to good to be true!

My first thought was "Auggie!" so I suspected nothing. I gasped so hard when he (spoiler from the movie Frozen) pulled a Prince Hans on her.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I was expecting a 1939 movie style Wicked Witch, huh.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

parque bynch posted:

Not only that, but we've established that their fairy tales exist in the real world. Were they really in Storybrooke for 28 years, and had the curse lifted for a few months (maybe longer?), and The Wizard of Oz never came on TV? Neil at least would surely have seen it at some point and be like "flying monkeys, really?"

Did Neil even see it? I thought it was just Snow, Regina and the Merry Men. Even if he did see it it all happened pretty fast and the monkey was in the process of flying away. I don't think it's that odd he didn't immediately jump to 'flying monkey/Wizard of Oz'. Snow and Regina did say they hadn't seen anything like it before. Given that Oz is a different realm it would be new to them. Even if they'd seen the movie there isn't a reason to think every fantasy world/fairytale is real.

bamhand posted:

Yeah I just found it ridiculous that even with Emma's super power she (and Henry) didn't sense anything wrong at all until the moment he changed into a monkey.

Emma's "super power" has been shown to work or not work as the plot needs before. It's really irritating. I chalked Walsh up in my mind as the fact that Emma is horrible at dating, is always paranoid and commitment phobic so any guy she dates is going to feel off to her. Especially if it's going well. She doesn't remember magic and poo poo exists so there is even less reason for her to believe it's not all in her head like usual.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

KilGrey posted:

Emma's "super power" has been shown to work or not work as the plot needs before. It's really irritating.

This bothered me as well. Seems as though they spent the last season+ convincing Emma that she doesn't really have the power to sense truth (even though it always works out that she was right), and just downplaying that aspect in general.

It pissed me off every time because (1) I think it's a cool power to have and (2) they've been so willy-nilly about it that it's hurt Emma's presence as a badass heroine.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Barehanded Brother posted:

Wait what the gently caress you have to be a Hulu Plus member to watch this now?

welp time to set the DVR for "reruns" and find something else to do with my Monday lunchbreak :argh:

I think they put the last episode of the show on abc's website after a few days.

It could very well be that Emma did sense something off with Walsh, but that she didn't trust her own instincts since everything else about him was pointing 'nice guy'. She's always full of self doubt. She doesn't fully believe in the power since it was so off (in her mind) with Neil.

Poor Neil is really going to get the brush off from Henry...

ashez2ashes fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 12, 2014

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

nelson posted:

No. Snow and Charming talked about having a baby last season. Also, babies can not be evil. They may grow up to be evil but they are not born that way.

Although I don't think Snow's child is some antichrist-in-fetus-form, this is a fairy tale / fantasy show. I would imagine that babies being born evil isn't exactly out of the question here.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
On a more positive note, Henry didn't annoy me this episode. He just seemed like a normal kid.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

nelson posted:

On a more positive note, Henry didn't annoy me this episode. He just seemed like a normal kid.

Well he now has the memories of growing up as a normal kid instead of being the only non-immortal in a town of non-aging immortals who don't notice that he's the only kid that advances to a new grade every year. He's a lot better off not getting his memory back.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Jesus, Wonderland got dark this week. Poor Lizard just can't catch a break.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

Jesus, Wonderland got dark this week. Poor Lizard just can't catch a break.

I like the addition of the girl from The Ring.

Also Cyrus backstory is always nice, because he seemed very Mary-Sueish in the first set of episodes.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I'm really liking the woman playing the Jabberwocky. She has this way of moving that's very primal and predatory. Enjoying the Red Queen a lot too. It was nice to see her have something more meaty to work with this last episode.

Is Will still missing his heart? For some reason I thought there was a line by Alice that she helped him get his heart back.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

KilGrey posted:

Is Will still missing his heart? For some reason I thought there was a line by Alice that she helped him get his heart back.

She helped him get it back but he just hid it somewhere rather than putting it back in.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

KilGrey posted:

I'm really liking the woman playing the Jabberwocky. She has this way of moving that's very primal and predatory.

Yeah she's awesome. I keep thinking I recognize her from something but both times I've looked her up nothing seems like anything I'd know her from.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Yeah she's awesome. I keep thinking I recognize her from something but both times I've looked her up nothing seems like anything I'd know her from.

Agreed. I liked Wonderland before, but not as much as OUAT. However, Wonderland has been pretty strong since returning from the break. The addition of the Jabberwocky is what's making it great.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

KasioDiscoRock posted:

She really reminds me of Maggie Q.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

ShakeZula posted:

She really reminds me of Maggie Q.

That was the same conclusion I came to (for why I felt she was so familiar with a resume full of shows I never watched while she was in them). I love the Jabberwocky's spider woman thing. It's both fun and unsettling. The woman has hip joints like one of those occasionally creepy Japanese dolls.

I also want a close-up of her manicure.

On original flavor OUAT it's amusing to me how they have managed to find a way to maintain their original format: flashbacks to a forgotten past cut with the present day. I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would, especially since the old allusions to Oz (which seemed a bit fan-baiting) are actually paying off.

And since we were also talking about recognizing/failing to recognize actors from other things, I binged through Pretty Little Liars over the winter break and only now made the connection between Prince Philip and Dr. Wren, who never met a bit of jailbait he didn't go for. I wish I could unrecognize him.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
It's a bit uncanny how much Henry looks like Mary Margaret. If someone told me she was his mother, I'd believe them without question.

e: Also, calling it now: Snow's baby is going to be Dorothy and she'll have been prophesied to kill the Wicked Witch or something.

e2: Is that convulsing guy who turned into a flying monkey The Fat Guy from "Lost"?

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 17, 2014

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Selena hopping onto a broom and flying off was pretty funny. Also the way Regina lit up about destroying someone.

I'm excited for this season.

rare bird
Jun 19, 2013

I enjoyed this episode WAY more than last, it felt like a dramatic mix between late s1 and early s2, definitely felt like the beginning of a whole other season, though. The Neverland/Wicked Witch plots shouldn't be within the same season. The twist was amazing. The end was amazing. Snow's baby is gonna be a monkey.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
Super strong episode, though I'll echo the sentiment that it feels like a 4th season over 3B; there's a really rich storyline here and it'd totally be good for a 22 episode arc (or even a full 13 with a back nine of something else). I hope they don't have to cut chunks of it too heavily to squeeze it into the second half.

Damiya fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 17, 2014

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Interesting choice to have Gold be all full Rumple voice even back in Storybrook.

Definitely looking forward to this half of the season. Kinda glad they switched directions. Neverland was pretty drat good but it was starting to show signs of fatigue at points. Maybe the show is good for half season arcs instead.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

So Rumple is crazy from being in solitary confinement for (theoretically) a year? Even if he lost his dark powers, which I doubt because Zelena(?) would have no use for him, he's been locked up before in
Snow's castle and he was able to hold onto his sanity then. The only reason I can see for him being insane is perhaps she completely stripped his memories and confinement is all he knows.

I thought it was clever that she is keeping him in a storm shelter.

fork bomb fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 17, 2014

rare bird
Jun 19, 2013

That makes the most sense to me, and it also seems they're mirroring those particular season 1 scenes with Rumple holed up in Snow's castle.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

Rumple losing his memories doesn't explain why he doesn't use his powers to escape, however. He became the dark one when he killed the old guy; there is no forgetting the power/magic, it's in his blood. Forgetting all previous life events does not mean changing the nature of his being, and even if he can't remember poo poo he would still want to get out of that cage.

But if he absolved himself of the dark powers when he killed Pan, why does Zelena want him? If he holds no magic then he's just a dude and not a weapon for her to wield.

I guess I just worked it out in my head: the cage is magic. :doh:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I sort of assumed his insanity was due at least in part to being brought back from the dead or whatever. The process/experience itself might have messed him up good.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Rumple's back! :dance:

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

ShakeZula posted:

I sort of assumed his insanity was due at least in part to being brought back from the dead or whatever. The process/experience itself might have messed him up good.

Maybe the Wicked Witch got his dagger and made him hurt Neil? That would definitely mess him up.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

YESSS. So glad to see more Rumple. I am pumped for the rest of this season, seriously.

I'm also super excited to find out Zelena's sob story.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Macaluso posted:

Rumple's back! :dance:

Spoiled in the first 30 seconds with his name on screen :sigh: The dagger disappeared during his death scene, I'd assume that's a big enough gap that they can write him as The Dark One or as The Non-Dark One Who Died And Came Back Without Dark One Powers.

Is she really Regina's sister? They made a big deal last episode about getting some of her Blood and now Blood Magic is failing all over the place. Only have her word to go on for now.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

JawnV6 posted:

Spoiled in the first 30 seconds with his name on screen :sigh: The dagger disappeared during his death scene, I'd assume that's a big enough gap that they can write him as The Dark One or as The Non-Dark One Who Died And Came Back Without Dark One Powers.

Is she really Regina's sister? They made a big deal last episode about getting some of her Blood and now Blood Magic is failing all over the place. Only have her word to go on for now.
Half-sister.

Also the other flying monkey clawed at her the time they came back yeah? (or was that Snow?)

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

It was Regina, which I think is the point JawnV6 was getting at. Why would Zelena need her blood if being half-sisters was enough to break blood magic?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

fork bomb posted:

It was Regina, which I think is the point JawnV6 was getting at. Why would Zelena need her blood if being half-sisters was enough to break blood magic?
Might be a fake out and she isn't really but to be fair regardless of that fact, OUAT is probably second most incestuous thing ever right behind the Ptolemy family tree.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Loved the episode but one thing bothered me. Cora's tomb. She died in Storybrooke if I recall. She wouldn't have a tomb in Regina's castle. e: Nevermind. She did fake her death at one point.

nelson fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 18, 2014

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I thought it was strange that they went to the trouble of making the flying monkeys actually scary looking, but then just slapped some green paint and a silly outfit on Rebecca Mader, and called it a day.
Wonderland continues to be the best Once Upon a Time, even though it is surely cancelled.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Wonderland is getting super incestuous too but I always thought it was going to be one-and-done 13 episodes anyway. Won't feel too bad for it being canceled even though it is pretty drat good.

Wonderland doesn't seem very drug-trippy crazy like most people were expecting and just mostly West Coast forests with mushrooms instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Wonderland's quite an enjoyable little show thanks to its' tight plotting. The Ring/Amara twist was rather enjoyable. Again, poor Lizard. She didn't get much of a sendoff, did she?

As for OUAT original, it's decent, but I still don't know why the characters don't just bundle into a van and hightail it outta storybrooke now there's only a stupid monkey around.

Speaking of, the Werewolf/Monkey bite thing is a nice menacing turn.

As for Rumple's reappearance, it's probably linked to Neal, because we haven't heard BLOOD MAGIC enough yet.

• Locked thread