Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

cailleask posted:

Congratulations on undoing all your hard work adjusting to your meds. Now you get to do it all over again, because spoiler: you aren't getting a job until you solve your brain problems.

Did you sign up for obamacare? Since you make nothing, it will cost you basically nothing. Then you can get your brain pills again. Nothing is ever going to change for you without brain pills and therapy.

But he's coming to terms with being a habitual liar for the 6th time, surely that will change everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Steampunk iPhone posted:

Just dropping in to let y'all know that Benny's fetish is being an adult baby for a 50-60 year old woman. Well by.

All the adult baby guys I know have the same personality, it's loving weird.

Steampunk iPhone
Sep 2, 2009

by XyloJW

Clochette posted:

All the adult baby guys I know have the same personality, it's loving weird.

How many adult baby guys do you know?

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Steampunk iPhone posted:

How many adult baby guys do you know?

A handful. :colbert:

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Clochette posted:

A handful. :colbert:

They're always a handful at that age.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

cailleask posted:

Congratulations on undoing all your hard work adjusting to your meds. Now you get to do it all over again, because spoiler: you aren't getting a job until you solve your brain problems.

Did you sign up for obamacare? Since you make nothing, it will cost you basically nothing. Then you can get your brain pills again. Nothing is ever going to change for you without brain pills and therapy.

I'm not from the US so I'm not sure about this, but isn't there a deadline approaching for Obamacare? If there is, you need to make signing up a high priority Benny.

Also, there are a ton of brain pills which are out of patent and available as generics. Even if they wouldn't be your provider's medication of first choice, doctors are usually willing to look at alternatives when money is tight.

Perhaps you can ask the unemployment office whether there are any mental health problems to which they can refer you as well.

Here's a link where you can search for both state and corporate assistance available for prescriptions as well as free and low cost clinics and discount card programme.

https://www.pparx.org/en/prescription_assistance_programs/list_of_participating_programs

Needymeds is another good resource.

http://www.needymeds.org/index.htm

You need to make ongoing mental health care happen, Benny, even if that means you have to combine multiple resources. You haven't spent nearly enough time in therapy or on meds to even begin getting your life in order.

You need to remember that we're not the unemployment office and that you don't benefit in any way by lying to us. Even if your end game is to intentionally make yourself seem "unemployable" and get yourself on some type of income support which requires nothing of you (and I'm not sure that isn't your intention, to be honest), then lying to us doesn't help you reach that objective.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 16, 2014

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
That's a good post with lots of good information but there is no way Benny's going to go through all that work. I'd be glad to be proven wrong here, but he's spent a whole year not taking advice or listening to criticism.

I think Benny likes not having a job, likes living at home, and likes having his mom take care of him. I'm wondering if she gives him an allowance every week or something. The only reason we know so much about his life is because he got mad when she threatened to throw away his comics. A loving grown man.

edit: Benny shouldn't be able to enter the thunderdome until he gets a job.

Greg Legg fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 17, 2014

April
Jul 3, 2006

Aqua Bear posted:

That's a good post with lots of good information but there is no way Benny's going to go through all that work. I'd be glad to be proven wrong here, but he's spent a whole year not taking advice or listening to criticism.

I think Benny likes not having a job, likes living at home, and likes having his mom take care of him. I'm wondering if she gives him an allowance every week or something. The only reason we know so much about his life is because he got mad when she threatened to throw away his comics. A loving grown man.

So if Benny's fetish is being an adult baby who is cared for by a woman aged 50-60, and he currently lives at home being cared for by a woman aged (probably) 50-60... ugh. This is getting into Marjan Siklic territory.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Right!? This thread has been loving weird lately.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Aqua Bear posted:

Right!? This thread has been loving weird lately.

This thread, hell, THE WHOLE FORUM IS loving HIDEOUS WHAT THE gently caress JUST HAPPENED.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

It all makes so much sense now. The circle is complete.

Go get them Grammas, Benny! Diapers don't change themselves!

Aqua Bear posted:

A loving grown man.

This is essentially the thread, distilled.

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012

Aqua Bear posted:

edit: Benny shouldn't be able to enter the thunderdome until he gets a job.

I completely agree with your post, except that last bit. Benny being banned from the Thunderdome won't change any other aspect of his life:

BENNY BANNED:
- Weeeee I don't have a job!
- Weeeee I guess I'm banned from writing now, I would totally be writing the next great American novel now but I can't, oh well

BENNY NOT BANNED:
- Weeeee I don't have a job!
- Here's my hilarious 10-80% effort story, enjoy!

I guess what I'm trying to say is the first option only punishes us, and encourages Benny to do even more nothing than he is already.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
I still eagerly await the day that we get a mod challenge out of this year long clusterfuck. :smith:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

That drat Satyr posted:

I still eagerly await the day that we get a mod challenge out of this year long clusterfuck. :smith:

Wouldn't Benny failing the challenge and getting probated/banned be a foregone conclusion?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Maybe he gets off on being scolded. Maybe this whole thing was a long con.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
The thunderdome stories are mostly quite good this week. Can't wait to see Benny's entry.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Benny, a year ago you said that there were places you hadn't applied (the National Corps, Peace Corps and AmeriCorps) to because you needed a job quickly and they couldn't offer that. Have you even contacted those organisations in the last 12 months or are you putting it off because you've convinced yourself that you're going to find work soon (despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary)?

You also said that you'd consider the military if you'd exhausted all your other options. While the idea of the military employing you frightens the poo poo out of me, it's an idea which you should have at least revisited when you were still unemployed after a considerable period of time had passed.

Last year your parents were struggling with employment issues of their own. Are they now both in steady, full-time employment or are things worse for your family overall after a year of multiple people in the family being out of work for varying periods of time? I ask because I would have totally run out of patience with you by now and be at the "if you haven't found a way to contribute your financial share to this household within 30 days then you're going to have to move out" stage.

From what you've told us, your family is in no position to support a 24 year old man-child indefinitely and for some reason you seem to have lost any sense of urgency about finding employment (or you'd be considering night-time jobs which required you to borrow one of the household cars when your parents aren't at work). At this point, you should be willing to take "one-off" jobs like mowing a neighbour's lawn for cash - anything which allows you to make a substantial contribution to household expenses each week while you're looking for something more steady.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Steampunk iPhone posted:

Just dropping in to let y'all know that Benny's fetish is being an adult baby for a 50-60 year old woman. Well by.

Shut it down boys. Thread has reached it's natural conclusion.

Beautiful.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The habitual, almost casual lying actually is a sign of being in an abusive home. The whole "owning up to your mistakes garners you more respect than if you cover it up" simply doesn't apply in abusive households and kids will learn to do whatever is most expedient to avoid trouble or abuse, and then carry that mindset on to their outside lives.

Obviously Benny is an ostensible adult who is responsible for his actions, but it doesn't paint a good picture of his upbringing.

Edit: Hell, even the baby-fetish points to someone who did not receive sufficient or proper care in his childhood.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Lolie posted:

You also said that you'd consider the military if you'd exhausted all your other options.

I think he'd be disqualified on psychiatric grounds, no?

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Assuming the adult baby thing is true what possible reason would Benny have for ever coming back? What type of person would subject themselves to so much humiliation?

EDIT:

Clochette posted:

This thread is 119 pages long.

Yeah but that almost all just generally being a life gently caress up man child which is bad enough but-discounting the puppet master theory-the only thing that's kept him coming back is not being mod challenged/anyone really revealing anything other his obsession with getting laid. Posting something so terribly embarrassing and personal has to be the last straw but I don't even know where the bottom is with this guy

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 17, 2014

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

The SituAsian posted:

Assuming the adult baby thing is true what possible reason would Benny have for ever coming back? What type of person would subject themselves to so much humiliation?

This thread is 119 pages long.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

lizardman posted:

The habitual, almost casual lying actually is a sign of being in an abusive home. The whole "owning up to your mistakes garners you more respect than if you cover it up" simply doesn't apply in abusive households and kids will learn to do whatever is most expedient to avoid trouble or abuse, and then carry that mindset on to their outside lives.

Benny's already told us enough about his upbringing that it's not unreasonable for us to conclude that it was at least emotionally abusive (and probably physically, too, given that his mother considers hitting adult children to be OK).

He describes his mother as a broken, belligerent person who was herself abused and his father as a hellfire and brimstone Christian who convinced his children that the Apocalypse is literally nigh (to such an extent that Benny often perceives world events in this context).

Even if he had no mental health issues, Benny certainly had reasons as a child to avoid angering his parents and such behaviours often carry over into adulthood even when there's no rational reason for them to continue - and in Benny's case the fact that he still lives with his parents gives him reasons to try to avoid incurring their wrath.

Benny hasn't specifically mentioned how he feels about his cultural heritage (he's said before that he's first generation Mexican-American and that his father's immigration status is "vague") but he has said that him not prioritising "family" has on occasion led to conflict so it could be another factor in him playing loose with the truth in order to avoid negative consequences.

Benny says that he hates his family with the exception of his little sister and considers them toxic. That's not something you generally hear people who've grown up feeling loved, valued and secure saying.

It's hard to know when Benny is telling the unfiltered truth, but if even half of what he's said about his background is true and he has even relatively mild mental health issues (he's said more than once that "insanity" runs in his family but hasn't elaborated on that), then you have a recipe for disaster and someone who's extremely unlikely to learn to make good decisions without independent, external help.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Starter Wiggin posted:

Benny, how is the library volunteering going?
The interview's tomorrow.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Lolie posted:

You also said that you'd consider the military if you'd exhausted all your other options. While the idea of the military employing you frightens the poo poo out of me, it's an idea which you should have at least revisited when you were still unemployed after a considerable period of time had passed.

But in all seriousness, it should be immediately obvious that there is something definitely wrong with Benny's executive functioning, and that things aren't going to change for him until he addresses that. A lovely childhood may be at play too, but I don't know enough to weigh in.

Also, this is really starting to feel like the Chris-Chan saga, in which a bunch of alpha neckbeards make fun of a beta neckbeard to feel better about themselves, and that the derision ultimately winds up being almost, if not in some ways more than, as creepy and obsessive as its target.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

benny the snake pulls out a sealed envelope dated jan 31, 2013. inside is a handwritten note reading 'in one year's time i will have made goons totally wig out and care post a bunch'. benny holds this up for all to read, hands the thread a thank you note and disappears forever.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
Benny's next story awaits judgment.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

franco posted:

It all makes so much sense now.

Jesus Christ and he even has nappy rash. Thank you for making me see something that cannot be unseen.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I'm not good enough of critiquing to give anything substantial that it should read as menthol cigarette, not mint-flavored.

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012

Maybe it's just me, but I dare say ol' Benny's getting better. Perhaps that's not saying much, but compare this to The Oracle and it's worlds apart.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Remember when everyone gave Benny all of the advice and effort posts from the past page a year ago and he ignored them then?

:allears: I'm glad it's happening again, it was my favorite part!

Edit:

If you don't quote and repost his story 50 times the ghost will come and skin you too

laplace fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 17, 2014

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

Fugue Stater posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I dare say ol' Benny's getting better. Perhaps that's not saying much, but compare this to The Oracle and it's worlds apart.

It's slightly better: I don't see it losing, although I don't see it as a strong contender for the victory either. Overall it's of acceptable quality but there are some serious clunkers and errors in here.

Let me go through the story line-by-line and find some things that bugged me. (This is not an exhaustive list.)

quote:

“Hey Chuy, what's-” Diego said before his jaw dropped. “What's that in your mouth?”

“It's a cigarette, pendejo. Wanna hit?” Jesús asked and handed it to him. “It tastes like mint.”

How could you not determine that by looking at it?

quote:

Diego pushed it away from him. “That's bad for you, Chuy!” “Chuy” was a common nickname for those named Jesús, based on how the “J” made an “h” sound.

This is obvious from context and doesn't really need an explicit mention in the narrative.

quote:

“I wonder if it's loaded,” Jesús wondered aloud as he stupidly pointed it at Diego and pulled the trigger.

Even the narrator realizes how stupid this development is.

quote:

An unseen presence from within with glowing eyes stared ahead and disappeared in the darkness.

If it's unseen, why do we get a visual description?

In general I'd say the piece is just pretty nondescript -- there's a lot of places where I feel like a better detail could have been inserted or the narrative could have taken a better direction, but there's not much point listing them because it's less the effect of each unsubstantial detail than the lack of any substantial details that's failing the piece here.

There's also a lot of typos -- "deigo sad," "with the image a skeleton lady," "Caution tape was wrapped around," and probably a few others.

Krotera fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 17, 2014

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I'd post advice for benny, but he wouldn't listen so I'll just leave this here instead

benny's story posted:

Man,
Christ,
Come on, guey;
Man,
Well,
Hey guey,
Look, man;
I mean,
Well,
Good,
Dude,
poo poo, man,
“Dude,
Chuy,
Mira,
Dude,
Hey,
Dude,
I mean, look,
I'm sorry,

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

crabrock posted:

I'd post advice for benny, but he wouldn't listen so I'll just leave this here instead

That didn't actually bother me all that much until I saw your post, looked at the story I'm working on now, and realized that in five pages of text, including substantial dialogue, I only ever have two "we are being totally casual now" openers, and at least one has actual meaning in context.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Benny the Snake posted:

What doesn't kill me will only make me stronger. Besides, I have to see this thread through and become a success. I want to be an E/N success story.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Krotera posted:

That didn't actually bother me all that much until I saw your post, looked at the story I'm working on now, and realized that in five pages of text, including substantial dialogue, I only ever have two "we are being totally casual now" openers, and at least one has actual meaning in context.

It's just a thing that screams "Beginning Writer" that most writers learn to phase out pretty quickly. I'd give Benny a lecture on why, but honestly we've covered the topic several times in the Fiction Advice thread in Creative Convention, which I assume he reads because he wants to be a writer.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Krotera posted:

This is obvious from context and doesn't really need an explicit mention in the narrative.
"Chuy" isn't a common nickname outside Mexicans like myself so I decided to put that in there because of that.

Perfidia
Nov 25, 2007
It's a fact!

Lolie posted:

I'm not from the US so I'm not sure about this, but isn't there a deadline approaching for Obamacare? If there is, you need to make signing up a high priority Benny.

Benny sent a thank-you card c/o Obamacare but never got a callback :(

Fugue Stater
Oct 17, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

"Chuy" isn't a common nickname outside Mexicans like myself so I decided to put that in there because of that.

I think the greater issue with that line is that it interrupts the flow of the dialogue for a clunky bit of exposition. We can reasonably infer that Chuy is either a nickname or just some slang or Mexican term friends might use with each other. We don't have to know exactly what it means, as long as it's not altering the established vibe between the two characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Surely the biggest issue is the brief was "a ghost story where the living person didn't know the ghost when it was alive"?

• Locked thread