Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

"I love Legacy. Everyone sitting around playing 4 brainstorms like that's normal, playing other people playing 4 brainstorms. Hey,everyone wanna come over to my house, watch some TV, and fire automatic guns into the ceiling? Then everyone brings 4."

Why doesn't Chapin commentate every Open, again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Elysiume posted:

Magiccards.info is infinitely better than Gatherer for quick checks anyway. It's way faster.

I've honestly never understood why anyone uses any card database other than magiccards.info, especially for quick checks. It's the best around by orders of magnitude and compared to freaking Gatherer, I mean come on.

Boxman posted:

"I love Legacy. Everyone sitting around playing 4 brainstorms like that's normal, playing other people playing 4 brainstorms. Hey,everyone wanna come over to my house, watch some TV, and fire automatic guns into the ceiling? Then everyone brings 4."

I'm worried that I love listening to him so much that now I don't want to see him play anymore when he could be in the booth instead. He's a godsend for commentary.

edit: also, brimaz in legacy? this here open!

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Boxman posted:

"Brimaz reminds me of Freddie Mercury." Cat Queen!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mulletstation posted:

http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/deck_tech_basic_blue_with_henr.html

4x Counterspell

It's like it's 1999 and I'm watching Randy Buehler play, and loving it.

He must have seen the last couple pages because his arms are covered now :tinfoil:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Boxman posted:

I love it when his flavor commentary involves guns. There was one earlier talking about how one of the players was just firing off burn spells, alternating creatures/his opponent at random, like tying a jump rope to the trigger of a gun, and just spinning it around above your head firing at everyone.

He really does need to cast every SCG event.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
"Badland is like the Scrubland of Legacy" loving love Chapin

edit: i know i'm really late on this since it's a replay, but watching the aluren player like walk the jund player through how he's able to fight through that punishing fire is just so amusing to watch. 'yes, you see, i do this, this, and this, pay life, you see? and then this in response...are you following? yes, and, now you're hosed, lol'. watching it done just in the context of the tops of their hands motioning and pointing while knowing exactly what each side of the table is saying/thinking just makes it even more entertaining.

MiddleEastBeast fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 17, 2014

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The Forge experience:
Computer on the play. Mishra's Workshop, mox jet, mox sapphire, Frogmite, Cranial Plating.
Me: Tundra, go.
Comp: Ancient Tomb, Mox Ruby, Master of Etherium, Etched Champion, plating to frogmite, hail Satan.
Me: Island, Brainstorm.
Comp: Darksteel Citadel, another master, another champion, curse God and die.
Me: :negative:

I'm now playing a half-built legacy burn deck, and slowly assembling the pieces for tendrils and manaless dredge. Not sure where to get Ichorids, though. I see where to get Scourge and Modern Masters, but I don't remember seeing anything from the Odyssey block.

The money grind is a pain in the rear end, too.

Nemico
Sep 23, 2006

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I've honestly never understood why anyone uses any card database other than magiccards.info, especially for quick checks. It's the best around by orders of magnitude and compared to freaking Gatherer, I mean come on.

I'm usually checking for cards on a laptop and selecting card sets from the list with ctrl+click and shift+click isn't always so easy on my trackpad, and I run into this a lot:

magiccards.info posted:

You [sic] query returned more than 3000 cards. Only a (random) part is shown.

which I don't like at all, and Gatherer's full-card view is single page as opposed to click-through.

It loads heck-of faster, though!

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ragnar34 posted:

I just realized you can edit the difficulty to keep you on easy. Changing it will retro-actively dump you from medium back into easy. Just change "Wins for Medium AI", Hard, Expert to 100.

I also messed wtih the booster pack ratios, but it didn't affect the booster pack rewards.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
edit: Nevermind.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nemico posted:

Gatherer's full-card view is single page as opposed to click-through.

This is the main reason I use gatherer, it's not the 90's any longer, we don't need to account for 50k modems anymore.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Philippe Monlevade takes down GP Buenos Aires with Jund Monsters. 1 Vraska and 3 Xenagos Planeswalkers in the main deck, little bit lighter on main deck kill spells. Only 1 Rampager which is a bit strange since it can often be used as a removal spell. He beat PVD's Esper Control in the semi-finals and Mono Blue in the Finals so he certainly didn't have a cakewalk.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Well, just bought Common/Uncommon playsets for RTR, M14, Theros and Gatecrash. Going to be a very long week or so at work while I wait for all these suckers to arrive. Can't wait to build some janky rear end peasant deck and get back into MTG :toot:

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Chapin talking about prison rules.

Muahaha.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
More Chapin "I've got 3 military push up bet with you that Sneak and Show wins vs D&T. I mean 3 prison push ups."

If Twitter is correct Aluren just sold out on SCG. Jesus loving christ people.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Korak posted:

Philippe Monlevade takes down GP Buenos Aires with Jund Monsters. 1 Vraska and 3 Xenagos Planeswalkers in the main deck, little bit lighter on main deck kill spells. Only 1 Rampager which is a bit strange since it can often be used as a removal spell. He beat PVD's Esper Control in the semi-finals and Mono Blue in the Finals so he certainly didn't have a cakewalk.

I'm really digging those goggles.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Korak posted:

More Chapin "I've got 3 military push up bet with you that Sneak and Show wins vs D&T. I mean 3 prison push ups."

If Twitter is correct Aluren just sold out on SCG. Jesus loving christ people.

It wouldn't be the first time. Aluren is the prototypical spec target that never really pays off. Maybe if there's new tech then this time will be different.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010

Promoted Pawn posted:

It wouldn't be the first time. Aluren is the prototypical spec target that never really pays off. Maybe if there's new tech then this time will be different.

Aluren is in stock SCG. Laughing that nobody here mentioned promo Recruiter just rose like 50%.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Saeku posted:

Aluren is in stock SCG. Laughing that nobody here mentioned promo Recruiter just rose like 50%.

Eh, I've been sick this weekend and not really paying attention to much of anything.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Devor posted:

I just realized you can edit the difficulty to keep you on easy. Changing it will retro-actively dump you from medium back into easy. Just change "Wins for Medium AI", Hard, Expert to 100.

I also messed wtih the booster pack ratios, but it didn't affect the booster pack rewards.

Oh poo poo yes. I just doubled all the money rewards and it's moving along a bit more now, though I get the feeling I might need to raise it again. I mean, it costs 5,000 to unlock a new set, and I get 200 or so for winning a three-game match with a burn deck, and there are probably like 10 sets to unlock, so :v:

Hard decks are fine for now though. Easy and medium were both pretty easy, considering the fact that the AI has no idea how to play. Actually, the Forge AI is making me appreciate the Duels of the Planeswalkers AI a lot more. Stainless may have programmed a buggy game, but the AI is impressive.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Ragnar34 posted:

The Forge experience:
Computer on the play. Mishra's Workshop, mox jet, mox sapphire, Frogmite, Cranial Plating.
Me: Tundra, go.
Comp: Ancient Tomb, Mox Ruby, Master of Etherium, Etched Champion, plating to frogmite, hail Satan.
Me: Island, Brainstorm.
Comp: Darksteel Citadel, another master, another champion, curse God and die.
Me: :negative:

I'm now playing a half-built legacy burn deck, and slowly assembling the pieces for tendrils and manaless dredge. Not sure where to get Ichorids, though. I see where to get Scourge and Modern Masters, but I don't remember seeing anything from the Odyssey block.

I just decided to start in Theros and grab myself a set of Grey Merchants and a monoblack deck. From there, it's been a slow building of just spew out cards for black devotion and going fast. It's not a great deck, but the game isn't exactly hard enough to warrant going full on vintage to make a deck work.

Also, Necropotence is fantastic for devotion.

edit: Also, do yourself a favor and go to quest preferences. Up the victory money for everything.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 17, 2014

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Nemico posted:

I'm usually checking for cards on a laptop and selecting card sets from the list with ctrl+click and shift+click isn't always so easy on my trackpad, and I run into this a lot:

which I don't like at all, and Gatherer's full-card view is single page as opposed to click-through.

It loads heck-of faster, though!

If you're looking at 3,000 cards or more you probably should tighten the scope of your search anyways.

I love magiccards.info because it has a text-based oracle system. You can search format, oracle text, color, special qualities, types, rarity, set, and or-conditional searches all from the text box. It saves a lot of time when I can just type in what I want to search instead of filling out a form.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Korak posted:

Haha GFab drafted his WR 13-15 land deck? This poo poo is over, wrap it up.

17 lands actually. With a double Celestial Archon and an Ornitharch, not a wonder.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ramos posted:

I just decided to start in Theros and grab myself a set of Grey Merchants and a monoblack deck. From there, it's been a slow building of just spew out cards for black devotion and going fast. It's not a great deck, but the game isn't exactly hard enough to warrant going full on vintage to make a deck work.

Also, Necropotence is fantastic for devotion.

edit: Also, do yourself a favor and go to quest preferences. Up the victory money for everything.

A couple hours ago the computer 0-2'd me with turn 5 kiki-jiki/plinter twin combos, and, a little before that, with goblin bombardment, melira and a persist creature. I was perfectly happy with my UB tricks n' unblockables deck, but no, the AI wanted to have an arms race.

What I'm saying is, they started it. :colbert:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

morning wood posted:

I need some deck advice once again. I'm playing the below deck and was thinking about removing 2 Satyr Firedancer, 1 Fanatic of Mogis, and 1 Chandra's Phoenix so that 1 can add 4 Firefist Striker. Someone else told me to cut the 4 Boros Reckoner but I feel like he is too strong to remove. Any input would be appreciated.

Creatures (30)
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Foundry Street Denizen
4 Rakdos Cackler
2 Satyr Firedancer

Spells (10)
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Shock

Lands (20)
20 Mountain

Sideboard (14)
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
4 Searing Blood
4 Skullcrack
4 Mizzium Mortars

I know it's a page back, but I'd go -4 Foundry Street Denizens, +4 Firefist Strikers, -2 Satyr Firedancers, main deck 2 skullcrack, and +1 Hammer of Purphoros, +2 Sideboard Hammer of purphoros, -2 Searing Blood, +3 Anger of the Gods.

Here's what you'll end up with:

Creatures (28)
4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Chandra's Phoenix
4 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Firefist Striker
4 Rakdos Cackler

Spells (12)
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
2 Shock
2 Skullcrack

Enchantments (1)
1 Hammer of Purphoros

Lands (21)
21 Mountain

Sideboard (15)
2 Chandra, Pyromaster
2 Searing Blood
2 Skullcrack
4 Mizzium Mortars
2 Hammer of Purphoros
3 Anger of the Gods

If you have them, run 3 mutavaults instead of mountains, too. They are value after you have to cast Anger of the Gods, or for two extra damage if the board is fairly clear.

Alternately, you can run 4 Firedancers instead of ash zealots, as the zealots play badly with BTEs.

Never run your cacklers unleashed. With this deck, you should be swinging every turn, never holding back, and only casting instants or sorceries on your opponents' turn.

I like to throw in a gore-house chainwalker, as the difference between running 60 or 61 cards is basically nil, RE: Manascrew.

Hammers are obvious to include, yes, but for more than just haste: they're devotion towards a Fanatic, as well.

My best play with this deck ever was on the draw, t1: Cackler unleashed, t2: BTE-BTE-BTE-Firefist Striker, swing Cackler for 2, T3: Reckoner, swing all for 10, T4: Fanatic of Mogis for 12 damage and the win.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I tried editing Quest Preferences in Forge but it never seems to save them.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
My problem with forge was that when i started i didn't realize you had to actually download price data, so for a bit i sold all my uncommons and then bought a black lotus and three moxen for it, because each of them was just priced the same as any other rare.

Then i found out that i hadn't downloaded price data, and things suddenly made a lot more sense.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
I bought three DGM packs on a whim from Target today.
First pack, Legion's Initiative. Pretty cool.
Second pack, Render Silent, foil Scion of Vitu-Ghazi. Bonus, always fun.
Third pack, Boros Battleshaper, foil Tajic, Blade of the Legion, and Maze's End. :stare:

Hitting the random jackpot's pretty nice even if none of those are really worth getting excited about. Although the Maze's End makes for my third, so I might as well get a 4th somewhere and slap the deck together.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

a dozen swans posted:

My problem with forge was that when i started i didn't realize you had to actually download price data, so for a bit i sold all my uncommons and then bought a black lotus and three moxen for it, because each of them was just priced the same as any other rare.

Then i found out that i hadn't downloaded price data, and things suddenly made a lot more sense.

O h wow, I'd never seen that option. No wonder a mox pearl for 120 credits was such a steal :v: Slightly worried how this affects the difficulty when I'm already having trouble winning against hard decks.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
This is probably dumb, and nerdy but is there any places that sell MTG wall art? I'd love to get a black framed "Damnation" piece and throw it in on my dining room wall.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
I think normally you would get these from the artist directly; they'll sometimes have a website where you can buy prints of their art, but it doesn't look like Kev Walker does.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

This is probably dumb, and nerdy but is there any places that sell MTG wall art? I'd love to get a black framed "Damnation" piece and throw it in on my dining room wall.

Generally you are going to look up the artist, find their website. They artists themselves generally sell prints. There is of course no guarantee they have a print of the card you want. Kev Walker, the artist for Damnation does not appear to like the internet, or money. I did a little googling for you, and the only thing I found other than other people on other forums going "where can i buy a print of his?" is his facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/kev.walker.397 he doesn't appear to have a website, deviantart, or any kind of public social media interfacing thing. Good luck, I suspect the answer is, no such prints exist. If you really want it you're probably going to have to find the highest res image you can and get it printed yourself.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

redstormpopcorn posted:

I bought three DGM packs on a whim from Target today.
First pack, Legion's Initiative. Pretty cool.
Second pack, Render Silent, foil Scion of Vitu-Ghazi. Bonus, always fun.
Third pack, Boros Battleshaper, foil Tajic, Blade of the Legion, and Maze's End. :stare:

Hitting the random jackpot's pretty nice even if none of those are really worth getting excited about. Although the Maze's End makes for my third, so I might as well get a 4th somewhere and slap the deck together.
I'm kind of disappointed no one has bothered using Tajic in 4 mutavault deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Korak posted:

I'm kind of disappointed no one has bothered using Tajic in 4 mutavault deck.

Its a conditional 7/7 indestructible on turn 5 that gets chumped harder than Polukranos.

He isn't really that good, and I wish he was. :sigh:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
On the other hand he himself is the champion chumper, being indestructible and all.
But yeah, I tried running him as a 2-of in my dumb Boros Control deck with Assemble the Legions and even there he wasn't pulling his weight.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I dont' think Reckoner is well-placed when the most relevant fatty killing you is often Stormbreath Dragon in the deck that can't easily kill Reckoner.

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
15 dollar draft, everyone gets 1 pack no matter what for a prize, and they split a box for top 4. Average number of players is 10. Does this sound much better then normal?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Nissir posted:

15 dollar draft, everyone gets 1 pack no matter what for a prize, and they split a box for top 4. Average number of players is 10. Does this sound much better then normal?

It sounded better than average until you said "split a box for top 4" and "average players is 10"

Then it's a goldmine.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nissir posted:

In terms of prize support + entry, it's $150 buy-in for about 66 packs, which isn't bad. However, 10 people is probably one of the worst numbers for drafting ever :v:.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Quick question:

Does anybody know of a good bot to sell to for MTGO cards? I want to build BW Bestow and have a bunch bots trying to give me 4 bucks for my Mox Diamond.

• Locked thread