Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

quote:

Six Egyptian soldiers have been killed by gunmen at a checkpoint in the northern Cairo suburb of Shubra al-Khayma, state media reports.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-26591463

This is the largest attack I can remember since the summer, not counting violence in the Sinai. Quite a big deal for Cairo.

5 car bombings in Iraq today, killing 21. Pretty normal.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/03/baghdad-bombing-attacks-kill-dozens-201431518432019727.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Huttan posted:

The "peace movement" didn't gain traction until the IRA firebombed what we in the US would call a "sweet 16 party" - incinerating over 60 teenage girls because the father was at the top of the RUC (the Royal Ulster Constabulary was a paramilitary pro-Union group).

Do you have a source for this bombing? First I've heard of it.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

Do you have a source for this bombing? First I've heard of it.

I think he's describing the La Mon Bombing, some of the details aren't the same but there was a lot of confusion in the aftermath with a lot of the victims being misidentified as teenagers due to the severity of their burns. Photos were circulated after the bombing and I've seen copies of the poster he's describing - :nms: Here's a version of it covered in watermarks for some reason :nms:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I figured that that was what he was referring to and it's obviously horrible, but it doesn't really fit the description of '60 teenaged girls incinerated during a party because their father was the head of the RUC'.

edit: and the RUC wasn't a paramilitary group, it was the official Northern Ireland police, even if it did regularly collude with loyalist paramilitaries. I'm not calling Huttan out or anything, that part of his post just struck me as odd.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 16, 2014

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Phlegmish posted:

I figured that that was what he was referring to and it's obviously horrible, but it doesn't really fit the description of '60 teenaged girls incinerated during a party because their father was the head of the RUC'.

edit: and the RUC wasn't a paramilitary group, it was the official Northern Ireland police, even if it did regularly collude with loyalist paramilitaries. I'm not calling Huttan out or anything, that part of his post just struck me as odd.

The British often added/omitted/altered details to media reports in order to suit their own anti-IRA propaganda campaigns so you tend to get very scattered and apocryphal information about a lot of events.

Huttan's description is odd because it reads along very similar themes that you would expect from Pro-British sources, but it also labels the RUC as paramilitaries, which is a description, however appropriate one deems it, that would never be used in the British media/govt.

fakedit: pre-emptive declaration that this certainly went both ways. IRA propaganda, however, tended to focus a bit less of disinfo campaigns and more on deifying martyrs (e.g. Bobby Sands) and reinforcing themes of heroic/righteous struggle. You can see these differences if you look at the different narratives of the Provo/Loyalist building murals that are common throughout Northern Ireland and the border areas.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Huttan's description is odd because it reads along very similar themes that you would expect from Pro-British sources, but it also labels the RUC as paramilitaries, which is a description, however appropriate one deems it, that would never be used in the British media/govt.

I would assume that probably has to do with Huttan growing up amidst the Troubles and therefore his memory of the event would have been constructed/forgotten/remembered piecemeal as opposed to from a single source. Details are often shaky for memories like that, particularly for an old memory from childhood.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

New Division posted:

Erdogan just called the 15 year kid that just died and caused more riots a terrorist.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26594922

Classy guy.

Haha, holy poo poo. That's surely going to help.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
In Syria, Yabroud has fallen to the Syrian Army and Hezbolah.

http://m.aljazeera.com/se/20143167587954232

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Volcano rockets feature in their victory propaganda too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azc-DQU0PDI

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
Aaron Zelin posted some Jabhat al-Nursa membership cards on his twitter. What's funny is that some of the art is stolen from the video game Mount & Blade

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Considering how ISIS/JN vids seem to be a rip-off of Call of Duty loading screens and now this, it seems like that there's a considerable overlap between jihadists and gamers. Maybe Jack Thompson was right after all....

:tinfoil:

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Kaal posted:

I would assume that probably has to do with Huttan growing up amidst the Troubles and therefore his memory of the event would have been constructed/forgotten/remembered piecemeal as opposed to from a single source. Details are often shaky for memories like that, particularly for an old memory from childhood.

I think you're right. I remember things like Pope John Paul 1 (the one who lasted about a month before he was murdered by the cardinals died) saying basically "contraceptives are OK if used in moderation" and Ireland decriminalized possession of contraceptives before his death. One still needed a prescription for them, and only marriage counselors could prescribe them for having too many children. I can't find any corroboration of it on the internet, but that's burned into my memory due to some extreme family drama happening at the time.

That's the poster. I'll try to remember it correctly if there is a next time I bring it up.

I'm sorry for the IRA derail.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There was a new a years back of a village under Al-Nusra control that was a hub of video games and prostitution.

The mount n blade post cards don't shock me.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Navy SEALS retake North Korean-flagged Morning Glory at the behest of the Libyan and Cypriot governments, currently sailing it back to Libya.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MothraAttack posted:

Navy SEALS retake North Korean-flagged Morning Glory at the behest of the Libyan and Cypriot governments, currently sailing it back to Libya.

Da gently caress?

:pirate:

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
To be fair NK revoked its license last week and it had gone rogue.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MothraAttack posted:

Where are you getting all of this? I can't find any of it.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
ABC News Twitter, heh.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, so she weren't no merchant vessel after all. A fair mark, she was.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Volkerball posted:

Ah, so she weren't no merchant vessel after all. A fair mark, she was.

Aharr, matey. :pirate:

Libya's a weird place. It seems to me to be so seriously disunified that a 'serious' Syria style ethic-religious civil war seems out of the question, if only because no one can pick an enemy that they hate more than the others, and there's just no threat big enough to get the little groups to lump together and go on a good cleansing.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
Seemingly right on cue, a car bomb exploded in Benghazi killing at least 5 soldiers today.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2014/03/libya-army-camp-blast-2014317111142983333.html

It's nice that the Libyan government can lean on the U.S. to try and prop itself up, but this is going to inflame tensions in Eastern Libya more than ever.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Miruvor posted:

Seemingly right on cue, a car bomb exploded in Benghazi killing at least 5 soldiers today.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2014/03/libya-army-camp-blast-2014317111142983333.html

It's nice that the Libyan government can lean on the U.S. to try and prop itself up, but this is going to inflame tensions in Eastern Libya more than ever.

It's really sad that I saw the word "Benghazi" and just rolled my eyes and ignored the rest of that post, because it seems like poo poo is going down there and I have no idea what.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I remember when I had never heard of Benghazi.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

If anyone cares, here's a neat paper about the situation in Turkey by the Bipartisan Policy Center, penned by two former US ambassadors to Turkey:

http://bipartisanpolicy.org/sites/default/files/Turkey%20Elections%20Report.pdf

Anyway, here's the money quote:

quote:

For the United States, Turkey’s current trajectory is highly worrisome. The more authoritarian and Islamist Turkey becomes under Erdoğan, the less reliable and stable an ally it will be for the United States. Indeed, the longer Erdoğan remains in power, the greater the risk becomes of the already fragile Turkish-American alliance — based, as it is, in the shared desire and respect for a “way of life... based upon the will of the majority,and... distinguished by free institutions, representative government, free elections, guarantees of individual liberty, freedom of speech and religion, and freedom from political oppression” — being fully eroded. In other words, the U.S. relationship with Turkey could begin to more closely resemble that with Saudi Arabia or Pakistan, large Middle Eastern powers influenced by political Islam with which the United States can do business whenever interests align, but with which it lacks the shared values that underpins a true alliance.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

MothraAttack posted:

What does going rogue actually mean here? North Korea sent the tanker there? And now the crew is... doing their own thing?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Count Roland posted:

What does going rogue actually mean here? North Korea sent the tanker there? And now the crew is... doing their own thing?

Navy Seals board rogue Libya oil tanker Morning Glory

quote:

The US has taken control of a tanker full of oil loaded from a rebel-held port in Libya, the Pentagon says.

The raid by Navy Seals took place in international waters south of Cyprus, said spokesman Rear Adm John Kirby.

The Morning Glory's evasion of a naval blockade at the eastern port of Sidra prompted Libya's parliament to sack Prime Minister Ali Zeidan last week.

It was done with at the request of both the Cyprus and Libya governments.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
There's a quiet, but apparently quite strong concern about the possibilities of terrorists deciding to use a fully loaded oil tanker as a weapon.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

The-Mole posted:

There's a quiet, but apparently quite strong concern about the possibilities of terrorists deciding to use a fully loaded oil tanker as a weapon.

It does have the potential for one hell of an expensive clean up if you dumped the oil overboard in the right fishery or coastline.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've always been curious about what would happen if a full oil tanker was scuttled in the Suez.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

The-Mole posted:

Splinter Cell Blacklist did it first.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

Navy Seals board rogue Libya oil tanker Morning Glory

It was done with at the request of both the Cyprus and Libya governments.

I'm just wondering who is on board the tanker, and who organized and paid for the idea in the first place.

Miruvor
Jan 19, 2007
Pillbug
The ship was apparently registered to an Egyptian firm? I doubt it's terrorism-related, but the oil was sold 'illegally', and Libya desperately needs to look like it's got its act together.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trfEc5VN-9I

This just got posted in GBS don't know if its new or real or not.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah that was discussed some days ago. Turns out they're not US citizens but did live in LA for a time.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MothraAttack posted:

Yeah that was discussed some days ago. Turns out they're not US citizens but did live in LA for a time.

IIRC, their Armenians or descended from another Caucasus country and not Latinos. They're supposedly gangbangers, however, so I guess that's partially correct.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 18, 2014

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

visceril posted:

It's really sad that I saw the word "Benghazi" and just rolled my eyes and ignored the rest of that post, because it seems like poo poo is going down there and I have no idea what.

I can rehash an effort post on the East/West divide in Libya if you want.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

the JJ posted:

I can rehash an effort post on the East/West divide in Libya if you want.

That would be nice, I think, to get an update on the situation. I follow this thread but honestly don't know what's been happening there since Qaddafi's corpse got molested.

BabyChoom
Jan 7, 2014

by XyloJW

Miltank posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trfEc5VN-9I

This just got posted in GBS don't know if its new or real or not.

yeah that was debunked and MEMRI is a neocon zionist propaganda outlet. Congrats on being fooled by a propaganda front for Israel.

BabyChoom fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 18, 2014

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Miltank posted:

This just got posted in GBS

Oh, well, there's your problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

Oh, well, there's your problem.

It was posted here too, possibly in advance at that.

So they were just random dudes talking poo poo, or what? I hadn't seen the memri branded copy before.

• Locked thread