Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Error 404 posted:

And at least one more vampire court.

Butcher has actually stated that there are 7 major courts pre-Changes, but that Jade and the other 3 courts have nowhere near the numbers and clout as Red, White, and Black. I'd find the quote if I weren't posting from a smartphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

treeboy posted:

pretty sure that's about right, though I think Harry physically appears more late 20's to mid 30's

Also despite his hard lifestyle i bet he probably has fewer wrinkles/scars due to his healing factor which would contribute to an overall more "youthful" age even in comparison to younger normal humans.

It's kinda hard to tell how wizards age as far as their appearance. The Merlin is crazy old and looks it, but still seems pretty spry. Same with McCoy who in my head i picture as a man in his early to mid 60's despite being 200+(?) years old.

Ehhh whenever harry describes himself it doesn't sound plesant

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Exmond posted:

Ehhh whenever harry describes himself it doesn't sound plesant

It's because he has no self-esteem. He sees himself in the worst possible light more often than not.

The few times we've seen him from someone else's point of view, he's this terrifying force of destruction.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ConfusedUs posted:

The few times we've seen him from someone else's point of view, he's this terrifying force of destruction.

And shy, quiet, and spergy.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 14, 2014

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!
I honestly wasn't sure what to think of Harry until I read the POVs of other characters. I always felt like he was more of a geek than anything else, I hadn't realized what he would really seem like to other people because of all of his quirks. I wonder how other wizards view him, because I imagine a lot of the seemingly odd things he does are pretty normal for most wizards.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

why oh WHY posted:

I wonder how other wizards view him

"That young upstart who can't even speak proper Latin." - The Merlin

"THE BUILDING IS ON FIRE AND IT WAS ABSOLUTELY HIS FAULT." - Donald Morgan

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Harry's pretty goony. Shame he can't use a computer. :v:

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Tunicate posted:

He's the big summer wyldfae, so he's the Summer King. Not part of the court, but considered Summer enough to show up at family reunions without anyone fighting over who's got control over domains and stuff.

What book are you pulling that from, because I totally missed it. I'm in the middle of Small Favor in this reread and so far he hasn't been described as Summer at all.

Also, wasn't he also present when Harry met Santa/Odin after getting knighted?

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

docbeard posted:

"That young upstart who can't even speak proper Latin." - The Merlin

"THE BUILDING IS ON FIRE AND IT WAS ABSOLUTELY HIS FAULT." - Donald Morgan

God I miss Morgan. Not old Morgan from Storm Front but from Turn Coat where he was actually cool.

I just looked at the cover for Skin Game and holy poo poo Harry has his revolver again.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

It's because he has no self-esteem. He sees himself in the worst possible light more often than not.

The bit that brought that home for me was "How many things do you think stayed away from Chicago because that's the home of the Mad Wizard Dresden?" and he never realised that was how he was seen.

I mean, whenever something bad comes to Chicago, he blows it the gently caress up, rips it to pieces, starts a war with its friends, and will not stay beaten no matter how much he's actually been beaten until the threat is gone. He insults things that could crush him like and ant and doesn't care. He knocks buildings down and walks away laughing. Then he goes back to his basement apartment and worries about how he's not very good at stuff, doesn't know very much about anything, and how his apprentice might be insane.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

AlphaDog posted:

The bit that brought that home for me was "How many things do you think stayed away from Chicago because that's the home of the Mad Wizard Dresden?" and he never realised that was how he was seen.

I mean, whenever something bad comes to Chicago, he blows it the gently caress up, rips it to pieces, starts a war with its friends, and will not stay beaten no matter how much he's actually been beaten until the threat is gone. He insults things that could crush him like and ant and doesn't care. He knocks buildings down and walks away laughing. Then he goes back to his basement apartment and worries about how he's not very good at stuff, doesn't know very much about anything, and how his apprentice might be insane.

I honestly think that whole little bit might be one of my favorite worldbuilding parts of the whole series. A simple, in universe reminder that Harry Dresden is not only an unreliable narrator, but to the whole rest of the universe he's the equivalent of hitting on 20. You lose. Doesn't matter what you draw, you will lose, he will call you a moron, and then he will shuffle off and eat a whopper.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

AlphaDog posted:

Didn't you hear? His apprentice is the loving Rag Lady!
Do Not, I repeat Do...Not...gently caress with Chicago.

Like yeah, when you lay it all out, Mad Wizard doesn't even cover a fraction of it. Now imagine how much good could be done if somebody that hardcore was put in charge of the Wardens of the Council?

Like seriously, Apathy is Death should be the 8th Law of Magic or something. Even wizards with less power but with a willingness to be flexible have been shown to steamroll when necessary (Elaine, Ramirez, Molly)

Hell Molly held off Corpsetaker, solo.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 14, 2014

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AlphaDog posted:

Yeah, it's the overkill that really cements his reputation. If he just put things down he'd be considered dangerous, but he never stops at simply winning.

I hope that Harry eventually realizes what a badass he is and goes nuclear on purpose...just so we can deal with the fallout when he realizes exactly what that entails.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

I hope that Harry eventually realizes what a badass he is and goes nuclear on purpose...just so we can deal with the fallout when he realizes exactly what that entails.

Yeah, maybe he could finish the war with the Red Court or something.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Log082 posted:

Yeah, maybe he could finish the war with the Red Court or something.

Yeah, we kind of already got the nuclear option and subsequent fallout, and it was awesome. There's still an absolute shitload of things to be dealt with that came up because of Changes.

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, it's the overkill that really cements his reputation.

This I totally agree with.

Error 404 posted:

Like yeah, when you lay it all out, Mad Wizard doesn't even cover a fraction of it. Now imagine how much good could be done if somebody that hardcore was put in charge of the Wardens of the Council?

How much good? I guess if you define "good" as the the killing of everything you consider evil, then yeah, he'd do lots of that. But it's because of that that I think he'd make a terrible large-scale leader.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 14, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm really looking forward to seeing Harry go to town on the Fomor in Chicago.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
Is it bad that Nicodemus is one of my favorite characters? I mean, I'd never root for the guy, but goddamn do I love every moment that evil sonofamother is on-page. :allears:

treeboy posted:

pretty sure that's about right, though I think Harry physically appears more late 20's to mid 30's

Also despite his hard lifestyle i bet he probably has fewer wrinkles/scars due to his healing factor which would contribute to an overall more "youthful" age even in comparison to younger normal humans.

It's kinda hard to tell how wizards age as far as their appearance. The Merlin is crazy old and looks it, but still seems pretty spry. Same with McCoy who in my head i picture as a man in his early to mid 60's despite being 200+(?) years old.

That's actually an interesting question on the wizardly healing factor - at least circa Small Favor, Harry still has a bullet scar from the hexenwulves in Fool Moon.

Screen Door Slams fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 15, 2014

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

AlphaDog posted:

How much good? I guess if you define "good" as the the killing of everything you consider evil, then yeah, he'd do lots of that. But it's because of that that I think he'd make a terrible large-scale leader.

Well yeah, he'd be an awful Leader leader. I guess my thinking is more like a teacher or drill instructor, turn the wardens into detective/soldiers with magic who can think on their feet, not combat wizards who try to solve crimes. Basically I see him doing well tactically (see leading the Wild loving Hunt against Sharkface and the Outsiders in Cold Days) but leaving the broader strategic stuff to others like McCoy, or Luccio.

Tl:dr, I think turning the Wardens into mini-dresdens would be a net gain for humanity across the world.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Error 404 posted:

Well yeah, he'd be an awful Leader leader. I guess my thinking is more like a teacher or drill instructor, turn the wardens into detective/soldiers with magic who can think on their feet, not combat wizards who try to solve crimes. Basically I see him doing well tactically (see leading the Wild loving Hunt against Sharkface and the Outsiders in Cold Days) but leaving the broader strategic stuff to others like McCoy, or Luccio.

But I thought he relinquished control of the wild hunt so it could fight the outsiders properly, while he was leading it wasn't that effective

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ika posted:

But I thought he relinquished control of the wild hunt so it could fight the outsiders properly, while he was leading it wasn't that effective

It's entirely possible I'm misremembering how that scene went down. :eng99:
but I could also make the same point by referencing his leading of the wolves and little folk in Summer Knight, The Blampires in Death Masks, Arctis Tor in Proven Guilty, the plan on Demonreach in Small Favor, the fight on Demonreach in Turn Coat, The various team based actions in Changes (the fact that he needed further help or poo poo went bad in those scenes doesn't mean he wasn't also an otherwise effective leader)

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

There's an official Dresden Files LARP ruleset in the works by the same guys who did the Dresden Files RPG.

http://www.evilhat.com/home/dresden-lives/

Motherfuckers. Turning unsuspecting civilians into LARPers against their will

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

ConfusedUs posted:

You mean like the entire point of Ghost Story?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Screen Door Slams posted:

Is it bad that Nicodemus is one of my favorite characters? I mean, I'd never root for the guy, but goddamn do I love every moment that evil sonofamother is on-page. :allears:

nah, there is no problem with loving a well written but evil character. Like Glotka or Bayez from the First Law series

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Or Crowley from Supernatural. :allears:

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Vicissitude posted:

Or Crowley from Supernatural. :allears:

He'd make a fun Nicodemus.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, it's the overkill that really cements his reputation. If he just put things down he'd be considered dangerous, but he never stops at simply winning.

It's that and a number of other things. I found this on the Butcher forums and think it's an excellent summary of just how scary Harry is to the rest of the Dresden-verse, in the form of what the Wardens file on him might read like. (Serious spoilers in link up through and including COLD DAYS!)

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php?topic=19774.0

Nevhix fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 17, 2014

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Hixalot posted:

It's that and a number of other things. I found this on the Butcher forums and think it's an excellent summary of just how scary Harry is to the rest of the Dresden-verse, in the form of what the Wardens file on him might read like. (Serious spoilers in link up through and including COLD DAYS!)

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php?topic=19774.0

Oh nice! This used to be in the OP but I forgot to save the link. Glad to see it got updated.

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...

Boofchicken posted:

Our of curiosity, where are we at with ages on everyone in the books as of now?

I was putting both Harry and Murphy in their early 40's now. Michael in his late 40's, early fifties. Molly is mid twenties, the Alphas are all late twenties, early thirties and I think Thomas in his late forties.

Hard to keep up with it all since they never really outright state some of their ages, but I have always wondered.

I'm not 100% sure about the others, but I counted up the years on Murphy a while back and she's about 50 now (give or take a year). Aside from Michael who's retired from the action, the rest can mostly write off age stuff because of :magic:. I think Butcher's going to have to do something with Murph to keep her relevant (or kill her off). She might be a bad-rear end, but it's going to be odd in the Apocalypse trilogy to read about Murphy in her 60s fighting outsiders/immortals/gibbering horrors when most people her age are collecting pensions.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

DrFrankenStrudel posted:

I'm not 100% sure about the others, but I counted up the years on Murphy a while back and she's about 50 now (give or take a year). Aside from Michael who's retired from the action, the rest can mostly write off age stuff because of :magic:. I think Butcher's going to have to do something with Murph to keep her relevant (or kill her off). She might be a bad-rear end, but it's going to be odd in the Apocalypse trilogy to read about Murphy in her 60s fighting outsiders/immortals/gibbering horrors when most people her age are collecting pensions.

It's been brought up several times in this thread that something needs to be done about Murphy - she doesn't really fit in with the series anymore. She needs some kind of character development to make her relevant, which at this point seems most likely to be a crisis of faith culminating in her taking up one of the swords. Which would also make her age pretty much irrelevant, if Shiro is anything to go by.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

DrFrankenStrudel posted:

I think you are off by over half a decade there.

In Summer Knight, her ex husband dies of cancer. He's 43. Dresden estimates that he was ten years older than her.

That puts Murphy at 33 in Summer Knight, 6 years older than Harry.

Harry will be 37-38 in Skin Job. That puts Murphy at around 43-44.

We're at book 14/25. So she'll be 55ish in the final book. Sure that's no spring chicken, but with her lifestyle she'll still be able to kick rear end far more than the average mortal. I'm pretty sure she'll end up with a sword, which will help immensely, but she doesn't need some sort of aging-suspension to stay relevant.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Masonity posted:

In Summer Knight, her ex husband dies of cancer. He's 43. Dresden estimates that he was ten years older than her.

We're at book 14/25. So she'll be 55ish in the final book. Sure that's no spring chicken, but with her lifestyle she'll still be able to kick rear end far more than the average mortal. I'm pretty sure she'll end up with a sword, which will help immensely, but she doesn't need some sort of aging-suspension to stay relevant.
In addition, considering Shiro's age, it's a bit unfair to say 60 year old Murphy would be too old.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I kind of hope she is that old and the only thing that happens is she gets with Dresden. Having an action fantasy series primary romantic interest be 60 would be awesome.

That mocked up warden's file on Dresden was great.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Wittgen posted:

I kind of hope she is that old and the only thing that happens is she gets with Dresden. Having an action fantasy series primary romantic interest be 60 would be awesome.

That mocked up warden's file on Dresden was great.

A friend of mine has a fan shipping theory that one of the Apocalyptic trilogy Hell's Bells is referring to wedding bells.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

ZorajitZorajit posted:

A friend of mine has a fan shipping theory that one of the Apocalyptic trilogy Hell's Bells is referring to wedding bells.

Harry getting married to Lash confirmed. :v:

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Scintilla posted:

Harry getting married to Lash confirmed. :v:

. . . now I really want to see what sort of Gordian Knot would be required for that to be the most Dresden way to solve it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Xtanstic posted:

Oh nice! This used to be in the OP but I forgot to save the link. Glad to see it got updated.

Putting this back in the OP.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ConfusedUs posted:

Putting this back in the OP.

What happened to the lil white doggy ? =(

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What happened to the lil white doggy ? =(

It met Mister and was never seen again.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I got to this part of the file:
He has had significant exposure to various members of the White Court and is believed to have been in a sexual relationship with the son of Lord Raith (Thomas Raith).

And laughed out loud. Its perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Masonity posted:

adding to this the fact that Murphy has been hanging around with Dresden for years, and it's pretty improbable at this point that being around one of the strongest wizards on the planet wouldn't have any effect after ~a decade and change

• Locked thread