Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Bullshit. You don't love Floki enough. :colbert:

Best angry Floki stare was when Rollo did the conversion to Christianity.

Floki is basically the best character in the whole show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Its pretty impactful when the vikings show small bits of humanity during their raids - Ragnar covering the child with a blanket to keep it out of sight for example. I also really like how the battle scenes are being filmed. Just enough shaky cam to make it seem chaotic and brutal but not enough to cause you to not be able to see what is actually going on. I normally hate shakycam bullshit but they've found a way to not make it annoying. The arrow shots looked really well done as well. It's a shame more people aren't watching this show because this season is pretty great.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Its pretty impactful when the vikings show small bits of humanity during their raids - Ragnar covering the child with a blanket to keep it out of sight for example. I also really like how the battle scenes are being filmed. Just enough shaky cam to make it seem chaotic and brutal but not enough to cause you to not be able to see what is actually going on. I normally hate shakycam bullshit but they've found a way to not make it annoying. The arrow shots looked really well done as well. It's a shame more people aren't watching this show because this season is pretty great.

I agree, I hope they keep it going for a few more seasons.

I like the scene where Ragnar covered up the child so the others wouldn't kill him or her. I think Ragnar is a great character and he's played well...Travis Fimmel adds another dimension to a character who is more complex than he seems at first. He of course is still a Viking, but he seems more humane than the rest--I don't imagine him doing what King Horik did to that one dude just out of nowhere (I think that dude was Ecbert's son?).

I was sort of taken aback, though, that he does nothing to stop the others when they have "gone too far." He is the earl and could probably have stopped them from killing anyone by just telling them not to, the child he covered up with a blanket being a good example of that. But of course King Horik is there and I guess technically has more authority, though I always kind of thought that he was just an earl called a king because he was from a different group of vikings.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 17, 2014

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
What I really liked about Ragnar is that he seemed more interested in learning about the culture of the people they were raiding, and the looks he gave the other Vikings were like he was kind of annoyed that all they cared about was treasure.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

life is killing me posted:

I like the scene where Ragnar covered up the child so the others wouldn't kill him or her. I think Ragnar is a great character and he's played well...Travis Fimmel adds another dimension to a character who is more complex than he seems at first. He of course is still a Viking, but he seems more humane than the rest--I don't imagine him doing what King Horik did to that one dude just out of nowhere (I think that dude was Ecbert's son?).

I was sort of taken aback, though, that he does nothing to stop the others when they have "gone too far." He is the earl and could probably have stopped them from killing anyone by just telling them not to, the child he covered up with a blanket being a good example of that. But of course King Horik is there and I guess technically has more authority, though I always kind of thought that he was just an earl called a king because he was from a different group of vikings.

The moment Ragnar becomes unpopular with his men is the moment he stops being Jarl. There really isn't much he can do to stop them. Remember, Ragnar became Jarl by killing the previous Jarl and being popular enough that people were more or less okay with that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ithle01 posted:

The moment Ragnar becomes unpopular with his men is the moment he stops being Jarl. There really isn't much he can do to stop them. Remember, Ragnar became Jarl by killing the previous Jarl and being popular enough that people were more or less okay with that.

Their system worked, our system... not so much

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

life is killing me posted:

King Horik didn't fly off the handle for no reason. The other guy was scoping out the camp and trying to gather intel on troop strength, weapons, etc. There's a part where the guy is trying to look around Horik to see into the encampment and Horik notices it immediately. Horik didn't kill him out of spite but because he was a spy.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Goddamn, this show is awesome. That whole battle at the harbour/town square was more convincing and well-produced than anything they've done on Game of Thrones.

At this point it basically is historical fantasy, and it's probably best not to be concerned with any sort of ties to real world history, since everything about it is so embellished.

Lagertha now lives in Hedeby. This is what Hedeby looks like in the show:

This is what Hedeby actually looks like:

Bjorn asked Sigvard about going into the mountains. There are no mountains in this entire region!

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 17, 2014

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Hakkesshu posted:

Bjorn asked Sigvard about going into the mountains. There are no mountains in this entire region!

He just wanted to get reeeeally loving far away.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Bolow posted:

King Horik didn't fly off the handle for no reason. The other guy was scoping out the camp and trying to gather intel on troop strength, weapons, etc. There's a part where the guy is trying to look around Horik to see into the encampment and Horik notices it immediately. Horik didn't kill him out of spite but because he was a spy.

While this is true, I do think spite and jealousy towards Ragnar motivated him too, also maybe some lingering anger over his son getting shot earlier.

Nycticeius posted:

He just wanted to get reeeeally loving far away.

nice

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

YouTuber posted:

:black101: History is loving cool when you take the time to sort out how many threads are running concurrent to the story being told.

The bit with Charlemagne is probably based off a famous incident attributed to him where, near the end of his reign, he sees longboats off in the horizon and prophetically says 'welp that's going to suck,' (parapharsed :v:) as if to predict the next hundred years or so of serious viking incursion. Most likely, however, that was a bit of historical revisionism by people who were living during terrible viking times; the incident did not occur but people figured a great man like Charlemagne would have the foresight to predict it. Interestingly, some scholars attribute some of the blame for the viking age on Charlemagne, whose aggressive spread of christianity lead to some church burnings in southern denmark, leading to norse revenge raids that quickly became a profitable and popular activity for them.

As an aside, another prophetic "quote" is the one attributed to Socrates re: youths getting shittier and shittier, which people love using on the net. Not long after Socrates' life Greece's power was waning, politics were more fractured and their golden age was running out. Soon they were playing second fiddle, if even that, to Sparta and other Mediterranean powers. It is likely Socrates never said anything about youths but future writers included it to spiff up his image, as they often did with Socrates.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Hakkesshu posted:

Goddamn, this show is awesome. That whole battle at the harbour/town square was more convincing and well-produced than anything they've done on Game of Thrones.

At this point it basically is historical fantasy, and it's probably best not to be concerned with any sort of ties to real world history, since everything about it is so embellished.

It's pretty clear that the writers give gently caress all about geographical consistency; didn't you know that Scandinavia is all fjords and mountains???

Flatland? What? That's England, bro.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nutranurse posted:

It's pretty clear that the writers give gently caress all about geographical consistency; didn't you know that Scandinavia is all fjords and mountains???

Flatland? What? That's England, bro.

Well sure, but then the area in the show is just where the vikings in question live. I kinda figured they put them in a fjord in front of mountains right on the sea because most people think that's the kind of place ALL vikings lived, and we wouldn't want to confuse anyone. They'd probably get calls saying, "Hey Vikings lived in Fjords, STUPIDS!"

Bolow posted:

Oh poo poo, I guess I wasn't paying enough attention or really thinking hard enough about it, but you're right. At first I was thinking, well poo poo, they're just out of nowhere portraying Vikings as these bloodthirsty savage beasts who kill anyone who even looks at them wrong. And it made sense to me at the time since that's no doubt how the Saxons thought of them when the Vikings first started tying Saxon bishops up and shooting arrows at them for sport.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 18, 2014

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Hakkesshu posted:

I really like how this thread has taught me how pretty the Scandinavian countryside is.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I love that this show doesn't sugarcoat the fact that our protagonists comprise an army that's invading other nations and slaughtering innocents. On the other hand, I wonder if that scene with them shooting the priest for shits and giggles might not go too far into vilifying this culture beyond what actually happened in, well, history. We have to remember that a lot of accounts of viking invasions and raids come from other cultures, who may or may not have (but probably did, let's be real here) exaggerated the savagery and immorality of their enemies. It's why we even have such preconceptions of vikings as a barbaric and bloodthirsty culture, which this very show has (ironically?) done a lot to refute in the first place.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
Gotta say I'm not really a fan of the Reznor-esque Doom soundtrack they have going in incidental scenes...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I love that this show doesn't sugarcoat the fact that our protagonists comprise an army that's invading other nations and slaughtering innocents. On the other hand, I wonder if that scene with them shooting the priest for shits and giggles might not go too far into vilifying this culture beyond what actually happened in, well, history. We have to remember that a lot of accounts of viking invasions and raids come from other cultures, who may or may not have (but probably did, let's be real here) exaggerated the savagery and immorality of their enemies. It's why we even have such preconceptions of vikings as a barbaric and bloodthirsty culture, which this very show has (ironically?) done a lot to refute in the first place.

The monastery bloodbath scene from season 1 was really fantastic

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

HenessyHero posted:

As an aside, another prophetic "quote" is the one attributed to Socrates re: youths getting shittier and shittier, which people love using on the net. Not long after Socrates' life Greece's power was waning, politics were more fractured and their golden age was running out. Soon they were playing second fiddle, if even that, to Sparta and other Mediterranean powers. It is likely Socrates never said anything about youths but future writers included it to spiff up his image, as they often did with Socrates.

Minor nitpick, but you probably mean Athens not Greece here, since Sparta was a Greek city state too. And it can be argued that Greece was at its highest in the Greeco-Macedonian empire that Alexander formed.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Equester posted:

Minor nitpick, but you probably mean Athens not Greece here, since Sparta was a Greek city state too. And it can be argued that Greece was at its highest in the Greeco-Macedonian empire that Alexander formed.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
The eagle is your destiny... BLOOD EAGLE THAT IS :black101::hf::rimshot:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

The eagle is your destiny... BLOOD EAGLE THAT IS :black101::hf::rimshot:

Was that an eagles wingbone the seer was holding?

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Hey sweet title change.

Props to Siggy for being the less irritating character this time around.

Also keep forgetting the Seer exists.

f/e: heh "lets get naked bro"

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
all that marble looks boss as gently caress

ecbert :c00l:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ragnar looked about as uncomfortable as I would look as I eased into a pool with a naked guy

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Forgot to post this earlier, but the Vikings Facebook page knows what we want:

quote:

Vikings Season 2 Episode 4 Sneak Peek
Bath time business deals, Kattegat power struggles, a long awaited reunion, and a Baby Goat appearance are just a taste of what the gods have in store for tonight's all new episode of Vikings at 10/9c. Watch this teaser to get ready for the action.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Zero One posted:

Forgot to post this earlier, but the Vikings Facebook page knows what we want:

haha that is fantastic

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Bjorn gonna kill that punk

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

No More Heroes posted:

Bjorn gonna kill that punk

That proved unnecessary, but I am kinda curious how he hasn't yet already.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Siggy has impeccable eyeliner.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
It is about time Bjorn gave his stabbin' muscles a workout.

Also how did that dude find Ragnar/Horik to deliver the message? This is going to bug me...

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
I can't wait until the norn's "eagle" vision just ends up with Horik getting the ol' blood eagle.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
+1 Baby goat

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
How many dudes survived the trip back with Ragnar? I thought each ship carried 20-30 + the 20? warriors Rollo got. I didn't think Borg had that many warriors left.

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
Also, how many drat people does Horik have with him? It looked like he sailed in with maybe 5 or 6 ships, but a good number of his men died in the initial raid. Rollo said he found 20 or 30 more people willing to fight in the farming villages, and Ragnar just showed up with 4 boats full of their best warriors. Seems like that would be plenty, especially if they just conducted a few night raids and picked people off in chunks.

^Beaten by a couple seconds.

I couldn't quite make out what Floki was saying about ships sinking, did he mean on the return journey, as in the four ships that set off back home didn't all make it?

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Also, how many drat people does Horik have with him? It looked like he sailed in with maybe 5 or 6 ships, but a good number of his men died in the initial raid. Rollo said he found 20 or 30 more people willing to fight in the farming villages, and Ragnar just showed up with 4 boats full of their best warriors. Seems like that would be plenty, especially if they just conducted a few night raids and picked people off in chunks.

^Beaten by a couple seconds.

I couldn't quite make out what Floki was saying about ships sinking, did he mean on the return journey, as in the four ships that set off back home didn't all make it?

Yeah, 2 of the 4 ships they sailed back from England with sunk.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Yeah it was probably the return trip. He probably wouldn't be that gloomy around his wife if it happened several weeks ago or however long the trip to Wessex was.

EDIT: Beaten

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
oh gently caress athelstan :stare:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Holy poo poo Athelstan

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
:stare: Nooooo