Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

30k should be covered. 40k is DSG service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
The Hornet just got picked up and is on its way to Texas. I'll have some photos in a couple of days when it arrives.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Sir Tonk posted:

The Hornet just got picked up and is on its way to Texas. I'll have some photos in a couple of days when it arrives.

:woop: Awesome.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

It has arrived. And boy is it dirty.

Gonna spend some time cleaning it today and tomorrow after work before I post some decent shots. Drives OK and the brakes work, definitely needs a bunch of suspension parts changed.

Hope to have more up soon, seems like it'll be a fun project.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Took some pictures of my station wagon and a friends. Mine is yellow, his is silver.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Few cars look good in yellow. Audi wagons are one of those cars.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Love the S4 Avant. My dad had a couple (2001, 2004). Yellow looks great, saw one here a few weeks ago. Car is almost impossible to find now used.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 10, 2014

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

A post on Jalopnik led to a search for classic Japanese cars and I found this gem.

https://www.jdmlegends.com/?p=5764

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Holy poo poo! Toyota used to be so loving good at making beautiful cars.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hansolio posted:

A post on Jalopnik led to a search for classic Japanese cars and I found this gem.

God drat.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sir Tonk posted:

It has arrived. And boy is it dirty.

Gonna spend some time cleaning it today and tomorrow after work before I post some decent shots. Drives OK and the brakes work, definitely needs a bunch of suspension parts changed.

Hope to have more up soon, seems like it'll be a fun project.

Kinda jealous, this thing rules. I wish AMCs were more common out here.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

Terrible Robot posted:

Holy poo poo! Toyota used to be so loving good at making beautiful cars.

It is absolutely stunning, and at 17 grand I'm trying to figure out how fast I can get rid of my GTI to pick it up, even if it is impossible to find parts for.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Hansolio posted:

That is absolutely amazing. And what a good color.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Kinda jealous, this thing rules. I wish AMCs were more common out here.

You and me both. I sure didn't want to deal with shipping a car.

Going to the Houston AMC club monthly meeting with it tomorrow. Only had a few minutes with it today, before working for twelve hours, so we'll see how I feel driving it tomorrow after work.

edit

A few photos from today's initial cleaning session.

The engine, before cleaning. I'll get a shot tomorrow of it after a bunch of scrubbing. Going to paint the valve cover and air cleaner next weekend, hopefully.

That stuff on the driver side is where the seat threw up all its contents. The filler was half an inch thick from being under a floor mat for quite a long time. Still haven't gotten it all out of the carpet.

Found these in the back. They've gotta be from around the time they purchased the car.

And a picture from tonight's trip to meet the locals. All their talk of building Javelins with 401's and four speeds didn't phase the Hornet with it's dependable straight six and Torque-Command.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 12, 2014

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Hansolio posted:

A few old JDM wagon gems at Fuji Speedway I took. Soooooo sexy

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Sir Tonk posted:

The engine, before cleaning. I'll get a shot tomorrow of it after a bunch of scrubbing. Going to paint the valve cover and air cleaner next weekend, hopefully.

That stuff on the driver side is where the seat threw up all its contents. The filler was half an inch thick from being under a floor mat for quite a long time. Still haven't gotten it all out of the carpet.

Found these in the back. They've gotta be from around the time they purchased the car.

And a picture from tonight's trip to meet the locals. All their talk of building Javelins with 401's and four speeds didn't phase the Hornet with it's dependable straight six and Torque-Command.

Man, I wished you lived near Chicago. That thing kicks rear end. Green 70's cars fo' life.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
It's been lovely out the past few days, so here's a picture of the green Hornet in the rain for St Patrick's Day.

Mattress Man
Apr 3, 2009

:dukedog:
Picked up a new 328 wagon today. I don't know why they don't sell more of these.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Because they're not 335's.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

DropShadow posted:

Because they're not 335's.

:rimshot:

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

That's why I don't have one. If BMW offered a manual 335i Touring, I'd be all over it.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
I started looking around at wagons recently since I began to miss my old Volvo wagon. I found this and I'm curious if I should even waste my time. I really like the aesthetics, and who wouldn't want a twin turbo AWD wagon?

I showed it to the gf, and I didn't expect the look of total disgust on her face. I thought that was weird but it sparked a larger conversation at work today and we've come to the conclusion that girls don't like wagons. None of us understand why, though one woman said, "I don't want to drive a car that looks like I might have 2 kids in the back." That's as close to an explanation as any of us have gotten.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The Allroad versions do look pretty gross to me - just like all the other faux SUV wagons and hatchbacks.

The normal A6 Avant on the other hand is a great looking car.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

dissss posted:

The Allroad versions do look pretty gross to me - just like all the other faux SUV wagons and hatchbacks.

The normal A6 Avant on the other hand is a great looking car.

I think it sits too high and I don't like the wheels/tires so much so I'd change that but otherwise, I think they look pretty awesome.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

delpheye posted:

I think it sits too high and I don't like the wheels/tires so much so I'd change that but otherwise, I think they look pretty awesome.

Don't those have the adjustable ride height?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

delpheye posted:

I started looking around at wagons recently since I began to miss my old Volvo wagon. I found this and I'm curious if I should even waste my time. I really like the aesthetics, and who wouldn't want a twin turbo AWD wagon?

I showed it to the gf, and I didn't expect the look of total disgust on her face. I thought that was weird but it sparked a larger conversation at work today and we've come to the conclusion that girls don't like wagons. None of us understand why, though one woman said, "I don't want to drive a car that looks like I might have 2 kids in the back." That's as close to an explanation as any of us have gotten.

I guess I got lucky since my gf loves wagons and was all for getting the JSW that we have now.

She actually wants a 240DL wagon as well, so I might have to pick one up as project at some point.

SyHopeful posted:

Don't those have the adjustable ride height?

Yea, pretty sure they do, but even with that all the way down it sits higher than a standard a6 avant.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I think the Allroad looks pretty good.

I'm pondering my next car and the Mazda Protege 5 is pretty appealing. A friend tells me they're good fun and reliable, and junkyards contain enough of them for lots of parts to be cheap and readily available.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

ExecuDork posted:

I'm pondering my next car and the Mazda Protege 5 is pretty appealing. A friend tells me they're good fun and reliable, and junkyards contain enough of them for lots of parts to be cheap and readily available.

I'm also trying to buy a Protege5 for around $3500... poo poo is hard to find.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

Aren't you just getting out of a car that's 90% rust?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Aren't you just getting out of a car that's 90% rust?

Uh... yeah. Rust is my constant companion, for my budget I don't think it's at all escapable.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

delpheye posted:

This is all anecdotal because I've only helped my buddy wrench on one.

DON'T.

The compressor for the rear is woefully underpowered and the electronics for the leveling system have proven...less than useful. The A6/first gen Allroad has a hilariously complicated front suspension. Yeah, wagons=yes, allroad=no

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

ExecuDork posted:

Uh... yeah. Rust is my constant companion, for my budget I don't think it's at all escapable.

As a previous P5 owner, I just want to add that while the it handles really really well for a FWD car, I think Mazda got there with the platform by making things really loving harsh. Its really fun to romp around in for the occasional drive but when I started commuting daily it got old really fast. The Audi A3 I just picked up for comparison manages to handle just as well without crunching my spine.

The engine is also really wheezy with an automatic. Don't buy the automatic. Don't even consider trying to make that FS-DE engine perform because it just won't. That lump is a remnant from the cold war and is tapped right out for performance in its final iteration.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

delpheye posted:

No, it is more of a non-car person thing. I know plenty of women who like wagons and plenty of men who hate them. You either get them or you don't. Generally the same people who hate wagons love CUVs for some horrible reason.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Got some new tires for the Hornet, but still haven't been able to really clean it with the weather and crazy work schedule. Mostly doing small stuff like painting the air cleaner and ordering suspension parts.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

C5 allroads are awesome. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a 6-speed example last year that was beautifully preserved and mechanically sound for $5k. They are all over the place here in Minnesota, and people hang onto them. I've got a friend who just bought a Tial big turbo kit for his. With a tune, he'll be over 500chp.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DropShadow posted:

C5 allroads are awesome. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a 6-speed example last year that was beautifully preserved and mechanically sound for $5k. They are all over the place here in Minnesota, and people hang onto them. I've got a friend who just bought a Tial big turbo kit for his. With a tune, he'll be over 500chp.

Hello fellow Minneapolis resident and 2011 A4 Avant owner :cool:

Anyway, the allroad is perfectly fine except for it's price. It's several thousand more than a Q5!

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Hello fellow Minneapolis resident and 2011 A4 Avant owner :cool:

Anyway, the allroad is perfectly fine except for it's price. It's several thousand more than a Q5!

Former 2011 A4 Avant owner. ;)

B8 A4 Allroads are nice, but like my '11 Avant, underpowered. C5 allroads are the poo poo.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

DropShadow posted:

Former 2011 A4 Avant owner. ;)

B8 A4 Allroads are nice, but like my '11 Avant, underpowered. C5 allroads are the poo poo.

Did they ever make a manual V8? I am guessing not, but I've never seen firm evidence that they don't exist aside from never seeing or hearing about one. Still kinda miss mine after it got totaled a year or two ago.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

DropShadow posted:

They're awesome until something breaks. Air suspension, a 2.7TT, and random early 00 audi poo poo would terrify me. Even the C5 S6 seems less scary by comparison (though the 2.7TT has much more potential than the V8).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Steve French posted:

Did they ever make a manual V8? I am guessing not, but I've never seen firm evidence that they don't exist aside from never seeing or hearing about one. Still kinda miss mine after it got totaled a year or two ago.

Nope, the 4.2 was auto-only.

nm posted:

They're awesome until something breaks. Air suspension, a 2.7TT, and random early 00 audi poo poo would terrify me. Even the C5 S6 seems less scary by comparison (though the 2.7TT has much more potential than the V8).

True, they're not for folks who aren't able or willing to maintain them.

• Locked thread