Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The latter seasons are better but the first few with their xHARDCOREx early-00s rock music and forced edgyness and general tone of "THIS AIN'T YOUR DAD'S BASIC CABLE COP DRAMA :emo:" are just laugable in every sense.

This is exactly how I feel and why I've never been able to get more than a few episodes into season 1. It tries so hard to let you know how gritty and unique it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
its just the first season thats like that

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I had a family member who recently watched it for the first time and I had to assure her that she just had to get past all that heavy handed "good cop and bad cop have left for the day, I'm a different kind of cop" stuff and get to the meat of the show. The show just has some over the top bravado at first. It settles down eventually.

It also probably seems a little sillier a decade later since tv has so much more edgier and dark stuff now than it had when the Shield premiered. So that sell just seems very silly when it was kind of appropriate at the time.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Deadpool posted:

The one episode of Crisis I've seen was a thousand times better than what I saw of Hostages. It's not great, it's really ridiculous, but it's the right kind of ridiculous I think. Plus it has a lot of really cool people in it and that's the kind of thing that will get me to stick around a show that isn't great.
"YES I AM A BUG... BUT TODAY THE BUG IS KING!"

I mean Crisis will undoubtedly get progressively worse and more boring, but yeah, right now it knows just how ridiculous to be. I mean that's a Street Fighter The Movie worthy line.

Also the drone dropping out of the sky into the parking lot was straight out of a Warner Bros cartoon in how they depicted it and the comic timing.

The ads for this show making it look contemplative and serious really undersold it.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I cringe over everything Doug does or says in House of Lies. The man truly is an emotional terrorist.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I used to love The Commish so it's tough for me to watch Shield.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everytime I hear that xtreme 90s salsa rap intro bullshit it just puts me in a bad mood, that's probably most of it tbh.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I've literally just started watching The Shield for the first time (on the second last ep of season 1) and I'm enjoying it immensely. There definitely is some of that forced edginess but god drat are there great moments too. When Dutch finally catches the serial killer and how he buys time for warrants etc was magical. Also when Julian(?) puts his gun away and begs to be killed by the guy he was chasing was brilliant.

Really enjoying it so far and hope it only gets better.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I wish I could be you and watch it for the first time again

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Shield keeps getting better after the stupid Bawitdaba scene.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mu Zeta posted:

YOu mena one of the most important scenes of the show, and what most of the action of the show is due to?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's the important scene along with the heist but I thought it was terribly done. The first time I saw it I almost turned it off after the pilot. Awful badass music and look how bad this cop is mothafuckaaaaa.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Lugaloco posted:

I've literally just started watching The Shield for the first time (on the second last ep of season 1) and I'm enjoying it immensely. There definitely is some of that forced edginess but god drat are there great moments too. When Dutch finally catches the serial killer and how he buys time for warrants etc was magical. Also when Julian(?) puts his gun away and begs to be killed by the guy he was chasing was brilliant.

Really enjoying it so far and hope it only gets better.

Please post a lot in the Shields thread (everything is careful behind spoiler tags) so we can live vicariously through you thanks whenever something like that happens

Mu Zeta posted:

The Shield manage to make a Kid Rock sound properly badass. Think about that.

Insert non-existent gif of Lem playing guitar with his shotty. :colbert:

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 17, 2014

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

The Shield is a drama on FX from 2002-2008 about a corrupt cop running a strike team in LA.

Oh. I didn't read the "the" and I assumed he just meant S.H.I.E.L.D. I think I've only seen the pilot of that show. It stars Hank from Breaking Bad right?

Meh, I think I've seen too many shows like it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ravane posted:

Oh. I didn't read the "the" and I assumed he just meant S.H.I.E.L.D. I think I've only seen the pilot of that show. It stars Hank from Breaking Bad right?

:catstare:

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Ravane posted:

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Ravane posted:

Oy Vey.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ravane posted:

This is beautiful work :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've never watched The Shield, well, I've tried to watch it a few times and never get past the pilot.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

precision posted:

I've never watched The Shield, well, I've tried to watch it a few times and never get past the pilot.

So you've made it all the way to the end of the pilot and thought 'Meh, don't care to know where this is going'?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I watched three seasons of it based on the "OMG THIS IS A GROUNDBREAKING SHOW GUYS" posts from forums and critics alike and it just never got there for me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Louie has never made be laugh. I like his stand-up better.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Mu Zeta posted:

I really only enjoyed the bits where his stand-up was spliced in. He's a great guy, and he's probably my fave currently performing comic except maybe Aziz Ansari but the show just didn't really click with me.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Mad Men is really boring, and not actually particularly feminist. Jon Hamm should stick to comedy, he's really stiff in the show. :smugdog:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's only "shame" if you feel bad about your opinion not smugly superior. Then it's just being contrarian.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Spatula City posted:

Mad Men is really boring, and not actually particularly feminist. Jon Hamm should stick to comedy, he's really stiff in the show. :smugdog:

You're boring and his comedy sucks.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've liked him on SNL.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
My greatest tv shame is that I have all seven seasons of Gilmore Girls on DVD.

Mu Zeta posted:

A lot of Louie's appeal comes from the same kind of wish-fulfillment that drives New Girl, except where New Girl targets guys in their late 20s and early 30s, Louie focuses on middle aged men in their 40s.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I wish Zooey Deschanel would get hit by a bus. What is the show for me?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

My greatest tv shame is that I have all seven seasons of Gilmore Girls on DVD.

That's a good one.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

zoux posted:

Everyone confess their secret TV shame. Mine is, I don't like The Shield that much. :/

I'm not ashamed of any of the opinions I hold about TV shows but I'm ashamed of what I did.

I watched about 3 and a half seasons of Secret Life a few months back despite hating it with more energy than I should probably have given to a bad TV show, just to see if it could get any worse.

I had to stop when the old title of the Freeper thread (There is always more...) proved itself to be true time and time and time again in relation to what I was watching, and I just couldn't take anymore.

Seriously, if you want to see put yourself through a case study of a TV show that's bad in every way imaginable and has no redeeming features at all (you don't) then The Secret Life of the American Teenager is that and more. An invaluable entry into any budding torturers toolbox.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I think all the incessant whining about Agents of Shield is insanity.

edit: idk this sounds more like an unpopular opinion but w/e

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Kraps posted:

I think all the incessant whining about Agents of Shield is insanity.

edit: idk this sounds more like an unpopular opinion but w/e

Agents of Shield is not something I would consider to be good tv, but a lot of people are acting like it's the television equivalent of inhuman war crimes for some reason.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't like Craig Ferguson.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Twee as gently caress posted:

Agents of Shield is not something I would consider to be good tv, but a lot of people are acting like it's the television equivalent of inhuman war crimes for some reason.

I thought everyone just stopped watching it? Is the thread hatewatching now or something? It's not even bad enough for that, like something like Terra Nova was, SHIELD is just textbook mediocrity.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I'm still watching it and enjoying it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I couldn't get into Veep. I watched the first few episodes and it just didn't stick.

Same with Parks & Rec and The Office. There are bits that I liked but nothing that made me really laugh out loud. I think it's the format.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreenNight posted:

I'm still watching it and enjoying it.

I'll probably watch it when it eventually comes to Netflix. A show has to be very loving good for me to actually take the time to sit down and watch it week to week on a TV so AoS seems like prime bingebait to me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's interesting because it's much easier for me to watch a show that's just okay week to week but if I'm going to commit to bingeing something it needs to really grip me. For instance, I finally gave up on Continuum halfway through season two because every time I considered watching another episode I felt like I'd rather be doing something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't watch anything live ever because I hate ads and I'm usually doing other stuff during primetime. Also my roommates monopolize the TV with video games and I much prefer to watch poo poo on my iPad anyway. So my week to week shows like B99, Arrow, Community, etc. I watch on Hulu on my lunch hour, and everything else I usually wait a year until they come to some streaming service.

• Locked thread